All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

Typical Lax Dad

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:17 am Interestingly, a friend got Covid. Had a myriad of health issues for the past 10 mos. Debilitating and long term for his respiratory, immune system and blood. No cures found, ever shifting symptoms. But he's on his feet. Now his employer is mandating everyone to get a vaccine. Due to his current state and the way the virus messed up his immune system, DRs are advising him any of the vaccines would likely kill him.

What's the solution for the employer?
I believe if you have a medical issue diagnosed by your physician, you are likely to get an exemption. His doctor is advising him to get vaccinated?
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:30 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:17 am Interestingly, a friend got Covid. Had a myriad of health issues for the past 10 mos. Debilitating and long term for his respiratory, immune system and blood. No cures found, ever shifting symptoms. But he's on his feet. Now his employer is mandating everyone to get a vaccine. Due to his current state and the way the virus messed up his immune system, DRs are advising him any of the vaccines would likely kill him.

I believe if you have a medical issue diagnosed by your physician, you are likely to get an exemption. His doctor is advising him to get vaccinated?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Bart

Post by Bart »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:48 am
Bart wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:04 am An interesting take on the data for waning efficacy in Israel.

https://www.covid-datascience.com/post/ ... vaccinated
thanks, bart. excellent article for the amateurs out here like me. had been searching out israel results and takes more than others as they were 1st to bat (although some confounding on past disease, one shotters and boosters as he mentions). but as they're in a surge, we're fortunate to have their info. small country so death data maybe won't be as good (but good for them). hopefully any waning is muted, and numbers like 80s and 90s % can stick.
Sure. I thought you might be interested. I hope the 80’s and 90’s stick as well. Seems unsettled at this point, I know thanks Capt Obvious.

I lined the graphical presentation of Simpson’s Paradox.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:39 am

I think he meant 'not vaccinated'.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

What is going on in Sweden?

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:39 am

I saw that. I thought DRs was a generic term and not his doctors. Did he ask his doctor why he is recommending vaccination given his circumstances? And if so, what was his doctor’s rationale?
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:06 am What is going on in Sweden?

summer is good to them?
ggait

Post by ggait »

Same thing as happening in Denmark (1), Norway (1) and Finland (2). And Vermont (0), Maine (1) and NH (1).

Decent amount of vaccinations and immunity via prior infections. 80% of adults in Sweden have had at least one dose. USA is 70%.

Warm weather, people outside during the summer.

Covid restrictions still in place.

Swedes had announced they were going to lift all Covid restrictions in September. That is unlikely to happen. Instead, the gov't is seeking legislation to extend the legal authority for Covid restrictions into 2022. So probably increased Covid restrictions will be imposed for the fall as the weather cools off and cases rise.
Boycott stupid. Country over party.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ggait wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:30 am Same thing as happening in Denmark (1), Norway (1) and Finland (2). And Vermont (0).

Decent amount of vaccinations and immunity via prior infections. 80% of adults in Sweden have had at least one dose. USA is 70%.

Warm weather, people outside during the summer.

Covid restrictions still in place.

Swedes had announced they were going to lift all Covid restrictions in September. That is unlikely to happen. Instead, the gov't is seeking legislation to extend the legal authority for Covid restrictions into 2022. So probably increased Covid restrictions will be imposed for the fall as the weather cools off.
Did you read this article from Bart earlier? Seems vaccines work but Sweden is not much different than the US in vaccine rate. NOt sure whre you got your 80% vaccine rate in Sweden: https://www.google.com/search?q=sweden+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
~Livy

Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:24 am
youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:06 am What is going on in Sweden?

summer is good to them?
How is Norway and Finland doing?
“I wish you would!”
ggait

Post by ggait »

Adults with at least one dose in Sweden is 80%. 70% in the USA. Sweden is more vaxed than the USA overall. They have long since moved on from their early days of just leting it rip.

Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Norway all look the same. And all those countries look the same as Vermont, Maine and NH.

High vax rates, people outside in the summer.

The USA regions that are hot with Covid right now are (i) low vax regions and (ii) hot in the summer. Which means folks are more indoors in AC. Virus spreads mostly indoors. VT adult one dose percentage is 86.1%; LA is 58.3%, AL 57.5%.

Pretty simple stuff YA.

12 August 2021
14:39 CEST

Updated
12 August 2021
15:58 CEST

The number of new deaths is still very low at the moment, which is due to the high vaccination rate. More than 90 percent of people aged over 60 have had their first dose, according to the Public Health Agency’s data (you can find more data here, in Swedish). In the adult population as a whole, more than 80 percent have had their first dose and more than 57 percent are fully vaccinated.

But the number of people in intensive care is increasing slightly, said Byfors.

Prime Minister Stefan Löfven was joined by Health Minister Lena Hallengren and Public Health Agency director-general Johan Carlson at a press conference later on Thursday. They were expected to announce Sweden’s plan for Covid restrictions in autumn, but said they had no news on this yet. But Löfven said the government would ask parliament to extend the temporary Pandemic Law until January 2022 – this law does not do anything in and of itself, but it gives the government extra powers to make decisions to curb the spread of coronavirus.

The government has previously said it would lift the next round of Covid restrictions at some point in September, but that this depends on the rate of infection and vaccination, as well as the burden on the healthcare sector. If it were to go ahead, it would include removing the limit on the number of people allowed at public events, and removing the rules for restaurants and bars, including indoor areas.

https://www.thelocal.com/20210812/in-nu ... in-sweden/
Last edited by ggait on Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Boycott stupid. Country over party.
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:01 am

With very high vaccination rates among the most vulnerable, we would indeed expect fewer negative outcomes per infection with delta than alpha. But delta does seem to be having much more impact among younger people than alpha, with many more negative outcomes, hospitalizations etc. But this may simply be because delta is spreading so easily and getting to more people who will have a bad reaction...or it may be that delta is actually tougher on young than alpha...I don't think we know that just yet.

But don't in the slightest think that someone who one would think could have a bad reaction doesn't means that delta is actually less deadly. Or that the next person in the same situation wouldn't have a very different outcome.
vive la différence!

Something to remember when we get bogged down in the incomplete and non-definitive data: we don't know much about the virus (described by some as a vascular disease due to commonality of inflammation and knock-on effects), how it works, and particularly much of anything about an individual's physiology (exacerbated by the non-representative sample of most clinical trials and studies).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7556303/

Or, to put in it the vernacular: we don't know shite and are guessing about most of it. Waiting for conclusive data and understanding is a deadly strategy.

"No user serviceable parts inside..."
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:30 am
SCLaxAttack wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:27 am

I haven’t heard or read of a single instance of a mandatory vaccine rule for employment not having exceptions for medical or religious grounds.

I’m guessing a doctor’s note will suffice.
Yup, as long as it's not a quack doc...but sounds like the friend has a legit issue.
So, fall back is regular testing.
It's an odd, unfortunate situation. He's a teacher at a private school, so he could get an exemption, I guess. But transmission/risk for him and others is an issue.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Stupid is as stupid does ...

Radio Host Who Spread Vaccine Disinformation Dies of Covid

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/8 ... ecommended

Dr. Jimmy DeYoung, Sr., a conservative Christian radio host, has died in Chattanooga of Covid-19, according to his family. “Prophecy Today” was broadcast daily over several hundred stations.

www.thedailybeast.com/

In February, DeYoung published an interview promoting the conspiracy theories that the Pfizer vaccine would make women sterile and that world governments were using the virus and vaccine to centralize power. DeYoung’s guest at the time, Sam Rohrer, said that very few people who were infected lost their lives, calling the vaccine only a “purported solution” and “not truly a vaccine.”

Jimmy DeYoung’s website:

“Jimmy DeYoung is a prophecy teacher and journalist who travels the country and the world educating the Body of Christ of the future events foretold in God's prophetic Word.”

It does not take a doctorate in prophecy to see most of his listeners will be suffering from the same infection.

DeYoung is becoming part of a trend:

bangordailynews.com/…

Dick Farrel, a longtime conservative radio host based in Palm Beach County, Florida, who was skeptical of the seriousness of the coronavirus pandemic and refused to get vaccinated, has died of COVID-19.

Phil Valentine, yet another conservative talk show host in Nashville, is in “grave condition” according to his family. Valentine had been skeptical of Covid vaccines, but his family is now encouraging others to get the shots.

Marc Bernier, a Daytona Beach talk show commentator who has spoken against vaccinations, has been hospitalized for more than a week with Covid.

..... God punishes.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:31 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:30 am
SCLaxAttack wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:27 am

I haven’t heard or read of a single instance of a mandatory vaccine rule for employment not having exceptions for medical or religious grounds.

I’m guessing a doctor’s note will suffice.
Yup, as long as it's not a quack doc...but sounds like the friend has a legit issue.
So, fall back is regular testing.
It's an odd, unfortunate situation. He's a teacher at a private school, so he could get an exemption, I guess. But transmission/risk for him and others is an issue.
Did his doctor say why he recommends it?
“I wish you would!”
lagerhead

Post by lagerhead »

This is not going to help messaging for booster shots.

People with both COVID-19 shots are fully vaccinated without booster, surgeon general says

https://news.yahoo.com/people-both-covi ... soc_trk=ma
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

lagerhead wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:47 pm This is not going to help messaging for booster shots.

People with both COVID-19 shots are fully vaccinated without booster, surgeon general says

I don’t read that as problematic. He said they are considered fully vaccinated. How many folks who went out by mid summer and got vaccinated are untrusting such that they’d read a problem into what he said. Which included comments on “based on the trajectory we believe a booster will ultimately be needed...”. I read this more as confirmation that the booster isn’t considered officially part of the vaccination. If anything a message to the unvaccinated community that “were not going to string you along forever with boosters and we still think the primary shots are sufficient in our official govt view”. He also specifically references Moderna I believe but not J&J or Pfizer (I have Pfizer)
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:48 am
Bart wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:04 am An interesting take on the data for waning efficacy in Israel.

https://www.covid-datascience.com/post/ ... vaccinated
thanks, bart. excellent article for the amateurs out here like me. had been searching out israel results and takes more than others as they were 1st to bat (although some confounding on past disease, one shotters and boosters as he mentions). but as they're in a surge, we're fortunate to have their info. small country so death data maybe won't be as good (but good for them). hopefully any waning is muted, and numbers like 80s and 90s % can stick.
Yes, thanks Bart. It is a good analysis, unfortunately there are some typos and the way he presents his tables sucks. Takes a bit to read it, review the tables and then go back and check the math. Reading the crazy comments helped me figure out his tables. It also shows how easy it is to mess up the math and how many confounding factors there are.

wgsdr, do you agree with his conclusions? Trying to look at the raw data myself, but Google Translate is struggling with ti.
lagerhead

Post by lagerhead »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:55 pm
lagerhead wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:47 pm This is not going to help messaging for booster shots.

I don’t read that as problematic. He said they are considered fully vaccinated. How many folks who went out by mid summer and got vaccinated are untrusting such that they’d read a problem into what he said. Which included comments on “based on the trajectory we believe a booster will ultimately be needed...”. I read this more as confirmation that the booster isn’t considered officially part of the vaccination. If anything a message to the unvaccinated community that “were not going to string you along forever with boosters and we still think the primary shots are sufficient in our official govt view”. He also specifically references Moderna I believe but not J&J or Pfizer (I have Pfizer)
I’ve read and heard this could be a yearly booster. First time I’ve read no need for a booster for those fully vaccinated.

Return to “POLITICS”