Taliban reclaims Afghanistan

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Taliban reclaims Afghanistan

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Kikin wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:25 pm Wow, sure pal. Sure, this man threw away his 17 year military career because he doesn't like Biden, you know, "for all you know." Well, I am concluding a great deal about "what you know." You are entrenched in a political ideology and refuse to accept what has actually happened because, oh my goodness it might be true and your guy might be exposed for what he is. Pretty dangerous stuff. We are doomed if this is the trajectory of our country.
We were getting out. Wish it were cleaner. My guy? I don’t have politicians as my guys or political parties as my teams. Biden could have pulled out of the agreement. Would not be the first time America has broken a treaty or agreement.
“I wish you would!”
DocBarrister

Report: ISIS-K “Planner” Killed in Drone Strike

Post by DocBarrister »

MSNBC reporting that the United States killed a high-ranking ISIS-K “Planner” with a drone strike.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Drone Strike Against ISIS

Post by DocBarrister »

“U.S. military forces conducted an over-the-horizon counterterrorism operation today against an ISIS-K planner,” Capt. Bill Urban, spokesman for the U.S. Central Command, said in a statement, referring to the Islamic State affiliate in Afghanistan, also known as Islamic State Khorasan, which has claimed responsibility for the Thursday attack.

“The unmanned airstrike occurred in the Nangahar province of Afghanistan,” Captain Urban said. “Initial indications are that we killed the target. We know of no civilian casualties.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... e.amp.html

DocBarrister :shock:
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Kikin wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:05 pm Are we really citing CNN and NY Times? If the situation was not so terribly sad I would be rolling in laughter. Here is what you should know, whatever those two pieces of "media". ( propaganda arms of the liberal left) tell you, know that that the EXACT opposite is true..This has become a ridiculous conversation.

Here is a little piece of truth for you. BTW, this patriot was immediately relieved of his duty for saying the truth. (Even though he was far from political or full of vitriol). He calmly asks for accountability.

https://www.facebook.com/Americanvoices ... 1864445432
So, you’re disparaging CNN and the New York Times, and instead turning to Facebook for your information?

:?

Just perchance, have you been ingesting/injecting any horse or cattle medications recently?

Swallowing or injecting bleach?

Just curious ….

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
old salt

Post by old salt »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:32 pmHow about Trump’s ordering of 300 U.S. Marines to Helmand Province in 2017 to provide “emotional support” to the Afghan Security Forces there?
Embedded advise & assist mission.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/y ... -province/
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

old salt wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:50 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:32 pmHow about Trump’s ordering of 300 U.S. Marines to Helmand Province in 2017 to provide “emotional support” to the Afghan Security Forces there?

In other words, U.S. troops on the ground.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
old salt

Post by old salt »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:55 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:50 pm

In other words, U.S. troops on the ground.

DocBarrister
They were advisers. The ASF they were teamed with did the fighting. Remember the article posted about the Marine Captain who drank hot goat milk tea in 100 degree weather with a tribal elder. Armed community outreach.

Note Pres Obama's working definition of combat operations. That's good enough for me.

https://www.npr.org/2016/07/06/48497929 ... nder-obama
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:41 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:13 pm
youthathletics wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:05 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:04 am
get it to X, well, first f-you and your mother...
:lol: :oops: :oops: Good Lord......that is beyond uncalled for. You need a whistle in the sin bin pronto.

#QFP
go ahead and report me; I stand by my response and will take my punishment for my turn of phrase, if deserved.

I'm tired of people telling me I'm an FLP, or lib, or RINO, or as in this case to stop calling myself a Republican.
Where do folks get off?
Now this post is a hoot! :lol:

Anyone call you a Trumpist yet?
Nope...not likely.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Kikin wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:14 pm NO! You are purposely being obtuse. This has NOTHING to do with chain of command. Did you spend 5 minutes to watch it until the end? This man threw away a 17 year career to ask for his leaders to acknowledge they messed this up. He is calling out his leaders for not accepting accountability for this disastrous retreat.
Actually, it absolutely does have all to do with chain of command...he's very likely to face court martial, not for his particular opinion, but because of his method of communicating those views. And that could well be a punishment more than losing his career or rank.

Place and time.
If he wants to resign and leave the military, fine...say what you want about why you resigned. Ex-military have been publicly taking their former commanders to task for a long time...after they leave. Think John Kerry for one particularly famous example.

But not while in uniform, while still serving. Period.

Not for nothing, but I had a conversation with a Navy pilot (F-16) who came back 4 weeks ago from Bagram, he'd been flying air cover for ASF forces...not the same perspective nor style of communicating. Interesting conversation though...he was emphatic that "no one thought the Taliban would take over that swiftly"; lots of other interesting thoughts. Smart young man.

One of these sorts of guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IGWdDRYQzE
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:46 pm
Kikin wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:14 pm NO! You are purposely being obtuse. This has NOTHING to do with chain of command. Did you spend 5 minutes to watch it until the end? This man threw away a 17 year career to ask for his leaders to acknowledge they messed this up. He is calling out his leaders for not accepting accountability for this disastrous retreat.
Actually, it absolutely does have all to do with chain of command...he's very likely to face court martial, not for his particular opinion, but because of his method of communicating those views. And that could well be a punishment more than losing his career or rank.

Place and time.
If he wants to resign and leave the military, fine...say what you want about why you resigned. Ex-military have been publicly taking their former commanders to task for a long time...after they leave. Think John Kerry for one particularly famous example.

Not for nothing, but I had a conversation with a Navy pilot (F-16) who came back 4 weeks ago from Bagram, he'd been flying air cover for ASF forces...not the same perspective nor style of communicating. Interesting conversation though...he was emphatic that "no one thought the Taliban would take over that swiftly"; lots of other interesting thoughts. Smart young man.

I would not bet on that Marine officer facing court martial, unless he requests it, in lieu of NJP, if he even gets that.
Maybe a letter of reprimand which would prevent him from being selected for further promotion.

You either talked to a Navy pilot or a F-16 pilot, but likely not both, if he'd flown from Bagram.
A F-16 pilot at Bagram would be an Air Force pilot. A Marine F-18 pilot maybe, they wear Navy wings.
Navy & Marine F-18 pilots, from squadrons based in Japan, deployed aboard the USS Ronald Reagan, currently in the N Arabian Sea, are flying missions over Afghanistan.
I don't think we've based F-16's at Bagram for a long time.
F-16's deployed to our base in Qatar might currently be flying missions over Afghanistan.

Though posted in Feb 2020, that's an old video. Based on it's tail letters HL, the F-16 in that Bagram video was from the 388th Fighter Wing from Hill AFB, Utah. They transitioned to F-35's years ago.

Did he invite you to a game of liars dice, ...for money ?
old salt

Post by old salt »

Taliban fighters are serving as evacuee bus monitors & guarding HKIA's perimeter with us, & apparently sharing intell on ISIS-K.

Maybe our new Taliban BFF's will invite us back to Bagram to fly counter terrorist missions against their ISIS-K rivals.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:00 am

Place and time.

I would not bet on that Marine officer facing court martial, unless he requests it, in lieu of NJP, if he even gets that.
Maybe a letter of reprimand which would prevent him from being selected for further promotion.

You either talked to a Navy pilot or a F-16 pilot, but likely not both, if he'd flown from Bagram.
A F-16 pilot at Bagram would be an Air Force pilot. A Marine F-18 pilot maybe, they wear Navy wings.
Navy & Marine F-18 pilots, from squadrons based in Japan, deployed aboard the USS Ronald Reagan, currently in the N Arabian Sea, are flying missions over Afghanistan.
F-16's deployed to our base in Qatar might currently be flying missions over Afghanistan.

Though posted in Feb 2020, that's an old video. Based on it's tail letters HL, the F-16 in that Bagram video was from the 388th Fighter Wing from Hill AFB, Utah. They transitioned to F-35's years ago.

Navy F-16 was what I was told, though not directly by him, by my host; and of course I may have misheard the number (18?)... he didn't mention Bagram or what he was flying, others did.. he only said to me that he had gotten back 4 weeks ago, had been flying air cover for ASF forces, and he was stationed in Afghanistan...I assumed Bagram.

His wife is Navy cyber, she's an ex lax player at Naval Academy, darn good one. I know the family well.

They're both in Virginia Beach, though were up at Squam this past week with family.

I just googled F-16 and chose first one up, said Afghanistan.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:54 am

Place and time.

Navy F-16 was what I was told, though not directly by him, by my host... he didn't mention Bagram or what he was flying, others did.. he only said to me that he had gotten back 4 weeks ago, had been flying air cover for ASF forces, and he was stationed in Afghanistan...I assumed Bagram.

His wife is Navy cyber, she's an ex lax player at Naval Academy, darn good one. I know the family well.

They're both in Virginia Beach, though were up at Squam this past week with family.

That's interesting. I don't think we've had any TACAIR on the ground in Afghanistan since the A-10's departed.
Over Afghanistan, F-16's are flying from our big AF base in Qatar & Navy F-18's from the carrier off shore & Marine AV-8 Harriers from a LHD - USS Iwo Jima

He was probably a F-18 pilot, deployed aboard the Ike which just returned to Norfolk in mid-July.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:01 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:54 am

Place and time.

Navy F-16 was what I was told, though not directly by him, by my host... he didn't mention Bagram or what he was flying, others did.. he only said to me that he had gotten back 4 weeks ago, had been flying air cover for ASF forces, and he was stationed in Afghanistan...I assumed Bagram.

That's interesting. I don't think we've had any TACAIR on the ground in Afghanistan since the A-10's departed.
Over Afghanistan, F-16's are flying from our big AF base in Qatar & Navy F-18's from the carrier off shore & Marine AV-8 Harriers from a LHD - USS Iwo Jima.
I wasn't interrogating him, just talking to the husband of the young woman I know...and I sure thought I heard both her and him say he'd gotten back from Afghanistan as opposed to simply "over there", and specifically had been "flying air cover for those guys", ASF forces), the latter in context of our discussion about the withdrawal and the suddenness that the ASF had stood back.

My host had said F-16's... and back from Afghanistan as well. But you never know whether what you think you hear is really what was said, or just how it came through the interpretation filter.

So, absent any reason to probe more specifically, and not wanting really to know any sort of operational details that might be inappropriate, the conversation was more general. Impressive young man, wife's terrific. The kind of folks you'd want.

My son had been work out buddies with the young woman during HS, she was a year older, and her younger sister was a terrific player at Princeton, also work out buddy, their dad was four years ahead of me in HS, tremendous midfielder at Princeton. Bunch of jockstraps.
old salt

Post by old salt »

How long before ISIS-K takes hostage a stranded American who couldn't get out or wouldn't leave family behind ?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

This is off topic within the topic but I don't know where else to put it.

I'm watching the local news this morning:

"Asked how Biden planned to follow up on his vow for retribution for Thursday's attack. White House press secretary Psaki responded, 'I think he made clear yesterday that he does not want them to live on the earth anymore.'"

This answer irritates me--not the gist of it but the construct. "he does not want them to live on the earth anymore". What a pretentious, contrived, stupid f*cking way to say it. The late George Carlin often talked about the silly, puffed-up trend toward soft language in this country--like "toilet paper" becoming "bathroom tissue". Finding ways to get away from simple, honest, direct language because the elitist intelligentsia found a "better" or "more enlightened" way to communicate it. Some of the motivation behind this trend is to avoid offense. Another motivation is certainly intellectual arrogance. Still another might be akin to why websites and computer operating software are constantly being "upgraded" or "redesigned" when in reality there was nothing wrong with them, only that perhaps companies need to give their creative team something to do to justify a paycheck or marketing came out with a new analytical report showing how these demographics are more likely to do this or that based on this color or this wording--whatever. That's what this construct smacks of. "does not want them to live on the earth anymore". So what, he'll put them in holding until science proves life is viable on Mars and they can live there? What a ridiculous way to say, "he's going to have them killed" or even a more colorful way to say it like, "he's going to vanish them from the planet". Anyway--just some simple, honest, direct language on some wording that irritated me this morning. And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.
Kikin

Post by Kikin »

Disparaging CNN and the NY Times, well yes, I certainly am. No one watches CNN for real news, NO ONE. That's why the for all intents and purposes CNN has no audience. Cartoon network gets better ratings so I think consensus across the nation is in agreement with their utter lack of credibility. New York Times themselves acknowledges that they are a far left newspaper which does all of its "journalism" from a liberal left viewpoint. They are so far left they will not even allow dissenting ideas on their editorial page. They have had multiple staff members, who are left leaning themselves, quit because of bullying by the staff and its overseers to slant stories to fit their liberal ideology and obfuscate the truth.

As to me getting a video off of facebook, this is an unedited personal posting of a Lieutenant Colonel. It is not an article written by someone or information attributed to someone else or a publication. This is a direct posting of a 17 year veteran with 3 children and only 3 years to retirement who has now put his entire career on the line to tell the truth. Believe me, when it comes to second hand information or articles/postings on facebook, no one distrusts facebook "fact-checkers" more then me.

As to the snide remark about me "drinking bleach", nice touch. Except if you knew me you would know i am pretty darn moderate politically, right down the middle. I tend to look at issues rather then aligning with a specific side whether far left or far right. This issue for me is not about politics, but about what is right and wrong. About acknowledging mistakes and avoiding them for the future. About accountability and getting out those commanders who are responsible and getting in people going forward who can make better judgements. I am sadly surprised in finding people I held in some esteem who have no ability to analyze and see an issue for what it is without resorting to going to their political corners.
Last edited by Kikin on Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

tech37 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:31 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:20 pm
tech37 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:05 pm Just kidding a fan. Join the conversation! Just don't suck me into the vortex :D
Greatly appreciated, tech....but I'd much rather see you cats in person over a drink (as I did with both LaxFi and 2badknees all those years ago).

And no...no more vortexes! That much I promise you. Have a great weekend!

And since I'm here for just this moment-----sad to hear of the loss of life, including our young marines. Hoist one to them as well.
Not to get into it but... that's "vortices" a fan

Have a great weekend yourself
Excellent point. One L Hilary (one of LaxFi's more memorable aliases) would have been all over this bad usage by a fan. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Francesca Centimiglia (another identity) might have asked her father to put out a contract for grammatical/spelling issues or other mundane items of Etymology.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

tech37 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:32 pm
holy sh!t... thanks for posting C&S
I remember on this forum the officer who broke security protocol and leaked the contents of trump's conversation with Ukrainian leader.. he was hero if memory serves me correctly. Why is that? He followed his conscience. This marine did the same thing and gave up his career. What did he do wrong? He pointed out what was painfully obvious, his superiors screwed up this mission. What do I read from the usual suspects on this forum? He just hated Biden. :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Kismet wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:43 am
tech37 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:31 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:20 pm
tech37 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:05 pm Just kidding a fan. Join the conversation! Just don't suck me into the vortex :D
Greatly appreciated, tech....but I'd much rather see you cats in person over a drink (as I did with both LaxFi and 2badknees all those years ago).

And no...no more vortexes! That much I promise you. Have a great weekend!

And since I'm here for just this moment-----sad to hear of the loss of life, including our young marines. Hoist one to them as well.
Not to get into it but... that's "vortices" a fan

Have a great weekend yourself
Excellent point. One L Hilary (one of LaxFi's more memorable aliases) would have been all over this bad usage by a fan. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Francesca Centimiglia (another identity) might have asked her father to put out a contract for grammatical/spelling issues or other mundane items of Etymology.
Nah. Just friendly, ironic banter with a fan . Normally I wouldn't care...

Return to “POLITICS”