Re: Jared Bernhardt

Post by Farfromgeneva »

blue angels wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:28 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:03 am
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:58 am
keno in reno wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:03 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:24 pm
keno in reno wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:58 pm
faircornell wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:12 pm Ferris State is a good D II football school. I wonder if he's trying to catch the eye of an NFL scout?
The answer is yes, and he already has. The best athlete in D1 lacrosse any year can compete with NFL players athletically. The next question is does that lacrosse player have the size, and the answer with Jared is yes (Sowers, Montgomery and Gray, though great lax athletes, cannot check that box unless they can play the tiny receiver/punt returner role).

So the next check is does he have a football skill....that is TBD. If he only wants to be a QB, that could be a huge leap. If he wants to play QB in D2 and transition to WR in the NFL, that is certainly possible. Even college QB to NFL safety is possible and Jared is certainly capable of that. Even a pro switch to running back is possible considering his elite athleticism. I wouldn't bet against him. There are a few recent running backs from Maryland (obviously a bad football team for the past 15 years) that are doing well in the NFL; Jared is at least as good athletically as them.
Unfortunately, elite football teams like Alabama, Ohio State, and Clemson probably have several dozen players on their rosters who match or surpass Bernhardt in raw athleticism.

Realistically, Bernhardt will be fortunate to be picked up as an undrafted free agent and then signed to the practice squad of an NFL team. If he does play professional football, it will likely be in the Canadian Football League or an indoor football league.

As both Tim Tebow and Johnny Manziel know all too well, even a Heisman Trophy doesn’t guarantee a spot on an NFL roster.

I wish Bernhardt the best, but his professional sports future is probably earning $30,000 a year (with benefits) in the PLL. The money isn’t good, but playing in the PLL is a privilege for former college lacrosse players. Frankly, I would rather see Bernhardt excel in the PLL than toil away on an NFL practice squad (which is the rosy professional football scenario).

DocBarrister
So what is your expertise in the NFL? Google all you want, but I bet you have no idea who Jake Funk, Ty Johnson and Anthony McFarland are at this moment. At a minimum, Jared is their athletic peer.

But you probably know more, so what is your expertise in NFL talent evaluation?
All those guys you listed played multiple seasons of Division I football.

Had Bernhardt played multiple seasons of Division I football, I might be more optimistic about his chances, but he didn’t.

From what I have read, Bernhardt isn’t likely to start at QB. Maybe he could become a running back, but elite athletes at RB are a dime a dozen and he would be hard pressed to win a roster spot in the NFL. Many RBs make their living pass blocking (e.g., Kyren Williams of Notre Dame). Does Bernhardt have that skill? That requires skill in reading defenses (obviously a challenging skill for QBs as well). WR is an even tougher position. It can take years of top-level play to learn how to run the precise routes that an NFL WR must run.

Athleticism is just the foundation for a good football player. Hard to see Bernhardt getting in enough reps at Division II to attract any serious attention from the NFL.

Again, wish him the best.

DocBarrister
I guess Loyola guys were talking about Pat Spencer playing in the NBA couple of years ago so let MD fans have this dream.
The push by some fans is laughable……The odds against Bernhardt making an NFL roster are so small, they aren’t even worth considering at this point.….It’s abundantly clear that Bernhardt would have to move to another skill position to have even a remote chance. If he viewed that as a realistic goal he should be training as a WR or DB now instead of an option QB. I suspect this move is more about a love for the game than any serious effort at the pros or he would be handling it differently. Bet is he coaching lacrosse somewhere like the rest of his kin when he runs out of eligibility.
But I mean he’s got his own thread...must be NFL caliber for that.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Just because he is the best athlete lacrosse has ever had since Jim Brown doesn’t get him in the NFL. He’s an option QB. His only shot would be receiver or CB at his size and he’s never played those positions.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Agree with Doc that this is crazy. Every year there are over a hundred (likely well over) D1 football players who are as good an athlete as Bernhardt who don't make NFL rosters. QB??? As someone said, his absolute best case scenario is camp as an undrafted FA and practice squad. And the odds of that are very small. At something like safety, literally everyone on the 3 deep at every top 25 school is as good an athlete as him and has spend years getting D1 coaching and going up against D1 players in practice and games. Bernhardt is supposed to take 4 years off from football, play option QB (backup option QB?) for 1 year at a D2 school and then play safety or WR for an NFL team? :lol:
AOD

Post by AOD »

pcowlax wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:55 am Agree with Doc that this is crazy. Every year there are over a hundred (likely well over) D1 football players who are as good an athlete as Bernhardt who don't make NFL rosters. QB??? As someone said, his absolute best case scenario is camp as an undrafted FA and practice squad. And the odds of that are very small. At something like safety, literally everyone on the 3 deep at every top 25 school is as good an athlete as him and has spend years getting D1 coaching and going up against D1 players in practice and games. Bernhardt is supposed to take 4 years off from football, play option QB (backup option QB?) for 1 year at a D2 school and then play safety or WR for an NFL team? :lol:
Well, there is a precedent for that. Just look at Chris Hogan. Played college lacrosse at Penn State. Played football at Monmouth as a QB/receiver/cornerback/special teams player. Bernhardt and Hogan are close in size.

A long shot? Yes. But precedence? Yes.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

AOD wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:09 am
pcowlax wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:55 am Agree with Doc that this is crazy. Every year there are over a hundred (likely well over) D1 football players who are as good an athlete as Bernhardt who don't make NFL rosters. QB??? As someone said, his absolute best case scenario is camp as an undrafted FA and practice squad. And the odds of that are very small. At something like safety, literally everyone on the 3 deep at every top 25 school is as good an athlete as him and has spend years getting D1 coaching and going up against D1 players in practice and games. Bernhardt is supposed to take 4 years off from football, play option QB (backup option QB?) for 1 year at a D2 school and then play safety or WR for an NFL team? :lol:
Well, there is a precedent for that. Just look at Chris Hogan. Played college lacrosse at Penn State. Played football at Monmouth as a QB/receiver/cornerback/special teams player. Bernhardt and Hogan are close in size.

Yep … and his pathway into the NFL?

Undrafted free agent and (multiple) practice squads on multiple teams.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
AOD

Post by AOD »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:21 am

Yep … and his pathway into the NFL?

Undrafted free agent and (multiple) practice squads on multiple teams.

DocBarrister
Yep, a long shot.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I don’t think Hogan played any QB at Monmouth. He only played DB bc of injuries he was focused on WR from my understanding.
AOD

Post by AOD »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:55 am

I don’t think Hogan played any QB at Monmouth. He only played DB bc of injuries he was focused on WR from my understanding.
Think you're right about that. He was willing to do anything there, and to my recollection ran scout team QB at times.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

AOD wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:02 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:55 am

Think you're right about that. He was willing to do anything there, and to my recollection ran scout team QB at times.
Well shoot I ran scout RB a few times my FR year at Hobart but they weren’t going to let a third string FR ILB ever play RB under any circumstances short of the apocalypse.

I mean I wanted to play so bad I refused to fumble the ball while playing KO return upfront on onside kick practice time in preseason. After the 11th try, because it was practice for the online kick group, our HC said to the meanest, hardest hitting kid on the team named Tyre Simmons: “Night Train (his nickname), get that f**king ball if you have to kill him!”...I didn’t mean to fumble the ball but there’s a few seconds missing from my memory of how it went down from when I caught it while on one knee and it skipped up...
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

faircornell wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:12 pm Ferris State is a good D II football school. I wonder if he's trying to catch the eye of an NFL scout?
The answer is yes, and he already has. The best athlete in D1 lacrosse any year can compete with NFL players athletically. The next question is does that lacrosse player have the size, and the answer with Jared is yes (Sowers, Montgomery and Gray, though great lax athletes, cannot check that box unless they can play the tiny receiver/punt returner role).

So the next check is does he have a football skill....that is TBD. If he only wants to be a QB, that could be a huge leap. If he wants to play QB in D2 and transition to WR in the NFL, that is certainly possible. Even college QB to NFL safety is possible and Jared is certainly capable of that. Even a pro switch to running back is possible considering his elite athleticism. I wouldn't bet against him. There are a few recent running backs from Maryland (obviously a bad football team for the past 15 years) that are doing well in the NFL; Jared is at least as good athletically as them.
Unfortunately, elite football teams like Alabama, Ohio State, and Clemson probably have several dozen players on their rosters who match or surpass Bernhardt in raw athleticism.

Realistically, Bernhardt will be fortunate to be picked up as an undrafted free agent and then signed to the practice squad of an NFL team. If he does play professional football, it will likely be in the Canadian Football League or an indoor football league.

As both Tim Tebow and Johnny Manziel know all too well, even a Heisman Trophy doesn’t guarantee a spot on an NFL roster.

I wish Bernhardt the best, but his professional sports future is probably earning $30,000 a year (with benefits) in the PLL. The money isn’t good, but playing in the PLL is a privilege for former college lacrosse players. Frankly, I would rather see Bernhardt excel in the PLL than toil away on an NFL practice squad (which is the rosy professional football scenario).

DocBarrister
Personally, I would rather have my child pursue their dream, particularly at 23 years old than take the easier path. Best of Luck Jared

"Now those memories come back to haunt me
They haunt me like a curse
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true
Or is it something worse" - Bruce Springsteen - The River
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jersey shore lax wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:46 pm

DocBarrister
Personally, I would rather have my child pursue their dream, particularly at 23 years old than take the easier path. Best of Luck Jared

Of course. Nobody is questioning the kid just the expectations of some around here.
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

People always forget that Tom Kennedy is on the Lions...kid came out of Bryant as two sport stud...it can happen...
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DocBarrister

Trust me … “something worse.”

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:53 pm

DocBarrister

Trust me … “something worse.”

DocBarrister ;)
Yes, and after trying to go through NFL pre-season camp, Jared would have to hide 'neath his covers and study his pain
Make crosses from his lovers, throw roses in the rain.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

The push by some jock sniffer fans is laughable……The odds against Bernhardt making an NFL roster are so small, they aren’t even worth considering at this point.….It’s abundantly clear that Bernhardt would have to move to another skill position to have even a remote chance. If he viewed that as a realistic goal he should be training as a WR or DB now instead of an option QB. I suspect this move is more about a love for the game than any serious effort at the pros or he would be handling it differently. Bet he is coaching lacrosse somewhere like the rest of his kin when he runs out of eligibility.
Jared is a pretty grounded person, who also spent a significant amount of time around NFL teams. His family is similarly grounded. The guy loves football and it connects him to his dad, but Jared isn't a pie in the sky person.
Kikin

Post by Kikin »

I always got the impression (and I have no personal knowledge) that Jared wanted to play football to honor his father. Football was a shared passion for them and although he chose lacrosse, I am sure he and his Dad had discussions about him playing college football. It might just be something he wants to "check off" the list of goals. Seems like an extremely sensible young man, I am sure, if he has any football aspirations, they are firmly grounded in reality.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Wheels wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:32 pm
The push by some jock sniffer fans is laughable……The odds against Bernhardt making an NFL roster are so small, they aren’t even worth considering at this point.….It’s abundantly clear that Bernhardt would have to move to another skill position to have even a remote chance. If he viewed that as a realistic goal he should be training as a WR or DB now instead of an option QB. I suspect this move is more about a love for the game than any serious effort at the pros or he would be handling it differently. Bet he is coaching lacrosse somewhere like the rest of his kin when he runs out of eligibility.
Jared is a pretty grounded person, who also spent a significant amount of time around NFL teams. His family is similarly grounded. The guy loves football and it connects him to his dad, but Jared isn't a pie in the sky person.
Reread my post….. I am talking about some of your Maryland brethren fans making some absurd claims about him going to the NFL, not Bernhardt making them.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

blue angels wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:13 pm
Wheels wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:32 pm
Reread my post….. I am talking about some of your Maryland brethren fans making some absurd claims about him going to the NFL, not Bernhardt making them.
Doesn’t matter you said something negative and identities are wrapped up in this stuff.
cantrelax

Post by cantrelax »

Kudos to Jared! Loves the game, is still young, strong and eligible. I'll definitely be checking it out this fall. Admittedly, I had no clue where Ferris St. was located before googling. Pat Spencer made a similar decision albeit in hoops-pro ball in Europe. I think it's great, and the PLL awaits both if they choose. Shanahan, Yeatman, Hogan, and others- all great stories.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Kikin wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:15 pm I always got the impression (and I have no personal knowledge) that Jared wanted to play football to honor his father. Football was a shared passion for them and although he chose lacrosse, I am sure he and his Dad had discussions about him playing college football. It might just be something he wants to "check off" the list of goals. Seems like an extremely sensible young man, I am sure, if he has any football aspirations, they are firmly grounded in reality.
Very true Kikin re: honoring his late father, Jim. Although, Jim was also a lax guy(native Long Islander) and very much encouraged his sons to play lax--even in football crazy Fla...

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”