All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

dislaxxic

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by dislaxxic »

Inside a Florida Hospital Full of Dying, Unvaxxed Thirtysomethings

Yeah, but they're "free"...

The DeSantis Doctrine.

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Has Delta Peaked?; Rethinking Labor Day Travel; WHO Monitoring the 'Mu' Variant

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectious ... ate_active

More Hospitals Sued Over Right to Try Ivermectin

https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-re ... ate_active
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:07 am Has Delta Peaked?; Rethinking Labor Day Travel; WHO Monitoring the 'Mu' Variant

Why ain’t they suing for Roots Tonic?
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

It's important to remind the rest of my vaccinated compatriots, that many vaccinated are the silent, deadly, symptomless spreaders and also ones who may think they are impervious to serious cases, so they indulge in higher risk activities, unwittingly spreading the disease to others.

We need the vaccinated to stop being the silent spreaders, wear masks all the time, and stay home if we're gonna beat this. Because the antivaxxers aren't gonna help us.
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:45 am It's important to remind the rest of my vaccinated compatriots, that many vaccinated are the silent, deadly, symptomless spreaders and also ones who may think they are impervious to serious cases, so they indulge in higher risk activities, unwittingly spreading the disease to others.

We need the vaccinated to stop being the silent spreaders, wear masks all the time, and stay home if we're gonna beat this. Because the antivaxxers aren't gonna help us.
Stay away from people as much as possible and wear a mask whenever you can’t avoid people.
“I wish you would!”
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:51 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:45 am It's important to remind the rest of my vaccinated compatriots, that many vaccinated are the silent, deadly, symptomless spreaders and also ones who may think they are impervious to serious cases, so they indulge in higher risk activities, unwittingly spreading the disease to others.

Stay away from people as much as possible and wear a mask whenever you can’t avoid people.
Gonna be working from home again too.
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:53 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:51 am

Gonna be working from home again too.
In many cases.
“I wish you would!”
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

This is such an idiotic comment that I’m dumbfounded and can’t think of a perfect analogy to counter it.

It’s close to saying all the people on the beach who learned to swim but are watching someone who can’t swim drown are the ones at fault for the drowning, when the knucklehead who can’t swim shouldn’t be in the surf in the first place.

Sadly our healthcare workers are the lifeguards for the idiot anti-vaxxers.
Last edited by SCLaxAttack on Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:23 pm

This is such an idiotic comment that I’m dumbfounded and can’t think of a perfect analogy to counter it.

It’s close to saying all the people on the beach who learned to swim but are watching someone who can’t swim drown are the ones at fault for the drowning, when the knucklehead who can’t swim shouldn’t be in the surf in the first place.

It's not idiotic. Do some reading.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... k-guidance
The study details a COVID-19 outbreak that started July 3 in Provincetown, Mass., involving 469 cases. It found that three-quarters of cases occurred in fully vaccinated people. Massachusetts has a high rate of vaccination: about 69% among eligible adults in the state at the time of the study.

It also found no significant difference in the viral load present in the breakthrough infections occurring in fully vaccinated people and the other cases, suggesting the viral load of vaccinated and unvaccinated persons infected with the coronavirus is similar.

A CDC Document Gives New Details On Just How Dangerous The Delta Variant Really Is
HEALTH
A CDC Document Gives New Details On Just How Dangerous The Delta Variant Really Is
The CDC said the finding that fully vaccinated people could spread the virus was behind its move to change its mask guidance.

"High viral loads suggest an increased risk of transmission and raised concern that, unlike with other variants, vaccinated people infected with Delta can transmit the virus," Dr. Rochelle Walensky, the CDC's director, said in a statement Friday.

"This finding is concerning and was a pivotal discovery leading to CDC's updated mask recommendation. The masking recommendation was updated to ensure the vaccinated public would not unknowingly transmit virus to others, including their unvaccinated or immunocompromised loved ones," Walensky said.
I didn't remove any responsibility from the antivaxers.

But those of us who got the jab, should be more vigilant. Every little bit helps. Just because we have a less of a chance of dying from the virus as a vaccinated person, doesn't mean we have a less of a chance of spreading it.

Vaccinated people can be asymptomatic spreaders. Their responsibility doesn't end at the shot. They have to be responsible too. And should mask up too, if they really care about their fellow human beings.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:24 pm https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/321 ... ed-players

This is discrimination!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Are they going to segregate them at the strip clubs after road games?
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:12 pm

The study details a COVID-19 outbreak that started July 3 in Provincetown, Mass., involving 469 cases. It found that three-quarters of cases occurred in fully vaccinated people. Massachusetts has a high rate of vaccination: about 69% among eligible adults in the state at the time of the study.

It also found no significant difference in the viral load present in the breakthrough infections occurring in fully vaccinated people and the other cases, suggesting the viral load of vaccinated and unvaccinated persons infected with the coronavirus is similar.

HEALTH
The CDC said the finding that fully vaccinated people could spread the virus was behind its move to change its mask guidance.

"High viral loads suggest an increased risk of transmission and raised concern that, unlike with other variants, vaccinated people infected with Delta can transmit the virus," Dr. Rochelle Walensky, the CDC's director, said in a statement Friday.

"This finding is concerning and was a pivotal discovery leading to CDC's updated mask recommendation. The masking recommendation was updated to ensure the vaccinated public would not unknowingly transmit virus to others, including their unvaccinated or immunocompromised loved ones," Walensky said.

But those of us who got the jab, should be more vigilant. Every little bit helps. Just because we have a less of a chance of dying from the virus as a vaccinated person, doesn't mean we have a less of a chance of spreading it.

Vaccinated people can be asymptomatic spreaders. Their responsibility doesn't end at the shot. They have to be responsible too. And should mask up too, if they really care about their fellow human beings.
Krame, based on this explanation I owe you an apology. I interpreted your initial post’s second paragraph as snide and sarcastic, and your second post clearly shows my understanding.

I actually just recently had a heated discussion with good neighborhood friends of mine who seem to feel their obligation to public health ends with them getting vaccinated. Whether they can’t grasp the concept of asymptomatic transmission or they just refuse to do anything about it, they’ve taken the position of refusing to voluntarily wear masks even when it’s requested by caring local businesses. Very disappointing.
Last edited by SCLaxAttack on Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:23 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:24 pm https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/321 ... ed-players

This is discrimination!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Are they going to segregate them at the strip clubs after road games?
:lol: :lol:
“I wish you would!”
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:20 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:12 pm

HEALTH

Krame, based on this explanation I owe you an apology. I interpreted your initial post’s second paragraph as snide and sarcastic, and your second post clearly shows my understanding.

I actually just recently had a heated discussion with good neighborhood friends of mine who seem to feel their obligation to public health ends with them getting vaccinated. Whether they can’t grasp the concept of asymptomatic transmission or they just refuse to do anything about it, they’ve taken the position of refusing to voluntarily wear masks even when it’s requested by caring local businesses. Very disappointing.
No problem. I apologize for not being too vague and not explainning myself.

I have a few people I work with that aren't getting vaccinated. All have strongly held beliefs. I give them a pass due to their personal circumstances, AND the fact that they are not simply anti-vax. They know the threat of covid and generally have been locked down for the past year and a half. Masks, no gatherings, limited contact etc. These arent the people partying in the bars of S.FL.
My contention is that if a portion of the anti-vaxers simply wont do anyhting, leave it to the rest of us who believe it's real and have better sense, to pick up the slack further. And that includes myself. I could care less about wearing a mask. It doesn't bother me in the least.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:30 am
tech37 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:07 am Has Delta Peaked?; Rethinking Labor Day Travel; WHO Monitoring the 'Mu' Variant

Maybe they are in Philly?

https://mobile.twitter.com/fansince09?lang=en
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:12 pm

I see Joe Rogan went with Ivermectin

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/joe-rogan- ... tment/#app
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:18 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:12 pm

I see Joe Rogan went with Ivermectin

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/joe-rogan- ... tment/#app
Gotta admit that’s a great handle for a Philly BB fan
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/02/opin ... rties.html

"Do vaccine mandates violate civil liberties? Some who have refused vaccination claim as much.

We disagree.

At the A.C.L.U., we are not shy about defending civil liberties, even when they are very unpopular. But we see no civil liberties problem with requiring Covid-19 vaccines in most circumstances.

While the permissibility of requiring vaccines for particular diseases depends on several factors, when it comes to Covid-19, all considerations point in the same direction. The disease is highly transmissible, serious and often lethal; the vaccines are safe and effective; and crucially there is no equally effective alternative available to protect public health.

In fact, far from compromising civil liberties, vaccine mandates actually further civil liberties. They protect the most vulnerable among us, including people with disabilities and fragile immune systems, children too young to be vaccinated and communities of color hit hard by the disease.

Vaccine requirements also safeguard those whose work involves regular exposure to the public, like teachers, doctors and nurses, bus drivers and grocery store employees. And by inoculating people from the disease’s worst effects, the vaccines offer the promise of restoring to all of us our most basic liberties, eventually allowing us to return safely to life as we knew it, in schools and at houses of worship and political meetings, not to mention at restaurants, bars, and gatherings with family and friends.

Here’s why civil liberties objections to Covid vaccine mandates are generally unfounded.

Vaccines are a justifiable intrusion on autonomy and bodily integrity. That may sound ominous, because we all have the fundamental right to bodily integrity and to make our own health care decisions. But these rights are not absolute. They do not include the right to inflict harm on others.

While vaccine mandates are not always permissible, they rarely run afoul of civil liberties when they involve highly infectious and devastating diseases like Covid-19. Although this disease is novel, vaccine mandates are not. Schools, health care facilities, the U.S. military and many other institutions have long required vaccination for contagious diseases like mumps and measles that pose far less risk than the coronavirus does today.

In the United States alone, more than 39 million people have been infected with Covid-19 and more than 600,000 people have died. People with intellectual and physical disabilities are more likely to contract Covid-19, and they have much higher rates of hospitalization and death. Children’s hospitals in Georgia, Louisiana and other states are reporting high admissions of infected patients, and many are running out of beds.

Even though the F.D.A. and independent medical experts have found Covid-19 vaccines to be extremely safe and highly effective, a sizable portion of the eligible population has chosen not to be vaccinated. In this context, Covid-19 vaccine mandates — much like mask mandates — are public health measures necessary to protect people from severe illness and death. They are therefore permissible in many settings where the unvaccinated pose a risk to others, including schools and universities, hospitals, restaurants and bars, workplaces and businesses open to the public.

While limited exceptions are necessary, most people can be required to be vaccinated. Any vaccination mandate should have exceptions for those for whom the vaccine is medically contraindicated, such as people who have allergies to it. The absence of such exceptions would directly undermine the public health goals of a mandate, although other mandatory precautions, like masking, social distancing, regular testing or working remotely, may be appropriate. Where a vaccine is not medically contraindicated, however, avoiding a deadly threat to the public health typically outweighs personal autonomy and individual freedom.

What about those who object to vaccination on religious grounds? Like personal autonomy, religious freedom is an essential right, but not an unfettered license to inflict harm on others. As the Supreme Court explained more than 75 years ago in Prince v. Massachusetts: “The right to practice religion freely does not include liberty to expose the community or the child to communicable disease or the latter to ill health or death.”

In the employment context, federal law requires religious accommodations in some circumstances, but not if they would cause an “undue hardship” to the employer. Refusing a Covid-19 vaccination poses a direct threat to the health and safety of others in the workplace, and likely amounts to an undue hardship unless the employer can devise some other accommodation for the employee, such as working from home.

Some have objected that in practice, vaccine mandates may have disparate effects on disadvantaged communities or individuals. Such concerns need to be taken seriously. But they don’t justify refusals to be vaccinated.

Every effort should be made to ensure that vaccines are equally available to all without obstacles posed by cost, race, immigration status, geography or job responsibilities. Some undocumented people reportedly have been turned away from vaccination sites because they lack a government ID, for instance, while others have confronted obstacles related to cost, transportation or additional requirements imposed by vaccination clinics.

Public health officials should take concrete steps to counter vaccine hesitancy among communities of color whose past discriminatory treatment has understandably sown mistrust. Employers imposing mandates should afford workers paid time off as needed to obtain a vaccine and to manage potential side effects. And people should be permitted to offer written proof of vaccination rather than requiring proof via a smartphone app, so as not to disadvantage those who can’t afford a smartphone.

But where vaccines are widely available, equity concerns actually argue in favor of vaccine mandates, precisely because disadvantaged communities have been disproportionately harmed by this disease. These are reasons to make the vaccine easier to get, not for opposing vaccine mandates altogether.

The real threat to civil liberties comes from states banning vaccine and mask mandates. Even though most Covid-19 vaccine mandates do not infringe civil liberties, several states, including Florida, Iowa, South Carolina and Texas, have banned vaccine mandates or mask mandates — and sometimes both — in the name of freedom. But these bans directly endanger the public health and make more deaths from the disease inevitable. They trample the rights of the most vulnerable, who want to participate in society without putting their health at grave risk.

We care deeply about civil liberties and civil rights for all — which is precisely why we support vaccine mandates."

Return to “POLITICS”