All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

kramerica.inc

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by kramerica.inc »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:15 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:13 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:10 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:50 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:07 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:52 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:47 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:41 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:30 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:26 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:20 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:02 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:44 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:28 am Be careful. You are treading awfully close- Viruses shouldn’t be described as “Chinese” lest you want to get your hand slapped…

:lol:
Or because viruses don’t have nationalities therefore there’s another meaning and politicization of a deadly disease which only stupid people would do.
Not really. Foods have nationalities, dogs, and even other viruses are named after locations and given nationalities.
It's may not be your preferred practice, or preferred by those who are easily offended, but it's quite common for much of the world.
But if it is something that you would like to personally control in your life, to make a difference, by all means, go ahead.
Given names doesn’t mean they are inherent to their existence. You’re also mixing cultures and borders without acknowledging the difference. Makes the whole argument kind of valueless.

Being named after isn’t the same as having the essence of. And if you believe this was manufactured then it’s really dumb to behave that way but go ahead.
COVID-19 could have easily been called Wuhan virus. But given the political climate, that too would have been too charged. In order to focus on the task at hand, the generic COVID-19 was a good call. I suppose Kramer favors calling aids the African virus.
Strawman.

Correct and truthful adjectives aren't always preferred or perfect. But it doesn't make them wrong.
But it doesn’t make them right.
It is "right" if it's correct and truthful in terms of accuracy. Writer has the discretion, even if the reader/listener doesn't think it's necessary.
Absolutely. “Chinese virus” would not have any precedent for naming a novel virus. It wouldn’t be truthful, slick.
And yet "Wuhan CoronaVirus" was used by the newspapers too:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/02/heal ... china.html
I thought I mentioned Wuhan as a possibility? Pay attention.
The message is kram agrees with and has legitimized the NY Times
NYT is a legit newspaper. You're not gonna hear me say much about them.
But I wrote for the WaPo. And we were better.
Im no fan of NYT-know for a fact they didn’t do their jobs well in a hit job in Hobart around a decade ago from inside of HWS. They refused to take primary source information from the school and conflated us with Florida St. Have always preferred the WaPo from the time I lived in DC on.
Writers and editors are like cops or teachers, whatever. There are good ones and bad ones. That mistake sounds like it came from incompetency, laziness, or a stubborn jerk.
The most frustrating thing as writer is the lack of control you have over a story once you hit submit. Better hope you have a good editor. More than just a grammarian- one that understands historical context, knows its readers, and doesn't tilt the stories to meet an agenda or to grab eyes. The story should also be able to stand by itself.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:43 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:28 am Be careful. You are treading awfully close- Viruses shouldn’t be described as “Chinese” lest you want to get your hand slapped…

Or because viruses don’t have nationalities therefore there’s another meaning and politicization of a deadly disease which only stupid people would do.
Not really. Foods have nationalities, dogs, and even other viruses are named after locations and given nationalities.
It's may not be your preferred practice, or preferred by those who are easily offended, but it's quite common for much of the world.
But if it is something that you would like to personally control in your life, to make a difference, by all means, go ahead.
Given names doesn’t mean they are inherent to their existence. You’re also mixing cultures and borders without acknowledging the difference. Makes the whole argument kind of valueless.

Being named after isn’t the same as having the essence of. And if you believe this was manufactured then it’s really dumb to behave that way but go ahead.
COVID-19 could have easily been called Wuhan virus. But given the political climate, that too would have been too charged. In order to focus on the task at hand, the generic COVID-19 was a good call. I suppose Kramer favors calling aids the African virus.
Strawman.

Correct and truthful adjectives aren't always preferred or perfect. But it doesn't make them wrong.
It is "right" if it's correct and truthful in terms of accuracy. Writer has the discretion, even if the reader/listener doesn't think it's necessary.
Absolutely. “Chinese virus” would not have any precedent for naming a novel virus. It wouldn’t be truthful, slick.

Im no fan of NYT-know for a fact they didn’t do their jobs well in a hit job in Hobart around a decade ago from inside of HWS. They refused to take primary source information from the school and conflated us with Florida St. Have always preferred the WaPo from the time I lived in DC on.
Writers and editors are like cops or teachers, whatever. There are good ones and bad ones. That mistake sounds like it came from incompetency, laziness, or a stubborn jerk.
The most frustrating thing as writer is the lack of control you have over a story once you hit submit. Better hope you have a good editor. More than just a grammarian- one that understands historical context, knows its readers, and doesn't tilt the stories to meet an agenda or to grab eyes. The story should also be able to stand by itself.
And basic research and due diligence done before submitting and article (or post). Low hanging fruit that often isn’t picked.
“I wish you would!”
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:27 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:06 pm

Strawman.

Likewise. You too.

I mentioned that I leaned more toward Chinese CoronaVirus the way the newspapers did in those first few months. Although Wuhan is the place where it was first noticed...so that would be an accurate take also.
Which “newspapers” named it “Chinese Virus”?
Quite a few reputable ones used the title early in 2020. LA Times comes to mind off the top of my head. But good luck finding them in a Google search. Once Trump used the phrase in a mean tweet, Google's language police buried many of those results.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:45 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:43 pm

Strawman.

And basic research and due diligence done before submitting and article (or post). Low hanging fruit that often isn’t picked.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning:

Being told, "Write this."
Being asked, "Where is the story?
The jerk editors don't care if the story has legs. OR if your source has called you back.
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:53 pm

Strawman.

Likewise. You too.

I mentioned that I leaned more toward Chinese CoronaVirus the way the newspapers did in those first few months. Although Wuhan is the place where it was first noticed...so that would be an accurate take also.
Quite a few reputable ones used the title early in 2020. LA Times comes to mind off the top of my head. But good luck finding them in a Google search. Once Trump used the phrase in a mean tweet, Google's language police buried many of those results.
Uhhh yeah. Have you researched naming conventions for viruses? Yes or no?
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Re: All things CoronaVirus

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/medica ... -outbreak/

EDIT: Happened to run across the article above when looking for an LA Times reference to Chinese Virus. I hadn’t seen that reporting about LA during the early days of Covid and found it interesting. Posted it because other may have missed it too. NOT MEANT TO CHANGE SUBJECT……

Waiting for answers of the research regarding naming convention for viruses….a good report would jump that low hurdle.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

TLD backed in to the corner...then pivots like a champ to ask a question changing discussion. :lol: CLassic.

2 minutes worth of Jina virus from the fake news talking heads. https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... times.html :lol:

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:08 pm TLD backed in to the corner...then pivots like a champ to ask a question changing discussion. :lol: CLassic.

2 minutes worth of Jina virus from the fake news talking heads. https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... times.html :lol:

Backed in a corner? I asked him a question and when looking to see if the LA Times ran an article calling the virus “Chinese Virus” I saw that early article. Found it interesting. I should have provided a lead it to it but I didn’t. I see you can try a “gotcha” but won’t answer direct questions. Pathetic.

EDIT: added context above. Good looking out 👍
“I wish you would!”
ggait

Post by ggait »

Apologize. I have two friends who cant get the vaccine for medical reasons. It is fresh on my mind.
But it's a legit concern. The point is all education systems MUST have an alternative.
I already said it above Kram. Repeated again below:

So mandate the vax for 100% of everyone eligible (students, teachers, staff, parents, whatever) entering the school premises (subject to very narrow medical exceptions). No BS opt outs because "I'm unsure" or "I don't trust the gubmint" or "muh parental ruy-iots" or "Jesus told me so." Unless you are a Christian Scientist whose never taken any medicine of any kind, take the shot or stay home.

The number of people with legit medical/religious exemptions is vey tiny. You just can't acommodate the BS mouth breather excuses like "I don't feel like it" or "Fauci is a liar" or "Bill Gates mind control" or "muy-riots." All those folks (and their kids) can just stay the fork home if they can't do what's necessary for the greater good. They'll still be able to read bull shirt on their Facebook feed from home just fine. Fork 'em I say.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Strawman.

Likewise. You too.

Yes, folks were flailing about early on, but as you say, Trump's "mean tweet" sharpened everyone's attention to the meaning of the words, the power they had in deplorable ways. And then his ongoing insistence on using it to build anger and transfer responsibility. his callousness about how the term was being used by potentially violent bigots, the issue was very, very clear.

And once that realization kicked in, there really wasn't any excuse to use the term "Chinese" except if actually meant pejoratively about "Chinese"...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:55 pm

Strawman.

Likewise. You too.

Yes, folks were flailing about early on, but as you say, Trump's "mean tweet" sharpened everyone's attention to the meaning of the words, the power they had in deplorable ways. And then his ongoing insistence on using it to build anger and transfer responsibility. his callousness about how the term was being used by potentially violent bigots, the issue was very, very clear.

And once that realization kicked in, there really wasn't any excuse to use the term "Chinese" except if actually meant pejoratively about "Chinese"...
It’s petty and obviously as TLD posted the WHO wanted to drop
Country origins from viral names before Trump was even a serious candidate.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:11 pm

Strawman.

Likewise. You too.

There were already several “wuhan” viruses. May as well have called it “chink” virus or “yellow man” virus. A-holes.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:26 pm

Strawman.

Likewise. You too.

There were already several “wuhan” viruses. May as well have called it “chink” virus or “yellow man” virus. A-holes.
well, I understood the issue early on, but then I had a head start... I cut folks a bit of slack in the very earliest days, before there was a realization that the shorthand expressions had negative connotations...I just don't cut'em any slack once it was obvious. The well meaning folks cleaned it up.

After that, those who did use it meant exactly your alternatives, just with a wink and a nod to a semblance of propriety, plausible deniability "I'm not racist"...wink, wink...yes, a-holes.

BTW, I don't think of Kram as such, so it was troubling that he was being so dogged in the usage on the thread.

This polarized, anti-PC Trumpist thing has had all sorts of decent folks twisted in knots, IMO. My dad, a good guy, probably would have been doing the same, though he'd have caught an earful from my son and me, and his daughter...my wife would have tried to play nice...and he'd probably have shaped up for her or for my son.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Petty.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:33 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:26 pm

Strawman.

Likewise. You too.

well, I understood the issue early on, but then I had a head start... I cut folks a bit of slack in the very earliest days, before there was a realization that the shorthand expressions had negative connotations...I just don't cut'em any slack once it was obvious. The well meaning folks cleaned it up.

After that, those who did use it meant exactly your alternatives, just with a wink and a nod to a semblance of propriety, plausible deniability "I'm not racist"...wink, wink...yes, a-holes.

BTW, I don't think of Kram as such, so it was troubling that he was being so dogged in the usage on the thread.

This polarized, anti-PC Trumpist thing has had all sorts of decent folks twisted in knots, IMO. My dad, a good guy, probably would have been doing the same, though he'd have caught an earful from my son and me, and his daughter...my wife would have tried to play nice...and he'd probably have shaped up for her or for my son.
If Chinese find it offensive then it’s offensive. Good enough for me. The folks that claim “not calling it Chinese Virus is just PC” are A-holes.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:36 pmPetty.
That’s being nice.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:43 pm
That’s being nice.
I’m fighting on all fronts these days so trying to reduce the vitriol where I can and am just disgusted with more and more of this behavior in general but tired of seeing or hearing nonsense from folks.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:35 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:14 pm
ggait wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:18 pm I think everyone should be all in on doing whatever they can do to keep as many kids in school in person as much as possible.

So mandate the vax for 100% of everyone eligible (students, teachers, staff, parents, whatever) entering the school premises (subject to very narrow medical exceptions). No BS opt outs because "I'm unsure" or "I don't trust the gubmint" or "muh parental ruy-iots" or "Jesus told me so." Unless you are a Christian Scientist whose never taken any medicine of any kind, take the shot or stay home.

And then do whatever else seems useful given the local spread conditions -- ventilation, masks, spacing, whatever. In order to keep the schools open, the default setting for uncertain evolving situations should be to do more, not less.

Our kids need all of us to just STFU and suck it up.
Covid survivors , the ones with natural immunity, based on what science, do they need a vaxx ?

Otherwize, you all are just lemmings.

What is wrong with a antibodies card, instead of a vaxx card. We all know many of them are fake cards anyway.
we're at a spot in time (and circumstance) where "robust" data just isn't there and isn't forthcoming asap.

maybe next year? i'll let you know as i ramp up my vaxx card bidness.
Nice pull....not amazed that everyone ignored your article about Israel and natural immunity. ya kno.....SCIENCE

scrooge types, flicking numbers around like boogers ......chime in on everything 'lated to the orange guy and are spending their lives arguing over "naming rights" for a virus.

Meanwhile, back in real world of science, FULLY vaccinated people are actually getting covid.

for the scrooge types, what's the transfer of financials been over the past year ? With all the additional old people dead, one would figure financial winfalls for survivors, lucky sperm types...you know who you are....has been a boon and "change overs" have been brisk.

Meanwhile, back in real world of science, complete idiots are screaming about kids and covid. stfup in indeed. For starters, why rant like uninimformed types, when your gubermit has approved, even at the emergency level, for elementary aged kids and a vaxx for them. OH.....and not ONE healthy child, in my state, has died of covid. not one.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:53 am
wgdsr wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:35 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:14 pm
ggait wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:18 pm I think everyone should be all in on doing whatever they can do to keep as many kids in school in person as much as possible.

And then do whatever else seems useful given the local spread conditions -- ventilation, masks, spacing, whatever. In order to keep the schools open, the default setting for uncertain evolving situations should be to do more, not less.

Our kids need all of us to just STFU and suck it up.
Covid survivors , the ones with natural immunity, based on what science, do they need a vaxx ?

Otherwize, you all are just lemmings.

What is wrong with a antibodies card, instead of a vaxx card. We all know many of them are fake cards anyway.
we're at a spot in time (and circumstance) where "robust" data just isn't there and isn't forthcoming asap.

maybe next year? i'll let you know as i ramp up my vaxx card bidness.
Nice pull....not amazed that everyone ignored your article about Israel and natural immunity. ya kno.....SCIENCE

scrooge types, flicking numbers around like boogers ......chime in on everything 'lated to the orange guy and are spending their lives arguing over "naming rights" for a virus.

Meanwhile, back in real world of science, FULLY vaccinated people are actually getting covid.

for the scrooge types, what's the transfer of financials been over the past year ? With all the additional old people dead, one would figure financial winfalls for survivors, lucky sperm types...you know who you are....has been a boon and "change overs" have been brisk.

Meanwhile, back in real world of science, complete idiots are screaming about kids and covid. stfup in indeed. For starters, why rant like uninimformed types, when your gubermit has approved, even at the emergency level, for elementary aged kids and a vaxx for them. OH.....and not ONE healthy child, in my state, has died of covid. not one.
If you don’t have a kid now then you need to stfu about kids. Period end of story.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:43 pm
That’s being nice.
Who cares about naming rights for a virus. Talk about petty.

arguing for arguing sake.....and always circling back to Trump.

like you said, you don't care who is POTUSA, you have your eternal "hate" flame, orange of course, forever burning brightly. Blame, not, the medical community. The real screw ups.

What did your wife say when you asked her about covid survivors, natural immunity, certainly on par with a vaxx ? (which one :roll: )
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"

Return to “POLITICS”