Who is supporting the immigrant caravan?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
kramerica.inc

Re: Who is supporting the immigrant caravan?

Post by kramerica.inc »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:57 pm No sure what gay men have to do with the immigrant caravan, but in my experience with my two son's high school friends, some who are gay (all out while in HS), the young men were models of desirable behavior. Pleasant, smart, caring, helpful. A joy to be around. Every mother's dream son. These young men still visit our home from time to time. My 3 kids all had a wide circle of friends in HS, LGB, straight, athletes, nerds, all races, all ethnicities, all religions. None of these kids seemed to give a care about the differences in backgrounds. A much different experience from my HS experience where their was very little "visible" diversity, and the only diversity generally recognized was of the religious variety.
I'm glad your son was able to make up for your intolerance, and what the kids these days call, "plain-ness" in high school. I'm doubly excited that you shared it with the group.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:47 am
Brooklyn wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:44 pm News report indicates that the USA is going to allow thousands of new immigrants from Afghanistan. Where's the outrage from the right wingers who say we don't need new immigrants?

At this stage, with millions crossing into the US from Mexico, no one would even notice a few thousand afghanis.

The question I have of Democrats is: are you really okay with a borderless America? So far as I can tell, America no longer cares who comes into our country. It’s open borders on the southern line. No one is turned back.

On the contrary, the government is turning back people:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/02/us/p ... covid.html

Please get your facts straight.

Now let's see the government do the same to Afghanis seeking to enter.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

old salt wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:19 am
Brooklyn wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:44 pm News report indicates that the USA is going to allow thousands of new immigrants from Afghanistan. Where's the outrage from the right wingers who say we don't need new immigrants?
The same place it was when we welcomed Vietnamese refugees after we withdrew from Vietnam.

The USA has fomented so much war and political discord in Central and South America. Based on the Vietnam war example, the government should welcome people from those countries just as it did with Nam, Cambodia, Laos, and all of Southeast Asia.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:30 am Body cameras are coming to the border.
IS that what Kamala did not go.....she can now just watch videos? :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Ok now forum right wingers, which of you are supporting the immigrant caravan from Afghanistan?

If you approve of their entry here, then you have no valid objections to Latins crossing the border into our Southwestern states.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Are you six? 🤷‍♂️
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:32 pm Are you six? 🤷‍♂️
There was a guy
An underwater guy who controlled the sea
Got killed by ten million pounds of sludge from New York and New Jersey
This monkey's gone to heaven
The creature in the sky
Got sucked in a hole, now there's a hole in the sky
And the ground's not cold
And if the ground's not cold, everything is gonna burn
We'll all take turns
I'll get mine too
Rock me, Joe
If man is five
If man is five
If man is five
Then the devil is six
Then the devil is six
Then the devil is six
Then the devil is six
And if the devil is six

Then God is seven
Then God is seven
Then God is seven
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Again, where are the forum right wingers who say I engage in trolling and refusing to make substantive comments on posts? Why don't these right wingers impose their standards and make criticisms on a uniform basis?

MDlaxfan76?
seacoaster?
tech37?

In the Politics of National Security thread you were very vocal about alleged "trolling". How about applying your standards here?

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Few women were seen in photo inside US military plane leaving Afghanistan. Why is that?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/few-w ... d=msedgntp

As the Taliban strengthened their control of Afghanistan by seizing control of Kabul, numerous people have flocked to Hamid Karzai International Airport in the capital city in hopes of being able to leave the country.

In photos and video taken from the airport, hundreds of people can be seen trying to climb up the stairs or attempt to board a U.S. military jet already attempting to leave the runway. The situation, which President Joe Biden described as "gut-wrenching," resulted in at least seven deaths.

But more than 600 Afghans were able to board a departing U.S. Air Force plane Sunday night headed to Qatar. Images of the packed aircraft circulated on social media, and while many people praised the pilots and hope for people seeking refuge, some noticed the lack of women and children aboard the plane.

The lack of women aboard may be a result of fears of the Taliban, however.

Shirin Karimi, 32, said her sister, brother-in-law and two children were at the airport in Kabul, hoping to leave the country. Karimi, who came to the U.S. in 2016, said she has seen videos and photos of women and children at the airport, but said she has some female friends staying inside of their houses because of the strict rules that they face under the Taliban. Some of them are also afraid of what could happen to them ...

more ...

or, is there a possibility that the majority of Afghan women favor the Taliban?

After all, for years we have been told that Islam is inherently sexist and mistreats women. Yet, the vast majority of converts to Islam in the USA and Europe are women. These women do not find the religion to be sexist or abusive at all. My neighborhood has a great many Muslims from East Africa. I have never known any who has ever complained that their religion is sexist.

PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:28 pm Few women were seen in photo inside US military plane leaving Afghanistan. Why is that?

As the Taliban strengthened their control of Afghanistan by seizing control of Kabul, numerous people have flocked to Hamid Karzai International Airport in the capital city in hopes of being able to leave the country.

In photos and video taken from the airport, hundreds of people can be seen trying to climb up the stairs or attempt to board a U.S. military jet already attempting to leave the runway. The situation, which President Joe Biden described as "gut-wrenching," resulted in at least seven deaths.

But more than 600 Afghans were able to board a departing U.S. Air Force plane Sunday night headed to Qatar. Images of the packed aircraft circulated on social media, and while many people praised the pilots and hope for people seeking refuge, some noticed the lack of women and children aboard the plane.

Shirin Karimi, 32, said her sister, brother-in-law and two children were at the airport in Kabul, hoping to leave the country. Karimi, who came to the U.S. in 2016, said she has seen videos and photos of women and children at the airport, but said she has some female friends staying inside of their houses because of the strict rules that they face under the Taliban. Some of them are also afraid of what could happen to them ...

more ...

After all, for years we have been told that Islam is inherently sexist and mistreats women. Yet, the vast majority of converts to Islam in the USA and Europe are women. These women do not find the religion to be sexist or abusive at all. My neighborhood has a great many Muslims from East Africa. I have never known any who has ever complained that their religion is sexist.
Maybe. But I doubt it. Social and religious conditioning give rise to many things that are incomprehensible and inscrutable to the uninitiated.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:19 pm

Again, where are the forum right wingers who say I engage in trolling and refusing to make substantive comments on posts? Why don't these right wingers impose their standards and make criticisms on a uniform basis?

MDlaxfan76?
seacoaster?
tech37?

In the Politics of National Security thread you were very vocal about alleged "trolling". How about applying your standards here?
Not trolling at all, quite the contrary. What you are doing is trolling, borderline gaslighting an entire group of people with your constant name calling and innuendo. Stopping in on threads just to throw a grenade over the wall that seldom contributes to the conversation at hand. Look in the mirror, respectfully.
~Livy

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

MDlaxfan76?
seacoaster?
tech37?

You're calling seacoaster and me "right wingers"???

I just tuned into this thread; I'll edit this response if I think I see "trolling" not objected to.

EDIT: Nope, though the closest I see to that Brooklyn, is your conflating of Afghan refugees and immigrants coming across the southern border. Pretty extreme conflation, obviously intended to get a rise out of others. Not that there isn't a valid discussion to be had about fleeing likely imminent death versus the numerous reasons why immigrants seek better lives in America (including fleeing potential death!), but an extreme way to start such a discussion.

I don't think youth's response was trolling, just a sharp retort. The crack about VP Harris was uncalled for, but dumb (IMO) posts aren't really "trolling".

The posts earlier in the month does include the 'gator troll', who would be correctly called "right wing"; he is in an extended penalty box visit.

Not sure what you're complaining about.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:49 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:28 pm Few women were seen in photo inside US military plane leaving Afghanistan. Why is that?

more ...

Maybe. But I doubt it. Social and religious conditioning give rise to many things that are incomprehensible and inscrutable to the uninitiated.
And which by most standards, some of these practices, under American law would certainly be described as "abusive"...but note, these are not really based in the religion, but rather in the social practices of the region. Christian women in certain parts of the world are subject to the same abuses, vaginal mutilation, rape laws, etc. Under the guise of religion. Religion is merely the tool not the actual source of the subjugation and abuse.

So, Islam as most typically practiced in the US is far more akin to American mores and social practices. Much different than those that were and likely will be again suffered at the hands of the Taliban.

IMO, it's rather nonsensical, and bordering on really, really offensive to suggest that Afghan women, more than Afghan men, are looking forward to Taliban rule.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

EDIT: Nope, though the closest I see to that Brooklyn, is your conflating of Afghan refugees and immigrants coming across the southern border. Pretty extreme conflation, obviously intended to get a rise out of others. Not that there isn't a valid discussion to be had about fleeing likely imminent death versus the numerous reasons why immigrants seek better lives in America (including fleeing potential death!), but an extreme way to start such a discussion.

I don't think youth's response was trolling, just a sharp retort. The crack about VP Harris was uncalled for, but dumb (IMO) posts aren't really "trolling".

No surprise at the double standards.

The fact remains that a great many at the southern border are there to escape anarchy or political persecution and facing "imminent death" in Central America:

https://www.rescue.org/article/what-hap ... ern-border

The majority come from Mexico and the northern Central American countries of Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador. Asylum seekers are also fleeing violence and persecution in countries such as Cuba, Brazil, India, Haiti and African countries, such as Eritrea, Ghana, Ethiopia and Cameroon.

Many "fleeing ethnic cleansing and political volatility in their respective countries"

https://www.ncronline.org/news/people/u ... ed-options

Precisely the same type of trouble they have in Afghanistan. Many (if not all) of these people are facing political persecution and imminent death (the standards you mentioned). It's just not being reported that way by the news media. Surely anyone over "six" can readily understand all that. Therefore the point I made was a perfectly valid issue which was answered by trolling.

kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:56 am

MDlaxfan76?
seacoaster?
tech37?

Not trolling at all, quite the contrary. What you are doing is trolling, borderline gaslighting an entire group of people with your constant name calling and innuendo. Stopping in on threads just to throw a grenade over the wall that seldom contributes to the conversation at hand. Look in the mirror, respectfully.
Please stop quoting the troll. Ignore doesn't work when you quote him.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

MDlaxfan76?
seacoaster?
tech37?

No one has ever called me a "right winger" before. Not sure how to feel. Probably need a couple of beers to think it over. When's lunch?
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:09 am

MDlaxfan76?
seacoaster?
tech37?

No one has ever called me a "right winger" before. Not sure how to feel. Probably need a couple of beers to think it over. When's lunch?
Nah, if you were a "right-winger" that would be two martinis, dry...
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:09 am No one has ever called me a "right winger" before. Not sure how to feel. Probably need a couple of beers to think it over. When's lunch?

viewtopic.php?p=285847#p285847

Well you know some folks would call it flattery. ;)

But my reference was to your comment about me "I am just saying that there is no effort at discussion, only indictment based on a false narrative."

I see no such reply to the matter of "being six". No effort at discussion, just innuendo. Let's see you direct the words "there is no effort at discussion" to him just to set the record straight.

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:02 am

No surprise at the double standards.

The fact remains that a great many at the southern border are there to escape anarchy or political persecution and facing "imminent death" in Central America:

https://www.rescue.org/article/what-hap ... ern-border

The majority come from Mexico and the northern Central American countries of Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador. Asylum seekers are also fleeing violence and persecution in countries such as Cuba, Brazil, India, Haiti and African countries, such as Eritrea, Ghana, Ethiopia and Cameroon.

Many "fleeing ethnic cleansing and political volatility in their respective countries"

https://www.ncronline.org/news/people/u ... ed-options

Precisely the same type of trouble they have in Afghanistan. Many (if not all) of these people are facing political persecution and imminent death (the standards you mentioned). It's just not being reported that way by the news media. Surely anyone over "six" can readily understand all that. Therefore the point I made was a perfectly valid issue which was answered by trolling.
Point to the specific "trolling" you saw in response...a sharp retort??

Again, I agree that there's a reasonable discussion of the issues facing immigrants from Central and South America. But the way you conflated, and suggest equivalency of, these groups is not nearly as crystal clear as you suggest...some, but nearly all of the immigrants from the south face the sorts of persecution and actual imminent death, but most would be seeking a safer, more prosperous life in the US...not fleeing imminent death. I'm not arguing against a more generous asylum position for the immigrants from the south, but I don't think we should equate those fleeing Afghanistan specifically for having supported and assisted American forces there these past 20 years with those fleeing poverty, crime and corruption. Not the same.

And note, there's a bunch of right wing a-holes who want to deny the Afghans from entry here as well, regardless of all they did to help our troops...they're actually "consistent" in their disdain for anyone not born here, of a different color or creed than themselves.

Return to “POLITICS”