VMI 2021/2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Dip&Dunk

VMI 2021/2022

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Odds and Ends

1. If you missed it, the SOCON lax will look very different this year. Starting this season, Utah, Bellarmine, Air Force, Cleveland State, Detroit Mercy, and Robert Morris will be in the ASun conference. VMI, High Point, Richmond, Jacksonville, Mercer and Hampton will make up the SOCON.
2. A recruiting class of players recruited by both the previous coach and the present coach make up the 19 new players. The actual list does not match the IL list exactly but it is pretty close.
3. Too early to identify any new recruiting trends. Two self-listed AA's have committed which is nice. (Note: how do you find out who made AA? Is it through USA Lax? If so, I am not paying USA Lax to get behind their pay wall to find out.)
4. While still subject to change, the schedule is reported to be 14 games with 5 of those away (Richmond, HPU, Manhattan, Robert Morris and Monmouth)
5. Two Fall Ball games in October. The W&L "game" is now a "scrimmage". I am not sure if the scrimmage will be in the Fall or early spring (or both) I would assume the trophy/T-Shirts/MVP plaques all go away under the new format.
wgdsr

Re: VMI 2021/2022

Post by wgdsr »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:56 am Odds and Ends

1. If you missed it, the SOCON lax will look very different this year. Starting this season, Utah, Bellarmine, Air Force, Cleveland State, Detroit Mercy, and Robert Morris will be in the ASun conference. VMI, High Point, Richmond, Jacksonville, Mercer and Hampton will make up the SOCON.
2. A recruiting class of players recruited by both the previous coach and the present coach make up the 19 new players. The actual list does not match the IL list exactly but it is pretty close.
3. Too early to identify any new recruiting trends. Two self-listed AA's have committed which is nice. (Note: how do you find out who made AA? Is it through USA Lax? If so, I am not paying USA Lax to get behind their pay wall to find out.)
4. While still subject to change, the schedule is reported to be 14 games with 5 of those away (Richmond, HPU, Manhattan, Robert Morris and Monmouth)
5. Two Fall Ball games in October. The W&L "game" is now a "scrimmage". I am not sure if the scrimmage will be in the Fall or early spring (or both) I would assume the trophy/T-Shirts/MVP plaques all go away under the new format.
https://www.usalacrosse.com/news-media- ... ool-awards
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Thank you. So while I did not look at every recruit , two are AA. D-pole and FO.

Another interesting stat is I wonder the overall scholarship total of the VMI team. Quite a few are on full ROTC/NROTC/etc. rides and not lax rides.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Well, on paper the incoming class looks good and numerous. 24 recruits listed including 3 transfers, 4 AA and an IL 4 star.

Of these, only 3 are in state. (Actually 4, one is transferring from out of state but went to HS in Virginia.)

Coaching staff remains the same which is a positive. They have obviously been busy traveling.

Hopefully non/lacrosse issues are over with and everyone can focus on academics/VMI stuff/lacrosse.

For what it is worth, very successful summer of internships I hear including job offers upon graduation. Rah Va Mil!
hooligan88

Post by hooligan88 »

They just recruited a kid from Texas that I have seen but he has trouble staying healthy. Not sure if he will make it.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

hooligan88 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:20 pm They just recruited a kid from Texas that I have seen but he has trouble staying healthy. Not sure if he will make it.
If he can finish Rat Line, he can at least start lax season in really good shape.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:56 pm Well, on paper the incoming class looks good and numerous. 24 recruits listed including 3 transfers, 4 AA and an IL 4 star.

Of these, only 3 are in state. (Actually 4, one is transferring from out of state but went to HS in Virginia.)

Coaching staff remains the same which is a positive. They have obviously been busy traveling.

Hopefully non/lacrosse issues are over with and everyone can focus on academics/VMI stuff/lacrosse.

For what it is worth, very successful summer of internships I hear including job offers upon graduation. Rah Va Mil!
IL isn’t always correct but if you can land a 4 star Il kid to show up that’s quite a haul.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:13 pm IL isn’t always correct but if you can land a 4 star Il kid to show up that’s quite a haul.
Met parents and player last night. Quite pleasant.

VMI will improve this year for three reasons.

1. Continuity of coaching staff/systems.
2. Addition by subtraction.
3. Highest rated incoming players are in highest need areas.

Yes this is VMI and yes there are many needs but from where they were 4 years ago to where they are today is quite the improvement. Of course it needs to be reflected in W/L’s.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:38 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:13 pm IL isn’t always correct but if you can land a 4 star Il kid to show up that’s quite a haul.
Met parents and player last night. Quite pleasant.

VMI will improve this year for three reasons.

1. Continuity of coaching staff/systems.
2. Addition by subtraction.
3. Highest rated incoming players are in highest need areas.

Yes this is VMI and yes there are many needs but from where they were 4 years ago to where they are today is quite the improvement. Of course it needs to be reflected in W/L’s.
Wasn’t there a fan a year or two back angry the middie from Tx took too many shots but he ended up doing pretty well?
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:15 pm
Wasn’t there a fan a year or two back angry the middie from Tx took too many shots but he ended up doing pretty well?
I am going to answer your question from the word middie to the end of the sentence. I am by no means immune to typos but I have no idea what the first half of the sentence is supposed to say.

I believe you are referring to Ryan Perouty from Dallas Episcopal (good memory on your part). Very good first step.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:51 am
I am going to answer your question from the word middie to the end of the sentence. I am by no means immune to typos but I have no idea what the first half of the sentence is supposed to say.

I believe you are referring to Ryan Perouty from Dallas Episcopal (good memory on your part). Very good first step.
Was there another good one from there? maybe named Wes sanders? We all are prone I just recall someone not happy with the volume of shots the kids FR/SO yrs but he ended up having a nice career.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Yes Wes Sanders from Austin. .25 shog percent. Led team in shots for three years.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:46 pm Yes Wes Sanders from Austin. .25 shog percent. Led team in shots for three years.
Thanks always pay a little attention we played you guys once like a decade ago and I had just moved to Atlanta to it was one of the closer drives to see a game first few years south as I’m basically the pre-eminent expert on I-81 from where it meets with 77 around Wytheville up to Binghamton, NY now. Ended up going to a game vs Bellarmine in Lousiville instead due to some business I had in Dayton and just came down that way back and met up w wife in Louisvlle but still love your neck of the country.

We have reduced our travel budget last couple of years so highly doubtful but would be fun 1 and 1 just to get to a different part of the country and I don’t see UVA in our future.
old man

Post by old man »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:56 pm Well, on paper the incoming class looks good and numerous. 24 recruits listed including 3 transfers, 4 AA and an IL 4 star.

Of those 3 transfers I have a DARK HORSE in that pack who will reap massive rewards for VMI on & off the field:

G Trey Reimann (Hampton / Pearland, TX)

Not many people know this but he spent the entire covid years training & competing & winning MMA fights.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old man wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:52 pm

Of those 3 transfers I have a DARK HORSE in that pack who will reap massive rewards for VMI on & off the field:

G Trey Reimann (Hampton / Pearland, TX)

Not many people know this but he spent the entire covid years training & competing & winning MMA fights.
Cool story.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hang around the crease too much and end up in a grapevine combined with a rear naked chokehold.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:51 am

Perouty went to Episcopal High School - which is in Houston Texas. (The Episcopal School of Dallas is a different school (ESD) - this would be like saying a VES kid went to Episcopal (Alexandria).
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

who is the IL 4 star recruit?

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/team/commits/vmi/2021
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

boredatwork wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:36 am

Porter Lewis. I know this will surprise you, IL's list is both wrong (listed players who are not coming to VMI) and incomplete (missing at least 6 players from my count). If you look at the archived Salisbury commitments from last year you will see him IL rated at 4 stars coming out of St. Chris.

Not hitting IL though, they are dependent on information that is difficult for them to verify.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:59 am
boredatwork wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:36 am

Porter Lewis. I know this will surprise you, IL's list is both wrong (listed players who are not coming to VMI) and incomplete (missing at least 6 players from my count). If you look at the archived Salisbury commitments from last year you will see him IL rated at 4 stars coming out of St. Chris.

Not hitting IL though, they are dependent on information that is difficult for them to verify.
This kid who’s got USMA next to his name? Looks like he also was committed to Furman at one point.

https://mobile.twitter.com/porterlewis9?lang=en

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”