Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Post by DMac »

Thanks, CO, but I imagine poor ol' Red is turning over in his grave right about now. I used to call in semi regularly with the sole intent to get a discussion about lacrosse on the air a little bit in that it's always about hoops, hoops, hoops here in the Cuse. Lacrosse, despite the eleven titles, is still treated like the red headed step child, definitely doesn't get the attention/respect it deserves. I haven't listened in awhile but the last host was (probably still is) Steve Infanti, a pretty good guy who absolutely bleeds orange and is a big hoops nut (played on a State Champion HS team and played at Ithaca College too). When he saw I was the caller, he'd say, DMac's on the line, guess we're going to talk about lacrosse now. I didn't care what they were talking about, I could find a way to get lacrosse in there. He was interviewing Boeheim one time at Tully's and of course all kinds of people were calling in to talk with the local god. I couldn't resist calling in as I figured when Infanti saw it was me he'd cringe and wonder what I'd have to say to Boeheim. JB actually goes to quite a few lacrosse games in the Dome, have seen him there several times, so when it was my turn I told him I had noticed that he went to quite a few lacrosse games and was wondering what he thought of the game and how big of a fan he was/is. He ended up talking about it for about ten minutes going on and on about it and saying he wished they had had it in HS when he was going. I figured it was a huge accomplishment stealing ten minutes of air time for lacrosse from the hoops show and JB himself. When he was done, Infanti said I just knew DMac was going to get lacrosse in there somehow. Too funny.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

This is the last non-NFL weekend before the season starts next week with Dallas at Tampa Bay on Thursday night. The reason I bring it up here is it's always a nice distraction for us NFL fans to pass the time until the 2022 women's lacrosse season begins on *Thursday Feb 10th. The Super Bowl will be played on February 13th, but by that time the season will be well underway with a whole bevy of games no doubt to be played that first weekend of Friday the 11th and Saturday the 12th.

* Not confirmed but that's when it started last year--the 2nd Thursday in February.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:23 pm Yeah, the summer tournaments were always an adventure of officials "letting them play." Bruised shoulders and skinned knees.
Those summers were some of the most memorable, but this is accurate. And they never did stick checks either :lol:
OuttaNowhereWregget

Watching some of the BC/Carolina semifinal again. Can’t get enough of this game. Man! Sometimes when a player beats their defender and heads to the goal for a shot the defender will take one last tomahawk swipe to jar the ball loose from the stick. It’s amazing how close some of them come to hitting the head of their opponent. The one that I just watched was on Kerrigan Miller‘s goal to pull Carolina to within one at 6-5 with about seven minutes left in the first. There are some tough ladies playing this game!
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

DMac wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:56 pm Thanks, CO, but I imagine poor ol' Red is turning over in his grave right about now. I used to call in semi regularly with the sole intent to get a discussion about lacrosse on the air a little bit in that it's always about hoops, hoops, hoops here in the Cuse. Lacrosse, despite the eleven titles, is still treated like the red headed step child, definitely doesn't get the attention/respect it deserves. I haven't listened in awhile but the last host was (probably still is) Steve Infanti, a pretty good guy who absolutely bleeds orange and is a big hoops nut (played on a State Champion HS team and played at Ithaca College too). When he saw I was the caller, he'd say, DMac's on the line, guess we're going to talk about lacrosse now. I didn't care what they were talking about, I could find a way to get lacrosse in there. He was interviewing Boeheim one time at Tully's and of course all kinds of people were calling in to talk with the local god. I couldn't resist calling in as I figured when Infanti saw it was me he'd cringe and wonder what I'd have to say to Boeheim. JB actually goes to quite a few lacrosse games in the Dome, have seen him there several times, so when it was my turn I told him I had noticed that he went to quite a few lacrosse games and was wondering what he thought of the game and how big of a fan he was/is. He ended up talking about it for about ten minutes going on and on about it and saying he wished they had had it in HS when he was going. I figured it was a huge accomplishment stealing ten minutes of air time for lacrosse from the hoops show and JB himself. When he was done, Infanti said I just knew DMac was going to get lacrosse in there somehow. Too funny.

Love it! Well done.
No luck with that here in Philly. I tried years ago and gave up because these people only care about the Eagles. They will talk Football 24/7. You cannot win here like you did. Your call would have been dropped here and some derogatory remark made about you to go with it.
BCGold

Post by BCGold »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:52 pm Watching some of the BC/Carolina semifinal again. Can’t get enough of this game. Man! Sometimes when a player beats their defender and heads to the goal for a shot the defender will take one last tomahawk swipe to jar the ball loose from the stick. It’s amazing how close some of them come to hitting the head of their opponent. The one that I just watched was on Kerrigan Miller‘s goal to pull Carolina to within one at 6-5 with about seven minutes left in the first. There are some tough ladies playing this game!

Good example of that was the defenders slashing at Charlotte North’s stick on her highlight goal where she scoops it up at midfield and scores. Just missed on the tomahawk strike, result a goal and all kinds of momentum.

Game of inches
OuttaNowhereWregget

BCGold wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:29 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:52 pm Watching some of the BC/Carolina semifinal again. Can’t get enough of this game. Man! Sometimes when a player beats their defender and heads to the goal for a shot the defender will take one last tomahawk swipe to jar the ball loose from the stick. It’s amazing how close some of them come to hitting the head of their opponent. The one that I just watched was on Kerrigan Miller‘s goal to pull Carolina to within one at 6-5 with about seven minutes left in the first. There are some tough ladies playing this game!

Good example of that was the defenders slashing at Charlotte North’s stick on her highlight goal where she scoops it up at midfield and scores. Just missed on the tomahawk strike, result a goal and all kinds of momentum.

Game of inches
Yes! Another great example. You think it's precision or luck that most tomahawk swipes don't hit opposing players?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:21 am Love it! Well done.
No luck with that here in Philly. I tried years ago and gave up because these people only care about the Eagles. They will talk Football 24/7. You cannot win here like you did. Your call would have been dropped here and some derogatory remark made about you to go with it.
Larry please tell me you tried calling in to WIP :lol: or was it Mike Missanelli?
I think you'd find plenty of people willing to talk lacrosse at the HS level and with news outlets that cover HS sports, but college unfortunately not. A little disappointing considering the city has hosted a lot of collegiate lacrosse. Not many of the men's programs are mainstays on the national stage though quite like Cuse.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:10 am
Larry please tell me you tried calling in to WIP :lol: or was it Mike Missanelli?
I think you'd find plenty of people willing to talk lacrosse at the HS level and with news outlets that cover HS sports, but college unfortunately not. A little disappointing considering the city has hosted a lot of collegiate lacrosse. Not many of the men's programs are mainstays on the national stage though quite like Cuse.

When Mike Missanelli was still a Sportswriter at the Philadelphia Inquirer, many years ago, he did a story about the great GAIL CUMMINGS DANSON(Temple '88, US Lacrosse HOFer, 2007) and I will always be grateful that he did so.
Lacrosse is a niche sport and I have learned to accept it as such. Penn, Drexel and Villanova Men's Lax have had terrific moments on the National Scene. Penn Women's Lax has been a top level program under the guidance of Karin Brower. Temple won 2 National Titles in the 80's under the legendary Tina Sloane Green, the 1st Black HC to win an NCAA D1 National Title. Drexel had an outstanding season in 2021. Despite all of that...Lacrosse remains at the low end of the tree of Philadelphia Sports.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:35 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:10 am

When Mike Missanelli was still a Sportswriter at the Philadelphia Inquirer, many years ago, he did a story about the great GAIL CUMMINGS DANSON(Temple '88, US Lacrosse HOFer, 2007) and I will always be grateful that he did so.
Lacrosse is a niche sport and I have learned to accept it as such. Penn, Drexel and Villanova Men's Lax have had terrific moments on the National Scene. Penn Women's Lax has been a top level program under the guidance of Karin Brower. Temple won 2 National Titles in the 80's under the legendary Tina Sloane Green, the 1st Black HC to win an NCAA D1 National Title. Drexel had an outstanding season in 2021. Despite all of that...Lacrosse remains at the low end of the tree of Philadelphia Sports.
Huh I never knew Missanelli did that, that's great! And yes Penn, Drexel, & Nova have had fantastic moments, but they were moments which is why I said mainstay :( . And of course the women's programs at Penn, Temple, & Drexel. I was just drawing parallels to DMac's situation with Syracuse and Boeheim. Definitely a niche sport in a major city like Philadelphia.

Don't forget the Wings in the 90's!
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:48 am

Game of inches
Yes! Another great example. You think it's precision or luck that most tomahawk swipes don't hit opposing players?
On so many levels this is literally one of the most ridiculous things you've posted, and that's saying a lot.
OuttaNowhereWregget

8meterPA wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:47 pm On so many levels this is literally one of the most ridiculous things you've posted, and that's saying a lot.
What a shock: I'm discussing an aspect of lacrosse with another member and here you are--not adding anything to the discussion but addressing me personally.

And from the other day:
8meterPA wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:26 pm Dude, time to get the prescription refilled.
You don't recall these types of directives from admin? Here are a couple of recent direct quotes to remind you:

“Post about perspectives, views, thoughts, and otherwise, not about post-ers.”

“Reminder, no personal attacks. Differing views, political or otherwise, are great. Even, with an eye towards finding the truth through discussion-based learning, confronting views that you disagree with is great. Personal attacks on post-ers is not great. Just a reminder.”

No? Then I'll try to make it as clear for you as I can:

How about you find someone else to wag your finger at. Is that too subtle? Let's try this then--F*ck Off! and stop addressing insulting personal comments toward me. Clear enough? Good--and thanks in advance.
Last edited by OuttaNowhereWregget on Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Game of inches
Here's the example I was referencing. Evident all the more in the 2nd angle.

Last edited by OuttaNowhereWregget on Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:33 am

Game of inches
Here's the example I was referencing. Evident all the more in the 2nd angle.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
OuttaNowhereWregget

Don’t waste your keystrokes—you’re blocked. I’m not wasting any more of my precious time reading your tripe.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:24 am Don’t waste your keystrokes—you’re blocked. I’m not wasting any more of my precious time reading your tripe.
Precious time? :lol:
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

8meterPA wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:51 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:24 am Don’t waste your keystrokes—you’re blocked. I’m not wasting any more of my precious time reading your tripe.

Do you have video of ONW blocking you? Was it skill or just a "tomahawk swipe"?
Bart

Post by Bart »

LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:27 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: That was well played Larry.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:27 pm

You win the internet today!
OuttaNowhereWregget

Watching the daily video clips many teams publish it becomes clear just how much work goes into playing lacrosse. The weight lifting and cardio, the onfield drills and practice sessions. These young women work awfully hard to prepare for the season. It must be an exhilarating feeling to finally step on the field in that second week of February.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”