2019 Virginia Public GLAX

HS Girls Lacrosse
valaxnewb

Re: Valentine Shootout & TSJ indoor league

Post by valaxnewb »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:59 am yes it was cold, but unlike last year no torrential rain....Not sure who won the different divisions as I left before the end, but I am going to bet BI won the elite....
I watched many of the VA publics who played Saturday afternoon: Langley, WestPo, Robinson, West Springfield, Yorktown, Riverside, Wash-Lee. I thought Langley looked the sharpest, and I saw a number of close, 1 or 2 goal games between many of the others. BI rolled through their schedule with de rigueur hot-dog, no look behind the back shots. (Watched their feeder bounce a pass off the turf to a cutting teammate through 2 defenders. Impressive to watch, but tough to be on the losing end of that show.) Saw the first 5 minutes of the PVI vs. BI final. BI looked in control, but it was too cold to stay for the finish.

I had the impression there were a lot of girls missing from some teams. So it was fun, short field play, but not too much to go on for the upcoming pre-season top-10 poll.

The St. James indoor league varsity elite championships were Sunday. The final 4 included Stars 23 (8th grade), Capital 2022 (Freshmen), Paul VI, and Herndon. Same observation on the indoor season, it all depended on which players showed up on any given Sunday. Teams would look great one week, then have thier Juniors and Sophs off at recruiting events the next week. Herndon did look pretty good early in the season when I saw them.

Also, The St. James is an awesome facility!
Dr. Tact

Re: Valentine Shootout & TSJ indoor league

Post by Dr. Tact »

valaxnewb wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:31 pm
BI rolled through their schedule with de rigueur hot-dog, no look behind the back shots. (Watched their feeder bounce a pass off the turf to a cutting teammate through 2 defenders. Impressive to watch, but tough to be on the losing end of that show.)
yes...most likely #1 Riley Casey....she is very talented and doesn't hold back that confidence. Sees the game at a different level then most elite girls her age.

I'm not a fan of showboating when you are beating a good public team 15-5, but for the Ireton faithful, I am sure she is fun to watch. There isn't a coach in the area, if not the nation, that wouldn't want her....
NFG4CHS

Re: 2019 Virginia Public GLAX

Post by NFG4CHS »

DT/LNB: So from your observations in the offseason, any teams you would consider the cinderella pick? Just trying to work the angle of a botom up approach to keep it interesting. We'll talk about Woodson, Langley and Robinson greatness soon enough but wanted your opinions. :?:
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

Based on watching some fall and winter action (and with a little bit of an idea on who has had some underclassmen talent), I think some other VA Publics besides those to keep an eye on include (in no particular order): Herndon, Yorktown, West Potomac, South County, West Springfield, and Madison. There are probably a couple more I am forgetting, but don't be surprised :o if any of these teams put together solid seasons and show up in the TOPTM at some point.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

NFG4CHS wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:51 pm DT/LNB: So from your observations in the offseason, any teams you would consider the cinderella pick? Just trying to work the angle of a botom up approach to keep it interesting. We'll talk about Woodson, Langley and Robinson greatness soon enough but wanted your opinions. :?:
I saw West Po play at Valentine Shootout and was impressed by the two lefties..I dont know their names, but the taller of the two had one of the hardest shots I have seen in high school. So, West Po would be a cinderella based on just watching a small 7v7 game in Feb....
NFG4CHS

Post by NFG4CHS »

All good insight and appreciate it!My money would be on West Po too although I think Yorktown is primed to make a move this year. I may have been out of touch for too long but has Madison's second coming of Condon/Frederick hit the scene or is it Counts' show now? Spring season about to hit so we'll see how it all plays out. Good luck to all!
UnderArmourOdor

Re: 2019 Preview

Post by UnderArmourOdor »

Teams are picked so I’ll make a SWAG on the upcoming season. It’s time but I hear the robot going Danger Will Robinson as I don’t know if I have enough info sooooo I’ll throw some dynamite in the water and see what floats to the surface. The Class of 2018 is gone and we shall see how those losses impact all teams.
Key: (A-A): All-American / (AM-1st): WaPo All-Met-(Team) / 1st/2nd/HM (Honorable Mention): District Teams / All State players: names underlined 1st Team bold 2nd Team unbolded.
Doc t if you have the two Region teams as I was counting on getting them off the LP site so no (1st Region) – All-Region 6-A info.

Here is a look at some of the teams I saw last year. Hopefully some with more knowledge of these and other missing teams will pitch in:

Annandale Atoms
Irreplaceable Losses: Grace Hatch A (1st) & McKenzie Yi D (1st)
Graduation Losses: Lennon Wuher A (2nd) & Megan Lee D (2nd) & Melissa Wilson A
Key Returnees: Kenzie Gardner M (HM) & Isabel Steiner G (HM)
Random Notes: Atoms didn’t have a freshman make the Varsity last year so the above Senior losses are going to be really, really tough to replace. Long year as the last links to 2016 are gone.

Lake Braddock Bruins
Irreplaceable Losses: Sydney Shnider M (1st)
Graduation Losses: Erin Kelliher M (HM), Sam Hagerty & Maddie Ferrell D (HM)
Key Returnees: Sarah Peters A, Sophie Chausse D (HM) Alexa Lewis A & Sophie McCullers M (HM)
Random Notes: Bruins should have help coming in the second year if the parents allow the current coach to remain.

South County Stallions
Irreplaceable Losses: Gabby Salisbury M (1st), Julia Debrosse D (1st), Rachel Robinson (1st) & Issy English M (1st)
Graduation Losses: Grace Clark D (2nd), Carah Harvie A (HM) & Cheryl Maramba (2nd)
Key Returnees: Emily Sullivan M (1st), Makayla Maham D (HM) Lindsey Atchison A (HM) & Taylor Hamilton G (HM)
Random Notes: Coach MacIntosh-Mays still has the team engine Sully but replacing the whirling dervish on attack Gabby S will be difficult plus the graduated defenders. SoCo can always reload and build on wins over Oakton & Madison.

TC Williams Titans
Irreplaceable Losses: Neha Dewaker A (1st), Tess Collard M (1st) & Madigan Lubold D (1st)
Graduation Losses: Cammie Lowrey D (HM)
Key Returnees: Emma Irvin D (1st) Liese Ponzi M (2nd), Colleen Walsh A (2nd), Emory Hayes M (2nd) Athena Solomons A (HM)& Lexie Larson G (HM)
Random Notes: No Dewaker for TC is a problem as there has been a sister on the team forever plus lots of middies will be happy not to have to go against powerhouse TC driving to goal for TC anymore.

West Potomac Wolverines
Irreplaceable Losses: Claire Barber G (1st), Maddie Smith A (1st) Dist POY, Jackie Bewick M (1st)
Graduation Losses: Kameron Clarke D (2nd) & Abbie Weissman D (HM)
Key Returnees: Clare Madden A (1st), Lauren McDonald D (1st), Bella Demaso M (2nd), Aleigh Monroe G (HM), Caroline Eby A (2nd), Payton Rapp (2nd) & Lauren Ellis M Random Notes: Coach Lopez-Yusuf is COY however she loses an excellent SR class anchored by Smith, Bewick & Barber but she got lots of young players into games…so much so it cost her against Langley when Barber only played a half.

West Springfield Spartans
Irreplaceable Losses: Mary Ormsby A (1st)
Graduation Losses: Elissa Perdue A (HM)
Key Returnees: Stephanie Skahen M (1st), Alyssa Maryanopolis M (2nd), Ainsley Buckner A (2nd), Haley Morris D (HM), Jayde Meyer D (HM), Caeley Terapane A (HM), Heather Che (HM), Aiden Echols D (HM), Phonix Nichols D (HM) Bailey Brown D & Roxanne Rogers G.
Random Notes: Coach Puhlick loses one of his Captains but has a lot coming back and it could be the Spartans year.

WT Woodson Cavaliers
Irreplaceable Losses: Logan Dougherty A (State POY) (A-A) (AM-1st) (1st Region-POY) (1st-Dist-POY), Natalie Gates A-A (1st) Sydney Andes D (1st) & Rachel Williams D (1st)
Graduation Losses: Mariel Russ G (1st), Georgia Rafter D (HM) & Laurel Oliver
Key Returnees: Carlie Hartung A (1st), Margaret Stephan M (1st), Cassia Kruse M (2nd), Maddie Stedham (2nd), Sarah Wilson D (2nd) & Cat Gross G (2nd), Devin Alsup A (2nd), Campbell Brown A (2nd), Sara Cordia A (HM), Annie Reeves D (HM), Katherine Friedman M (HM) & Kelly Gross G
Random Notes: Cavs lose a 1st Team Goalie but still has two keepers that many schools would start, the SR & SO Gross sisters. Dougherty will be hard to replace, her 110 assists in 2018 were the second-most in a season by a Virginia High School League player, and her 229 career assists are second-highest all-time as she now plays for Army West Point. Gates was a lethal shooter and All-American Still the Cavs have some scorers back & Coach Lewis was VA COY so he should find a way to maximize the returning talent of the State Champs.

Oakton Cougars
Irreplaceable Losses: Lily Townsend M (1st) & Alyssa Johnson D (1st)
Graduation Losses: Isobel Aarons D (2nd), & Grace Beeman M (HM) & Katie Ambrose A
Key Returnees: Lexie Perine A (1st), Audrey Craig A (HM), Eleanor Newman (2nd), Emily Shepherd G, Ashlyn Casey D (HM), Sarah Goins M (HM) Katelyn Marshall A (HM) & Evelyn Pickett M
Random Notes: Coach Oliver had a very solid year and has some good young players & two Senior Goalies. Cougs don’t duck anyone opening against the Cavs & Stallions.

Robinson Rams
Irreplaceable Losses: None
Graduation Losses: Shea Dillon D (HM) & Jordan Cherry G
Key Returnees: Hannah Davis M (1st), Araz Stone D (1st), Grace Tompkins A (1st), Caroline Broderick D (1st), Haley Prosser A (2nd), Aly Carbaugh M (2nd), Abbie Glaser M (2nd), Hannah Book M (2nd), Liv Curran A (HM), Carolyn Carbaugh D (HM), Maggie Curry D (HM), Tate Lewis D (HM), Zoe Kluegul M (HM)
Random Notes: It is the Rams year as Coach Prosser takes over a squad that only lost two Seniors and have 13 field players back that were at least HM or above in the District…everyone but returning G Lily Tolibas.

Westfield Bulldogs
Irreplaceable Losses: Nicki McNamara M (1st) & Carly Duncan D (1st)
Graduation Losses: Natalia Lopez D (2nd)
Key Returnees: Molly O’Brien M (2nd), Addison Moore M (2nd), Katie Liskey D/M (HM) & Kylie Weatherholtz D/M (HM) & Nicole Chandler G (2nd) Random Notes: Take my comments with a grain of salt, as an example from last year “Coach Ruch may face a rebuilding year” nice call as she was District COY…made the Dawgs the Sportsmanship winners too!

Centreville Wildcats
Irreplaceable Losses: Jaimi Pollack M (1st), Paige Richbourg M AM-2nd (1st), & Emily Marciano A (1st)
Graduation Losses: Gianna Cooper D (HM), Heather Hull A (2nd), Blake Powderly A, Sidney Kiefaber M & Kelly Hyde A (HM)
Key Returnees: Steph Zempolich G (1st) Abby Stoffelen A/M (2nd) & Scotlyn Carf D
Random Notes: Wildcats Coach Sobel has his hands full (or empty as one wag told me) this season losing 8 Senior starters including the big 3. He has outstanding goalie Zempolich back but only 8 returning underclass field players.

Chantilly Chargers
Irreplaceable Losses: Maeve Davis D (1st)
Graduation Losses: Maria Paula Secada A, & Nadeen Shaheen G & Maddie Ward D
Key Returnees: Sasha Gonzales (2nd), Izzy Gonzalez (HM) & Alexis Tacinelli D (HM),
Random Notes: Chargers no longer have Coach Chen as Chantilly is the latest to let parents make the coaching decisions and roster calls. They didn’t like 8 freshmen on the team so they got their wish no frosh this year and only 16 of the 22 underclassmen from last year remain. Good luck to the purple!

Madison Warhawks
Irreplaceable Losses: Ashley Go Madison D (1st), Carly Rogers M (1st) Dist POY, Ellie Socher G (1st) & Zoe Dyer A (2nd)
Graduation Losses:
Key Returnees: Laurel Yano (1st), Bailey Brummer M (1st), Paige Williams A (2nd), McKenna Nolan A (2nd), Morgan Muse M (2nd), Cameron Counts D (2nd), Kayla Goldsmith D (2nd), Caitlin Blankenship D (2nd) & Kelly Hager G (2nd)
Random Notes: Coach Counts is lucky she isn’t out in Chantilly where you can be fired for playing freshman with familiar last names. The four Seniors were all keys to the Warhawks sucess, I saw three Madison games and I would probably have given a 2nd team honor to Choutka rather than a player I never saw on the field after warm-ups.

Langley Saxons
Irreplaceable Losses: Lilly Byrne D AM-HM (1st) & Sareena Dhillon M (1st),
Irreplaceable Underclass Losses: Charlotte Smith D AM-2nd (1st) Dist POY to private school
Graduation Losses: Abby Kontzais M (2nd), Becca Canfield D (2nd), Avarie Rembert A (HM), Stephanie Long D (HM) Jennie Canfield G (HM) & Brooke Balducci A (HM)
Key Returnees: London Simonides A (Injured), Caroline Bean A AM-HM (1st), & Courtney Kuligowski M (2nd)
Random Notes: I got an encoded PM on the dark web from the Smoking Man (robohobo) as part of the secret LaX-Files that despite losing 9 Seniors (he confirmed that last year again wasn’t their year and said Special Counsel Mueller has this conspiracy next on his agenda) the Saxons are reloading to take on Robo in the State Championship at their underground former Great Falls Nike Missile Site now the Laxon Secret Training Center under Mortimer Duke’s gated mansion!

Yorktown Patriots
Irreplaceable Losses: Katie Calvo M AM-2nd (1st) & Camille Kuwana A (1st)
Graduation Losses: Sarah Bloomquist A (HM)
Key Returnees: Claire Kuwana A (1st), Kate Burke A (2nd), Ellie Dorsey M (2nd), Megan Hemstreet D (2nd), Emma Hutchinson M (HM), Caroline Thurman D (HM) & Olivia Klein G (HM)
Random Notes: Coach Tran is Liberty COY and will now try to unseat the Laxons and keep girls from going to the resurgent neighbor Knights!

Marshal Statesmen
Irreplaceable Losses: Condons

Fairfax Rebels
Graduation Losses: Anna Whetzal M (HM)
Key Returnees: Tatum Orlando A (HM), Maggie Cooke G, Lucy McCarthy M, Christian Grimmell M & Kylie Horn D
Random Notes: More girls in club lacrosse this year should help Coach Horn.

Hayfield Hawks
Irreplaceable Losses: Caroline Birch A (1st)
Graduation Losses: Lily Villacorte A (HM), Nataleigh Weber M &
Key Returnees: Katie Silbermann M AM-HM (1st), Haley Szramoski D (2nd) & Vanessa Board M (HM) & Freya Muehlbauer G
Random Notes: Coach Austin got the Hawks to the second round of the Region last year and had 6 frosh on the team.

McLean Highlanders
Irreplaceable Losses: Cassidy Slavik A (1st), Camille Duffy D (1st) & Julia Koehl D (1st)
Graduation Losses: Grace Roomian A (2nd), Grace Davis D (HM) & Avery Dahl D (HM)
Key Returnees: Ella Sangree D AM-HM (1st), Genevieve Deeken M (2nd), Natalie Hendrick D (2nd), Sarah Rice A (HM) & Camille Blakemore M (HM)
Random Notes: The Highlanders got everyone but Saxons, Warhawks & played SoCo hard until Gabby whirled the Fillies to a two-goal win!

Herndon Hornets
Graduation Losses: Julie Kercher D (2nd), Logan Kruse A
Key Returnees: Madison Kercher M (1st), Jordon Meyer G (2nd), Sarah Batt A (2nd), Sarah Toner M (2nd), Payton Tyrell M (HM), Corryn Jones A (HM)
Random Notes: Hornets bring in Coach Chen to work with the young talent maybe more than he had at his last stop. I remember Coach Cassara would always have a dangerous team and I expect it to be the same up North now.

Sorry I didn’t see more teams last year but I’ll try to do better and hope some others will cover the PWC & LC teams plus South Lakes, Mount Vernon, W-L, J.E.B. Stuart…sorry I mean…Buford T. Justice High School Shooting Sheriffs!
Dr. Tact

Re: 2019 Preview

Post by Dr. Tact »

UnderArmourOdor wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:49 pm
Here is a look at some of the teams I saw last year. Hopefully some with more knowledge of these and other missing teams will pitch in:

Robinson Rams
Irreplaceable Losses: None
Graduation Losses: Shea Dillon D (HM) & Jordan Cherry G
Key Returnees: Hannah Davis M (1st), Araz Stone D (1st), Grace Tompkins A (1st), Caroline Broderick D (1st), Haley Prosser A (2nd), Aly Carbaugh M (2nd), Abbie Glaser M (2nd), Hannah Book M (2nd), Liv Curran A (HM), Carolyn Carbaugh D (HM), Maggie Curry D (HM), Tate Lewis D (HM), Zoe Kluegul M (HM)
Random Notes: It is the Rams year as Coach Prosser takes over a squad that only lost two Seniors and have 13 field players back that were at least HM or above in the District…everyone but returning G Lily Tolibas.
I have heard that Abbie Glaser is not playing for the Rams this year.

Kudos to UAO on the wealth of information....now, we need an OPTM :idea:
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

Yes. Kudos to UAO. :ugeek: Dr. Tact, is that a call for votes :?:
NFG4CHS

Post by NFG4CHS »

Took the caravan from Rolling Road to watch Westie take on the post blonde ambition era Purple and honestly wasn't surprised of the down turn. Best player on Purple appears to be the goalie and no longer do they have a significant offensive as it seems parents took care of that (hoping I am as eloquent as UAO). Appears Tacinelli isn't playing unless I missed and defense looked extremely slow--significant loss-- and was half expecting Purple's version of Oakton's bball Coyer twins the Cryer twins standing on the side sobbing into the parents arms as seen in the past. :lol: Westie looked rusty but Coach Puhlick will always get them ready and it's early. Think Westie took the game 9-4 but who knows as Purple didn't have scoreboard on?????!! :roll: Not too sure who else played on this brisk evening but heard that Herndon/Westfield played tonight and Herndon took it????? Anyone with insight to that? Westfield looked very strong last year so that is shocking if correct. Anyone know of any other games? Good to get back in the saddle of spring lacrosse!
NFG4CHS

Post by NFG4CHS »

OK all, casting a line and seeing what bites with my Top 10.
1) Woodson
2) Langley
3) Robinson
4) Madison
5) Yorktown
6) South County
7) Oakton
8) West Potomac
9) West Springfield
10) Westfield
Rental_Unit

Post by Rental_Unit »

I saw the Herndon Westfield game last night. With one of Herndon’s captains and starting midfielder on the sidelines for a tweaked foot, Herndon beat Westfield 23-8 with a running clock the entire 2nd half
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

If we are going to start voting, my early crack at a pre-season Top 10:

1) Woodson
2) Robinson
3) Langley
4) Madison
5) Herndon
6) Yorktown
7) West Potomac
8) Oakton
9) South County
10) West Springfield
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

VALaxer wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:28 am If we are going to start voting, my early crack at a pre-season Top 10:

1) Woodson
2) Robinson
3) Langley
4) Madison
5) Herndon
6) Yorktown
7) West Potomac
8) Oakton
9) South County
10) West Springfield
Pretty good list there...

here's my guesses

1 - Woodson
2 - Robo
3 - Laxons
4 - Madison
5 - West Po
6A - Yorktown
6B - Herndon
8 - South County
9 - Oakton
10 - West Spring
NFG4CHS

Post by NFG4CHS »

Saturday's stop after Pupatella's took us to BJOC to see the Knight's host the Cougars in Arlington. Still on the scrimmage path and the Knight's jumped out quickly and handled the first half easily. Second half looked to be a rotation for BJOC and by my recollection the Cougars' stuck with their mains in its entirety and took the second half by one. Good to see a public take on a private with both playing well. Zebra crew home base looked to be out of Loudoun County and mentioned the game to be at from their side of town is next week's Freedom-Herndon. May have to resubmit top 10 as I left Herndon off and meant no disrespect but still waiting to see if it's Live or if it's Memorex. Bit of a drive unless crew picks a good eats destination as I do not think Chick-Fil-A shows at scrimmages. Rental Unit, you traveling to LOCO to catch it? Any other scrimmages closer in to central Fairfax? Want to catch a Woodson scrimmage/game just to see some continued dominance but also want to show some love for others. Hoping weather holds off so we can get to games which start this week as well.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

NFG4CHS wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:00 am Saturday's stop after Pupatella's took us to BJOC to see the Knight's host the Cougars in Arlington. Still on the scrimmage path and the Knight's jumped out quickly and handled the first half easily. Second half looked to be a rotation for BJOC and by my recollection the Cougars' stuck with their mains in its entirety and took the second half by one. Good to see a public take on a private with both playing well. Zebra crew home base looked to be out of Loudoun County and mentioned the game to be at from their side of town is next week's Freedom-Herndon. May have to resubmit top 10 as I left Herndon off and meant no disrespect but still waiting to see if it's Live or if it's Memorex. Bit of a drive unless crew picks a good eats destination as I do not think Chick-Fil-A shows at scrimmages. Rental Unit, you traveling to LOCO to catch it? Any other scrimmages closer in to central Fairfax? Want to catch a Woodson scrimmage/game just to see some continued dominance but also want to show some love for others. Hoping weather holds off so we can get to games which start this week as well.
Robo Scrimmages BJOC Monday at 7:30 at Robo.
Dr. Tact

Schedules

Post by Dr. Tact »

I thought I'd start posting games assuming that others can post as well.

Robo:

3/4 O'Connell @ Robo
3/7 George Mason @ GM
3/14 Centreville @ Robo
3/23 Annandale Tournament @ Annandale
3/25 South County @ Robo
3/29 Lake Braddock @ LB
3/30 Annandale Tournament @ Annandale
4/3 Chantilly @ Robo
4/8 Flint Hill @ Robo
4/10 West Spring @ WS
4/25 Fairfax @ Robo
4/29 Patriot @ Robo
5/3 Woodson @ Woodson
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:35 am
NFG4CHS wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:00 am Saturday's stop after Pupatella's took us to BJOC to see the Knight's host the Cougars in Arlington. Still on the scrimmage path and the Knight's jumped out quickly and handled the first half easily. Second half looked to be a rotation for BJOC and by my recollection the Cougars' stuck with their mains in its entirety and took the second half by one. Good to see a public take on a private with both playing well.
Robo Scrimmages BJOC Monday at 7:30 at Robo.
Cold one at Coffey last night....Robo looked ready sporting new unis....No score was kept, but it looked like the Rams doubled up the Knights.

Rams new staff got everyone in (it is a scrimmage) by utilizing what looked like two full lines. Anyway, Spring is here, right? brrr
NFG4CHS

Post by NFG4CHS »

Good read Doc. Perhaps Robo being under new management could give Cavs a run this year--will be good to see those two battle. Heard Herndon-Freedom canceled for tonight and now moved to Herndon for this Thursday. Little closer and if it gets a little warmer, may catch.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

NFG4CHS wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:50 am Perhaps Robo being under new management could give Cavs a run this year--will be good to see those two battle.
[Keeps head down]. It will be an interesting final game for both, if, Robinson finds Scoring and Keeping. Defense is the strength of the Rams' squad this year...I bet my friend UAO has something to say bout those two teams....

Return to “HS GIRLS LACROSSE”