2021 Coaching Carousel

D3 Mens Lacrosse
River Donkey

Re: 2021 Coaching Carousel

Post by River Donkey »

boredatwork wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:06 am
River Donkey wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:50 am [quote=DeepPocket post_id=284854 time=<a href="tel:1628689506">1628689506</a> user_id=609]
https://www.laxjournal.com/eyes-on-amhe ... andidates/
Can you give some details, you can’t read the article without subscribing.
By looking at the tags at the bottom of the article and what has already come out I assume this means:

-Sean woods (Colorado college)
-Brett Holm (brown) or possibly michael Higgins
-Mike Plantholt (Ohio wesleyan)
[/quote]
Definitely some good options there. Thank you.
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

Very curious to see how this goes....

If they're pulling Woods (10 years at CC) or Plantholt (12 years at OWU) away from their current gigs; they must be opening up their wallet to do so. I have to think that those guys have gotten regular raises in their current jobs and make a decent amount on the D3 Head Coach Pay scale....Curious to know if AC has to pay either of the past two former coaches anything as a buy out / severance and if that limits what they're willing to do financially for this hire.

That's the reason I was intrigued last week to see Sax's name pop up as a rumored candidate. First year at his current school usually means he's not making too much money and Amherst would certainly be able to pay more. Same thought with the Brown guys mentioned. While I know very little about Ivy League assistant pay; there have been two Dartmouth assistants in somewhat recent years leave for Liberty League head jobs (RIP current coach and Skidmore former coach) so I'd assume there might be a decent step up financially from Ivy assistant to high level D3 head coach. (Obviously money isn't everything and quality of life / running a program factors in to that equation as well)

Will be interesting to see what happens in the next week or so...
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

I’m hearing that Keystone has their guy.. if true interesting hire. Should be announced early next week when background clears
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Sounds like McDaniel didn’t have to go far.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

VTLaxGuy wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:38 am Very curious to see how this goes....

If they're pulling Woods (10 years at CC) or Plantholt (12 years at OWU) away from their current gigs; they must be opening up their wallet to do so. I have to think that those guys have gotten regular raises in their current jobs and make a decent amount on the D3 Head Coach Pay scale....Curious to know if AC has to pay either of the past two former coaches anything as a buy out / severance and if that limits what they're willing to do financially for this hire.

That's the reason I was intrigued last week to see Sax's name pop up as a rumored candidate. First year at his current school usually means he's not making too much money and Amherst would certainly be able to pay more. Same thought with the Brown guys mentioned. While I know very little about Ivy League assistant pay; there have been two Dartmouth assistants in somewhat recent years leave for Liberty League head jobs (RIP current coach and Skidmore former coach) so I'd assume there might be a decent step up financially from Ivy assistant to high level D3 head coach. (Obviously money isn't everything and quality of life / running a program factors in to that equation as well)

Will be interesting to see what happens in the next week or so...
Not sure what the salary will be for Woods relative to what he was getting (have to think at least somewhat more) but I would be very surprised to hear any D3 lax coach has a buyout.
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

I think a lot of you mightt be mistaken about the money D3 coaches are making. I would say most Head Coaches are in $35-$50K range assistants are in the $12-$20K or less with things like on campus housing. Yes there are exception and a lot of coaches have secondary functions such as facilites director or intramural directory to get more. I doubt there are any buy outs.

Think about the resources and revenue of most Private D3 schools it is nowhere near a state funded universites.

In fact I beleive at a lot of D3 schools the coaches role is to bring male cash paying student in. We all know 20-24 players get PT during a game, how many D3 teams have 60 plus rosters?
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

palaxoff wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:06 am I think a lot of you mightt be mistaken about the money D3 coaches are making. I would say most Head Coaches are in $35-$50K range assistants are in the $12-$20K or less with things like on campus housing. Yes there are exception and a lot of coaches have secondary functions such as facilites director or intramural directory to get more. I doubt there are any buy outs.

Think about the resources and revenue of most Private D3 schools it is nowhere near a state funded universites.

In fact I beleive at a lot of D3 schools the coaches role is to bring male cash paying student in. We all know 20-24 players get PT during a game, how many D3 teams have 60 plus rosters?
The Amherst job pays over $100k. He will be signed to a multi year contract. There are a very small handful of D3 assistants that make $48k-$60k.
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

WhiteCarrera wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:40 pm Sounds like McDaniel didn’t have to go far.
How far did they have to go? Is there press release coming by Pony Express?
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

Keystone hires Brett Capps - former Assistant at Wake Forest (MCLA)
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:18 am
palaxoff wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:06 am I think a lot of you mightt be mistaken about the money D3 coaches are making. I would say most Head Coaches are in $35-$50K range assistants are in the $12-$20K or less with things like on campus housing. Yes there are exception and a lot of coaches have secondary functions such as facilites director or intramural directory to get more. I doubt there are any buy outs.

The Amherst job pays over $100k. He will be signed to a multi year contract. There are a very small handful of D3 assistants that make $48k-$60k.
I'm not going to put anybody's business out there, but if anybody is curious you can take a dive into this website:https://www.openthebooks.com/new-york-state-employees/ and learn a lot about the SUNY Coaches pay. Pretty interesting. Obviously longevity is the biggest factor in the numbers you'll see.

That said, I think it's fair to assume that the private school "haves" are paying more than this, while the middle tier privates are about the same, and the "have nots" are probably a bit lower.
richard

Post by richard »

With Woods now at Amherst, it makes me wonder if he was an applicant for the G-burg job? To me it would have been preferable to the tornado at Amherst.
EasyRider

Post by EasyRider »

Marian University (Fond du Lac, WI) is newly vacant. Outgoing coach is Bob Leary.
Superlite2

Post by Superlite2 »

Woods was late add to Amherst search. For family reasons and job in New England.
richard wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:48 am With Woods now at Amherst, it makes me wonder if he was an applicant for the G-burg job? To me it would have been preferable to the tornado at Amherst.
Harco2019

Post by Harco2019 »

LaxCoach13

Post by LaxCoach13 »

EasyRider wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:31 am Marian University (Fond du Lac, WI) is newly vacant. Outgoing coach is Bob Leary.
Where did Bob go?
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

That is a fantastic hire for McDaniel...He has the pedigree to turn that program around.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Interesting that Dibartolo did not get the head job at Gettysburg after Janzick retired - it went to the Penn State assistant coach - but did get the job at McDaniel. The latter needs more help than the former! League has seen a lot of coaching turnover over the past five years plus.
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

LaxCoach13 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:34 am
EasyRider wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:31 am Marian University (Fond du Lac, WI) is newly vacant. Outgoing coach is Bob Leary.
Where did Bob go?
HC at Herkimer County Community College
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Switzerland wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:26 am
WhiteCarrera wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:40 pm Sounds like McDaniel didn’t have to go far.
How far did they have to go? Is there press release coming by Pony Express?
About 25 miles!
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Lax3 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:59 am Interesting that Dibartolo did not get the head job at Gettysburg after Janzick retired - it went to the Penn State assistant coach - but did get the job at McDaniel. The latter needs more help than the former! League has seen a lot of coaching turnover over the past five years plus.
DiBartolo was in the final 4-5, but the AD wanted to make a big splash -- someone with a D1/Pro pedigree. There was dissension within the committee as some very good candidates got passed over because of this. Toner is a good hire and fits the bill, though maybe not the big name he was hoping for. My guess is DiBartolo was the easy call at G-burg, but only if the AD drew a blank. I don't blame him for going to McDaniel -- a place with tons of untapped potential.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”