College Predictions For IL Young Guns Top 10 For 2023?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: College Predictions For IL Young Guns Top 10 For 2023?

Post by wgdsr »

individual decisions can and will be influenced by lots of factors, but a #1 qb type is hedged imo to go where they might get the keys for 4 years.
don't see uva if that's the case here.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:40 pm individual decisions can and will be influenced by lots of factors, but a #1 qb type is hedged imo to go where they might get the keys for 4 years.
Don’t have to go back too far to disprove that assumption. Aren’t Shellenberger and Moore two recent examples of #1 QB types who committed to UVA even though it was clear they wouldn’t get the keys on day one?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Wheels wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:21 pm Lehman to MD. His club team has strong ties to Tills.
Terps or Cavs,
that’s the recent trend in SE PA top 10-20 recruits.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

BigTom5 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:14 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:40 pm individual decisions can and will be influenced by lots of factors, but a #1 qb type is hedged imo to go where they might get the keys for 4 years.
Don’t have to go back too far to disprove that assumption. Aren’t Shellenberger and Moore two recent examples of #1 QB types who committed to UVA even though it was clear they wouldn’t get the keys on day one?
maybe moore thought of himself as a qb. not sure. he did play some middie in h.s. so it wasn't probably a big surprise to him i'd guess to start there. when he was offered to move to attack his soph year he originally declined, unsure that's what he should do. then they had injuries in the fall and he agreed to do it.

shellenberger committed in late 2016, so he wouldn't have that calculus of transparency. actually, neither would moore probably at the time he committed, even if he thought he was a qb. now they're on a different and shorter timeline.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:36 pm
maybe moore thought of himself as a qb. not sure. he did play some middie in h.s. so it wasn't probably a big surprise to him i'd guess to start there. when he was offered to move to attack his soph year he originally declined, unsure that's what he should do. then they had injuries in the fall and he agreed to do it.

shellenberger committed in late 2016, so he wouldn't have that calculus of transparency. actually, neither would moore probably at the time he committed, even if he thought he was a qb. now they're on a different and shorter timeline.
That’s fair. Still I doubt the prospect of one year of overlap playing with and learning from Shellenberger isn’t seen as a big negative.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

BigTom5 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:41 pm

That’s fair. Still I doubt the prospect of one year of overlap playing with and learning from Shellenberger isn’t seen as a big negative.
it's worked out for those guys. still, if we're handicapping here, it hasn't been mentioned. and if we're just talking sports and not school fit, that and going somewhere with maybe a class you're good with looms larger imo than who has gotten recruits from where in the past.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

I don’t think the issue would be Shellenberger, but rather Truit Sunderland who they bring in next year. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think he is a “qb type”.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:29 pm
Wheels wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:21 pm Lehman to MD. His club team has strong ties to Tills.
Terps or Cavs,
He's apparently a quite good football RB. Imagine he'd be a Patriot League target for football. That's the real question I have. I do think the Terps are in a good spot for him.

Millon's mom is a Terp grad, but a lot of MD fans who are plugged into the MIAA scene don't think there's a chance he'd go to College Park. I tend to never count out Tills, but Millon would be a tough get.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

Powellfan22 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:57 pm

I don’t think the issue would be Shellenberger, but rather Truit Sunderland who they bring in next year. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think he is a “qb type”.
I just think that it’s a bad crutch argument that top recruit “QB types” don’t want to play with other alphas.

O’Neill didn’t scare off McAdorey
Pat Kavanaugh didn’t scare off his brother
Epstein didn’t scare off Grimes
Shellenberger didn’t scare off Sunderland

If you are one of these top five recruits, you typically aren’t scared of competition and ultimately want to put yourself in the best position to win titles.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

BigTom5 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:19 pm O’Neill didn’t scare off McAdorey
Shellenberger didn’t scare off Sunderland.
Grimes is a lefty wing shooter—he was never a QB type. The thought was then (and probably still is) that their skill sets actually compliment each other. Epstein's existence was never going to be a barrier to Grimes getting playing time.

O'Neill is similar. Definitely not a QB who's going to take time away from someone like McAdorey (who might not be a QB either). I mean, they already played together and meshed well at St. Anthony's—if anything that was another draw for McAdorey and not an obstacle.

When Sunderland committed, Shellenberger hadn't played a lick of college lacrosse, and it was unclear at that point what his college position was going to be. There was too much uncertainty for it to be a true deterrent to Sunderland IMO.

I can think of one that clearly fits the criteria though. Jackson Morrill was scared off by Shack Stanwick. There's a story in US Lacrosse Mag about it. Had Shack not just committed to Hop (as a former #1 recruit and clear QB) then Morrill may have wound up at Homewood. But because Shack was already there and had a pretty similar skill set, he took his talents to New Haven.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:44 pm
BigTom5 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:19 pm O’Neill didn’t scare off McAdorey
Shellenberger didn’t scare off Sunderland.
Grimes is a lefty wing shooter—he was never a QB type. The thought was then (and probably still is) that their skill sets actually compliment each other. Epstein's existence was never going to be a barrier to Grimes getting playing time.

O'Neill is similar. Definitely not a QB who's going to take time away from someone like McAdorey (who might not be a QB either). I mean, they already played together and meshed well at St. Anthony's—if anything that was another draw for McAdorey and not an obstacle.

When Sunderland committed, Shellenberger hadn't played a lick of college lacrosse, and it was unclear at that point what his college position was going to be. There was too much uncertainty for it to be a true deterrent to Sunderland IMO.

I can think of one that clearly fits the criteria though. Jackson Morrill was scared off by Shack Stanwick. There's a story in US Lacrosse Mag about it. Had Shack not just committed to Hop (as a former #1 recruit and clear QB) then Morrill may have wound up at Homewood. But because Shack was already there and had a pretty similar skill set, he took his talents to New Haven.
Grimes is probably a bad example, but O’Neill isn’t Grimes. Whether he is a “QB” or not, he wants the ball in his stick. So does McAdorey, both Kavanaughs, Shellenberger and Sunderland. Yet they went to teams knowing they won’t be the primary facilitator as freshman.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

I would have expected more commitments this week. Is it just me or is it a little slower so far this year?
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

nyjay wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:19 pm I would have expected more commitments this week. Is it just me or is it a little slower so far this year?
The Covid logjam is pretty real and is slowing down the process on both sides. Coaches have stacked rosters and can afford to be picky. Players are wary of depth charts that are overweighted with 4th, 5th and 6th year players. It's a good time to be in the PG business. IMG is offering a spring semester only option for their boarding school. It costs more than I paid for my first house, but it beats shoveling snow off the field at Taft in February.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Good story came out yesterday in the New England Lacrosse Journal: "Analysis: Why the flow of ’23 commits is starting as a trickle"
https://www.laxjournal.com/analysis-why ... a-trickle/

Here is one quote from the article:
When asked how many of his players would commit on day one, a top club team coach in the region said, “Zero. (I) have guys that will be recruited heavily, but all of them want to go on campus visits first.”
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Makes sense. Thanks for the insights.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Wheels wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:04 pm
10stone5 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:29 pm
Terps or Cavs,
He's apparently a quite good football RB. Imagine he'd be a Patriot League target for football. That's the real question I have. I do think the Terps are in a good spot for him.

Millon's mom is a Terp grad, but a lot of MD fans who are plugged into the MIAA scene don't think there's a chance he'd go to College Park. I tend to never count out Tills, but Millon would be a tough get.
Lehmans dad also played lacrosse at Penn State and I think that entire family is heavily connected to the program in Happy Valley. As I understand it he has grown up around that campus. I don’t see him going anywhere but PSU or UMD.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

.@ILPreps No. 35 junior Larry Horning ‘23, M, Georgetown Prep (Md.) / @MADLAX1 has committed to Georgetown
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

AreaLax wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:21 pm .@ILPreps No. 35 junior Larry Horning ‘23, M, Georgetown Prep (Md.) / @MADLAX1 has committed to Georgetown
David Sullivan
Dartmouth
Verified
The Roxbury Latin School (MA)
Class of 2023 - Defense
6-0 | 195lbs
Left Hand
——————————
Matthew Han
Michigan
Verified
Paul VI Catholic High School (VA)
Class of 2023 - Midfield
6-0 | 175lbs
Right Hand
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

‘23 LSM/D Eli Petty has committed to @UVAMensLax
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

late '22 flip from OSU to ND defensive Declan Cooke
Goalie to Michigan the ‘23 Crandall Quinn
‘23 midfielder Jake Spallina to Cuse

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”