All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

MDlaxfan76

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

IMO, we're at the point where persuasion and "trust" have very little, or at least rapidly diminishing returns. That leaves fear and requirement.

The first, "fear" is somewhat happening due to rising hospitalizations and growing awareness of those. But it's a bad way to get vaccinations up. And it's definitely not going to get a large cohort across the line, no matter how many get rich and die.

The second way, I predict, is about to happen more and more, and will accelerate. Vaccine requirements for access to public accommodations, whether driven by private businesses or from the federal gov't for interstate travel, or state and local for various access, this will basically say, "get vaccinated, or stay home". With no more subsidies and payments to the unvaccinated.

Hopefully, we won't get to the point where we say, if you're unvaccinated (out of personal choice, not medical, etc.) you don't get access to health care support, but that's the last option
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

No access to health care support-
Cant do that without good interoperable medical records.
Which we don't have.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:03 am No access to health care support-
Which we don't have.
We will figure it out. We have an “American Can Do” attitude. Negativity doesn’t help.
“I wish you would!”
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:19 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:03 am No access to health care support-
Which we don't have.
We will figure it out. We have an “American Can Do” attitude. Negativity doesn’t help.
No, I agree. Hopefully the infrastructure spending will fix it.
National/local databases just dont communicate...in aything.
Been watching the same issue for medical records they are seeing in fingerprint and DNA database interoperability
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:24 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:19 am
Which we don't have.
No, I agree. Hopefully the infrastructure spending will fix it.
National/local databases just dont communicate...in aything.
Been watching the same issue for medical records they are seeing in fingerprint and DNA database interoperability
If we capture a good chunk of the population, I am good with it. The people in the middle of nowhere Trump land can languish behind.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Which we don't have.
Definitely would be a challenge.
That said, can't produce a vaccine status?

No support for Covid treatment.
(except perhaps those with such mental handicaps as to be homeless, etc)

Car accident, we'll take care of you.

Hopefully we won't need to go to that extreme, but can't get on a plane, train, or bus, can't go to a concert, a bar, a restaurant, school, a place of work...darn few are going to not get vaccinated for some misbegotten political expression reason nor because they've been misinformed previously.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/16/covid-v ... roval.html

pfizer in with data for healthy individuals' boosters to fda. they had an 8-9 month lag from 2nd shot. no idea if that's where any approval will land, anyone take a qualified guess?
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Which we don't have.
I had occasion to spend 12 hours at a hospital (member of the Johns Hopkins network) the other day. Unbelievably, they don't know three things:

1. where their patients and staff are at all times,
2. where their visitors are at all times, and
3. whether their staff know who their patients are, i.e. ER nurses are assigned patients without acknowledgement.

If they can't get those straightforward things right, there isn't a lot of hope.

Imagine what will happen with the next, more virulent outbreak...

We f*cked. "World's best health care my a**!!"
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Effing Hopkins.
;)
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hey JHU72, thought you and your science crew would appreciate this but planning my sons birthday party for later this month and the bowling alley is out (renovations) and asked if he had any ideas of interest and his first thought was “something science” so we found a group that comes to homes and works with kids doing science projects for a couple of hours.

Don’t get me wrong we still played catch (baseball) , soft tag/tackle football and lacrosse (just catching and we have these knock down ground ball “battles with me and my kids I let them get some but don’t make it easy and we all end up dirty) all weekend but he loves reading and science. His career ambition for the new school year he wrote is that he’s going to be a professional bike rider/scientist/linebacker/chef when he grows up...turning 9 on 8/23
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:43 pm
Hey JHU72, thought you and your science crew would appreciate this but planning my sons birthday party for later this month and the bowling alley is out (renovations) and asked if he had any ideas of interest and his first thought was “something science” so we found a group that comes to homes and works with kids doing science projects for a couple of hours.

Don’t get me wrong we still played catch (baseball) , soft tag/tackle football and lacrosse (just catching and we have these knock down ground ball “battles with me and my kids I let them get some but don’t make it easy and we all end up dirty) all weekend but he loves reading and science. His career ambition for the new school year he wrote is that he’s going to be a professional bike rider/scientist/linebacker/chef when he grows up...turning 9 on 8/23
Very cool. Enjoy the ride FFG. Before you know it.....they are gone.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:49 pm

Thanks I don’t know where the time already went. Seems just like flash memories and pictures from the early years already. And immediately regret some frustrations with having them around ALL THE TIME for like a year and a half through this whole Covid mess. I mean I didn’t show it towards them but I (and probably every parent) lost it at least once when they walk in in a zoom business call or are screaming or crying while trying to build out an interactive three statement finance model because one hit the other with something over dumb ish...
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:56 pm

Thanks I don’t know where the time already went. Seems just like flash memories and pictures from the early years already. And immediately regret some frustrations with having them around ALL THE TIME for like a year and a half through this whole Covid mess. I mean I didn’t show it towards them but I (and probably every parent) lost it at least once when they walk in in a zoom business call or are screaming or crying while trying to build out an interactive three statement finance model because one hit the other with something over dumb ish...
No doubt, I had two college kids here most of last year. Yours may have been crying or screaming and mine were screaming at xbox, eating every damned morsel in home, blasting the tunes while lifting at our power rack, wall ball in our basement then hearing the ball hit the floor joists like a bomb went off. It's all relative......my oldest just left this afternoon...will be moving to Florida shortly for work.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:02 pm

No doubt, I had two college kids here most of last year. Yours may have been crying or screaming and mine were screaming at xbox, eating every damned morsel in home, blasting the tunes while lifting at our power rack, wall ball in our basement then hearing the ball hit the floor joists like a bomb went off. It's all relative......my oldest just left this afternoon...will be moving to Florida shortly for work.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:02 pm

Congrats on getting one out of the house. The food issue is similar in some aspects. Some of my favorite things I get for myself my son know tells me when unloading groceries “don’t eat all of my xxx dad!”. My daughter does more of this emotional manipulation by not seeing the sherbert (I finished after the rest has the initial 2/3-3/4 in servings my turn dammit) and asking, I tell her it’s gone and she looks sad but then will go it’s ok daddy.

I still influence their music a bit though Ive become wayyyy too familiar with Mikey Cyrus lyrics due to my daughter run the past year.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Typical Lax Dad

My kids loved this
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:15 pm

My kids loved this
Thanks! Will buy it quick, have a week now.

Btw, I was moved to create a signature for the first time ever...
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:19 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:15 pm

My kids loved this
Thanks! Will buy it quick, have a week now.

Btw, I was moved to create a signature for the first time ever...
Classic!!
“I wish you would!”
Bart

Post by Bart »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:03 am
Bart wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:14 am
wgdsr wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:58 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:35 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:23 pm you're full of ish ffg. plus you don't read well or are lazy based on your takes.
i told you i'd start with your first takes first and you didn't want to do that.
so then muscle me. whatever. asked a bunch for what u wanted for answers. you don't have anything to say. the child thing, btw, was reciprocation to how you handled this.

if you have a question for clarification, i will answer. 10?s at a time maybe too many, better a few at a time, imo.

btw, my guess tld and i are cool. you and i used to be, but i can live w whatever.
Vaccines are helping. Anything else is just noise. We need more people vaccinated. If we get a bad mutation, guys in the white jackets will clean it up with boosters. My belief is that we will need annual shots like the flu. It’s a novel virus and we are 19 months in. We are much further along than many people imagined in February of 2020. Vaccine protection is high initially and then declines…..Was expected with alpha and the vaccine seems to have been proven to be less protective against Delta. Less effective day 1? Don’t know, day 14? don’t know….each day thereafter I would expect the odds of maintaining “98” percent effectiveness to go down. Seems like the vaccine operates more like a therapeutic we are all pining for….might be better than Hydroxychloroquine/Zinc and Ivermectin….
you're the t*ts tld.
but i'm saving!!!:
"A vaccine given today is still 98% effective."
Can I ask, wgdsr, what is is you are actually hitting at? I am truly confused. Is it the fact that effacacy is down from original estimates? I do not believe you think the vaccine is worthless do you? I would hate to assume anything because you know what that leads to.......

I never got the notion that the vaccine was going to produce sterilizing immunity.
the science and numbers will be what they are.

just the point that with our new variant driving worse outcomes than before (maybe in combo with some waning)... how we're packaging it. maybe why we're packaging it.

my suspicion, conjecture, for why health and admin authorities, media are quoting long past results is to target the 90 million who haven't stepped up. or the 20 or x million they think they can get if they strike while the iron is hot.

i think there's some downsides to that, and could very well outweigh the upside. one is trust, and it's my opinion trust is the biggest issue for those 90 million. the other at least may be that people vaxxed still feel like superman if they believe they're 98 or 99.994 protected from real bad outcomes. which is showing to no longer be the case. and that's a 170 million number. think honest and transparent info is best practice here.
Fair enough. Thank you.

Return to “POLITICS”