Coaching Carousel

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxphan20

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:44 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:30 pm Does playing for someone make one part of a coaching tree? Kady played at Loyola. Did she coach there at all?
nope
Honestly I thought playing for someone did, my bad. My point was more to recognize all the coaches that have come out of Loyola.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

I think of it as playing for someone as well as coaching under them. The famous Mike Messere out of West Genny has an extensive "coaching tree" that is referenced a lot on boys side. Isn't Cindy Timchal also credited with the most historic coaching tree on the Women's side ? Wish TL was here to quickly tell me how many MD grads also coached with her.
DMac

Post by DMac »

While I can see how technically one who played for a coach wouldn't be considered part of the coaching tree, it's also true that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. That coach's influence helped grow that player and as she branches out that influence is rooted in her. Would be pretty hard to say Halle, Michelle, and Becca aren't part of Gary's tree, for example. JMHO.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Gary is a branch of Cindy's - he was on her staff for 6 years. She really is the Godmother of lacrosse.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

tothedraw wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:56 pm Gary is a branch of Cindy's - he was on her staff for 6 years. She really is the Godmother of lacrosse.

Gary was at Maryland for NINE years.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

I did a very quick Wiki search (because coaching bios on team sites are so darn long). It said he was there 95-01, my mistake.

When I had time, I read SU full bio and found article below.

The last paragraph the female author admits -with humor- it should be Cindy's tree but because the reading audience of this is mostly men she is using Gary's name to get male readers educated on women's lacrosse history.

https://laxallstars.com/the-gary-gait-c ... hing-tree/
DMac

Post by DMac »

Cindy is the Godmother, and
Gary is the Godfather. ;)
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

I think MD should brag about it more on their Instagram!

Did the writer forget KAH who graduated in 1996 and AWW who (if I have my dates right) would have been coached by both legends for her freshman year 2002 ? I can't imagine the school sites you'd have to visit to find all the MD branches.

Interesting (to me at least) on the men's side 5 of 6 head coaches in all 3 Div National Champion games were from Central NY. Couldn't find where Lenoir Ryhne coach attended HS. It really is a small world.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Kenzie Kent hired as Syracuse Assistant Coach
Laxinfordays

Post by Laxinfordays »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:40 pm Kenzie Kent hired as Syracuse Assistant Coach
it’s about time they announced it
DMac

Post by DMac »

Absolutely love this!!!
Welcome to the Cuse, Kenzie.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Kent's in--who's out?

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

So who does that eliminate--Defliese or Pirreca? Gebhardt is still listed as the Volunteer Assistant and Defliese and Pirreca as Assistant Coaches.

(Note: Not that Syracuse places a lot of stress on updating their website. They still had Gait listed as head coach days after the Treanor press conference.)
Laxinfordays

Re: Kent's in--who's out?

Post by Laxinfordays »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:34 pm So who does that eliminate--Defliese or Pirreca? Gebhardt is still listed as the Volunteer Assistant and Defliese and Pirreca as Assistant Coaches.

(Note: Not that Syracuse places a lot of stress on updating their website. They still had Gait listed as head coach days after the Treanor press conference.)
Stay tuned
Dr. Tact

Re: Kent's in--who's out?

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:34 pm So who does that eliminate--Defliese or Pirreca? Gebhardt is still listed as the Volunteer Assistant and Defliese and Pirreca as Assistant Coaches.

I think the answer to your question will be clear in a few days.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

I would think Defliese for stability and getting that D settled in. Pirecca to Stony Brook or Florida ? Two of her "homes".

Pure guesses here, absolutely no inside info.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

tothedraw wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:12 pm I would think Defliese for stability and getting that D settled in. Pirecca to Stony Brook or Florida ? Two of her "homes".

Good speculation there, tothedraw. Pirreca would seem to be a perfect fit in both places. But we shall see...
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

tothedraw wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:12 pm I would think Defliese for stability and getting that D settled in. Pirecca to Stony Brook or Florida ? Two of her "homes".

Florida had one too many coaches until the recent announcement that Nadine Hadnagy was the new Director of Operations at Maryland. I do not see them kicking Taryn Vanthof or Regy Thorpe to the curb to bring in a relatively green coach in Pirreca.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

There are a lot of experienced cooks in that kitchen.
howdyyall

Post by howdyyall »

@inthe8m wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:08 am

Florida had one too many coaches until the recent announcement that Nadine Hadnagy was the new Director of Operations at Maryland. I do not see them kicking Taryn Vanthof or Regy Thorpe to the curb to bring in a relatively green coach in Pirreca.
Pirecca is at Stony brook.
Last edited by howdyyall on Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laxinfordays

Post by Laxinfordays »

howdyyall wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:30 pm
@inthe8m wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:08 am

She’s at Stony brook.
Indeed.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”