Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... sses/58376

quite a lot of faces rutgers added. not interested in rebuilding.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

This kid is completely flying under the radar but I have a feeling he may find his way onto the field. Junior's first Canadian attack recruit. Led Western Canada's top box league in playoff points en route to a championship this summer. Plays field in Virginia for Dom Starsia. Looks like he's comfortable behind the cage/around GLE, on the wing, and up top. Good size at 6'2'' and appears to be rather athletic with some pep in his step. Color me intrigued:

DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:52 pm This kid is completely flying under the radar but I have a feeling he may find his way onto the field. Junior's first Canadian attack recruit. Led Western Canada's top box league in playoff points en route to a championship this summer. Plays field in Virginia for Dom Starsia. Looks like he's comfortable behind the cage/around GLE, on the wing, and up top. Good size at 6'2'' and appears to be rather athletic with some pep in his step. Color me intrigued:

Not flying under my radar.

Seems like a fine young man. Looking forward to following his contributions to the program over the next few years.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:52 pm This kid is completely flying under the radar but I have a feeling he may find his way onto the field. Junior's first Canadian attack recruit. Led Western Canada's top box league in playoff points en route to a championship this summer. Plays field in Virginia for Dom Starsia. Looks like he's comfortable behind the cage/around GLE, on the wing, and up top. Good size at 6'2'' and appears to be rather athletic with some pep in his step. Color me intrigued:

Pretty sure he was committed to Cornell with PM before he left for Homewood
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Under the Universities new diversity inclusion and equity protocols what is the necessary number of canadians involved w/the team to trigger the playing of the Canadian national anthem before games and a canadian flag hung at homewood field?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:45 am Under the Universities new diversity inclusion and equity protocols what is the necessary number of canadians involved w/the team to trigger the playing of the Canadian national anthem before games and a canadian flag hung at homewood field?
Look, we know that you oppose diversity, inclusion, and equality, but can you please leave the Canadians out of this?

DocBarrister :roll:
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Two canadian prime ministers have spoken at commencement. Fair point, especially on the flag and would be good for recruiting there.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:05 am
jhu06 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:45 am Under the Universities new diversity inclusion and equity protocols what is the necessary number of canadians involved w/the team to trigger the playing of the Canadian national anthem before games and a canadian flag hung at homewood field?
Look, we know that you oppose diversity, inclusion, and equality, but can you please leave the Canadians out of this?

Because, based on the Orwellian definition of diversity, most Canadians do not apply.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

I believe they fly the flag and play the Canadian anthem at Cornell before games. So probably not out of the realm of possibilities.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

We've had the Canadian flag on the back of helmets for several years now. May have started doing that after Dave Huntley passed.

Daniels certainly wouldn't be against a bigger Canadian presence on gamedays.

Maybe they'll put a poutine food truck on the west end of the stadium next to the Kooper's burger truck or whatever they've got going on there now. Haven't been since 2019 obviously.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Forgot about the helmet sticker. Probably enough.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

- Tucker retiring at the end of the 2022 season https://hopkinssports.com/news/2021/8/2 ... eason.aspx

Probably one of the nicest ladies I've ever met. Her players universally love her. I think she'd do pretty well in the booth calling games for ESPN

- Shilling transferred to Towson where is dad is the volunteer assistant. Adds another layer of intrigue for the opener. Not sure if he'll start for them.

- The team is doing the freshman social media intros which remain the best I've seen in the sport. They've gotten some props on Twitter/Instagram including from a Yale lacrosse alum who works at Bleacher Report

- Hakim Hicks' story of going from Harlem to Homewood is really something and I'll be rooting hard for that kid

- Sept. 1 is approaching, I think we'll end up doing similarly to the '22 class: Handful of 4-stars from the hotbeds, handful of guys nobody has heard of that PM found at a pickup game in Alberta or something. Word is that the '23s are not the believed to be the strongest class of recruits ever
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

44WeWantMore wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:15 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:05 am

Because, based on the Orwellian definition of diversity, most Canadians do not apply.
Hey, f**k you buddy! Eh!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kYB6ZSwdrvM
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

EMO which was a real strength several years ago has sort of been up and down in terms of opportunities and production. 65 percent, 38 percent, 42 percent where it was last year. Shilling got a lot of run and wasn't terribly productive. it's one of the areas you'd think w/more practice and chemistry we'll see improvement.

tucker's press release sort of reads like the desko and petro exit language. "The ad guided me through a thought process". She didn't really have a lot of postseason success.

xanders puts a lot of work into that recruiting issue which is really one of IL's biggest and definitive issues. I know he reads this because I get nasty dms from him from time to time which is fair so hopefully he'll come into the forum and expound on his Hopkins rankings and promote the issue when it comes out.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:27 am EMO which was a real strength several years ago has sort of been up and down in terms of opportunities and production. 65 percent, 38 percent, 42 percent where it was last year. Shilling got a lot of run and wasn't terribly productive. it's one of the areas you'd think w/more practice and chemistry we'll see improvement.

tucker's press release sort of reads like the desko and petro exit language. "The ad guided me through a thought process". She didn't really have a lot of postseason success.
No question she was pushed. Some may say nudged it’s either way she didn’t come to this decision without the AD spelling it out for her.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

You certainly can tell we are in a VERY slow period when the Rutgers and Jared Bernhardt threads have had the most recent posts and multiple ones from their small groups of rabid fans trying to keep those threads alive..........
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

blue angels wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:32 pm You certainly can tell we are in a VERY slow period when the Rutgers and Jared Bernhardt threads have had the most recent posts and multiple ones from their small groups of rabid fans trying to keep those threads alive..........
Hey! I represent that!
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:27 am tucker's press release sort of reads like the desko and petro exit language. "The ad guided me through a thought process". She didn't really have a lot of postseason success.
OK - accuracy counts - the real quote is "When I initially discussed this possibility with her she was very supportive of my thought process and encouraged me to take as much time as I needed to work through this decision." That's WAY different than the AD "guided" the thought process which implies that it was the Hopkins administration's idea.
flalax22 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:28 am No question she was pushed. Some may say nudged it’s either way she didn’t come to this decision without the AD spelling it out for her.

Why is this necessarily the case? I have absolutely no idea what happened but why can't a coach that has been doing something for 29 years decide that it's time to do something else? I have met Janine several times - she's a better person than coach and she's a helluva coach. But if you accept the narrative that the admin from Daniels on down is lackadasical about lacrosse at best and secretly would like to see it diminished at worst - why do you push out Tucker? She's absolutely beloved by her players - by her peers etc. etc. and given the fact that Hopkins is in the same conference as Maryland and Northwestern she's under no pressure - except apparently from '06 - to win championships. So aside from the fact that as far as women lacrosse coaches go - Janine is probably on the higher end of the pay spectrum - why wouldn't you keep her around as long as she wanted to stay?

Again, I have no idea but maybe just maybe sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
jhu06 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:27 am EMO which was a real strength several years ago has sort of been up and down in terms of opportunities and production. 65 percent, 38 percent, 42 percent where it was last year. Shilling got a lot of run and wasn't terribly productive. it's one of the areas you'd think w/more practice and chemistry we'll see improvement.
These numbers are a little off BTW
Hopkins EMO last 5 seasons
2021 - 43%
2020 - 38%
2019 - 46% (26 for 55)
2018 - 36% - oddly enough the most successful team of the past 5
2017 - 61%

The 2017 team had Fraser and Marr and Crawley - 3 very reasonable outside threats - high IQ player in Stanwick to get them the ball and a crafty inside finisher in Dismuke who had 5 EMO goals that year - otherwise I think again - the 43% last year was not bad considering the circumstances.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

EMO was tied for 12th in the country last year. And that was with Peshko not really playing there until late in the year. Entire EMO unit returns in 2022.

The admin pushing out Tucker makes absolutely no sense if you think about it for even five seconds. She wanted to retire. In fact if you read between the lines—"help us craft a vision for the future of the program she built," " look forward to being a part of the exciting next chapter in the history of this program," "my association with and support of Johns Hopkins women's lacrosse is not ending"—it sure sounds like she's going to be involved in choosing a successor. The language of this press release is VERY different from Petro's.

There was also a story in the Sun about it which leaves little doubt that this decision was Tucker's and Tucker's alone: https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/col ... story.html
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:28 am

No question she was pushed. Some may say nudged it’s either way she didn’t come to this decision without the AD spelling it out for her.
This is an absurd take. In no way, shape or form was she pushed out.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”