Taliban reclaims Afghanistan

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Taliban reclaims Afghanistan

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:26 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:13 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:11 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:11 pm Haven’t read where we thought the Afghan government would prevail
All you had to do was listen to Biden.
Wishful thinking; best I heard was that they might hold on for 12-18 months...at least a possibility and to say otherwise would have simply started the panic faster.
12-18 months would have been more than enough. This entire withdrawal strategy -- the order, time frame, base turnover & deadline, was predicated on the govt holding together & the ASF covering our retreat. We didn't even notify the ASF when we were vacating the bases. We did not factor in the possibility of the collapse of the govt & the ASF before we & our Afghan friends could get out. When it became obvious the govt would fall, we did not adjust,

We've outsourced our security to the Haqqani network & given them a kill list. Good God !
...& we're not out yet.
You should have re-enlisted. We could use a man like you…

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/4 ... line-looms
“I wish you would!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:35 pm

The Pentagon has confirmed that U.S. forces at Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul could destroy any weapons and other equipment that they cannot take with them as they withdraw at the end of the ongoing evacuation operations.

Sounds like sabotage and terrorism to me. After all, the puppet regime surrendered. Because of that it stands to reason that all that equipment belongs to the Taliban. The US forces have no right to destroy property that doesn't belong to them.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:05 pm
Gee … wonder what the Taliban would have done if President Biden had chosen not to leave?

DocBarrister

Dunno about the Taliban but am quite sure tRump would have said that Biden defaulted on the peace deal drawn by the Chosen thereby needlessly extending the length of the war.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:55 pm Haven’t read where we thought the Afghan government would prevail
Wishful thinking; best I heard was that they might hold on for 12-18 months...at least a possibility and to say otherwise would have simply started the panic faster.
12-18 months would have been more than enough. This entire withdrawal strategy -- the order, time frame, base turnover & deadline, was predicated on the govt holding together & the ASF covering our retreat. We didn't even notify the ASF when we were vacating the bases. We did not factor in the possibility of the collapse of the govt & the ASF before we & our Afghan friends could get out. When it became obvious the govt would fall, we did not adjust,

We've outsourced our security to the Haqqani network & given them a kill list. Good God !
...& we're not out yet.

Interesting article. They could put internal fuel tanks in the Chinooks & fly them out through Pakistan then on to the 3 amphib ships we have in the N Arabian Sea, That's more helos than we left in the desert in '79.
Last edited by old salt on Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:52 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:55 pm Haven’t read where we thought the Afghan government would prevail

...& we're not out yet.

Interesting article. They could put internal fuel tanks in the Chinooks & fly them out through Pakistan then on to the 3 amphib ships we have in the N Arabian Sea, That's more helos than we left in the desert in '79.
1979….. :lol: :lol: one of the poor souls we were trying to rescue lived in a house behind my parents. I saw him at the grocery store a few weeks after he got back…..wonder if he found the helicopters left in the desert as humorous 😂😂😂
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:03 am

...& we're not out yet.

1979….. :lol: :lol: one of the poor souls we were trying to rescue lived in a house behind my parents. I saw him at the grocery store a few weeks after he got back…..wonder if he found the helicopters left in the desert as humorous 😂😂😂
You're the only one laughing.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:06 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:03 am

...& we're not out yet.

You're the only one laughing.
Ok.
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... has anyone who is critical of the working arrangement Biden, the State Department and the military have cut with the Taliban considered how many people we would have gotten out of Afghanistan if that working arrangement didn't exist?? 104K Americans, Afghans and allies are out of the country thanks to that working arrangement. How many additional dead soldiers do we not have thanks to that working arrangement?

... an unknown number of Taliban soldiers were also reportedly killed in the bomb attack yesterday.

... ISIS-K has attacked the Kabul airport on a number of occasions over the past few years, killing lots of Afghans. They have also killed lots of Pakistani. They are credited with over 150 attacks since 2015, all in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Kikin

Post by Kikin »

The news article is a typical liberal partisan hit piece. The Business Insider is published by a German publishing house and Jeff Bezos holds shares in this publication (what does that tell you?). On the board of directors... Huffington Post co -founder Ken Lerer and Julie Hansen, formerly of CBS. If you can get any more left leaning then that, well, I wouldn't know how unless you actually worked for the democratic party (but hey is there really any difference?). Bottom line is most Americans agreed with getting out of Afghanistan, how you get out is the most important part. This administration has repeatedly shown its complete incompetence (open border anyone, how about alittle fentanyl with your coffee, maybe out on the deck with your MS-13 neighbors?) and this withdraw was executed in a haphazard manner and against almost all the usual protocol for engagement and military withdraw.

Naturally, the left wing media is trying to give this administration cover. How about we start being Americans first? God bless those marines and corpman killed yesterday and God bless those we leave behind. As for this administration, Forgive them father, they know not what they do (at least I hope this is ignorance and not intent).
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

:roll: well, they do come out of the woodwork....
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:57 am :roll: well, they do come out of the woodwork....
Golly gee willikers I wonder why that would be? :roll: It ain't everyday you have the privilege of witnessing a screw up of epic proportions by a sitting POTUS. Joe himself after trying to blame it on trumps agreement with the Taliban finally had to own up to his mistake. i wonder why the press has yet to leak to America what Joes advisors where telling him? Certainly whatever guidance he was given Joe chose to ignore. Damage control is now in full effect. Biden's folks have some serious spinning to do. The good thing is we are finally almost out of that country. The bad thing is how we went about doing it. Anybody out there besides myself wondering what Joes inner circle was telling him? There is a reason why a withdrawal of this nature should be strategic and has to be played as close to the vest as possible. I guess the upcoming political investigations will find a scapegoat to take the blame. Someone will have to fall on their sword, the question is who?
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Kikin wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:40 am The news article is a typical liberal partisan hit piece. The Business Insider is published by a German publishing house and Jeff Bezos holds shares in this publication (what does that tell you?). On the board of directors... Huffington Post co -founder Ken Lerer and Julie Hansen, formerly of CBS. If you can get any more left leaning then that, well, I wouldn't know how unless you actually worked for the democratic party (but hey is there really any difference?). Bottom line is most Americans agreed with getting out of Afghanistan, how you get out is the most important part. This administration has repeatedly shown its complete incompetence (open border anyone, how about alittle fentanyl with your coffee, maybe out on the deck with your MS-13 neighbors?) and this withdraw was executed in a haphazard manner and against almost all the usual protocol for engagement and military withdraw.

Naturally, the left wing media is trying to give this administration cover. How about we start being Americans first? God bless those marines and corpman killed yesterday and God bless those we leave behind. As for this administration, Forgive them father, they know not what they do (at least I hope this is ignorance and not intent).
+1 Kikin... jhu72 has a talent for digging up slanted/misleading articles on a range of topics
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

tech37 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:37 am
Kikin wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:40 am The news article is a typical liberal partisan hit piece. The Business Insider is published by a German publishing house and Jeff Bezos holds shares in this publication (what does that tell you?). On the board of directors... Huffington Post co -founder Ken Lerer and Julie Hansen, formerly of CBS. If you can get any more left leaning then that, well, I wouldn't know how unless you actually worked for the democratic party (but hey is there really any difference?). Bottom line is most Americans agreed with getting out of Afghanistan, how you get out is the most important part. This administration has repeatedly shown its complete incompetence (open border anyone, how about alittle fentanyl with your coffee, maybe out on the deck with your MS-13 neighbors?) and this withdraw was executed in a haphazard manner and against almost all the usual protocol for engagement and military withdraw.

+1 Kikin... jhu72 has a talent for digging up slanted/misleading articles on a range of topics
Just an observation....It would appear that you are often engaged in similar activity just with a different set of slanted/misleading articles. Call it the pot meet kettle syndrome for lack of a better term.

What I find most disheartening that on a day that we lost 12 Marines and a Navy corpsman, that the focus appears to be on the usual BS politics and arguing over stuff that doesn't appear to be so important right now. :oops: :oops: Kikin was there before the end of his post and IMHO that's the correct sentiment without the rant in the preceding paragraph
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Kismet wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:47 am

Just an observation....It would appear that you are often engaged in similar activity just with a different set of slanted/misleading articles. Call it the pot meet kettle syndrome for lack of a better term.

What I find most disheartening that on a day that we lost 12 Marines and a Navy corpsman, that the focus appears to be on the usual BS politics and arguing over stuff that doesn't appear to be so important right now. :oops: :oops: Kikin was there before the end of his post and IMHO that's the correct sentiment without the rant in the preceding paragraph
Fine. Find some articles I've posted that are slanted or misleading? I'm all ears.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

I am sort of in agreement with you. I'm incensed because the loss of our marines could have been avoided. The attack was predictable, the British tried to sound the alarm. I guess our military folks handing the job for outside perimeter security over to the Taliban will be looked at in the upcoming congressional investigations. This who we gonna blame show is just getting ramped up.
Bob Ross:
CU88

Post by CU88 »

August 26, 2021
Heather Cox Richardson
Aug 27

In Afghanistan today, two explosions outside the Kabul airport killed at least 60 Afghan civilians and 13 U.S. troops. More than 100 Afghans and 15 U.S. service members were wounded.

ISIS-K, the Islamic State Khorasan, claimed responsibility for the attack. ISIS-K is an extremist offshoot of the Taliban organized in Pakistan about six years ago by younger men who think the older leaders of the Taliban now in control of Afghanistan are too moderate. The ISIS-K leaders want to destabilize the Taliban’s apparent assumption of the country’s leadership after the collapse of the Afghan government.

The Taliban joined governments around the world in condemning the attack, illustrating their interest in being welcomed into the larger international sphere rather than continuing to be perceived as violent outsiders. Increasingly, it seems their sweep into power surprised them as much as anyone, and they are now faced with pulling together warring factions without the hatred of occupying U.S. troops to glue them together.

Taliban leaders continue to talk with former leaders of the U.S.-backed Afghan government to figure out how to govern the country. Western aid, on which the country relies, will depend on the Taliban’s acceptance of basic human rights, including the education of its girls, and its refusal to permit terrorists to use the country as a staging ground.

The attack was horrific but not a surprise. Last night, the U.S. State Department warned of specific security threats and urged U.S. citizens to leave the area around the airport immediately.

Later in the day, observers reported explosions near the airport. Paul Szoldra, editor-in-chief of Task and Purpose, tweeted that he had heard from a source that the explosions were controlled demolitions as U.S. troops destroyed equipment.

Tonight, President Joe Biden held a press conference honoring the dead as “part of the bravest, most capable, and the most selfless military on the face of the Earth.” He told the terrorists that “[w]e will hunt you down and make you pay,” but on our terms, not theirs. “I will defend our interests and our people with every measure at my command,” he said.

Despite the attacks, the airlift continues. Today, General Kenneth F. McKenzie Jr., commander of United States Central Command, said that more than 104,000 people have been evacuated from the airport, including 5000 U.S. citizens.

I confess to being knocked off-keel by the Republican reaction to the Kabul bombing.

The roots of the U.S. withdrawal from its 20 years in Afghanistan were planted in February 2020, when the Trump administration cut a deal with the Taliban agreeing to release 5000 imprisoned Taliban fighters and to leave the country by May 1, 2021, so long as the Taliban did not kill any more Americans. The negotiations did not include the U.S.-backed Afghan government. By the time Biden took office, the U.S. had withdrawn all but 2500 troops from the country.

That left Biden with the option either to go back on Trump’s agreement or to follow through. To ignore the agreement would mean the Taliban would again begin attacking U.S. service people, and the U.S. would both have to pour in significant numbers of troops and sustain casualties. And Biden himself wanted out of what had become a meandering, expensive, unpopular war.

On April 14, 2021, three months after taking office, Biden said he would honor the agreement he had inherited from Trump. “It is perhaps not what I would have negotiated myself,” he said, “but it was an agreement made by the United States government, and that means something.” He said that the original U.S. mission had been to stop Afghanistan from becoming a staging ground for terrorists and to destroy those who had attacked the United States on 9-11, and both of those goals had been accomplished. Now, he said, “our reasons for remaining in Afghanistan are becoming increasingly unclear.”

Biden said he would begin, not end, the troop withdrawal on May 1 (prompting Trump to complain that it should be done sooner), getting everyone out by September 11, the 20th anniversary of the al-Qaeda attacks that took us there in the first place. (He later adjusted that to August 31.) He promised to evacuate the country “responsibly, deliberately, and safely” and assured Americans that the U.S. had “trained and equipped a standing force of over 300,000 Afghan personnel” and that “they’ll continue to fight valiantly, on behalf of the Afghans, at great cost.”

Instead, the Afghan army crumbled as the U.S began to pull its remaining troops out in July. By mid-August, the Taliban had taken control of the capital, Kabul, after taking all the regional capitals in a little over a week. It turned out that when the Trump administration cut the Afghan government out of negotiations with the Taliban, Afghan soldiers recognized that they would soon be on their own and arranged “cease fire” agreements, enabling the Taliban to take control with very little fighting.

Just before the Taliban took Kabul, the leaders of the Afghan government fled the country, abandoning the country to chaos. People rushed to the airport to escape, although the Taliban quickly reassured them that they would give amnesty to all of their former enemies. In those chaotic early hours, seven Afghans died, either crushed in the crowds or killed when they fell from planes to which they had clung in hopes of getting out.

Then, though, the Biden administration established order and has conducted the largest airlift in U.S. history, more than 100,000 people, without casualties until today. The State Department says about 1000 Americans remain in Afghanistan. They are primarily Afghan-Americans who are not sure whether they want to leave. The administration is in contact with them and promises it will continue to work to evacuate them after August 31 if they choose to leave.

In the past, when American troops were targeted by terrorists, Americans came together to condemn those attackers. Apparently, no longer. While world leaders—including even those of the Taliban—condemned the attacks on U.S. troops, Republican leaders instead attacked President Biden.

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) blamed Biden for the attack and insisted that troops should remain in Afghanistan under congressional control until all Americans are safely out. Representative Elise Stefanik (R-NY), who replaced Liz Cheney (R-WY) as the third-ranking Republican in the House when Cheney refused to line up behind Trump, tweeted: "Joe Biden has blood on his hands.... This horrific national security and humanitarian disaster is solely the result of Joe Biden's weak and incompetent leadership. He is unfit to be Commander-in-Chief.”
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

CU88 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:10 am August 26, 2021
Heather Cox Richardson
Aug 27

In Afghanistan today, two explosions outside the Kabul airport killed at least 60 Afghan civilians and 13 U.S. troops. More than 100 Afghans and 15 U.S. service members were wounded.

ISIS-K, the Islamic State Khorasan, claimed responsibility for the attack. ISIS-K is an extremist offshoot of the Taliban organized in Pakistan about six years ago by younger men who think the older leaders of the Taliban now in control of Afghanistan are too moderate. The ISIS-K leaders want to destabilize the Taliban’s apparent assumption of the country’s leadership after the collapse of the Afghan government.

The Taliban joined governments around the world in condemning the attack, illustrating their interest in being welcomed into the larger international sphere rather than continuing to be perceived as violent outsiders. Increasingly, it seems their sweep into power surprised them as much as anyone, and they are now faced with pulling together warring factions without the hatred of occupying U.S. troops to glue them together.

Taliban leaders continue to talk with former leaders of the U.S.-backed Afghan government to figure out how to govern the country. Western aid, on which the country relies, will depend on the Taliban’s acceptance of basic human rights, including the education of its girls, and its refusal to permit terrorists to use the country as a staging ground.

The attack was horrific but not a surprise. Last night, the U.S. State Department warned of specific security threats and urged U.S. citizens to leave the area around the airport immediately.

Later in the day, observers reported explosions near the airport. Paul Szoldra, editor-in-chief of Task and Purpose, tweeted that he had heard from a source that the explosions were controlled demolitions as U.S. troops destroyed equipment.

Tonight, President Joe Biden held a press conference honoring the dead as “part of the bravest, most capable, and the most selfless military on the face of the Earth.” He told the terrorists that “[w]e will hunt you down and make you pay,” but on our terms, not theirs. “I will defend our interests and our people with every measure at my command,” he said.

Despite the attacks, the airlift continues. Today, General Kenneth F. McKenzie Jr., commander of United States Central Command, said that more than 104,000 people have been evacuated from the airport, including 5000 U.S. citizens.

I confess to being knocked off-keel by the Republican reaction to the Kabul bombing.

The roots of the U.S. withdrawal from its 20 years in Afghanistan were planted in February 2020, when the Trump administration cut a deal with the Taliban agreeing to release 5000 imprisoned Taliban fighters and to leave the country by May 1, 2021, so long as the Taliban did not kill any more Americans. The negotiations did not include the U.S.-backed Afghan government. By the time Biden took office, the U.S. had withdrawn all but 2500 troops from the country.

That left Biden with the option either to go back on Trump’s agreement or to follow through. To ignore the agreement would mean the Taliban would again begin attacking U.S. service people, and the U.S. would both have to pour in significant numbers of troops and sustain casualties. And Biden himself wanted out of what had become a meandering, expensive, unpopular war.

On April 14, 2021, three months after taking office, Biden said he would honor the agreement he had inherited from Trump. “It is perhaps not what I would have negotiated myself,” he said, “but it was an agreement made by the United States government, and that means something.” He said that the original U.S. mission had been to stop Afghanistan from becoming a staging ground for terrorists and to destroy those who had attacked the United States on 9-11, and both of those goals had been accomplished. Now, he said, “our reasons for remaining in Afghanistan are becoming increasingly unclear.”

Biden said he would begin, not end, the troop withdrawal on May 1 (prompting Trump to complain that it should be done sooner), getting everyone out by September 11, the 20th anniversary of the al-Qaeda attacks that took us there in the first place. (He later adjusted that to August 31.) He promised to evacuate the country “responsibly, deliberately, and safely” and assured Americans that the U.S. had “trained and equipped a standing force of over 300,000 Afghan personnel” and that “they’ll continue to fight valiantly, on behalf of the Afghans, at great cost.”

Instead, the Afghan army crumbled as the U.S began to pull its remaining troops out in July. By mid-August, the Taliban had taken control of the capital, Kabul, after taking all the regional capitals in a little over a week. It turned out that when the Trump administration cut the Afghan government out of negotiations with the Taliban, Afghan soldiers recognized that they would soon be on their own and arranged “cease fire” agreements, enabling the Taliban to take control with very little fighting.

Just before the Taliban took Kabul, the leaders of the Afghan government fled the country, abandoning the country to chaos. People rushed to the airport to escape, although the Taliban quickly reassured them that they would give amnesty to all of their former enemies. In those chaotic early hours, seven Afghans died, either crushed in the crowds or killed when they fell from planes to which they had clung in hopes of getting out.

Then, though, the Biden administration established order and has conducted the largest airlift in U.S. history, more than 100,000 people, without casualties until today. The State Department says about 1000 Americans remain in Afghanistan. They are primarily Afghan-Americans who are not sure whether they want to leave. The administration is in contact with them and promises it will continue to work to evacuate them after August 31 if they choose to leave.

In the past, when American troops were targeted by terrorists, Americans came together to condemn those attackers. Apparently, no longer. While world leaders—including even those of the Taliban—condemned the attacks on U.S. troops, Republican leaders instead attacked President Biden.

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) blamed Biden for the attack and insisted that troops should remain in Afghanistan under congressional control until all Americans are safely out. Representative Elise Stefanik (R-NY), who replaced Liz Cheney (R-WY) as the third-ranking Republican in the House when Cheney refused to line up behind Trump, tweeted: "Joe Biden has blood on his hands.... This horrific national security and humanitarian disaster is solely the result of Joe Biden's weak and incompetent leadership. He is unfit to be Commander-in-Chief.”
Anytime I read any horsechit posted here from HCR... fast forward to the next post.
Bob Ross:
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

This withdrawal is being done now so we don’t lose any additional Americans in Afghanistan.

We couldn’t prevent deadly attacks against our forces there when we had over 100,000 troops stationed there.

So, pray tell … how could this withdrawal have been done differently without the horror and tragedy?

Want “God” to bless our troops and their families? Let’s finish the withdrawal and get the heck out of that god forsaken land. That’s a blessing that should have occurred 15 years ago.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Business Insider is rated as HIGHLY FACTUAL and with a LEFT-CENTER bias. Bias ranking is as close to dead center as you can be and have a left lean. The factuality rating is the second highest factuality rating possible. Seems they don't do too bad a job.

Return to “POLITICS”