Jared Bernhardt

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Jared Bernhardt

Post by DMac »

Lax boy, 3rd and short breaks it for a big gainer.
Another 3rd and short coming up.
Yup, 1st down.
GO NAVY!!!!
1st and goal from the 5, 13 sec in the half.
Gotta have it.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Nope, run out of time.
Got a little mo now though.
old salt

Post by old salt »

:? ...still a work in progress.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I prefer to see the lacrosse guy of course,

still whether its him or the other guy,

its tough sledding being a Mid QB when you’re down
3 tds and the staff doesn’t just go for the 1st half
FG knowing you’re getting the ball back to start
the 2nd.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

:oops:
This offense is played out, would it kill them to find a 6'1 passing qb that can be taught some triple option...for crying out loud its not rocket science. Marshall did not even really need to push on Navy's O-line, just watch them dance around, then attack.

If you can not control the line of scrimmage, you can not control the game, which means you have to resort to trickery and clock management. Until Navy gets serious about passing, in order to open up the field, this is what we are going to see week in and week out, with the exception of lesser talented teams, but these are becoming fewer and fewer. And IMO, Navy is being left in the dust and if the majority or practice time is triple option...well how then does your defense really and truly prepare for their opponent.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:44 am :oops:
This offense is played out, would it kill them to find a 6'1 passing qb that can be taught some triple option...for crying out loud its not rocket science. Marshall did not even really need to push on Navy's O-line, just watch them dance around, then attack.

If you can not control the line of scrimmage, you can not control the game, which means you have to resort to trickery and clock management. Until Navy gets serious about passing, in order to open up the field, this is what we are going to see week in and week out, with the exception of lesser talented teams, but these are becoming fewer and fewer. And IMO, Navy is being left in the dust and if the majority or practice time is triple option...well how then does your defense really and truly prepare for their opponent.
On the other hand, Navy football had years of successful football not long ago with this very offense. They have the same recruiting disadvantages now as they did then. Also, they have the same predicament with their defense that they had then. What's changed?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ohmilax34 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:30 am

On the other hand, Navy football had years of successful football not long ago with this very offense. They have the same recruiting disadvantages now as they did then. Also, they have the same predicament with their defense that they had then. What's changed?
Conference change, for starters.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:56 am

Army & AF are getting more of the recruits Navy used to get. The AAC is getting stronger, Navy is not.
Hopefully the Big 12 will raid the AAC of 2 or 3 of their better teams leaving holes in the Navy sched for softer opponents.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Why aren’t the academies playing in FCS?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

old salt wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:19 pm

Army & AF are getting more of the recruits Navy used to get. The AAC is getting stronger, Navy is not.
Hopefully the Big 12 will raid the AAC of 2 or 3 of their better teams leaving holes in the Navy sched for softer opponents.
I’m sure they love only competing against the best of a soft schedule because the big bad tough opponents have left.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:45 pm

I’m sure they love only competing against the best of a soft schedule because the big bad tough opponents have left.
It would still be a tougher sched than Army or Air Force.
Navy plays Notre Dame, Air Force & Army every year, out of conference.
Navy has little history with, & little in common with UCF, Cincinnatti, & Houston.
Navy has history with Tulane, Tulsa & SMU & matches up in size & academics.
ECU & USF are close to alumni bases.
Navy is a PL school, hanging on to FBS status for tradition, bowl games & tv revenue.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

old salt wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:16 pm

Navy has little history with, & little in common with UCF, Cincinnatti, & Houston.
Navy is a PL school, hanging on to FBS status for tradition, bowl games & tv revenue.
Then the answer is to drop to FCS not be an also ran amongst a group they can’t hang with as you’ve argued by wishing the better teams in the conference dropped out. Also presumes Navy should be in that conference and others should go which is strange.

The tv revenue is going to dry up after the top 60-80 schools pull away.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:26 pm

Navy is a PL school, hanging on to FBS status for tradition, bowl games, alumni donations & tv revenue.
Then the answer is to drop to FCS not be an also ran amongst a group they can’t hang with as you’ve argued by wishing the better teams in the conference dropped out. Also presumes Navy should be in that conference and others should go which is strange.

That's not necessary (yet). If the AAC folds, Navy could join CUSA, MAC or Sunbelt for FB only, or go back to independent like Army, even if we had to play a couple FCS opponents. Navy usually plays 1 PL team a year. UDel, VMI, Richmond, JMU & Towson have been happy to visit Navy with no home game payback required. W coast MWC teams (SDSU & SJSU & Hawaii) also like home & home with Navy. Our W coast alums boost their attendance.

Not presuming anything. Houston, UCF & Cincy are gone to the Big 12.
Army-Navy, ND & Navy home games are Navy's big ticket with CBS.
They didn't gain tv$$ going AAC. They did it to guarantee a full sched & bowl tie-ins.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

old salt wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:47 pm

Navy is a PL school, hanging on to FBS status for tradition, bowl games, alumni donations & tv revenue.

That's not necessary (yet). If the AAC folds, Navy could join CUSA, MAC or Sunbelt for FB only, or go back to independent like Army, even if we had to play a couple FCS opponents. Navy usually plays 1 PL team a year. UDel, VMI, Richmond, JMU & Towson have been happy to visit Navy with no home game payback required. W coast MWC teams (SDSU & SJSU & Hawaii) also like home & home with Navy. Our W coast alums boost their attendance.

They didn't gain tv$$ going AAC. They did it to guarantee a full sched & bowl tie-ins.
Why not compete for an FCS title against the best rather than milk around the bottom half of D1? I mean that’s what a bunch of idiots around here like to say about Hobart. Mostly, to steal from Blur Angels, jock sniffers who haven’t had or chosen to compete much in life, but I hear it often. Either compete as high as you can go or drop down a level. Barbells always work better than playing to the middle.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:54 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:47 pm

Why not compete for an FCS title against the best rather than milk around the bottom half of D1? I mean that’s what a bunch of idiots around here like to say about Hobart. Mostly, to steal from Blur Angels, jock sniffers who haven’t had or chosen to compete much in life, but I hear it often. Either compete as high as you can go or drop down a level. Barbells always work better than playing to the middle.
The biggest factor at Navy is doing what Army & AF do. If all 3 made the jump together, that would be fine with me.
I'd be happy with Army & Navy in the PL for all sports. CBS & alumni donors would not.
FB tv $$$ fund the other 32 varsity sports. ND will play Navy as long as we want.
IMHO -- anything better than 6-6 & a bowl bid is over achieving for a service academy.
Most years, 2 teams accomplish that. Some years all 3 do.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Army had been largely irrelevant since my buddies from broom co the Davis brothers were captains. They had a decent season here recently but have no business being in major D1 football.

Being close to Ga Tech I agree that the triple option doesn’t work like it used to. Has to be another system that works with size limitations.

I wouldn’t be so sure ND would never stop the academies. That’s a lot of hubris given the same acknowledgement about how much money drives irrational or non-emotional decisions.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:23 pm Army had been largely irrelevant since my buddies from broom co the Davis brothers were captains. They had a decent season here recently but have no business being in major D1 football.

Being close to Ga Tech I agree that the triple option doesn’t work like it used to. Has to be another system that works with size limitations.

I wouldn’t be so sure ND would never stop the academies. That’s a lot of hubris given the same acknowledgement about how much money drives irrational or non-emotional decisions.
Not the academies. Just Navy.

https://www.onefootdown.com/2013/10/31/ ... ory-part-1
https://www.onefootdown.com/2013/11/2/5 ... ies-part-2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy%E2%8 ... ll_rivalry
On August 6, 2020, Navy and Notre Dame signed an agreement continuing their rivalry series for the next 12 seasons, from 2021 through 2032
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

old salt wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:42 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:23 pm Army had been largely irrelevant since my buddies from broom co the Davis brothers were captains. They had a decent season here recently but have no business being in major D1 football.

On August 6, 2020, Navy and Notre Dame signed an agreement continuing their rivalry series for the next 12 seasons, from 2021 through 2032
I feel the same way about Hobart-Cornell & Hobart-Syracuse which have more history than Navy-ND but also dont think that’s permanent and inviolable. Especially when you’re talking the kind of money that major football does. If ND is with group that separates its completely feasible and perhaps likely that game could die.

And contracts don’t mean Jack as we’ve seen over and over and over again.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:51 pm

I feel the same way about Hobart-Cornell & Hobart-Syracuse which have more history than Navy-ND but also dont think that’s permanent and inviolable. Especially when you’re talking the kind of money that major football does. If ND is with group that separates its completely feasible and perhaps likely that game could die.

As long as ND stays independent, it's a good deal for them. They don't have conf games guaranteed. Thus their sched deal with the ACC.
It's the lead CBS game when it's Navy's home year. Navy's "home" game is where they can draw a large subway alum crowd. That's better than playing Wake, Duke, NC St, or GaTech.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

old salt wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:01 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:51 pm

As long as ND stays independent, it's a good deal for them. They don't have conf games guaranteed. Thus their sched deal with the ACC.
It's the lead CBS game when it's Navy's home year. Navy's "home" game is where they can draw a large subway alum crowd. That's better than playing Wake, Duke, NC St, or GaTech.
Your comment was ND will play Navy as long as we (Navy) wants. That means no matter what ND does or feels in the future or regardless of money they will always find a way to keep Navy on the schedule. What you are saying is reasonable now but in 2-4yrs when this is all flipped on its head and it’s better the keep the pie in house completely that sort of game is at risk unfortunately.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”