Coaching Carousel

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LarryGamLax

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by LarryGamLax »

8meterPA wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:50 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:33 pm
8meterPA wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:01 pm
hmmm wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:37 pm https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... osse-coach

Tough for the Furman freshman that just got to campus.
I don't get the move from Furman to Coastal. Furman is a really nice academic school, good reputation and reasonably competitive within its conf. Kind of puzzling, at least to me.

If I'm Furman I offer the associate head coach the head coach job on at least an interim basis with oppty for permanent job depending on the season.. And I do that tomorrow at the latest. Kids are back to school and practice is starting.
Did you follow Coastal this past season? They were 2 or 3 wins from the top 25. Coach Selvage had a good mix of transfers and recruits and was building something really good. They were #12 in D1 Football and went to their first postseason Bowl Game ever. The school's academic rep is on the rise and a lot of students like the Myrtle Beach location.
I would say the new coach saw this as a Vertical move.
Actually I do follow both teams. Furman beat Coastal this past year 13-10 and had a nice season at 12-7. Honestly you could argue Furman was a win or two away from top 25, not Coastal.

Anyway move doesn't make sense to me, especially at this point of season.

Actually they were 12-5. I'm glad Coastal was able to get someone so late. The move doesn't have to make sense to you, as long as it makes sense to Rachel. I hope she does well.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

lol I get a kick out of Larry (literally and figuratively). Resident lovable curmudgeon. I’m probably on his foes list but he cracks me up sometimes with how combative and hair trigger he can be.
LaxCoach13

Post by LaxCoach13 »

hmmm wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:37 pm https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... osse-coach

I don't get the move from Furman to Coastal. Furman is a really nice academic school, good reputation and reasonably competitive within its conf. Kind of puzzling, at least to me.

If I'm Furman I offer the associate head coach the head coach job on at least an interim basis with oppty for permanent job depending on the season.. And I do that tomorrow at the latest. Kids are back to school and practice is starting.
Answer could be as simple as money, I had seen a article that CC old coach was getting paid $96,000. Not sure what Furman was paying but also CC is a state school with state benefits
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

LaxCoach13 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:07 am

Answer could be as simple as money, I had seen a article that CC old coach was getting paid $96,000. Not sure what Furman was paying but also CC is a state school with state benefits
I wonder if the recent turmoil in the Furman athletic department with the elimination of baseball and Men's lacrosse had anything to do with it?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

cltlax wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:33 am

I wonder if the recent turmoil in the Furman athletic department with the elimination of baseball and Men's lacrosse had anything to do with it?
I think there may be something in this: administration showed a very well-known and well-regarded Richie Meade, and the whole men's program, the door without any real opposition. I don't know if the end of baseball and men's lax was a Title IX balancing act. If not, women's coach may have been properly spooked by that.
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

I agree with this 1000%. As the saying goes money talks and bulls%* walks
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

My understanding is that the whole Furman staff is going to Coastal Carolina. Elizabeth Davis, Furman Chancellor, has made it clear that she wants to de-emphasis athletics at Furman. I agree with 8Meter that it is a fine school academically, but do I want to be a coach at a school where the Chancellor isn't backing sports 100%
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

TNLAX wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:41 am My understanding is that the whole Furman staff is going to Coastal Carolina. Elizabeth Davis, Furman Chancellor, has made it clear that she wants to de-emphasis athletics at Furman. I agree with 8Meter that it is a fine school academically, but do I want to be a coach at a school where the Chancellor isn't backing sports 100%
Wasn't aware of this - now it makes total sense. And agree, if top admin isn't on board with the program - then time to leave.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:56 am

I think there may be something in this: administration showed a very well-known and well-regarded Richie Meade, and the whole men's program, the door without any real opposition. I don't know if the end of baseball and men's lax was a Title IX balancing act. If not, women's coach may have been properly spooked by that.
thanks for the info - it's a shame. Built a nice program down there and now left the kids in the lurch. Don't blame the coaching staff for leaving.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

8meterPA wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:24 am
seacoaster wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:56 am

thanks for the info - it's a shame. Built a nice program down there and now left the kids in the lurch. Don't blame the coaching staff for leaving.
Yeah, agreed; that's the summary: the kids are really let down. Hope Furman can step in and do right by them. It's a really nice school for the right kind of kid.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Here is a link to Furmans Form 990:

https://www.furman.edu/offices-services ... y-2019.pdf

You can see the salaries of their top employees. The women's lacrosse coach didn't make the list. But former men's lacrosse coach, Richie Meade had a salary in 2019 of over $260k....which to me seems a little extravagant.
OuttaNowhereWregget

This is where coach Tucker gets off the carousel

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Johns Hopkins head coach Janine Tucker will retire after the 2022 season, the university announced today:

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... 022-season

Let the speculation as to her replacement begin!
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Janine Tucker and I have been friends for over 30 years. She is the same person today that I met at Hopkins all those years ago. She's sweet, funny, caring, competitive and absolutely a wonderful friend. She cares about her players like they are her sons. I always enjoyed talking with her, seeing her, and being seen with her and Tara Singleton, her longtime assistant.

This 2021-22 season will be her last, but her presence at Johns Hopkins will loom large forever. Love you Janine!
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Drexel rounds out their coaching staff with assistants Alyssa Guido & Katie O'Donnell
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:23 pm Drexel rounds out their coaching staff with assistants Alyssa Guido & Katie O'Donnell
I may be the only one that finds it interesting that Katie O'Donnell left Lehigh - they have a nice team and she was only there 2 years.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

8meterPA wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:14 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:23 pm Drexel rounds out their coaching staff with assistants Alyssa Guido & Katie O'Donnell
I may be the only one that finds it interesting that Katie O'Donnell left Lehigh - they have a nice team and she was only there 2 years.
Hadn't thought of that. Where is she from? Maybe she doesn't want to spend another year in Bethlehem? Boyfriend/girlfriend in Philly? Eagles season tickets? Family around there?

And I should have added: you're right. They have a nice team at Lehigh, particularly with those three young attackers. Not sure if the two (in particular) really good midfielders are back in '22.
Last edited by seacoaster on Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:36 pm
Hadn't thought of that. Where is she from? Maybe she doesn't want to spend another year in Bethlehem? Boyfriend/girlfriend in Philly? Eagles season tickets? Family around there?
Lehigh does have a good program, but family is from West Chester, so Philly would be closer. Probably closer to a lot of friends living in/around the city as well.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

And I should have added: you're right. They have a nice team at Lehigh, particularly with those three young attackers. Not sure if the two (in particular) really good midfielders are back in '22.
Dickey was the strength of the Lehigh team. If she is not back, I think she was already 5th year last year, then they need to fill some big shoes. Carnevale (SP?) shows alot of finishing skills and the other super soph Attacks from last year put up good numbers. Lehigh will still be top three of the Patriot League in 2022 regardless of their Assistant coaches departure.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:23 pm

Dickey was the strength of the Lehigh team. If she is not back, I think she was already 5th year last year, then they need to fill some big shoes. Carnevale (SP?) shows alot of finishing skills and the other super soph Attacks from last year put up good numbers. Lehigh will still be top three of the Patriot League in 2022 regardless of their Assistant coaches departure.
Yes last year was her 5th year!
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:40 pm
Lehigh does have a good program, but family is from West Chester, so Philly would be closer. Probably closer to a lot of friends living in/around the city as well.
although given the traffic - Lehigh may be a shorter commute than Phila!

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”