Looking Forward to 2022

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Looking Forward to 2022

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:33 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:38 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:13 pm Very big difference between forced and unforced TOs
What’s your assessment of these, wlaxphan?
They are all contested. Could she have made better decisions in some of these situations? Maybe. I'm not sure what SU's game plan was, but that's the point of defensive pressure, isn't it? Make them make a bad decision or a mistake. BC did a very good job of that, and sliding once the ball was in the 8. In fact, if anyone's coaching a youth team - that first clip is a great example of collapsing in the 8.

I'd rather not split hairs over 3 turnovers in Ward's very young career. Whether or not we all come to an agreement on why these turnovers happened, they don't define her ability or talent as a lacrosse player. Her last turnover in the game was with almost the entire second half left. So she had 3 turnovers in the first 32 minutes of the game and none in the last 28. What does that tell you? Maybe she made an adjustment? My assessment is that experience is the best teacher.
Thanks, wlaxphan. I appreciate your observations.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Dead nuts on the money, w20, and the reason the whole propensity to turn the ball over in pressure situations is nonsense.
Two clips of some good D successfully causing errors (isn't that the point of D?) doesn't label a girl as faltering under pressure. Put ten clips of Emma up handling pressure like a veteran and getting to the cage and scoring with a nifty little shot or of her throwing some sweet assists under pressure being put on by seasoned veterans and you can make her look like the best player in the game. This is garbage to dwell on and highlight Emma's TOs.
Bart

Post by Bart »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:13 pm Very big difference between forced and unforced TOs
They are all contested. Could she have made better decisions in some of these situations? Maybe. I'm not sure what SU's game plan was, but that's the point of defensive pressure, isn't it? Make them make a bad decision or a mistake. BC did a very good job of that, and sliding once the ball was in the 8. In fact, if anyone's coaching a youth team - that first clip is a great example of collapsing in the 8.

I'd rather not split hairs over 3 turnovers in Ward's very young career. Whether or not we all come to an agreement on why these turnovers happened, they don't define her ability or talent as a lacrosse player. Her last turnover in the game was with almost the entire second half left. So she had 3 turnovers in the first 32 minutes of the game and none in the last 28. What does that tell you? Maybe she made an adjustment? My assessment is that experience is the best teacher.
Which is why Ms Hoeg's numbers are impressive. Knowing when to hold the ball, when to pass and when to force it and when to run away. Playing with an amazing finisher, or two or three, does not hurt.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Bart wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:09 pm

Which is why Ms Hoeg's numbers are impressive. Knowing when to hold the ball, when to pass and when to force it and when to run away. Playing with an amazing finisher, or two or three, does not hurt.
Thanks Bart, now I have a certain Kenny Rogers song on continuous loop in my head...
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:29 pm
Bart wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:09 pm

Thanks Bart, now I have a certain Kenny Rogers song on continuous loop in my head...
very nice
OuttaNowhereWregget

Below is the IL final poll for the '21 season. Looking forward to '22--which teams have improved so far? Which teams have lost key players to either graduation or transfer? Which teams are sure to improve their record and why?

1 Boston College (18 - 3)
2 Syracuse (17 - 4)
3 North Carolina (20 - 1)
4 Northwestern (15 - 1)
5 Stony Brook (16 - 3)
6 Notre Dame (11 - 7)
6 Florida (18 - 3)
8 Duke (11 - 8)
9 Maryland (10 - 7)
10 Loyola (12 - 3)
11 James Madison (12 - 5)
12 Virginia (9 - 9)
13 Rutgers (7 - 9)
14 Denver (16 - 2)
15 Drexel (13 - 3)
16 Stanford (11 - 1)
17 Temple (13 - 6)
18 Jacksonville (12 - 2)
19 Johns Hopkins (8 - 7)
20 Virginia Tech (5 - 11)

Receiving Votes:
Penn State, Louisville, UMass, Towson, Hofstra, UConn, Lehigh, Fairfield
howdyyall

Post by howdyyall »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:31 am Below is the IL final poll for the '21 season. Looking forward to '22--which teams have improved so far? Which teams have lost key players to either graduation or transfer? Which teams are sure to improve their record and why?

1 Boston College (18 - 3)
2 Syracuse (17 - 4)
3 North Carolina (20 - 1)
4 Northwestern (15 - 1)
5 Stony Brook (16 - 3)
6 Notre Dame (11 - 7)
6 Florida (18 - 3)
8 Duke (11 - 8)
9 Maryland (10 - 7)
10 Loyola (12 - 3)
11 James Madison (12 - 5)
12 Virginia (9 - 9)
13 Rutgers (7 - 9)
14 Denver (16 - 2)
15 Drexel (13 - 3)
16 Stanford (11 - 1)
17 Temple (13 - 6)
18 Jacksonville (12 - 2)
19 Johns Hopkins (8 - 7)
20 Virginia Tech (5 - 11)

Receiving Votes:
Penn State, Louisville, UMass, Towson, Hofstra, UConn, Lehigh, Fairfield
Curious if people think the best team should be ranked first. Or the team that won the championship. Everyone knows that giants team that beat the undefeated Pats and Tom Brady team was notttt the best team. Just had one good day. If you were to tell teams that year the best team isn’t ranked first, but just the team that wins the big game. Seems like a divergence of value association..curious either way
OuttaNowhereWregget

howdyyall wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:04 pm Curious if people think the best team should be ranked first. Or the team that won the championship. Everyone knows that giants team that beat the undefeated Pats and Tom Brady team was notttt the best team. Just had one good day. If you were to tell teams that year the best team isn’t ranked first, but just the team that wins the big game. Seems like a divergence of value association..curious either way
Who, in your opinion, is the best team right now?
howdyyall

Post by howdyyall »

Is your question best team of the 2021 season? Or the next 2022 season?
OuttaNowhereWregget

howdyyall wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:35 pm Is your question best team of the 2021 season? Or the next 2022 season?
Both
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

howdyyall wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:04 pm Curious if people think the best team should be ranked first. Or the team that won the championship. Everyone knows that giants team that beat the undefeated Pats and Tom Brady team was notttt the best team. Just had one good day. If you were to tell teams that year the best team isn’t ranked first, but just the team that wins the big game. Seems like a divergence of value association..curious either way
The team that won the previous championship should be ranked first at the beginning of the season. That doesnt always happen in NCAA Football, but I think that until the season starts, they should have that honor.

The Best team is subjective to some degree when/before you start a season.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Loading up

Some teams are loading up for 2022. Some through multiple transfers--most notably Maryland with 5 so far, some through incoming recruits, BC with 3 who figured prominently in the All America game (two on the field and one on the sidelines). Carolina has Aldave coming in along with
Sam Geiersbach. I'm sure there are plenty of teams expectant to see what the incoming student athletes have to offer and what they look like in practice and game action. Should be an interesting Fall Ball season before the beginning of that 2nd week in February rolls around in 6 months
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

UNC also has Dirk's as their 3rd very strong (AA) transfer.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:17 am UNC also has Dirk's as their 3rd very strong (AA) transfer.
Correct! I think she was the first. Olivia Dirks (sans apostrophe) 😉
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

For the sake of off-season discussion, I have been thinking about a pre-season top 10. After the first five, it is pretty hard to do:

1. Boston College -- if my memory serves, everyone is back, save Reilly, Urbank and Ngai (I think having a tested back-up is important). Defending champs, they get the No. 1 slot until proven otherwise. One of the best HCs in the business.

2. UNC -- too much back and a few good transfer pickups. I think chemistry will be a challenge. I don't even know what the freshmen class looks like, but this team will be in the final four again. I wonder if the coaching staff is having a summer of reflection?

3. Syracuse -- "but what about the losses on defense and goal?" you ask. Good question. But they have enough back to be a very formidable team. I understand that Hower is a good keeper, and there will be a competition among goalies. New and -- let's be serious -- young and untested coach.

4. Northwestern -- still gonna be a scoring machine with Dwyer, Gilbert, Scan and Coykendall back, and the Hansens and Holmes stepping into even more prominent roles. Can they put together a good defense? Good coach, but showed discipline problems in the face of a good defense.

5. Loyola -- I think everyone of note is back, and I assume Fiedler will be healthy. Still have Rosenzweig on the goalie right at GLE, and No. 9 on the goalie left, with three excellent midfielders in Fiedler, Kluegel and Wilson. If they shoot well, they will score goals. I think most of the defense is back, right? And Larssen is back. A lot of pieces of the puzzle. Unimpressed with the coaching staff last year; really could not get this team out of third gear.

Who's next? Florida? Maryland? Notre Dame? Really hard to get a bead on these teams.

Maryland has a real challenge ahead of it, integrating the numerous transfers, none of whom -- respectfully -- are Erica Evans. Folks keep talking about G. Griffin and the remaining May, but these are good role players, not players on whose shoulders a game will be turned. Great coaching, and a big challenge come fall.

Notre Dame loses Deehan, right? And Aldave. Who else?

Florida should just hire Spallina when Joey graduates from Mount Sinai....
Idontknowtherules

Post by Idontknowtherules »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:56 am For the sake of off-season discussion, I have been thinking about a pre-season top 10. After the first five, it is pretty hard to do:

1. Boston College -- if my memory serves, everyone is back, save Reilly, Urbank and Ngai (I think having a tested back-up is important). Defending champs, they get the No. 1 slot until proven otherwise. One of the best HCs in the business.

2. UNC -- too much back and a few good transfer pickups. I think chemistry will be a challenge. I don't even know what the freshmen class looks like, but this team will be in the final four again. I wonder if the coaching staff is having a summer of reflection?

3. Syracuse -- "but what about the losses on defense and goal?" you ask. Good question. But they have enough back to be a very formidable team. I understand that Hower is a good keeper, and there will be a competition among goalies. New and -- let's be serious -- young and untested coach.

4. Northwestern -- still gonna be a scoring machine with Dwyer, Gilbert, Scan and Coykendall back, and the Hansens and Holmes stepping into even more prominent roles. Can they put together a good defense? Good coach, but showed discipline problems in the face of a good defense.

5. Loyola -- I think everyone of note is back, and I assume Fiedler will be healthy. Still have Rosenzweig on the goalie right at GLE, and No. 9 on the goalie left, with three excellent midfielders in Fiedler, Kluegel and Wilson. If they shoot well, they will score goals. I think most of the defense is back, right? And Larssen is back. A lot of pieces of the puzzle. Unimpressed with the coaching staff last year; really could not get this team out of third gear.

Who's next? Florida? Maryland? Notre Dame? Really hard to get a bead on these teams.

Maryland has a real challenge ahead of it, integrating the numerous transfers, none of whom -- respectfully -- are Erica Evans. Folks keep talking about G. Griffin and the remaining May, but these are good role players, not players on whose shoulders a game will be turned. Great coaching, and a big challenge come fall.

Bc will clearly be the front runner. Unc will have to work on chemistry in the fall. Cuse. Returns all offense. Defense will 100% be an issue. Cooper the only returner and not really sure how the remainder play. Guess we will see. Nw is always in the mix but fall short
Spallina at Florida. Nah. I think Thorpe gets that job. He left Pitt after not even a year. Lateral move on paper. There’s a reason
On a side note. I remember reading Spallina son going to Cuse was hinged on getting 22. Retiring the jersey. Does he still go🤭
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Idontknowtherules wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:25 am
seacoaster wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:56 am For the sake of off-season discussion, I have been thinking about a pre-season top 10. After the first five, it is pretty hard to do:

Bc will clearly be the front runner. Unc will have to work on chemistry in the fall. Cuse. Returns all offense. Defense will 100% be an issue. Cooper the only returner and not really sure how the remainder play. Guess we will see. Nw is always in the mix but fall short
Spallina at Florida. Nah. I think Thorpe gets that job. He left Pitt after not even a year. Lateral move on paper. There’s a reason
On a side note. I remember reading Spallina son going to Cuse was hinged on getting 22. Retiring the jersey. Does he still go🤭
I think retirement of 22 is a relief. I know Spallina won’t leave the Island. But something has to happen in Gainesville. I don’t think Regy is the answer. JMO.
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:30 am
Idontknowtherules wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:25 am

I think retirement of 22 is a relief. I know Spallina won’t leave the Island. But something has to happen in Gainesville. I don’t think Regy is the answer. JMO.
Spallina will stay on Long Island. I agree. I didn’t think Regy is the answer either. But there’s a lot of coaches that probably aren’t. I still think he gets the job which is why he made the move. It just seems like a weird move if there’s not an end game
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Cagekeeper wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:38 am Spallina will stay on Long Island. I agree. I didn’t think Regy is the answer either. But there’s a lot of coaches that probably aren’t. I still think he gets the job which is why he made the move. It just seems like a weird move if there’s not an end game
me neither. If they (UF) were smart, when Amanda leaves, they should elevate Taryn VanThof. She has paid her dues as an assistant and I would think would be ready to move up to a HC position. Not sure if they will do that, with Regy on board, but it would be bold move to get/keep the young coach.
OuttaNowhereWregget

BC - Already put the target on their own collective back with North's prediction but hard to argue against it with their stellar talent
Carolina - Quoting you here sea: "I wonder if the coaching staff is having a summer of reflection?" Would love to read this thought fleshed out...
Northwestern - A lot to prove with many returning studs--still unmatched west o' the Appalachians
Syracuse - 4th because in spite of the undeniable talent I don't know how Treanor will do in her first year
Maryland - Lots of transfers coming in with already decent core, and Reese

Stony Brook - D1 version of the Lunch Pail A.C. still beats almost everyone during the regular season
Duke - They'll miss Gabby but they have some good looking players and maybe they'll build off the Maryland win
Florida - Three transfers that I know of and an assistant coach to change the culture a bit perhaps
Loyola - What you said above
Virginia - Some good young talent (the younger Hoeg) with some vets and maybe they'll make a little more noise with the youth infusion

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”