Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by HopFan16 »

mdlaxfan wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:36 am 06 keeps trashing the women's team, most recently saying that they never contributed to any of the classes he attended in his 4 years there, implying that they are just a bunch of dumb kids and don't belong at JHU academically. This is getting old. In the most recent semester, they posted a 3.71 average GPA and had 6 players with a perfect 4.0 GPA. They also have 9 players who have a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or greater.
One of them turned him down at a Wawa party 18 years ago and he's since made it his life mission to post on lacrosse forums about how much he hates their sweatpants. I wouldn't pay much attention to it.
jhu06 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:10 am I never played lacrosse at Hopkins-not even the club team, never intimated that and am not even on the email list you guys get. the lacrosse playground rankings hf16 found were something I don't know but they said they talked to 100 coaches etc which is a lot of work and I have to respect that. W/PM's recruiting classes I'm going to be thinking about loyola-a program whose classes are never beloved by xanders, under armour game evaluators etc but who tend to end their careers playing a lot of may lacrosse.

The recruit from harlem lacrosse is a great story as is the canadian influx and I'm sure there are others. Maybe quint, carc, anish, and that kid from connecticut who didn't know there was an s on johns can find the time to add some new material to the broadcasts next spring now that the stanwicks are long gone and they can't reminisce on petro.
This is actually one of your occasional good points that often get lost in the utter nonsense about Ohio State football and women's athleisure. What Toomey has done at Loyola is all the proof you need that success can be had despite IL not rating your classes especially highly. Good coaching is a large part of it. That's not to say we can't or won't have highly rated classes (PM seems to have done just fine with the '22s, we'll see about the '23s), just that it's certainly not the end all be all.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:10 am I never played lacrosse at Hopkins-not even the club team, never intimated that and am not even on the email list you guys get. the lacrosse playground rankings hf16 found were something I don't know but they said they talked to 100 coaches etc which is a lot of work and I have to respect that. W/PM's recruiting classes I'm going to be thinking about loyola-a program whose classes are never beloved by xanders, under armour game evaluators etc but who tend to end their careers playing a lot of may lacrosse.

The recruit from harlem lacrosse is a great story as is the canadian influx and I'm sure there are others. Maybe quint, carc, anish, and that kid from connecticut who didn't know there was an s on johns can find the time to add some new material to the broadcasts next spring now that the stanwicks are long gone and they can't reminisce on petro.
so...what are your bona fides in these discussions?
No sweat if it's just a fan of Hopkins Lax, perhaps fostered as an undergrad with frat brothers or in the band or whatever...plenty of those on here who've watched a ton of lax over the years.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

mdlaxfan wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:36 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:54 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:49 am 06 isn't a former player???

Yikes, I'd been assuming he was, and in my mind, deserving of a bit of slack for being so sharply critical.
You can't be serious. 06? Has anyone read any of his posts? Feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:49 amAre you sure about that GPA? I think it was more likely 2.6, not 3.6.
Yes, for the spring at least:

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2021/7/2 ... ebook.aspx
It's All Academic – Part I
In case you missed it, a school-record 20 Blue Jays earned Academic All-Big Ten honors in the spring and 11 were named Big Ten Distinguished Scholars.

It's All Academic – Part II
Johns Hopkins posted a combined team GPA of 3.58 in the spring with five players posting a perfect 4.0 GPA for the semester.
Don't know what the full year team GPA was but the point is these kids are doing just fine.
06 keeps trashing the women's team, most recently saying that they never contributed to any of the classes he attended in his 4 years there, implying that they are just a bunch of dumb kids and don't belong at JHU academically. This is getting old. In the most recent semester, they posted a 3.71 average GPA and had 6 players with a perfect 4.0 GPA. They also have 9 players who have a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or greater.
Just to be clear, we're not the same poster.

I dunno how much 06 has trashed the women's team, but definitely agree that they've been considerably higher academic performing than the men's team, year in and year out. Perhaps not quite as much as many of the DIII programs, but definitely higher. And not for nuthin', but a pretty darn attractive bunch of gals. Way better "diversity" quotient too. https://hopkinssports.com/sports/womens-lacrosse/roster

I agree with the other comments that Tucker was a keeper, very unlikely for her players to be an embarrassment to the school off the field, solid program, class act...much more likely that she simply wants to do other things...being a head coach is a grind, maybe 'she's been there, done that' and wants a different lifestyle?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Long past getting old
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Seems odd to recite the history and then dismiss it.

Countries purge, companies purge, athletic teams purge. One reason is ties to the previous administration especially if there were a few hot button a person was on the wrong side from the new decision maker’s position.

I like Jen and her dog. I don’t think she masterminded anything. I place the responsibility on her predecessor who probably never should have been AD in the first place.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

hmmm wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:50 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:08 pm Anyone know what this is about? I assume it's just to mark the start of fall practice but it also sorta seems like it might be teasing some kind of announcement or reveal:

https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 6323620864
It's the first day of contacting 2023 recruits on 9/1. Has nothing to do with fall practice
Thanks tips. Today was the first fall practice
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

OCanada wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:57 pm Seems odd to recite the history and then dismiss it.

Countries purge, companies purge, athletic teams purge. One reason is ties to the previous administration especially if there were a few hot button a person was on the wrong side from the new decision maker’s position.

I like Jen and her dog. I don’t think she masterminded anything. I place the responsibility on her predecessor who probably never should have been AD in the first place.
What does any of this mean? Who's reciting history and dismissing it? Hot buttons? What? So happy you like Jen's dog. I am sure everyone is relieved. Look, I don't know Alanna Shanahan from Alannis Morrisette but there is one fact that disputes the assertion that she was unqualified for the job of AD as detailed below:

Most Directors' Cup Fall Points – Division III History (1995-2019)
Johns Hopkins – 481 (2019-20)
Johns Hopkins – 475 (2018-19)
Williams – 412 (2004-05)
Washington-St. Louis – 410 (2016-17)
Johns Hopkins – 383 (2017-18)

If I were her - I would put this on my CV. She might have since she parlayed the above facts into 2 higher paying jobs. So whether she's greedy, devious, incompetent, lucky or whatever - it apparently worked. Now one can legitimately argue that these DIII achievements were borne on the back of the coaches that Calder selected/employed. Fine. But it would appear that she had the ability to say - don't fix what isn't broke. What team probably dragged down the fall standings in the 3/4 years she was around with a record of 36-27 - uhh might have been men's lacrosse - I'm not sure.

Still no definitive statement on what any of this has to do with Janine Tucker.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I've never understood the concept of good academics d3 schools having amazing sports teams. Is it that kids who aren't good enough to play d1 just want the best education possible? You see williams and amherst at the top of these things all the time and it's hard to really understand what their admissions directors and school Presidents are thinking. What is the real objective for amherst having amazing sports teams when what they're selling is academics. It's not like they're making $$$ off their football team.
Superlite2

Post by Superlite2 »

or student athletes who want to go to a strong academic school AND play high level athletics...those top NESCAC schools attract players who could likely play D1 (not really field time for the top teams) but would rather be in a less restrictive time commitment (and think studying abroad)..
-those student athletes must meet the qualifications of the admissions office (be equal to other accepted applicants)
jhu06 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:27 am I've never understood the concept of good academics d3 schools having amazing sports teams. Is it that kids who aren't good enough to play d1 just want the best education possible? You see williams and amherst at the top of these things all the time and it's hard to really understand what their admissions directors and school Presidents are thinking. What is the real objective for amherst having amazing sports teams when what they're selling is academics. It's not like they're making $$$ off their football team.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:27 am I've never understood the concept of good academics d3 schools having amazing sports teams. Is it that kids who aren't good enough to play d1 just want the best education possible? You see williams and amherst at the top of these things all the time and it's hard to really understand what their admissions directors and school Presidents are thinking. What is the real objective for amherst having amazing sports teams when what they're selling is academics. It's not like they're making $$$ off their football team.
There's no scholarship money so it's not costing them a ton. And a lot of those NESCAC schools have a long history in athletics and the alumni take a lot of pride in it. Success in athletics helps drive alumni donations to the school.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

hmmm wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:05 am
There's no scholarship money so it's not costing them a ton. And a lot of those NESCAC schools have a long history in athletics and the alumni take a lot of pride in it. Success in athletics helps drive alumni donations to the school.
I think it's akin to why the Ivies support sports so strongly (albeit don't expect to compete nationally anymore with football). Note that Ivies have more sports programs, and more athletes as a proportion of total students, than do any other D1 schools.

There's an actual notion that they're developing leaders for the future, not simply trying to crank out the top academic talents. And that the athletes have a pretty darn good track record in that respect.

There's also tradition, school camaraderie, and spirit elements and certainly there's been a willingness of the athlete alums to financially contribute heavily to the ongoing upkeep of their respective sports, and athletics overall.

And unlike most D1's, the athletes don't cost the school in tuition aid any more than the rest of the student body, indeed maybe even a bit less.

The NESCAC's have had much the same attitude and for much the same reasons. Simply DIII. Indeed, also a lower total time commitment required.

As to why athletes choose to go to these schools, I'm sure it's akin to why DIII athletes choose to go to Hopkins, expectations of strong academics, competitive sports, and excellent brand recognition of diploma.

However, I don't think there are a lot of Ivy qualified athletes who choose to go to NESCAC (if anything, the Amherst, Williams, Middlebury etc academic requirements are stiffer for athletes than Ivies; darn close in any case); more often it's that a kid is bubble athletically for an Ivy but courted by the NESCAC; of course, lots of those 'bubble' kids end up being terrific as they further mature. And, sure, expectation of being a starter would be a factor. There are also sure to be exceptions, family ties, etc.

But, I don't think there are many high D1 athlete recruits who opt for NESCAC over Ivy...they might have been recruited at lower academic/athletic D1 schools, but had academic ambitions beyond those schools...so a NESCAC would be a huge win for that kid. Same for Hop in its DIII sports.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Sometimes you get great student-athletes that way, and great people.

I posted this on another thread, but the star of my daughter's field hockey team chose MIT over Harvard, largely because she wanted to play under the D-III athletics model, not the D-! model. I want my Jays to beat Maryland in men's lacrosse, but for the rest, I was proud of their D-III sports then and am now.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I have to pass out some kudos to the Hopkins athletic web-site - thought the men's soccer and field hockey season previews were extremely well done - scrolling down and you get a little bio of the seniors and pictures popping up - links with coaches interviews - not overblown - really well done IMO
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Still no official roster for the spring but I count 54 helmets in this photo. Might be more than that if there are others out of frame: https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 1904620549

Chauvette's brother is ranked #17 in the class of 2023 by IL: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ings/58405
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:43 pm Still no official roster for the spring but I count 54 helmets in this photo. Might be more than that if there are others out of frame: https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 1904620549

Chauvette's brother is ranked #17 in the class of 2023 by IL: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ings/58405
Do the Blue Jays really need more than 12 players?

https://engineering.jhu.edu/magazine/20 ... TE2liVHbDs

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:41 pm Do the Blue Jays really need more than 12 players?
Thanks for hanging slider - they certainly don't need 54-60
Twitter picture looks like the line never ends
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:49 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:13 am
Henpecked wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:56 am I love when former Hopkins players make fun of schools like Ohio State and Maryland. I am sure that things have changed at Hopkins over the years, but I personally know some beauties from the 80's and 90's that were accepted because of lacrosse after ranking near the very bottom of their HS class (one with a sub 1000 SAT). And by some miracle they graduated with an actual degree from Johns Hopkins.

Not sure what classes they took? But they couldn't have been very challenging.

For the record, they all turned into productive members of society, held jobs, and had lovely families.
lol, jhu06 did not play lacrosse at Hopkins.

I'm sure things used to be much easier for lax players academically at Hopkins, but it still isn't anything that the majority of guys on the team can't handle. The team GPA last year was 3.6, which is good anywhere but at Hopkins is especially impressive because of grade deflation. Another reason why Daniels wanting to axe lacrosse is totally preposterous—these kids for the most part are solid students and virtually all of them graduate.
06 isn't a former player???

Yikes, I'd been assuming he was, and in my mind, deserving of a bit of slack for being so sharply critical.

Are you sure about that GPA? I think it was more likely 2.6, not 3.6.

I think only 10 players in 2020 were named as having 3.0 or better on the men's team (women had 28): https://hopkinssports.com/news/2020/6/1 ... -team.aspx

3.0 at Hopkins is actually darn good these days.

EDIT: they had a program best of 20 above 3.0 in 2021: https://hopkinssports.com/news/2021/6/3 ... -team.aspx

Still, I don't see how the math would work to get to a 3.6, given almost twice as many under 3.0 as over.
Oh no and that’s what makes the comments about how the lacrosse team is like the help who is there to entertain the real students so absurd.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:32 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:13 am I'm sure things used to be much easier for lax players academically at Hopkins,
I actually might take the other side of this position - of course ignorance being bliss I have no idea the content or the difficulty of the courses being offered at JHU today. BUT - in my lizard brain I imagine a place where there might be a greater variety of courses and a greater awareness of what the undergraduate might need in terms of instruction. Back on my lawn - there were very few places to hide and find gut courses and many of the professors had no idea how to teach - and likely had only a small bit of concern for it - research was king even back then. There were two famous courses that most/all the lacrosse players took - hell everybody tried to take them because you needed some guaranteed high grades - there was a meterology/weather course (which actually was quite impossible except for the fact that the professor made a point of disappearing for the entirety of any exam so anything went) AND the infamous Sex&Money course taught by the famous and controversial John Money. But many lacrosse players had to suffer through things like freshmen chemistry taught by 'ol Dean Robinson which was quite possibly the most incomprehensible thing I have ever experienced. I can still remember walking out of the freshmen Chem final with Gil Cruz and we both thought we were never going to be allowed back.
jhu06 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:26 pm bc and northwestern aside from bc mens hockey have not been major athletics players. Florida probably thinks it's spelled la crosse with a space and james madison isn't an athletic powerhouse. If maryland and all those schools can build decent womens teams there's no excuse for hop not to.

Speaking of ign....never mind but here's a clue '06 - athletic prowess in other sports does not determine whether you can attract great female lacrosse players - it doesn't determine it for male lacrosse players either or Hopkins would never have been successful.

Alot of it has to do with comfort in your surroundings. Hopkins is not exactly famous for its legacy with females having only started to allow them about 50 years ago and just until very recently the school was always a higher percentage of males. Unlike the men's team - there is no notable historical legacy of women's lacrosse so the program was starting out from scratch just like all the others. When I was at Hopkins they used to make the women play in a cow pasture over by Garland Hall. Then there is the very uncomfotable topic of diversity. To its credit Hopkins is one of the most diverse universities in the country - latest stats apparently show the non white/white breakout in undergraduates to be essentially 60/40. That's not exactly the make-up of a women's lacrosse team - I counted 42 players on the JHU women's team - you have 4 non white players? Compare that to JMU for example, where the non white/white breakdown of over 20,000 people is 25/75 and the women's lacrosse team appears to be 0/100. Don't sneer at JMU - it has alot of wealth - basically you drop two of the richest counties in the country - Fairfax and Loudoun - and tons of those kids are from there. I don't know what today's version of North Face jackets and Ugg boots is - but I can assure you - everyone at JMU has it. Their football team - while admittedly in the lower division - has won 2 national titles in recent past and if you have not been you would be shocked - shocked - at the attendance and passion over those games. Their stadium now seats 25,000 people and every home game is packed with folks making the 2 hour drive or less from NOVA and there are parking lots packed with the purple and gold pinwheel tents. I had no kid attend JMU BTW - just know a bunch of people that went there.

And your academic snobbery is just tiresome.

Anyway - it will be interesting to see what PM and crew pull out of this '23 class and where they come from. Supposedly the class is rich in goalie prospects but Lawas already reclassified to '23. He's so tiny though.
I’m a pro at rte 81 and my mother had a timeshare near Harrisonburg Va so familiar w JMU campus and area. I always presumed it was for kids who didn’t get into W&L, UVA or W&M
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

You can't be serious. 06? Has anyone read any of his posts? Feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:49 amAre you sure about that GPA? I think it was more likely 2.6, not 3.6.

In case you missed it, a school-record 20 Blue Jays earned Academic All-Big Ten honors in the spring and 11 were named Big Ten Distinguished Scholars.

Johns Hopkins posted a combined team GPA of 3.58 in the spring with five players posting a perfect 4.0 GPA for the semester.
Don't know what the full year team GPA was but the point is these kids are doing just fine.
06 keeps trashing the women's team, most recently saying that they never contributed to any of the classes he attended in his 4 years there, implying that they are just a bunch of dumb kids and don't belong at JHU academically. This is getting old. In the most recent semester, they posted a 3.71 average GPA and had 6 players with a perfect 4.0 GPA. They also have 9 players who have a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or greater.
What he’s saying is it doesn’t contribute to his sense of identity which is clearly wrapped up in his college extending to all aspects including ones with no personal stake.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:27 pm

Just to be clear, we're not the same poster.

I dunno how much 06 has trashed the women's team, but definitely agree that they've been considerably higher academic performing than the men's team, year in and year out. Perhaps not quite as much as many of the DIII programs, but definitely higher. And not for nuthin', but a pretty darn attractive bunch of gals. Way better "diversity" quotient too. https://hopkinssports.com/sports/womens-lacrosse/roster

I agree with the other comments that Tucker was a keeper, very unlikely for her players to be an embarrassment to the school off the field, solid program, class act...much more likely that she simply wants to do other things...being a head coach is a grind, maybe 'she's been there, done that' and wants a different lifestyle?
5, 9, 27, 34, 45 (& maybe 55)

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”