New Pro Women's League

D1 Womens Lacrosse
glaxer24

Re: New Pro Women's League

Post by glaxer24 »

Last game of the 2021 season- Cummings vs. Waters. Waters up 1-0 end of 1st on a nice one from Kent.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Levy's flamethrow burns the net for 2.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Wow, three goals scored in the half, Waters, 3-1.
Orange putting on a clinic on how to play a zone,
nicely done. GKs dousing fire thrown at the cage
at both ends. Waters unconscious.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Fantastic game, Cummings wins it 7-5.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

My Final thoughts on the initial AU Pro Women's Lacrosse season:
- They need to have ACTUAL Teams. The switching of Personnel and the weekly draft was cute...at first...it got old in week 2. The team system is not broken, so no need to fix it. If I want to watch Pickup Basketball, I'll go to the nearest Park or Rec center.

-They need to decide on how physical this is or isn't going to be. A friend of mine said he thinks they dodged a big bullet in not having any serious injuries. He's absolutely right. I watched Kayla Woods get hit in the head with a stick and then hit in the face with a ball. And she was allowed to go back in the game?? Seriously? No 3 seconds, No Shooting Space? Okay...then get helmets and some level of padding. Otherwise, adjustments need to be made.

- I'm not for or against the 2 point shot, but it needs to be moved back 2-4 meters. Where it is right now at 8 meters is ridiculous!

- Coaches or no Coaches? This "advisor" stuff is dumb. The players coaching themselves is dumb. Name the Pro sports league where a team of players coach themselves? I'll wait...

- Joe Beninati acting like he doesn't know anything about Lacrosse. That's such a sham and he is the opposite of that. He's a Long Island guy and grew up playing Lacrosse. He played Lax at Bowdoin College and was quite good(Goalie, still holds the school single season record for saves). I know that he has a lot of insight into the sport of Lacrosse and I wish he would have added that to the Broadcast. I have no issue with Courtney Connor, but Joe should have added more to the overall broadcast other than Play-By-Play.

-The Point system, the draft every week, no coaches...GIMMICKS! These do not work for a sustained run.
-With the World Cup coming next year, how is this going to work for Personnel?

- This thing with the Fans in the stands is silly. Either allow the general Public in at all times or none of the time. That "Friends and Family" day thing got old fast. That's who has always watched Women's Lacrosse, Friends and Family. If they want to get beyond that, then they need to do so.

- Who is their audience and where is the market for this? Those are really important questions that need to be answered.

Okay...love to hear what others thought. And please, do not be nice or fake in your comments. Say what you want to.

*For the Record, I watched about 70% of the games.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

The point about the ‘22 Women’s World Lacrosse Championship is an excellent one. Great foresight.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

LarryGamLax wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:48 am My Final thoughts on the initial AU Pro Women's Lacrosse season:
- They need to have ACTUAL Teams. The switching of Personnel and the weekly draft was cute...at first...it got old in week 2. The team system is not broken, so no need to fix it. If I want to watch Pickup Basketball, I'll go to the nearest Park or Rec center.

-They need to decide on how physical this is or isn't going to be. A friend of mine said he thinks they dodged a big bullet in not having any serious injuries. He's absolutely right. I watched Kayla Woods get hit in the head with a stick and then hit in the face with a ball. And she was allowed to go back in the game?? Seriously? No 3 seconds, No Shooting Space? Okay...then get helmets and some level of padding. Otherwise, adjustments need to be made.

- I'm not for or against the 2 point shot, but it needs to be moved back 2-4 meters. Where it is right now at 8 meters is ridiculous!

- Coaches or no Coaches? This "advisor" stuff is dumb. The players coaching themselves is dumb. Name the Pro sports league where a team of players coach themselves? I'll wait...

- Joe Beninati acting like he doesn't know anything about Lacrosse. That's such a sham and he is the opposite of that. He's a Long Island guy and grew up playing Lacrosse. He played Lax at Bowdoin College and was quite good(Goalie, still holds the school single season record for saves). I know that he has a lot of insight into the sport of Lacrosse and I wish he would have added that to the Broadcast. I have no issue with Courtney Connor, but Joe should have added more to the overall broadcast other than Play-By-Play.

-The Point system, the draft every week, no coaches...GIMMICKS! These do not work for a sustained run.

- This thing with the Fans in the stands is silly. Either allow the general Public in at all times or none of the time. That "Friends and Family" day thing got old fast. That's who has always watched Women's Lacrosse, Friends and Family. If they want to get beyond that, then they need to do so.

- Who is their audience and where is the market for this? Those are really important questions that need to be answered.

Okay...love to hear what others thought. And please, do not be nice or fake in your comments. Say what you want to.

For the first year, I thought the product on the field and the overall production of the games were done very well. Multiple camera angles, great replays - with slow-mo, players miked up, player interviews - all done really well.

As far as fans go, it is tough to get fans into the same venue when you are playing there 5 weeks in a row. Not sure how many casual fans will go to the games more than once. I'm not sure their model is about "butts in the seats" it's more of a TV and Social Media play (just like the PLL).

I love the way they are playing the game - fast and hard. However, I do think the 2-point shot and no shooting space ( or 3-seconds) is crazy. Someone is going to get seriously hurt by getting a shot to the face, temple or throat. We saw two red cards the whole season for shots that hit a player above the knees. I'm surprised there were not more but maybe these ladies are already use to shooting space and they know when not to shoot. The other rules with empty stick checks and physical defense I am OK with.

If they move the 2-point shot line back any further I think it will add more danger to the game. Players looking to shoot from further out is not a great thing.

Lastly - I like the point system. I thought it was weird at first but I learned to really like it and it is another way for the league to get more fans who are interested in players and not just teams. It's almost like fantasy football.

I liked the league a lot and watched almost all of the games.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Think they will probably tweak the rules a little next year for player safety reasons. Maybe a lane in front of the goal where 3 seconds is not allowed to keep players from camping out in front of the goal. Maybe ban zone defense? This could help in terms of safety as well as most likely leading to more goals being scored which is always a good thing.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

“They need to have ACTUAL Teams. The switching of Personnel and the weekly draft was cute...at first...it got old in week 2. The team system is not broken, so no need to fix it. If I want to watch Pickup Basketball, I'll go to the nearest Park or Rec center.”

Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:48 am My Final thoughts on the initial AU Pro Women's Lacrosse season:

Larry I agree with every single point you made. Very well put. Agressiveness in game with little consequences not good for the game. And yes lucky no major injuries, Im sure some borderline concussions....
Also agree keep the teams constant.
Yes next year will be interesting with US Team, I cant think it will be during that time frame . Yes there are a lot of ladies to pick from but Cummings, Treanor, Appuzzo, Waters, Ohlmiller, McCool etc will all be on Team USA.
Finally can we move it out of Maryland for a change,? So sick of every major event being in Maryland, plenty of other states to play in!!
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:36 am

Larry I agree with every single point you made. Very well put. Agressiveness in game with little consequences not good for the game. And yes lucky no major injuries, Im sure some borderline concussions....
Yes next year will be interesting with US Team, I cant think it will be during that time frame . Yes there are a lot of ladies to pick from but Cummings, Treanor, Appuzzo, Waters, Ohlmiller, McCool etc will all be on Team USA.
Finally can we move it out of Maryland for a change,? So sick of every major event being in Maryland, plenty of other states to play in!!
If you're speaking of the World Championships this is only the 3rd time the event is being held in the US. First time was in Philly, last time(2005) in Annapolis. Interesting fact is that the US has never won on home soil. The US has won every championship but 2 and it's the two times it was held in the US.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

hmmm wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:10 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:36 am

If you're speaking of the World Championships this is only the 3rd time the event is being held in the US. First time was in Philly, last time(2005) in Annapolis. Interesting fact is that the US has never won on home soil. The US has won every championship but 2 and it's the two times it was held in the US.
It’s should be a fun summer of lacrosse.
I can’t see Team US losing to anyone . Just an incredible amount of teams . I’ve said you could make 2/3 teams out of the US girls and US teams would still be the best. IMO
spartanslynx

Post by spartanslynx »

AU announce a season 2!

No date released but count on it being right after the World Championship to ride the wave
DMac

Post by DMac »

Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

I actually like most of what I saw in the first season. Would not have set teams - the current format should lead to very competitive games and allows fans to follow players more than teams. Would leave the 2 point shot at the 8 meter mark or you will not have any made. Agree game is too physical. The very packed in zone with 3 defenders in front of the cage not covering anyone has to be policed more. Need just a bit more scoring in some of these games and the packed in zone makes it very hard. I actually like the point system but is probably has to be tweaked slightly now that there is a year of data. If the point system continues, the points should be shown throughout the game on the screen. Keeps the game interesting. Events have to move from city to city in order to draw fans and more support. BTW - Treanor and Arsenault would have been top 3 in overall points had they not missed games. Dempsey was dominating and then missed 2 full weekends and Treanor missed a full weekend. Best overall player is Appuzzo and it is not even close.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

spartanslynx wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:44 pm AU announce a season 2!

No date released but count on it being right after the World Championship to ride the wave
Looking forward to it already :D
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Lax101 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:52 pm Best overall player is Appuzzo and it is not even close.
Meh. I think it is close with some of the top players. I would like to see them cut bait with some of the older players that have "name" or "Instagram" recognition but were clearly not at the same level as the better players. This does not include Becca Block who was still kicking ass and taking names on D.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

- They need to have ACTUAL Teams. The switching of Personnel and the weekly draft was cute...at first...it got old in week 2. The team system is not broken, so no need to fix it. If I want to watch Pickup Basketball, I'll go to the nearest Park or Rec center. I’m not opposed to the new teams each week… it was interesting to see how different players worked with each other and I imagine the players enjoyed meeting other people & how to work with people you aren’t necessarily familliar with. However I’m not attached to it so if it was removed I wouldn’t care all that much

-They need to decide on how physical this is or isn't going to be. A friend of mine said he thinks they dodged a big bullet in not having any serious injuries. He's absolutely right. I watched Kayla Woods get hit in the head with a stick and then hit in the face with a ball. And she was allowed to go back in the game?? Seriously? No 3 seconds, No Shooting Space? Okay...then get helmets and some level of padding. Otherwise, adjustments need to be made. You are 110% right with this. I’m all for letting players play but there were SO many dangerous plays. I saw so many checks to the head and dangerous follow throughs. Shooting space absolutely needs to be called, same with dangerous follow through because players can be seriously injured and like your friend said, a big bullet was dodged in there being no serious injuries.

Leave it where it is, putting it further IMO increases the risk of players getting injured. To begin with I think the 2 point shot encouraged some of those dangerous plays as some of them would just kind of be hail mary shots.

- Coaches or no Coaches? This "advisor" stuff is dumb. The players coaching themselves is dumb. Name the Pro sports league where a team of players coach themselves? I'll wait... Agree… wonder if this was some budget issue??

- Joe Beninati acting like he doesn't know anything about Lacrosse. That's such a sham and he is the opposite of that. He's a Long Island guy and grew up playing Lacrosse. He played Lax at Bowdoin College and was quite good(Goalie, still holds the school single season record for saves). I know that he has a lot of insight into the sport of Lacrosse and I wish he would have added that to the Broadcast. I have no issue with Courtney Connor, but Joe should have added more to the overall broadcast other than Play-By-Play. I didn’t have any problems with him or Connor.

-With the World Cup coming next year, how is this going to work for Personnel? By that are you wondering if players will do both or have to choose?

- This thing with the Fans in the stands is silly. Either allow the general Public in at all times or none of the time. That "Friends and Family" day thing got old fast. That's who has always watched Women's Lacrosse, Friends and Family. If they want to get beyond that, then they need to do so. Agree, not sure where they were going with the select games having fans.

- Who is their audience and where is the market for this? Those are really important questions that need to be answered. I don’t have a response to either, I was just so glad to see some of the best players in the world together again & I’m glad there will be a second season.

glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

Laxfan500: I would agree with you on moving it out of Maryland, but because of how much of a hotbed it is, I bet it would bring in the most revenue
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Lax101 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:52 pm I actually like most of what I saw in the first season. Would not have set teams - the current format should lead to very competitive games and allows fans to follow players more than teams. Would leave the 2 point shot at the 8 meter mark or you will not have any made. Agree game is too physical. The very packed in zone with 3 defenders in front of the cage not covering anyone has to be policed more. Need just a bit more scoring in some of these games and the packed in zone makes it very hard. I actually like the point system but is probably has to be tweaked slightly now that there is a year of data. If the point system continues, the points should be shown throughout the game on the screen. Keeps the game interesting. Events have to move from city to city in order to draw fans and more support. BTW - Treanor and Arsenault would have been top 3 in overall points had they not missed games. Dempsey was dominating and then missed 2 full weekends and Treanor missed a full weekend. Best overall player is Appuzzo and it is not even close.
A team consists of individuals brought together for a Common cause. Having said that, does it not make sense to have solid consistent teams and still cheer on your favorite individual players.? You can do both and it's okay. :) The constantly changing teams and rosters really serves no purpose other than a GIMMICK. What other sport do you see that done?

The Point thing to me is a distracting gimmick. Do a lot of people still attend Baseball, Basketball and Football games attempting to keep stats? So why does Women's Lacrosse have to be different? GIMMICK!

I'm surprised that Kayla Woods was not selected as Defensive Player of the season. Becca Block won it and I'm trying to see if I missed something.

And again WHO are the audience for this league? Have young girls and Women players and Casual fans shown enough interest for this to continue? I know they announced a 2nd Season, but I don't see that they are being realistic about where this sport stands in the plethora of Athletics.

The two point shot is crazy...and not in a good way. An 8 meter is worth 2 points in this League, but it's only worth 1 at every other level. Why? The Men's League 2 point shot is 15 yards away. Pushing the Women's back to 10-12 meters is not a big deal, right? They have the athletes to pull it off. A 2 point shot should be one that comes from opportunity and precision.

Players I was impressed with : Kylie Ohlmiller, Katrina Dowd(really hadn't picked up her stick in about 2 years), Michelle Tumolo and Kayla Woods.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”