All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

old salt

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:13 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:46 pm
Kismet wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:12 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:35 pm
Kismet wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:56 am
old salt wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:06 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:43 am
old salt wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:54 am Qualifying for a covid booster shot is a lot like qualifying for refugee status + catch & release at our southern border.

Open borders = administer as many vaccine doses as possible before they expire.

FDA officials are as frustrated as CBP & ICE officials are.

They have an expression for this is Spain = prohibited but permitted.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/5 ... oster-plan

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/0 ... lay-509451
Ready, fire, aim. 5 month Joe….and you jumped the gun. No credibility.
No credibility is what the Biden admin has with their mixed messaging.
If you're Pfizer, you can get your booster on 9-20.
If you're Moderna, who knows how long the FDA will diddle with numbers.
Meanwhile, early vaxxers are in their 6th month, immunity is dwindling, delta breakthroughs are rising, while Moderna doses expire.
That's why Biden & Fauci are giving the wink & nod.
Recall the crunch in getting an appt for dose #1. The vaccine eager will flood the market again when the booster is fully authorized.
Everyone who gets #3 before then is one more dose that doesn't go to waste & one less appt required.
So far the FDA and CDC disagree and have not as yet approved any booster regimen on any schedule or scale (check out why and you might be surprised). You're winging it again based upon your political biases (bogus wink & nod theory). If that's the way you want to manage your health it's a free country. Go for it.
This is the CDC recommendation which has been used to authorize hundreds of thousands of Moderna boosters already in peoples arms.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... mmuno.html

You're using the same flawed "logic" as the vaccine-deniers who wouldn't get an initial dose under the CDC's EUA before full FDA approval.
Did you wait for full FDA approval before getting vaccinated ?

I posted why Moderna won't make the 9-20 date. They want to go with the half strength booster so they only submitted the data for that. The Biden admin wants them to submit the numbers for both full & half strength boosters, so they can use excess full strength doses before they expire & can boost early Moderna vaxxers without having to wait for half strength Moderna boosters to be produced & distributed.

If there were safety issues with the full strength Moderna booster, the CDC would not have issued the recommendation now being used as authorization.

Stop trying to scare & confuse about the safety of the Moderna booster already issued to hundreds of thousands of people.
Not trying to scare anyone
Just pointing out that you don't fit the current qualification for a third dose but you rationalized it in order to jump the line. Typical for you and no surprise.
I did not jump the line. There was no line. I was not seeking a booster. I took a friend to get her first dose. I asked the pharmacist about the Moderna booster. He explained the process & offered me one, on the spot. How do you know I do not qualify ? You are AssUming again.
Did your pharmacist qualify you by asking you for some medical history based upon the current guideline? Wishful thinking on your part...again.
Find it incredible that any pharmacist of credibility would just wing it on some customer. Might be time to find a new pharmacy.
Keep dancing. :oops: :oops: and blame it on Joe
Yes, the pharmacist did. He went over the form with me. I was surprised that a doctor's Rx was not required. Keep AssUming.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:41 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:36 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:08 pm I should add I know a number of seemingly ok couples, with kids, in my 35-50 age range that have gotten divorced or who’s lives are wrecked and there’s no way this isn’t the overwhelming factor in it.
Lost two staff members over "Covid divorces". It's no joke.

I have a 7 year old. I'm counting the minutes and seconds until she can get vaccinated....while watching idiots tell me that vaccines are bad, and refusing to take them. Even though they already HAVE taken vaccines before.

I thought when push came to shove, that these bloviators would get the vaccine at a 90%+ rate, same as always.

We could be done with this mess. Totally done. I will NEVER understand why a parent that willing gave their kids five or six vaccine shots so they could attend K-12 would EVER not take a vaccine that even a tree stump knows will make their children safer. Doubly so anyone who went through "remote learning" last year.
Got one more journal piece for you on this but this one is about a child shot today

Why a Covid-19 Vaccine for Children Is Taking So Long
Researchers testing shots in children face serious challenges, starting with making the lower dose under study
Thanks for sharing. All the more reason for qualified 12-up to get the vaccine-----to protect our children, and snuff Covid out.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:31 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:41 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:36 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:08 pm I should add I know a number of seemingly ok couples, with kids, in my 35-50 age range that have gotten divorced or who’s lives are wrecked and there’s no way this isn’t the overwhelming factor in it.
Lost two staff members over "Covid divorces". It's no joke.

I have a 7 year old. I'm counting the minutes and seconds until she can get vaccinated....while watching idiots tell me that vaccines are bad, and refusing to take them. Even though they already HAVE taken vaccines before.

I thought when push came to shove, that these bloviators would get the vaccine at a 90%+ rate, same as always.

We could be done with this mess. Totally done. I will NEVER understand why a parent that willing gave their kids five or six vaccine shots so they could attend K-12 would EVER not take a vaccine that even a tree stump knows will make their children safer. Doubly so anyone who went through "remote learning" last year.
Got one more journal piece for you on this but this one is about a child shot today

Why a Covid-19 Vaccine for Children Is Taking So Long
Researchers testing shots in children face serious challenges, starting with making the lower dose under study
Thanks for sharing. All the more reason for qualified 12-up to get the vaccine-----to protect our children, and snuff Covid out.
We have a couple female vet techs who help vaccinate pets all day, yet refuse to get vaccinated themselves over perceived fertility issues.
As a result, all staff must remain masked.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:36 pm I thought when push came to shove, that these bloviators would get the vaccine at a 90%+ rate, same as always.

possible but not very likely we'd be done, in the sense that there's still some big #s going on. uk is vaxxed at 90% partial and 80% full. israel is close to same #s and neither of those spots would say they're totally done.
you'd think they may have things calm quicker and with more permanence, but that's unknown right now.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:07 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:47 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:42 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:34 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:08 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:02 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:52 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:46 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:31 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:15 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:12 pm Folks who understand data analysis and econometrics understand that all studies have flaws. There’s an R squared (Rho) to any model. The idea that any study will not have a flaw (error) is insane or doesn’t understand how this stuff works. Or we can do no analysis and use our guts...
agree. a big one imao as far as gold standards go (and this might be it on one aspect for now) is how they take data, even inputs. delta dates the study at this point as well.
So what is the answer? Stop all studies and research? Do nothing until it’s all over one way or another, just ride it out and then do the analysis and research? New variables are presented in analysis all the time which doesn’t invalidate prior work. It’s iterative but each step in the process provides tremendous value.
all i said about macro was there was going to be a fraction of the research vs vaxxes. but eventually it could influence policy.
So then what?
so then the folks that want to get a bead on the real effectiveness of re-infection immunity will have to wait. if there isn't a groundswell of data coming.
And in the meantime what you prescribe that people do? Or that the government choose to enact or not enact? On a local or National level? Do nothing and wait for conclusive answers? Lock everything down? Is there anything reasonable in the middle you would suggest if you were grand emperor?
Sounds like the Tuskegee Experiment. Do nothing. Watch and wait to see what happens. Don’t intervene.
yeah, agree. don't advocate for any of that.
I know. Keeping my fingers crossed for college students this year.
Elementary school my friend. I can’t have another year of them virtual learning and quarantined. Forget the economic impact, another year of this and whole families and perhaps an entire generation is going to be destroyed. I’m almost at a point of full blown lockdown of everything but school for my family in order to do what I can to keep that from happening. I reject that anyone cares about other people or society if they are doing sh*t like brazenly behaving however they want. I don’t trust any words they’ll ever say about caring about others or certainly any argument that cohort will ever make about “the children” it would be a lie, not hypocritical or situational, just lying.

I find it interesting that probably 90%+ of the people talking here don’t have school aged kids. It tells me the perspective is narrow by contextual relevance to many. Not an indictment of any individual but the whole collective of who is here.
Those too! Our town was lucky as kids had in person learning for most of the school year last year. From October to May/June there were pretty much there. Wasn’t true all over the place though. I think it’s hard on families. Really not a lot we could do given how little we knew at the time. Still learning.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:03 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:12 pm Folks who understand data analysis and econometrics understand that all studies have flaws. There’s an R squared (Rho) to any model. The idea that any study will not have a flaw (error) is insane or doesn’t understand how this stuff works. Or we can do no analysis and use our guts...
agree. a big one imao as far as gold standards go (and this might be it on one aspect for now) is how they take data, even inputs. delta dates the study at this point as well.
So what is the answer? Stop all studies and research? Do nothing until it’s all over one way or another, just ride it out and then do the analysis and research? New variables are presented in analysis all the time which doesn’t invalidate prior work. It’s iterative but each step in the process provides tremendous value.
all i said about macro was there was going to be a fraction of the research vs vaxxes. but eventually it could influence policy.
So then what?
so then the folks that want to get a bead on the real effectiveness of re-infection immunity will have to wait. if there isn't a groundswell of data coming.
And in the meantime what you prescribe that people do? Or that the government choose to enact or not enact? On a local or National level? Do nothing and wait for conclusive answers? Lock everything down? Is there anything reasonable in the middle you would suggest if you were grand emperor?
Sounds like the Tuskegee Experiment. Do nothing. Watch and wait to see what happens. Don’t intervene.
Elementary school my friend. I can’t have another year of them virtual learning and quarantined. Forget the economic impact, another year of this and whole families and perhaps an entire generation is going to be destroyed. I’m almost at a point of full blown lockdown of everything but school for my family in order to do what I can to keep that from happening. I reject that anyone cares about other people or society if they are doing sh*t like brazenly behaving however they want. I don’t trust any words they’ll ever say about caring about others or certainly any argument that cohort will ever make about “the children” it would be a lie, not hypocritical or situational, just lying.

I find it interesting that probably 90%+ of the people talking here don’t have school aged kids. It tells me the perspective is narrow by contextual relevance to many. Not an indictment of any individual but the whole collective of who is here.
Those too! Out town was lucky as kids had in person learning for most of the school year last year. From October to May/June there were pretty much there. Wasn’t true all over the place though. I think it’s hard on families. Really not a lot we could do given how little we knew at the time. Still learning.
When they talk about social infrastructure I don’t see much support for those in this situation which is both their most important constituency in both sides. Why this isn’t also a priority. Don’t tell me about carbon free by 2050 investments if an entire generation is ruined either not just from the kids being isolated but the damage in families. This investment would likely have a better ROI than everything in the package that either side wants.

Smart people like yourself know this is a moving target and fluid but our entire government and those focused on this seem to act like it’s transitory and has no impact beyond the day we do figure it out. I don’t understand that approach at all.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:16 pm
So then what?

Those too! Out town was lucky as kids had in person learning for most of the school year last year. From October to May/June there were pretty much there. Wasn’t true all over the place though. I think it’s hard on families. Really not a lot we could do given how little we knew at the time. Still learning.
When they talk about social infrastructure I don’t see much support for those in this situation which is both their most important constituency in both sides. Why this isn’t also a priority. Don’t tell me about carbon free by 2050 investments if an entire generation is ruined either not just from the kids being isolated but the damage in families. This investment would likely have a better ROI than everything in the package that either side wants.

Smart people like yourself know this is a moving target and fluid but our entire government and those focused on this seem to act like it’s transitory and has no impact beyond the day we do figure it out. I don’t understand that approach at all.
Local governance is a monkey wrench. I am interested in seeing how this year goes. I am all for making whatever sacrifice I have to make as an adult to keep the spread down so that kids can go to school. I don’t need to drink in a bar. I had my turn.
“I wish you would!”
lagerhead

Post by lagerhead »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:21 pm
So then what?

Local governance is a monkey wrench. I am interested in seeing how this year goes. I am all for making whatever sacrifice I have to make as an adult to keep the spread down so that kids can go to school. I don’t need to drink in a bar. I had my turn.
Not only do kids need social interaction they need to be around other kids to build up their immune systems to the flus and viruses that are normally rampant. The Petri dish that is nursery school, kindergarten and elementary schools.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

So then what?

I’ve had my turn too. :).

Like I mentioned. We had a kid in my sons class and now the teachers family has it. This school as I’ve mentioned has its own problems with this national “segregation” story so there’s already some major distractions to their execution on safety as it is. But at least two in one class in less than a month? Doesn’t bode well for staying open all year.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

lagerhead wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:32 pm
So then what?

Not only do kids need social interaction they need to be around other kids to build up their immune systems to the flus and viruses that are normally rampant. The Petri dish that is nursery school, kindergarten and elementary schools.
Agreed, the human body needs stressors. Mithrodization can work in some areas I think but not all. There are physical limits.
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:39 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:36 pm I thought when push came to shove, that these bloviators would get the vaccine at a 90%+ rate, same as always.

possible but not very likely we'd be done, in the sense that there's still some big #s going on. uk is vaxxed at 90% partial and 80% full.
I should have chosen my words more carefully.....if we had handled this as we have all other vaccines, and everyone was up for getting the shot?

Covid would be well on its way in our rear view mirror.

We'll never know, obviously.
Typical Lax Dad

lagerhead wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:32 pm
So then what?

Yep.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:32 pm
So then what?

Like I mentioned. We had a kid in my sons class and now the teachers family has it. This school as I’ve mentioned has its own problems with this national “segregation” story so there’s already some major distractions to their execution on safety as it is. But at least two in one class in less than a month? Doesn’t bode well for staying open all year.
Too many perhaps!
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:36 pm We have a couple female vet techs who help vaccinate pets all day, yet refuse to get vaccinated themselves over perceived fertility issues.
I just can't wrap my head around the millions of Americans living in this complete logic fail. 1 in 10? Sure. And yep, some people can't take the vaccine from a medical standpoint. But 5 in 10 saying no, I just don't understand.

It's the internet, obviously, that's doing the damage here in the US. Viral disinformation.

If you asked these women "did your doctor tell you this?", they'll say "no", obviously.

But If I brought my severely ill dog to these same techs, and told them that I gave my dog rat poison because "I read on the internet that it made her bones stronger".....they'd be horrified, right? How could anyone be so stupid as to believe some dumb website over the advice of a trained Veterinarian is insane, right? :roll:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:41 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:32 pm
So then what?

Too many perhaps!
Understatement of the Millenium though that hasn’t been a problem other than I’ve bought a few now overpriced bottles of bourbon over the years.
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:48 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:36 pm We have a couple female vet techs who help vaccinate pets all day, yet refuse to get vaccinated themselves over perceived fertility issues.
I just can't wrap my head around the millions of Americans living in this complete logic fail. 1 in 10? Sure. And yep, some people can't take the vaccine from a medical standpoint. But 5 in 10 saying no, I just don't understand.

It's the internet, obviously, that's doing the damage here in the US. Viral disinformation.

If you asked these women "did your doctor tell you this?", they'll say "no", obviously.

But If I brought my severely ill dog to these same techs, and told them that I gave my dog rat poison because "I read on the internet that it made her bones stronger".....they'd be horrified, right? How could anyone be so stupid as to believe some dumb website over the advice of a trained Veterinarian is insane, right? :roll:
The doctors are part of the establishment. Also, when my dog goes to a kennel or boards, we have to produce a shot record.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:37 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:39 pm

possible but not very likely we'd be done, in the sense that there's still some big #s going on. uk is vaxxed at 90% partial and 80% full.
I should have chosen my words more carefully.....if we had handled this as we have all other vaccines, and everyone was up for getting the shot?

Covid would be well on its way in our rear view mirror.

We'll never know, obviously.
maldives leads the world in vaxxes @ ~90%. they're at us equivalent 102,000 infections daily and ~600 deaths. delta is not done with us.

we're @62% for those eligible. and 73% with at least one dose. and ~1m per day has stuck for a bit at least. progress.
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:43 pm maldives leads the world in vaxxes @ ~90%. they're at us equivalent 102,000 infections daily and ~600 deaths. delta is not done with us.
Yes. But that's not operating in a void. We're all connected.

Ask any virologist if the world would be further along if the US was at 90%, versus where we are now.

What will they say? You know the answer.

Then ask them how smart it is to allow the virus to mutate further, and give them, what---an extra (roughly) 100,000,000 unvaccinated Americans 12yo and over to feed on.

I know you've been playing devils advocate, and I appreciate that. But we're on the clock now that we have vaccine(s). Time matters.
a fan

Post by a fan »

From your cite: "Gov. Ron DeSantis has strongly opposed certain mandatory measures to keep the virus in check, saying people should be trusted to make decisions for themselves"

DeSantis is lying here. The State of Florida does NOT trust people to make their own decisions.

Wanna attend PreSchool in Florida---public AND private? Here ya go:
Vaccines for....
DTaP
IPV
MMR
Varicella
Hib
Pneumococcal conjugate (PCV13)
Hepatitis B (Hep B)

..and more mandatory vaccines for K-12.

How about Pete's alma mater, UFlorida? Yup. He, too, was FORCED by the .gov to vaccinate.....

https://healthcompliance.shcc.ufl.edu/f ... 002gen.pdf

....these voters are getting played by DeSantis touting a freedom that they don't actually have. What's worse, is that FLA residents know full freaking well that they and their kids have taken SEVERAL vaccines so they could attend K-12.

Return to “POLITICS”