All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

jhu72

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:14 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:27 am Wife received notice this AM that one of her patients (unvaccinated 10 year old) she had very close recent contact with tested + for DELTA. Her healthcare employer is not requiring quarantine or testing, just pay attention for possible symptoms. Obviously wife is vaccinated; in early February.
ugh; fingers crossed.
... we are not too concerned. Both in good health even considering age. I am more concerned that we should probably stay away from our 4 month old granddaughter for the next few days.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
ggait

Post by ggait »

... we are not too concerned. Both in good health even considering age. I am more concerned that we should probably stay away from our 4 month old granddaughter for the next few days.
I wish they'd come up with a different term for "breakthrough infections."

Since a vaccinated person testing positive for the virus almost never means you get serious Covid disease. Seems like almost all NY Yankees and US Senators have "gotten Covid" and none have turned out badly. But you are wise to steer clear of the kids.

Which, of course, is why we need fully vaxed teachers and masks in schools. There's 48 million kids under 12 in the USA. The single largest demo of unvaxed (through no fault of their own).

If you are not backing shots and masks, you just don't give a shirt about killing kids. It is just that simple. Muh ruy-iots my ass.
Boycott stupid. Country over party.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

ggait wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:53 pm
I wish they'd come up with a different term for "breakthrough infections."

Since a vaccinated person testing positive for the virus almost never means you get serious Covid disease. Seems like almost all NY Yankees and US Senators have "gotten Covid" and none have turned out badly. But you are wise to steer clear of the kids.

Which, of course, is why we need fully vaxed teachers and masks in schools. There's 48 million kids under 12 in the USA. The single largest demo of unvaxed (through no fault of their own).

If you are not backing shots and masks, you just don't give a shirt about killing kids. It is just that simple. Muh ruy-iots my ass.
I wish more of them would embrace the Fifth Amendment -- the right to shut the f&&k up!! If there were any logic involved, shouldn't that have been the First Amendment?

The ordination of the Bill of Rights is certainly interesting, isn't it?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:15 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:58 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:47 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:16 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:43 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:37 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:23 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:16 pm at least football is outdoors.
We can choose to reduce risk, if not eliminate risk. Lots of things we do is by choice. Not necessity. But my lifestyle is fairly simple. I don’t need much nor do I have much of a need to be served or entertained. Anyway….we will get through it.
We can’t eliminate risk and live life really. But reduce, mitigate and manage for sure.
Exactly. I don’t need to sit around a bar eating and drinking or being served “inside” a restaurant. Those are luxuries.
I will NEVER pay the Uber Eats/Lyft whatever bs delivery markup. NEVER.
I have never used those services. I call ahead and pick up. I do eat outside at a restaurant now that I am fully vaccinated but even now I am starting to re-think it until cases start to fall off and / or I get boosted.
We’re going to have a dozen kids over on Sunday for my sons birthday party. We’ve asked them to mask inside for the science part of the party and they get tested daily at school.

I’ve also had to take probably 20 flights in the last 15-18mo for business...
Mask inside and keep the windows open. It should be fine.
We have French doors in back of house and nice flow from these 100yr old pocket doors between living and dining rooms, one of those old swinging both ways doors into kitchen to back opening but windows may be tough right now here.

More saying I do a decent bit but I’m not as good as you and many. Little looser especially as I weigh very real and potentially consequential risks against similarly real costly and consequential costs to how much time I have to flip my now 7 and about to be 9yr olds lives upside down between all my other partially and fully created messes and 18mo of Covid plus the stuff w their grandmother dying, so I let my general circle which I would characterize as left of me in the school/friends of kids parents part of my life, kind of lead the path and I adjust from there. Ie if 12/13 weren’t said no to coming or expressed any ideas or concerns I’d have taken that into account given where there biases and general philosophy lies relative to mine. Could criticize that approach but kind of how let this stuff happen last few months since vaccination.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:03 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:15 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:58 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:47 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:16 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:43 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:37 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:23 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:16 pm at least football is outdoors.
We can choose to reduce risk, if not eliminate risk. Lots of things we do is by choice. Not necessity. But my lifestyle is fairly simple. I don’t need much nor do I have much of a need to be served or entertained. Anyway….we will get through it.
We can’t eliminate risk and live life really. But reduce, mitigate and manage for sure.
Exactly. I don’t need to sit around a bar eating and drinking or being served “inside” a restaurant. Those are luxuries.
I will NEVER pay the Uber Eats/Lyft whatever bs delivery markup. NEVER.
I have never used those services. I call ahead and pick up. I do eat outside at a restaurant now that I am fully vaccinated but even now I am starting to re-think it until cases start to fall off and / or I get boosted.
We’re going to have a dozen kids over on Sunday for my sons birthday party. We’ve asked them to mask inside for the science part of the party and they get tested daily at school.

I’ve also had to take probably 20 flights in the last 15-18mo for business...
Mask inside and keep the windows open. It should be fine.
We have French doors in back of house and nice flow from these 100yr old pocket doors between living and dining rooms, one of those old swinging both ways doors into kitchen to back opening but windows may be tough right now here.

More saying I do a decent bit but I’m not as good as you and many. Little looser especially as I weigh very real and potentially consequential risks against similarly real costly and consequential costs to how much time I have to flip my now 7 and about to be 9yr olds lives upside down between all my other partially and fully created messes and 18mo of Covid plus the stuff w their grandmother dying, so I let my general circle which I would characterize as left of me in the school/friends of kids parents part of my life, kind of lead the path and I adjust from there. Ie if 12/13 weren’t said no to coming or expressed any ideas or concerns I’d have taken that into account given where there buses and general philosophy lies relative to mine. Could criticize that approach but kind of how let this stuff happen last few months since vaccination.
Like many things, manage the risk as best you can as often as you can. If parents have been vaccinated and air flow is good, risk is lower. My nephew was recently diagnosed with COVID. He passed it on to his wife but not his kids. He wasn’t vaccinated but his wife was. She tested positive and has mild symptoms. He thought he was going to die. He’s in Dallas and running around like a lot of Texans. He learned his lesson the hard way.
“I wish you would!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Remind me again why capitalism is so favored?

"For weeks in June and July, workers at a Maine factory making one of America’s most popular rapid tests for Covid-19 were given a task that shocked them: take apart millions of the products they had worked so hard to create and stuff them into garbage bags.

Soon afterward, Andy Wilkinson, a site manager for Abbott Laboratories, the manufacturer, stood before rows of employees to announce layoffs. The company canceled contracts with suppliers and shuttered the only other plant making the test, in Illinois, dismissing a work force of 2,000. “The numbers are going down,” he told the workers of the demand for testing, saying it wasn’t their fault. “This is all about money.”'

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/20/us/a ... tests.html

What is it with that name Abbott?

We are going to need to tighten up and fly right if we want to survive as a species.

Mr. Ford is a real piece of merde.

'“I would just caution in terms of using the word ‘destroy’ because it kind of gives a sense here that we’ve got all these tests that were in packages and we threw them away,” he added.

Asked why the materials needed to be thrown away, Mr. Ford cited a limited shelf life. But photographs of some of the estimated 8.6 million Abbott test cards that employees said were shredded show expiration dates that were more than seven months away.'

F8ck him and the horse he rode in on. Waste of space and oxygen. He's outlived his sell by date.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

A Republican Party chair from South Carolina died of COVID this week. Pressley Stutts, the chair of the Greenville County Republican Party in South Carolina, had made numerous social media posts talking about "freedom" of individuals to wear masks or to not wear masks, and also praised the South Carolina legislature for NOT implementing a mask mandate. He also posted a meme in recent months saying that the "Delta Variant" was "code" for "people aren't scared enough." It is hard to keep track of how many deaths like this there have been

Sad. But you know the old story: God punishes.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Typical Lax Dad

Keep Moving Nothing to See Here

Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer is asking residents to conserve water because liquid oxygen, used to treat the community's water supply, is needed to treat the surge of Covid-19 patients in the community.
“I wish you would!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:46 pm Keep Moving Nothing to See Here

Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer is asking residents to conserve water because liquid oxygen, used to treat the community's water supply, is needed to treat the surge of Covid-19 patients in the community.
Starting to resemble India. Funeral pyres up next?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:46 pm Keep Moving Nothing to See Here

Jesus two very close friends live in the orlando area - Longwood to the north and Berkeley Park (basically winter park) slightly north.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

https://www.npr.org/sections/back-to-sc ... ool-sports

diblasio showing off his scientist chops and mandating vaxxes for "high risk" sports like lax. if you told me 2 years ago mayors had some sort of juice to mandate anything for hs sports, i'dve given you 1000 to 1.

staff and students in classes can still say whatev.

i'm with tld, looks like we'll get thru it.

#science
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:01 pm https://www.npr.org/sections/back-to-sc ... ool-sports

diblasio showing off his scientist chops and mandating vaxxes for "high risk" sports like lax. if you told me 2 years ago mayors had some sort of juice to mandate anything for hs sports, i'dve given you 1000 to 1.

staff and students in classes can still say whatev.

i'm with tld, looks like we'll get thru it.

#science
https://news.yahoo.com/university-virgi ... _9qXZngjw9

Keep them off the “grounds”…..let them walk amongst the freaks and lepers!
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

The Messiest Phase of the Pandemic Yet

Coronavirus data have always been incomplete—but the situation in America is particularly murky now.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... ket-newtab
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

tech37 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:53 am The Messiest Phase of the Pandemic Yet

Coronavirus data have always been incomplete—but the situation in America is particularly murky now.

Thanks!
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Excellent article; easily understood, addresses many of the questions most of us have. Thanks for posting.

What a terrific magazine The Atlantic continues to be. While no publication achieves perfection, and certainly they're had their share of embarrassments, it continues to be one of the vey most readable and reliably informative, longer form journalism publications out there.

On the virus, sounds like we're in for a continuing rough ride with Delta, but some areas may ride it with less negative outcomes ala Great Britain.

While there were a couple of mentions of varying mitigation strategies other than vaccinations (meaning masks, distancing) and the impact of politics, the author didn't get into the implications of when there remains a large cohort of unvaccinated coupled with low masking conformity from others, including those vaccinated...but I think we can infer what this all means from this and other articles.

Vaccinated folks and those who have some degree of immunity from prior infection can continue to get and spread the Delta virus, though they themselves are far less likely to need to be hospitalized. The few hospitalized tend to be only some of the most vulnerable physically (diabetes, heart disease, etc). but it happens. Implication for masks being that masks are needed to reduce their likelihood of spreading the virus, if infected, and to reduce likelihood of being infected. Doing it for others.

Unvaccinated are quite at risk for being infected, spreading, and being hospitalized...across age sectors, though continuing skewing of risk of hospitalization. But very high rates of disease result in high levels of hospitalization, including among children.
Implication 1, get vaccinated. Implication 2 for masks, wear masks whether not vaccinated or if vaccinated...

Get vaccinated...sounds like Moderna may prove to be best choice. But unclear.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Another skeptic bites the dust:

Nashville radio host Phil Valentine dies at 61 after battling COVID-19

Outspoken vaccine skeptic Phil Valentine has died a month after his COVID-19 diagnosis captured national attention and led to his public change of heart on vaccines.

"We are saddened to report that our host and friend Phil Valentine has passed away," Super Talk 99.7, who employed the popular conservative talk radio host, wrote on Twitter on Saturday. "Please keep the Valentine family in your thoughts and prayers."

Valentine, 61, announced on Facebook on July 11 he had COVID-19 and predicted he would survive. Days later, Valentine's relatives said he was very sick, and he wanted listeners to get vaccinated against COVID-19.

(...)

Valentine, a radio personality since he was 20, became a popular conservative Nashville talk show host in 2001 by railing against a state income tax proposed then by Republican Gov. Don Sundquist.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/entert ... 416955001/

and another one's gone

it would be so much better if these cynics would learn to conform - it's for their own good
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:46 am Another skeptic bites the dust:

Nashville radio host Phil Valentine dies at 61 after battling COVID-19

Outspoken vaccine skeptic Phil Valentine has died a month after his COVID-19 diagnosis captured national attention and led to his public change of heart on vaccines.

"We are saddened to report that our host and friend Phil Valentine has passed away," Super Talk 99.7, who employed the popular conservative talk radio host, wrote on Twitter on Saturday. "Please keep the Valentine family in your thoughts and prayers."

Valentine, 61, announced on Facebook on July 11 he had COVID-19 and predicted he would survive. Days later, Valentine's relatives said he was very sick, and he wanted listeners to get vaccinated against COVID-19.

(...)

Valentine, a radio personality since he was 20, became a popular conservative Nashville talk show host in 2001 by railing against a state income tax proposed then by Republican Gov. Don Sundquist.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/entert ... 416955001/

and another one's gone

it would be so much better if these cynics would learn to conform - it's for their own good
One less MTG/Tubberville/Mo Brooks/Gun chick in Co, baBert or whatever vote in Nashville - a fast growing northern net migration city...
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:09 am

Thanks!
they touch on one thing repeatedly. that there has been so much varying and confounding results it's been very difficult to predict what's next, and where, and to what degree. the alpha michigan thing might be the weirdest.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... han-double
wisco showing july results of about 79% protection from hospitalization, similar infection # protection, and still over 90% death protection. don't know for sure if that's all raw # and not stratified for age, but it sounds like it is (per 100k). so real protection in july is maybe higher.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

T - 2:21 until kids party in crib. 14 kids now, some parents plus the two science guys. We will see what goes down. I’m mostly going to eat.

Separately was thinking how come no one has done some remake of Busta Rhymes old song Woo Ha I got You All In Check w like Biden’s facing wording the song and tweak to make the word Wuhan? Would be pretty funny.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EQzvQO2LcA4
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:11 am T - 2:21 until kids party in crib. 14 kids now, some parents plus the two science guys. We will see what goes down. I’m mostly going to eat.

Separately was thinking how come no one has done some remake of Busta Rhymes old song Woo Ha I got You All In Check w like Biden’s facing wording the song and tweak to make the word Wuhan? Would be pretty funny.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EQzvQO2LcA4
You can come in and rock the party with the Dad's by doing this: https://www.instagram.com/p/CSccPF-pPzJ ... _copy_link
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “POLITICS”