Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by HopFan16 »

Anyone know what this is about? I assume it's just to mark the start of fall practice but it also sorta seems like it might be teasing some kind of announcement or reveal:

https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 6323620864
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:08 pm Anyone know what this is about? I assume it's just to mark the start of fall practice but it also sorta seems like it might be teasing some kind of announcement or reveal:

They're starting fall practice and I'm glad you've come around to my idea that it's ok for the university to create content regarding the program beyond a couple of offseason newsletters like its 1994 or something. It's a modern era and we need to recruit kids w/more than our us news rankings and some highlights from the flip phone and vhs eras.

To the nation Notre Dame hasn't been Notre Dame since Ron Powlus failed to live up to Beano Cook's heisman predictions. They are recruiting and they're losing and they're now behind the sec, clemson and ohio state just to name a few.

bc and northwestern aside from bc mens hockey have not been major athletics players. Florida probably thinks it's spelled la crosse with a space and james madison isn't an athletic powerhouse. If maryland and all those schools can build decent womens teams there's no excuse for hop not to.

After all his issues w/Daniels on the way out going to be fascinating to see what Petro does w/cuse this year where presumably they don't have the same academics issues some of you have hinted at and where their administration seemed to really roll out and orange and blue carpet for the new staff.

The lacrosse credentials of our incoming guys are always interesting to compare to some of our lesser blue blood rivals. our guys are usually all state/state champion/us lacrosse all american/captain etc and some of theirs are all county/2 year varsity etc. Petros rosters also usually had 2-5 kids whose fathers or parents had been athletes at Hopkins and curious if PM continues that although he clearly doesn't have the alumni connections Petro did.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:08 pm Anyone know what this is about? I assume it's just to mark the start of fall practice but it also sorta seems like it might be teasing some kind of announcement or reveal:

Pretty sure it’s the announcement of the first day of practice
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

It's the first day of contacting 2023 recruits on 9/1. Has nothing to do with fall practice
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

...glad we could clear that up.

DeSo walking out onto Homewood with a bucket of balls to me signifies the start of practice, but I realize 9/1 is also the date of first recruiting contact. The only reason I asked is because they snuck the "Shh" Emoji in there which sometimes hints at a secret or something like that.

And, yes, before anyone asks, I would rather decipher this single tweet than endure another second of the recruiting "discussion" again.

IL released its top 10 '23s—I don't see any obvious candidates for us except maybe their top ranked defenseman who is from the same area of Vancouver as Charboneau and Phillips. Mark Millon's kid is predictably #1.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ings/58396
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Darren Rovell @darrenrovell
This Day In 1998: SI tabs Ohio St as the best college football team — as long as star LB Andy Katzenmoyer, who is taking summer classes to raise his GPA to a 2.0, is eligible. He does it. The courses he takes: Golf 1 Music 140 AIDS: What Every College Student Should Know

can see why top recruits don't want to go to Hopkins when they can go to a maryland or ohio state and take that and graduate.

Recruiting was really Petro's memorial day weekend in the second half of his tenure at Hopkins where we would be treated to IL lists of 5-7 top 100 guys including a few top 11 recruits every year. We'll have to see what PM does.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

I love when former Hopkins players make fun of schools like Ohio State and Maryland. I am sure that things have changed at Hopkins over the years, but I personally know some beauties from the 80's and 90's that were accepted because of lacrosse after ranking near the very bottom of their HS class (one with a sub 1000 SAT). And by some miracle they graduated with an actual degree from Johns Hopkins.

Not sure what classes they took? But they couldn't have been very challenging.

For the record, they all turned into productive members of society, held jobs, and had lovely families.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Henpecked wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:56 am I love when former Hopkins players make fun of schools like Ohio State and Maryland. I am sure that things have changed at Hopkins over the years, but I personally know some beauties from the 80's and 90's that were accepted because of lacrosse after ranking near the very bottom of their HS class (one with a sub 1000 SAT). And by some miracle they graduated with an actual degree from Johns Hopkins.

For the record, they all turned into productive members of society, held jobs, and had lovely families.
lol, jhu06 did not play lacrosse at Hopkins.

I'm sure things used to be much easier for lax players academically at Hopkins, but it still isn't anything that the majority of guys on the team can't handle. The team GPA last year was 3.6, which is good anywhere but at Hopkins is especially impressive because of grade deflation. Another reason why Daniels wanting to axe lacrosse is totally preposterous—these kids for the most part are solid students and virtually all of them graduate.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:13 am
Henpecked wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:56 am I love when former Hopkins players make fun of schools like Ohio State and Maryland. I am sure that things have changed at Hopkins over the years, but I personally know some beauties from the 80's and 90's that were accepted because of lacrosse after ranking near the very bottom of their HS class (one with a sub 1000 SAT). And by some miracle they graduated with an actual degree from Johns Hopkins.

I'm sure things used to be much easier for lax players academically at Hopkins, but it still isn't anything that the majority of guys on the team can't handle. The team GPA last year was 3.6, which is good anywhere but at Hopkins is especially impressive because of grade deflation. Another reason why Daniels wanting to axe lacrosse is totally preposterous—these kids for the most part are solid students and virtually all of them graduate.
Agreed. The Daniels conversation is bordering on insane. You wouldn't hire Milliman and Company if you were sandbagging the program.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:13 am

06 isn't a former player???

Yikes, I'd been assuming he was, and in my mind, deserving of a bit of slack for being so sharply critical.

Are you sure about that GPA? I think it was more likely 2.6, not 3.6.

I think only 10 players in 2020 were named as having 3.0 or better on the men's team (women had 28): https://hopkinssports.com/news/2020/6/1 ... -team.aspx

3.0 at Hopkins is actually darn good these days.

EDIT: they had a program best of 20 above 3.0 in 2021: https://hopkinssports.com/news/2021/6/3 ... -team.aspx

Still, I don't see how the math would work to get to a 3.6, given almost twice as many under 3.0 as over.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:49 am 06 isn't a former player???

Yikes, I'd been assuming he was, and in my mind, deserving of a bit of slack for being so sharply critical.
You can't be serious. 06? Has anyone read any of his posts? Feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:49 amAre you sure about that GPA? I think it was more likely 2.6, not 3.6.
Yes, for the spring at least:

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2021/7/2 ... ebook.aspx
It's All Academic – Part I
In case you missed it, a school-record 20 Blue Jays earned Academic All-Big Ten honors in the spring and 11 were named Big Ten Distinguished Scholars.

It's All Academic – Part II
Johns Hopkins posted a combined team GPA of 3.58 in the spring with five players posting a perfect 4.0 GPA for the semester.
Don't know what the full year team GPA was but the point is these kids are doing just fine.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:54 am

You can't be serious. 06? Has anyone read any of his posts? Feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:49 amAre you sure about that GPA? I think it was more likely 2.6, not 3.6.

In case you missed it, a school-record 20 Blue Jays earned Academic All-Big Ten honors in the spring and 11 were named Big Ten Distinguished Scholars.

Johns Hopkins posted a combined team GPA of 3.58 in the spring with five players posting a perfect 4.0 GPA for the semester.
Don't know what the full year team GPA was but the point is these kids are doing just fine.
That's a terrific spring...but definitely not typical. See my Edit above.
Agreed as to "fine"...again, a 3.0 is very solid at Hopkins these days.

yes, I've read many of 06's posts, had always assumed he had played at Hop back in that era...have agreed with some of his thoughts, not agreed with most. Cut him some slack as a former player, though.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Hence one part of the story of the current condition.
Last edited by OCanada on Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Understand FLA. it was always going to be a purge. First the AD; next the Men HC, next the Women’s HC. Petro’a job was made more difficult compared to all previid presidents in the post WW ll.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Hmmm. My comment on fin aid had nothing to do with aid to players at all. It had to do with the increase expected in undergrad performance because the uni no longer had to accept less qualified students who could pay full freight as opposed to a more qualified candidate who couldn’t snd for whom there wasn’t aid money available.

The crap that shows up

As an aside nothing like defining away a problem manifesting itself by claiming it doesn’t matter to them. Sophistry

Folks could compare lax under the current president with all presidents in the post WW ll era. Stands out like a sore thumb
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:13 am I'm sure things used to be much easier for lax players academically at Hopkins,
I actually might take the other side of this position - of course ignorance being bliss I have no idea the content or the difficulty of the courses being offered at JHU today. BUT - in my lizard brain I imagine a place where there might be a greater variety of courses and a greater awareness of what the undergraduate might need in terms of instruction. Back on my lawn - there were very few places to hide and find gut courses and many of the professors had no idea how to teach - and likely had only a small bit of concern for it - research was king even back then. There were two famous courses that most/all the lacrosse players took - hell everybody tried to take them because you needed some guaranteed high grades - there was a meterology/weather course (which actually was quite impossible except for the fact that the professor made a point of disappearing for the entirety of any exam so anything went) AND the infamous Sex&Money course taught by the famous and controversial John Money. But many lacrosse players had to suffer through things like freshmen chemistry taught by 'ol Dean Robinson which was quite possibly the most incomprehensible thing I have ever experienced. I can still remember walking out of the freshmen Chem final with Gil Cruz and we both thought we were never going to be allowed back.
jhu06 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:26 pm bc and northwestern aside from bc mens hockey have not been major athletics players. Florida probably thinks it's spelled la crosse with a space and james madison isn't an athletic powerhouse. If maryland and all those schools can build decent womens teams there's no excuse for hop not to.

Speaking of ign....never mind but here's a clue '06 - athletic prowess in other sports does not determine whether you can attract great female lacrosse players - it doesn't determine it for male lacrosse players either or Hopkins would never have been successful.

Alot of it has to do with comfort in your surroundings. Hopkins is not exactly famous for its legacy with females having only started to allow them about 50 years ago and just until very recently the school was always a higher percentage of males. Unlike the men's team - there is no notable historical legacy of women's lacrosse so the program was starting out from scratch just like all the others. When I was at Hopkins they used to make the women play in a cow pasture over by Garland Hall. Then there is the very uncomfotable topic of diversity. To its credit Hopkins is one of the most diverse universities in the country - latest stats apparently show the non white/white breakout in undergraduates to be essentially 60/40. That's not exactly the make-up of a women's lacrosse team - I counted 42 players on the JHU women's team - you have 4 non white players? Compare that to JMU for example, where the non white/white breakdown of over 20,000 people is 25/75 and the women's lacrosse team appears to be 0/100. Don't sneer at JMU - it has alot of wealth - basically you drop two of the richest counties in the country - Fairfax and Loudoun - and tons of those kids are from there. I don't know what today's version of North Face jackets and Ugg boots is - but I can assure you - everyone at JMU has it. Their football team - while admittedly in the lower division - has won 2 national titles in recent past and if you have not been you would be shocked - shocked - at the attendance and passion over those games. Their stadium now seats 25,000 people and every home game is packed with folks making the 2 hour drive or less from NOVA and there are parking lots packed with the purple and gold pinwheel tents. I had no kid attend JMU BTW - just know a bunch of people that went there.

And your academic snobbery is just tiresome.

Anyway - it will be interesting to see what PM and crew pull out of this '23 class and where they come from. Supposedly the class is rich in goalie prospects but Lawas already reclassified to '23. He's so tiny though.
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:49 am
3.0 at Hopkins is actually darn good these days.

EDIT: they had a program best of 20 above 3.0 in 2021: https://hopkinssports.com/news/2021/6/3 ... -team.aspx

Still, I don't see how the math would work to get to a 3.6, given almost twice as many under 3.0 as over.
I was wondering why none of the Freshman found their way into this group... so found an interesting tid-bit on Big Ten All Academic Team requirements:

From bigten.org
To be eligible for Academic All-Big Ten selection, students must be on a varsity team (verified by being on the official squad list as of May 1 for spring sports), have been enrolled full time at the institution for a minimum of 12 months and carry a cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 or higher.

So no Freshman (or transfers) would be eligible last school year, but their GPA would still contribute to the overall Team GPA.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

OCanada wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:10 am First the AD; next the Men HC, next the Women’s HC.
OK- someone please lay it out for me and put maybe one or two facts behind it. Why - to quote Nicholas Cage in The Rock - in the name of Zeus' butthole - would you want to get rid of Janine Tucker?
1. The number one strength of your program - why do any good female lacrosse players come to Hopkins? Janine Tucker
2. She's no threat to your administration - she's basically another Bob Scott - one of the classiest people in sports
3. While she is probably paid pretty well relative to female lacrosse coaches given her tenure as well - she can't be breaking the bank
4. She went out of her way to make it clear it was her decision - while Petro let the Press release say something like "mutual agreement" - he was clearly trying to save his job with his twitter posts before being let go and he never contradicted any public lashing of the Hopkins admin by others
5. If you buy the laissez faire at best 'tude by the admin for lacrosse - she's no threat to win a title not does it appear she was under pressure to do so - she can't compete recruiting against UNC/MD/BC/Northwestern/ etc. no matter what '06 thinks

If I am Baker I want her around for as long as JT will stay.
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I never played lacrosse at Hopkins-not even the club team, never intimated that and am not even on the email list you guys get. the lacrosse playground rankings hf16 found were something I don't know but they said they talked to 100 coaches etc which is a lot of work and I have to respect that. W/PM's recruiting classes I'm going to be thinking about loyola-a program whose classes are never beloved by xanders, under armour game evaluators etc but who tend to end their careers playing a lot of may lacrosse.

The recruit from harlem lacrosse is a great story as is the canadian influx and I'm sure there are others. Maybe quint, carc, anish, and that kid from connecticut who didn't know there was an s on johns can find the time to add some new material to the broadcasts next spring now that the stanwicks are long gone and they can't reminisce on petro.
mdlaxfan

Post by mdlaxfan »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:54 am

06 keeps trashing the women's team, most recently saying that they never contributed to any of the classes he attended in his 4 years there, implying that they are just a bunch of dumb kids and don't belong at JHU academically. This is getting old. In the most recent semester, they posted a 3.71 average GPA and had 6 players with a perfect 4.0 GPA. They also have 9 players who have a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or greater.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”