~46~ Lame Duck Unfit Uncle Joe Biden ~46~

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
kramerica.inc

Re: ~46~ Creepy Uncle Joe Biden ~46~

Post by kramerica.inc »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:01 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:54 am There are no areas free from crime in Baltimore. There are few sections that aren't bordered by zones with historically high criminal activity. Everyone is effected. Even those in nice old neighborhoods like Homeland. Why would you want to pay the exorbitant Baltimore City taxes but live in an area where you cant walk your neighborhood at night or a block over? Or have to worry about nonstop property crimes?
That's true in all the surrounding counties too Kram.
There's crime, both property and violent, everywhere, no where is exempt.

But, yeah, there are indeed neighborhoods where it must be hellish to be a resident.
There is not historically high crime in surrounding counties.
Still able to keep your door/cars unlocked at night
In Baltimore City, not so much.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

dislaxxic wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:12 pm The truly astonishing thing is that people like Kram think that all that crime in Baltimore is the result of a liberal/Democratic party mindset of some sort...

Direct correlation? Maybe, maybe not.

but I can say that I've seen decades of democrat "solutions" have zero positive impact.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:13 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:54 am There are no areas free from crime in Baltimore. There are few sections that aren't bordered by zones with historically high criminal activity. Everyone is effected. Even those in nice old neighborhoods like Homeland. Why would you want to pay the exorbitant Baltimore City taxes but live in an area where you cant walk your neighborhood at night or a block over? Or have to worry about nonstop property crimes?
You would have to ask all of those people that live there….
I could also ask all the people who have been leaving, on a yearly basis:

https://www.biggestuscities.com/city/baltimore-maryland
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:44 pm

Boarded up buildings in that neighborhood?
“I wish you would!”
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:00 pm

If you consider it's border York Road, yes.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:35 pm

But, yeah, there are indeed neighborhoods where it must be hellish to be a resident.
nope, in much of Baltimore County where I live, most folks need their cars locked, certainly experience property crime, and violent crime as well...even in my very wealthy area, break ins are regularly reported...one of my neighbors was even shot. That said, because of how far set back our home is from the road, with no other ingress or agree for a criminal, we have a relatively safe situation, but only because there are more vulnerable homes to choose from before someone would get to us.

But sure, Baltimore City has way too high a crime rate...serious issue. And after a 20 year decline from the early 90's, the crime rate has increased again, particularly since Freddie Gray in 2015.

It's not ok.
And higher property taxes are certainly not the way to generate the funds necessary to afford better social services and better policing for the most crime ridden neighborhoods. And it's not going to get hugely better without such funding, though I think this Mayor seems to have his head screwed on straight, so fingers crossed that he's an improvement on some of the corruption and incompetence we've seen for a bunch of cycles.

We have a structural funding problem in Maryland, like many states, in which poverty is largely ghettoized and funding flows from real estate taxes to the jurisdictions least in need of government support.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:11 pm

nope, in much of Baltimore County where I live, most folks need their cars locked, certainly experience property crime, and violent crime as well...even in my very wealthy area, break ins are regularly reported...one of my neighbors was even shot. That said, because of how far set back our home is from the road, with no other ingress or agree for a criminal, we have a relatively safe situation, but only because there are more vulnerable homes to choose from before someone would get to us.

But sure, Baltimore City has way too high a crime rate...serious issue. And after a 20 year decline from the early 90's, the crime rate has increased again, particularly since Freddie Gray in 2015.

It's not ok.
And higher property taxes are certainly not the way to generate the funds necessary to afford better social services and better policing for the most crime ridden neighborhoods. And it's not going to get hugely better without such funding, though I think this Mayor seems to have his head screwed on straight, so fingers crossed that he's an improvement on some of the corruption and incompetence we've seen for a bunch of cycles.

We have a structural funding problem in Maryland, like many states, in which poverty is largely ghettoized and funding flows from real estate taxes to the jurisdictions least in need of government support.
Where in Baltimore County do you live?
Baltimore city is literally in a historically bad crime situation right now.
Baltimore County, is about same as it ever was. N and E is good- Sparks, Jacksonville, Monkton, Hereford, Phoenix areas all still open door policy. Get away from any mainline roads and you're generally good to go.

Same for everyone not on I95/Rt 40 in Harford.
Last edited by kramerica.inc on Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:10 pm

Buildings a couple blocks down from Full Tilt are boarded up? Who used to reside there that moved out?
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:10 pm

White, middle and upper class, flight has been brutal for Baltimore City since the the hey day of the early 50's. The improvements in road infrastructure enabling folks to live in the surrounding counties, while working downtown, enjoying the cultural benefits of the City, but not contributing a dime to the City's economic needs, a whirlpool downward...

That said, the City's leadership (bought by wealthy, white real estate interests) made a number of mistakes: they raised residential property taxes in the '80's (whereas SF and Boston, which had worse poverty and crime rates in the 70's went the other way) and gave massive tax breaks for new office development in center core of the city (competing with the Counties) and later on for Harbor East, etc, and for pro sports facilities, all while many of the very largest employers pay no real estate taxes as non-profits and religious institutions, federal and state government buildings, etc.

And a series of Mayors and other political leaders allowed this to happen in return for political patronage freedom that rewarded loyalty rather than competence. That appeared to be "racial" but it was really about pure power patronage. Classic error.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

That intersection at Bellona was always a demarcation line. Turnbridge to Homeland has been crappy for 30+ years. At least on that York Road border.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:16 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:11 pm

It's not ok.

Where in Baltimore County do you live?
Baltimore city is literally in a historically bad crime situation right now.
Baltimore County, is about same as it ever was. N and E is good- Sparks, Jacksonville, Monkton, Hereford, Phoenix areas all still open door policy. Get away from any mainline roads and you're generally good to go.

Same for everyone not on I95/Rt 40 in Harford.
Greenspring Valley.
Sure, if you get out to the rural parts of the County, you're insulated from it to at least some extent. But crime is following the increased density everywhere that density goes up. And you probably know as well as I do all the cornfields being paved over for dense residential development and McMansions, and shopping centers. But hey, flee even further if you'd like.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I worked in Greenspring Valley for many years at a friend's farm. Interesting report. Sad to hear.
I've been in the same spot in Harford Co. for 40 years. Our density has increased a ton.
Went from no one around to literally stopped traffic jams during rush hour and all weekend long. Farms all sold and replaced with townhomes, single family home, big box stores and shopping centers.
Demographics have changed. Can see all the families talking walks and kids on bikes. We are very much a diverse community.
But we haven't seen the crime increase you're referring to. Guess we're just lucky out here in the sticks?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Did anyone consider that migration to other non city areas will drive up taxes exponentially? I’m staring at that about you happen in one of the nicest counties surrounding Atlanta called Cobb Co where there’s was a lot of white flight and now you have transportation a small schooling issues while they floated $400mm to fund that stupid new ballpark for the Braves. Within 5yrs you’re going to see millage rates double.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

The taxes in some of the Baltimore burbs are significantly less than Baltimore City. So even with massive hikes, you're starting well below the level people are leaving. The county where I live is half of what my brother-in-law who lives in Balty City pays. And that's with the massive sprawl we've been experiencing over the past 2 decades. I'm sure those chix will come home to roost and increase soon though. Just a matter of time. But our whole family has been pretty fortunate not to have to commute to Baltimore for a job for the past 40 years. All work locally.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:53 pm The taxes in some of the Baltimore burbs are significantly less than Baltimore City. So even with massive hikes, you're starting well below the level people are leaving. The county where I live is half of what my brother-in-law who lives in Balty City pays. And that's with the massive sprawl we've been experiencing over the past 2 decades. I'm sure those chix will come home to roost and increase soon though. Just a matter of time. But our whole family has been pretty fortunate not to have to commute to Baltimore for a job for the past 40 years. All work locally.
Wife’s uncle lives in Bel Aire and commutes to Bowie daily...I’d rather pay city taxes and take on some crime risk (along with the many benefits of being in a city you don’t seem to ever mention) then do that 100/100 times. The commutes aroudn Atlanta are enough to double suicide rates. 15-20mi out is 1.5hrs in during rush hour. Easy. It’s not even that bad in NYC area on average except LI (ie NNJ, WestChester/rock land, I reverse commuted from upper east side to rye for a year and a half that’s 33mi express train from 125th and it’s still only 25min or so to the CT border basically up the new Haven line.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:07 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:53 pm The taxes in some of the Baltimore burbs are significantly less than Baltimore City. So even with massive hikes, you're starting well below the level people are leaving. The county where I live is half of what my brother-in-law who lives in Balty City pays. And that's with the massive sprawl we've been experiencing over the past 2 decades. I'm sure those chix will come home to roost and increase soon though. Just a matter of time. But our whole family has been pretty fortunate not to have to commute to Baltimore for a job for the past 40 years. All work locally.
Wife’s uncle lives in Bel Aire and commutes to Bowie daily...I’d rather pay city taxes and take on some crime risk (along with the many benefits of being in a city you don’t seem to ever mention) then do that 100/100 times. The commutes aroudn Atlanta are enough to double suicide rates. 15-20mi out is 1.5hrs in during rush hour. Easy. It’s not even that bad in NYC area on average except LI (ie NNJ, WestChester/rock land, I reverse commuted from upper east side to rye for a year and a half that’s 33mi express train from 125th and it’s still only 25min or so to the CT border basically up the new Haven line.
What other benefits of City life? I'm not a city person so I don't see a lot of city "features" as benefits, per se. Just curious.

Bel Air to Bowie would be absolutely brutal!

If that were my job situation I'd be looking for a new home in Davidsonville, Crofton, Edgewater, Catonsville or Ellicott City.
ANY PLACE CLOSER!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Biden's botched Afghan exit is a disaster at home and abroad long in the making:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/16/politics ... index.html
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:13 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:07 pm
What other benefits of City life? I'm not a city person so I don't see a lot of city "features" as benefits, per se. Just curious.

Bel Air to Bowie would be absolutely brutal!

If that were my job situation I'd be looking for a new home in Davidsonville, Crofton, Edgewater, Catonsville or Ellicott City.
ANY PLACE CLOSER!
I agree but...

He bought it off his mother when she moved to Myrtle after their father died. So its their childhood home (FIL as well) and the business is part of Rockwell now but was originally tied to the airlines as a consortium of traffic signal control related business then sold to Carlyle then ultimately to Rockwell so for like a decade he was in limbo as well but hanging in as head of business development.

As far as city life, the competition forces more innovative and quality restaurants and culture then you can get away with in small towns as someone quite familiar with both. Hangar theatre is great but it’s not the same as many major city primary theaters for example. Do you like pro sports? Are you telling me you can’t even conceive of any benefits of living in an area where there’s a scale of bodies who can cause and create more opportunities than in a smaller populated area? If that were true why is there so so very much migration of college kids fresh off a formal education running for large cities? They’re all 100% wrong? P
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Understand. They have more than just a couple causal ties to it. I'd certainly be looking for an option with my job then. OR talking to company leadership about a remote or "consulting" option if he's in BD.

No, I don't discount those things. For you and others. To each their own.

Those just aren't benefits or particularly appealing to me. I prefer to spend my time fishing, boating, canoeing, with quiet, gardens, dogs, kids, and on lax fields. I'd rather spend $100 on a good bottle of booze at a store than on a few shots at a bar.

I don't think the college kids are wrong. Those right out of college need to find a job. So they go to where their best bets are - lots of opportunities and HQs are in the city. Especially those in finance. And, right out of college, they also like to party. That's what cities are good for. Lots of bars and restaurants.

I have tons of friends who moved to the city right out of college. Then they moved to my neighborhood once they found wives, settled down and had kids. For the quiet, safety and good schools for their kids.

Many still own those first houses in the bar districts and rent and earn a stable income and equity from their decisions to buy in the city.

As for the extra curriculars you mention, That's just not my preference. I go to pro sports games when I want. Friends and family members are season ticket holders. They always are giving them away after opening day. You can only go to so many of those. And unfortunately, Baltimore doesn't get much good theatre. We make the trip to Broadway if we're buying tix.

Return to “POLITICS”