Jared Bernhardt

D1 Mens Lacrosse
stanley848

Re: Jared Bernhardt

Post by stanley848 »

jersey shore lax wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:46 pm Personally, I would rather have my child pursue their dream, particularly at 23 years old than take the easier path. Best of Luck Jared.
Agree 100%. This type of opportunity doesn’t come often, so why not try? You never know what will happen and better to act now than regret later. Best of luck to Jared.
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

pcowlax wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:07 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:53 pm
jersey shore lax wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:46 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:24 pm
keno in reno wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:58 pm
faircornell wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:12 pm Ferris State is a good D II football school. I wonder if he's trying to catch the eye of an NFL scout?
The answer is yes, and he already has. The best athlete in D1 lacrosse any year can compete with NFL players athletically. The next question is does that lacrosse player have the size, and the answer with Jared is yes (Sowers, Montgomery and Gray, though great lax athletes, cannot check that box unless they can play the tiny receiver/punt returner role).

So the next check is does he have a football skill....that is TBD. If he only wants to be a QB, that could be a huge leap. If he wants to play QB in D2 and transition to WR in the NFL, that is certainly possible. Even college QB to NFL safety is possible and Jared is certainly capable of that. Even a pro switch to running back is possible considering his elite athleticism. I wouldn't bet against him. There are a few recent running backs from Maryland (obviously a bad football team for the past 15 years) that are doing well in the NFL; Jared is at least as good athletically as them.
Unfortunately, elite football teams like Alabama, Ohio State, and Clemson probably have several dozen players on their rosters who match or surpass Bernhardt in raw athleticism.

Realistically, Bernhardt will be fortunate to be picked up as an undrafted free agent and then signed to the practice squad of an NFL team. If he does play professional football, it will likely be in the Canadian Football League or an indoor football league.

As both Tim Tebow and Johnny Manziel know all too well, even a Heisman Trophy doesn’t guarantee a spot on an NFL roster.

I wish Bernhardt the best, but his professional sports future is probably earning $30,000 a year (with benefits) in the PLL. The money isn’t good, but playing in the PLL is a privilege for former college lacrosse players. Frankly, I would rather see Bernhardt excel in the PLL than toil away on an NFL practice squad (which is the rosy professional football scenario).

DocBarrister
Personally, I would rather have my child pursue their dream, particularly at 23 years old than take the easier path. Best of Luck Jared

"Now those memories come back to haunt me
They haunt me like a curse
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true
Or is it something worse" - Bruce Springsteen - The River
Trust me … “something worse.”

DocBarrister ;)
Yes, and after trying to go through NFL pre-season camp, Jared would have to hide 'neath his covers and study his pain
Make crosses from his lovers, throw roses in the rain.
TY PC - this made me LOL
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Essexfenwick wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:51 am Just because he is the best athlete lacrosse has ever had since Jim Brown doesn’t get him in the NFL. He’s an option QB. His only shot would be receiver or CB at his size and he’s never played those positions.
Best athlete since Jim Brown!!! Jesus!!
“I wish you would!”
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:23 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:51 am Just because he is the best athlete lacrosse has ever had since Jim Brown doesn’t get him in the NFL. He’s an option QB. His only shot would be receiver or CB at his size and he’s never played those positions.
The poster was too young to see Gary Gait jump over the goal from behind and outside the crease to score………
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Gait couldn’t play option QB.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

blue angels wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:13 pm
Wheels wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:32 pm
blue angels wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:28 am
The push by some jock sniffer fans is laughable……The odds against Bernhardt making an NFL roster are so small, they aren’t even worth considering at this point.….It’s abundantly clear that Bernhardt would have to move to another skill position to have even a remote chance. If he viewed that as a realistic goal he should be training as a WR or DB now instead of an option QB. I suspect this move is more about a love for the game than any serious effort at the pros or he would be handling it differently. Bet he is coaching lacrosse somewhere like the rest of his kin when he runs out of eligibility.
Jared is a pretty grounded person, who also spent a significant amount of time around NFL teams. His family is similarly grounded. The guy loves football and it connects him to his dad, but Jared isn't a pie in the sky person.
Reread my post….. I am talking about some of your Maryland brethren fans making some absurd claims about him going to the NFL, not Bernhardt making them.
Reread my post. It's supporting yours.
Typical Lax Dad

Essexfenwick wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:37 pm Gait couldn’t play option QB.
You mean he “didn’t”..
“I wish you would!”
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Wheels wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:40 pm
blue angels wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:13 pm
Wheels wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:32 pm
blue angels wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:28 am
The push by some jock sniffer fans is laughable……The odds against Bernhardt making an NFL roster are so small, they aren’t even worth considering at this point.….It’s abundantly clear that Bernhardt would have to move to another skill position to have even a remote chance. If he viewed that as a realistic goal he should be training as a WR or DB now instead of an option QB. I suspect this move is more about a love for the game than any serious effort at the pros or he would be handling it differently. Bet he is coaching lacrosse somewhere like the rest of his kin when he runs out of eligibility.
Jared is a pretty grounded person, who also spent a significant amount of time around NFL teams. His family is similarly grounded. The guy loves football and it connects him to his dad, but Jared isn't a pie in the sky person.
Reread my post….. I am talking about some of your Maryland brethren fans making some absurd claims about him going to the NFL, not Bernhardt making them.
Reread my post. It's supporting yours.
fair enough......... glad we agree. Think it's time to let this subject die, but hoping Bernhardt has a fulfilling football career!!!
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Chris Hogan?
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I think college lacrosse only started with the formation of the Big Ten. Hopkins fans will offer their own juice about the history of 2-1 championship wins over YMCA clubs.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

The above looks like purposeful hype or satire really,

but if this opens up the best lacrosse athletes meme,
the Gaits in addition to Brown,
just off the top of my head.
Typical Lax Dad

10stone5 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:29 pm

Probably……A lot of great athletes. It’s kind of silly to call Jared the best athlete since Jim Brown. Jared reminds me of Danowski when he was at Duke. I know Jared personally, BTW. Love him. Is he as athletic as Kyle or Paul was in college? Here is a name for you… Jon Reese.
“I wish you would!”
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Brattons not un-athletic either.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:42 pm
10stone5 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:29 pm

Probably……A lot of great athletes. It’s kind of silly to call Jared the best athlete since Jim Brown. Jared reminds me of Danowski when he was at Duke. I know Jared personally, BTW. Love him. Is he as athletic as Kyle or Paul was in college? Here is a name for you… Jon Reese.
I was thinking Reese as well.
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

Chas Gessner....had a few cups of coffee in the NFL...FREAK
Typical Lax Dad

pcowlax wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:48 pm Brattons not un-athletic either.
Didn’t want the knives to come out. Kyle Dixon?
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Schrieber, who was also an option QB all day.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:56 pm
pcowlax wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:48 pm Brattons not un-athletic either.
Didn’t want the knives to come out. Kyle Dixon?
Knives reserved for references to Miles Jones and Will Yeatman.
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:59 pm Schrieber, who was also an option QB all day.
The funny thing about Tom is that he doesn’t look athletic when you see him until he starts running…he’s so fast. Ryan Conrad was quite the athlete. Good soccer player. UVA has had a ton.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:41 pm
youthathletics wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:59 pm Schrieber, who was also an option QB all day.
The funny thing about Tom is that he doesn’t look athletic when you see him until he starts running…he’s so fast. Ryan Conrad was quite the athlete. Good soccer player. UVA has had a ton.
I had heard Max Siebald was an incredible athlete with a rumored blues 40 time
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”