Coaching Carousel

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I didn’t know where to put this but it involves coaches and recruiting so...

TONIGHT - Join the IWLCA for this educational Recruiting Roundtable touching on all things September 1st! This webinar is open to all club & high school coaches as well as PSA's and their families.

https://twitter.com/iwlca/status/143016 ... 45957?s=21
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Word on the street is JS is bringing on a homegrown assistant
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Fischer wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:37 am Word on the street is JS is bringing on a homegrown assistant
JS? As in Joe Spallina?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:59 am
Fischer wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:37 am Word on the street is JS is bringing on a homegrown assistant
JS? As in Joe Spallina?
JS = Sung?

Though I think with Hillier leaving, Joe needs an assistant? Kylie? Kennedy?
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:02 pm
JS? As in Joe Spallina?
JS = Sung?

I’d be pretty surprised if it’s not Kylie. Tough job for an assistant though as JS totally runs the show on offense and defense
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:14 pm
JS? As in Joe Spallina?
JS = Sung?

I’d be pretty surprised if it’s not Kylie. Tough job for an assistant though as JS totally runs the show on offense and defense
Being a great player does not always equal being a good coach. Doing it and teaching others to do it are two different things. And where did you get your info about Joe's coaching? I have never heard Kim Hillier or Caitlin Defliese say that. Did you read an article that stated that?
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:47 pm
JS? As in Joe Spallina?
JS = Sung?

Being a great player does not always equal being a good coach. Doing it and teaching others to do it are two different things. And where did you get your info about Joe's coaching? I have never heard Kim Hillier or Caitlin Defliese say that. Did you read an article that stated that?
He has had a lot of assist coaches in the time he has been there . Hillier lasted a long time. No, I didn’t read it . One of his old Asst coaches told me directly. JS is a great coach - he just likes control. It’s not a knock. And I def agree being a great player def does not equal being a good coach but I think the reasoning behind that is at times the amount of control the head coach is willing to give up.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:56 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:47 pm
JS? As in Joe Spallina?
JS = Sung?

He has had a lot of assist coaches in the time he has been there . Hillier lasted a long time. No, I didn’t read it . One of his old Asst coaches told me directly. JS is a great coach - he just likes control. It’s not a knock. And I def agree being a great player def does not equal being a good coach but I think the reasoning behind that is at times the amount of control the head coach is willing to give up.
It’s not ohmiller
OuttaNowhereWregget

Denver Pioneers

Brice Queener has been promoted to Associate Head Coach.

https://denverpioneers.com/news/2021/8/ ... coach.aspx
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:42 pm Based on the Clemson Lacrosse instagram story, it looks like Madison Carter is going to be joining Kwolek in South Carolina
You called it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CS-IGRurTJM ... _copy_link
Coachlax11

Post by Coachlax11 »

LaxCoach13 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:09 am Saw Merrimack posted today, looking at their site have they really been without a coach for over a year, if so you just now post? Was moving to DI really a good move? Does anyone know where Coach Duffy went?

… Duffy was let go for breaking COVID protocols repeatedly. At least that’s the word on the streets. Afterward they went through a hiring process back in January and hired UNH alum and former Southern Maine (D3) HC Ashley Durepo. Not sure where she went but she was barely there for 4 months and now the job is posted again….
LaxCoach13

Post by LaxCoach13 »

Coachlax11 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:12 pm
LaxCoach13 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:09 am Saw Merrimack posted today, looking at their site have they really been without a coach for over a year, if so you just now post? Was moving to DI really a good move? Does anyone know where Coach Duffy went?

… Duffy was let go for breaking COVID protocols repeatedly. At least that’s the word on the streets. Afterward they went through a hiring process back in January and hired UNH alum and former Southern Maine (D3) HC Ashley Durepo. Not sure where she went but she was barely there for 4 months and now the job is posted again….
Interesting
LaxCoach13

Post by LaxCoach13 »

livelovelax wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:17 am Coastal was picked and should be announced shortly.
Coastal has someone, the job has only been posted 2 weeks, that would be a new record the way things have been going this year.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... osse-coach

Tough for the Furman freshman that just got to campus.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Rachel Shuck Whitten has been named head coach of Coastal Carolina.

https://goccusports.com/news/2021/8/26/ ... coach.aspx
LaxCoach13

Post by LaxCoach13 »

Looks like a good hire for CC
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

LaxCoach13 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:37 pm Looks like a good hire for CC
Good coach
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

hmmm wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:37 pm https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... osse-coach

I don't get the move from Furman to Coastal. Furman is a really nice academic school, good reputation and reasonably competitive within its conf. Kind of puzzling, at least to me.

If I'm Furman I offer the associate head coach the head coach job on at least an interim basis with oppty for permanent job depending on the season.. And I do that tomorrow at the latest. Kids are back to school and practice is starting.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

8meterPA wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:01 pm
hmmm wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:37 pm https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... osse-coach

I don't get the move from Furman to Coastal. Furman is a really nice academic school, good reputation and reasonably competitive within its conf. Kind of puzzling, at least to me.

If I'm Furman I offer the associate head coach the head coach job on at least an interim basis with oppty for permanent job depending on the season.. And I do that tomorrow at the latest. Kids are back to school and practice is starting.
Did you follow Coastal this past season? They were 2 or 3 wins from the top 25. Coach Selvage had a good mix of transfers and recruits and was building something really good. They were #12 in D1 Football and went to their first postseason Bowl Game ever. The school's academic rep is on the rise and a lot of students like the Myrtle Beach location.
I would say the new coach saw this as a Vertical move.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:33 pm
8meterPA wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:01 pm

Did you follow Coastal this past season? They were 2 or 3 wins from the top 25. Coach Selvage had a good mix of transfers and recruits and was building something really good. They were #12 in D1 Football and went to their first postseason Bowl Game ever. The school's academic rep is on the rise and a lot of students like the Myrtle Beach location.
I would say the new coach saw this as a Vertical move.
Actually I do follow both teams. Furman beat Coastal this past year 13-10 and had a nice season at 12-7. Honestly you could argue Furman was a win or two away from top 25, not Coastal.

Anyway move doesn't make sense to me, especially at this point of season.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”