JUST the Stolen Documents/Mar-A-Lago/"Judge" Cannon Trial

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
old salt

Re: The Politics of National Security

Post by old salt »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:37 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:29 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:06 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:30 pm US Embassy abandoning ship. News just out. Even MSNBC is gingerly covering right now.

The only thing Joe has going for him here is his amen corner media, who will do what they can to minimize the embarrassment of the lack of planning and failure. The optics’s look brutal.

Democrats will be blown out next November.
Yep, even Nicolle Wallace on MSNBC, is jumping ship.

Paul Rykoff on Afghanistan :shock:

listen to the last 5 minutes, starting at 1:27:42

https://podcasts.apple.com/ph/podcast/i ... 0531760133

I’m in my office with the television on. Watching MSNBC. I’ve been surprised how hard they’re going after Biden on this. Obviously total hacks like Joy Reid don’t cover it, but Garret Haacke (sp?) went after Biden hard. Some guy called Crocker and another analyst were catatonic. And they are Democrats!!

The optics are rough. I suspect even our media won’t be able to cover that up, even though they’d like to. It’s going to look like the fall of Saigon.

And after that, Afghanistan will go medieval again. What a colossal waste of 20 years.

Whether he deserves it or not, this happens on Biden’s watch and his party will pay the penalty next fall. Honestly, the entire embassy will be on the run shortly. We will be fortunate if there are no deaths as we leave the airport.
NOTHING surprising about the coverage. They (MSNBC and CNN) have been covering this for weeks, and yes they have been very questioning of Biden.
Nobody has torched Biden like Rykoff did yesterday on msnbc.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

old salt wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:15 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:09 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:00 pm I don't think it will have a big political bite if only because the Trumpist folks weren't arguing against Trump on this when he announced his timetable, which would have been even faster and with even less planning.
... the stench of hypocrisy coming from the Trumpnista bandstand, is overwhelming. :roll: In the end the American people don't care, never did.
Dream on. You said the same thing about Trump's withdrawal from NE Syria. We're still there. Biden owns this. He gave the GO order, as Rykoff points out, prematurely, with inadequate planning to get our allies out.
"with inadequate planning to get our allies out."

Hmm, wouldn't that have been a better strategy about 2- years ago? Republicans started this sh$tsow, they own it. And why didn't we welcome the oppressed women and their children from Afghanistan 20 years ago? Because we are stupid, xenophobic and short-sighted. Removing a large number of women of child-bearing age and their children would have provided a nice "natural", demographic solution to our problem. But I guess if you are stupid and only have a hammer...

"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
old salt

Post by old salt »

Biden sounds like Baghdad Bob.
3,000 US troops heading back to Kabul to cover our evacuation :
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/12/afghani ... kabul.html

The U.S. is deploying 3,000 troops to Afghanistan in order to facilitate the drawdown of the U.S. Embassy in Kabul to a “core diplomatic presence,” as Taliban militants rapidly advance toward the Afghan capital.

The troops, which will consist of three infantry battalions total from the Marines and Army, will deploy to Hamid Karzai International Airport within 24 to 48 hours, according to Pentagon spokesman John Kirby.

“This is a very narrowly focused mission of safeguarding the orderly reduction of civilian personnel out of Afghanistan,” Kirby told reporters during a press briefing Thursday.

When asked if the troops going to Kabul had a combat mission, Kirby said U.S. forces maintain the right to self defense, but the mission is temporary with a focus on protecting the movement of civilian personnel. Kirby told reporters that the U.S. is still on track to complete its withdrawal by August 31.

In addition, a U.S. infantry brigade will be positioned in Kuwait in the event they are needed in Afghanistan to help secure Hamid Karzai International Airport, according to Kirby.

And a joint unit from the Army and Air Force, consisting of 1,000 personnel, will deploy to Qatar to help with the processing of visas for Afghans who helped the U.S., Kirby said.

The decision to deploy additional U.S. troops comes as the Taliban offensive makes rapid advances.

The militants captured the strategic city of Ghazni on Thursday, bringing their front line within 95 miles of Kabul, a staggering development that comes nearly two weeks before U.S. and NATO coalition forces exit.

The Taliban also claims to have captured Afghanistan’s third-largest city, Herat, in the northwest close to Iran. Fierce fighting has also been reported in Kandahar, the nation’s second-largest city.

“In light of the evolving security situation, we expect to draw down to a core diplomatic presence in Afghanistan,” State Department spokesman Ned Price said Thursday.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken and Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin spoke with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani earlier Thursday to coordinate planning, according Price.

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

CNN and FOX aren't covering the story with any priority. MSNBC seems to be the only ones interested.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Given the speed of this, I don't believe the Taliban were defeating the Afghan forces in all cases, would guess a lot of Afghan commanders were coopted.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:51 pm CNN and FOX aren't covering the story with any priority. MSNBC seems to be the only ones interested.
What is there to cover? Is the ending suppose to be a surprise? Biden is doing the right thing. That won't matter in the long run because the Taliban has a lot of scores to settle. CNN, FOX and all the other cable news networks won't be around to report on that either.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:33 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:51 pm CNN and FOX aren't covering the story with any priority. MSNBC seems to be the only ones interested.
What is there to cover? Is the ending suppose to be a surprise? Biden is doing the right thing. That won't matter in the long run because the Taliban has a lot of scores to settle. CNN, FOX and all the other cable news networks won't be around to report on that either.
... absolutely Biden is doing the right thing. One of the very very few good things I had expected to come out of Trump. I thought he would get out of Afghanistan. Thought he had the balls, but he did not. Only someone like Biden could do it. He has the experience, he knows the games the military industrial complex plays, he has seen them all, and just was not going to fall for it.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:24 pm
... absolutely Biden is doing the right thing. One of the very very few good things I had expected to come out of Trump. I thought he would get out of Afghanistan. Thought he had the balls, but he did not. Only someone like Biden could do it. He has the experience, he knows the games the military industrial complex plays, he has seen them all, and just was not going to fall for it.

The Pentagon spent $88 billion dollars training the Afghan Army for 20 years

It collapsed in 1 month. Not one American general will be fired for this result.

Thankfully we are teaching our soldiers CRT.

Jeebus this country needs a wake up call. The left is rotting is out from the inside.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:45 pm

It collapsed in 1 month. Not one American general will be fired for this result.

Jeebus this country needs a wake up call. The left is rotting is out from the inside.
Ring, ring.

Call for Petey on line 1. It's Dr. Delta.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

If you don't love the country, you're free to move :lol:
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Correction: it is the right wing that has been corrupting the USA and attempted to do the same to Afghanistan. As I have mentioned on this forum before (and on LP previously) you simply cannot win a war unless you have support from the majority of the people in that country. Catering to butt wiping sycophants and cronies as traitor Bush did will never win a war. You have the examples of Cuba, Vietnam, Iraq, and now Afghanistan.

Every time you say "thank you for your service" to a veteran of the two ME wars you are repeating a baseless pro war propaganda lie. The $2 trillion war* was nothing more than a corporate welfare campaign designed to benefit the welfare queens in the military industrial complex. Not to preserve our "freedoms" the way the news media portrays it.

What's going on today is not a successful "insurgency" as the reich wing media says. It is the liberation of a victim nation ~ one invaded by foreign imperialists hell bent on taking away wealth and enslaving the populace. The success of the Taliban reflects the fact that it has majority support from that country's people. If anything, right wingers (if they had any principle at all) should be applauding this success. After all it enforces the conservative ideal of self determination and the removal of government (in this case, foreign imperialistic government) from deterring self actuation.

* https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... -cost.html
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... I take Petey's comment to mean he has gone back to being pro-war, republican returning to his roots. Trumpnista crowd has now decided to go back to being the party of stupid endless wars that accomplish nothing. Frankly that fits his MO better. :lol:
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:02 pm

Correction: it is the right wing that has been corrupting the USA and attempted to do the same to Afghanistan. As I have mentioned on this forum before (and on LP previously) you simply cannot win a war unless you have support from the majority of the people in that country. Catering to butt wiping sycophants and cronies as traitor Bush did will never win a war. You have the examples of Cuba, Vietnam, Iraq, and now Afghanistan.

Every time you say "thank you for your service" to a veteran of the two ME wars you are repeating a baseless pro war propaganda lie. The $2 trillion war* was nothing more than a corporate welfare campaign designed to benefit the welfare queens in the military industrial complex. Not to preserve our "freedoms" the way the news media portrays it.

What's going on today is not a successful "insurgency" as the reich wing media says. It is the liberation of a victim nation ~ one invaded by foreign imperialists hell bent on taking away wealth and enslaving the populace. The success of the Taliban reflects the fact that it has majority support from that country's people. If anything, right wingers (if they had any principle at all) should be applauding this success. After all it enforces the conservative ideal of self determination and the removal of government (in this case, foreign imperialistic government) from deterring self actuation.

* https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... -cost.html
"you simply cannot win a war unless you have support from the majority of the people in that country."

You can't win unless your opponent gives up. The US would not have "won" in the Pacific had the Japanese not surrendered. Took two atomic bombs to get that to happen.

Viet Cong would not give up.
Taliban would not give up.
ISIS (Sunni muslims in Iraq) would not give up.

Don't start fights you can't finish.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:00 pm Given the speed of this, I don't believe the Taliban were defeating the Afghan forces in all cases, would guess a lot of Afghan commanders were coopted.
Yup. I find it interesting that this withdrawal/Taliban engagement idea was the DOPUS administration's idea along with cutting the current government out of those talks. It seems to me that Biden's problem is running with that idea without thinking about what that DOPUS decision regarding the Ghani government would do once we left. The DOPUS people obviously didn't. Not a surprise that some may be bailing and trying to make deals with the new bosses in town or simply getting out of town.

I also find it typical that those decrying the Biden administration for pulling out had a different opinion when their people were making the decision.

That all said, the Biden people have really botched this and have nobody to blame but themselves for what they have done since taking over. The report that lead negotiator Khalilzad was reportedly asking Taliban to not attack the U.S. Embassy as part of Kabul takeover, if true, is stunningly incredible

Rieckhoff is rightly outraged. Another Op-Ed by Frederick W. Kagan at AEI also rings true.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/12/opin ... ticleShare
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Had to laugh at the Times Article above. The military is wasting no time getting their CYA story out.

... if only we had put a few more troops in and stayed no more than a year longer. :lol: :lol: Gee, never heard that one before.

The military is not blameless in this!
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Of course when the bloodletting takes place in Afghanistan when they win and take control. Will CNN, MSNBC or FOX or any of the rest of the bloodsucking parasites of our networks be there to cover the atrocities that will happen? Will anybody even care? Maybe all of you heck liberals that post here will be happy that Pete was banned from this forum for 30 days. The brownshirts in Germany were back in the day the equivalent of the trolls that the Blackshirt liberals of this forum rail against today. Sadly this forum has quickly gone to chit.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I'm having trouble parsing the rant above, cradle.

Particularly the brownshirts, blackshirts, etc...who is who in your scenario?
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:18 pm

"you simply cannot win a war unless you have support from the majority of the people in that country."

You can't win unless your opponent gives up. The US would not have "won" in the Pacific had the Japanese not surrendered. Took two atomic bombs to get that to happen.

Viet Cong would not give up.
Taliban would not give up.
ISIS (Sunni muslims in Iraq) would not give up.

Don't start fights you can't finish.

Big difference being that Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan were colonialist wars of imperialistic terrorism. WW II was one of self defense and was won because Japan was fighting in several fronts including Korea, China, Indonesia, and many others parts of Asia. USA wasn't seeking to colonize Japan but to defend itself from its fascist government (the fascists also failed to get support from the majority of Koreans, Chinese, etc and that's why they lost in those wars as well). The Taliban is the legitimate government of Afghanistan. It is fighting off the imperialists and is not invading others like Japanese fascists did.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
old salt

Post by old salt »

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/2 ... ghan-north

https://www.firstpost.com/world/abdul-r ... 80521.html

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/middl ... r-i-sharif

Northern Alliance Uzbek warlord Dostum is back in the fray. If he can hold from Mazir-i-Sharif, west to Sheberghan, & the ASF can hold Kabul & Bagram, there would be a northern safe haven with 3 big airports to form an air bridge to lift out endangered refugees.
We need help from the neighboring Uzbeks, Turkmen, & Tajiks.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-paci ... 021-07-05/

We need to maintain a small Special Forces presence to coordinate air support, evacuations, intel, logistics & targeting for US airstrikes.

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

old salt wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:54 am https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/2 ... ghan-north

https://www.firstpost.com/world/abdul-r ... 80521.html

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/middl ... r-i-sharif

Northern Alliance Uzbek warlord Dostum is back in the fray. If he can hold from Mazir-i-Sharif, west to Sheberghan, & the ASF can hold Kabul & Bagram, there would be a northern safe haven with 3 big airports to form an air bridge to lift out endangered refugees.
We need help from the neighboring Uzbeks, Turkmen, & Tajiks.

We need to maintain a small Special Forces presence to coordinate air support, evacuations, intel, logistics & targeting for US airstrikes.

Yup only chance is if the warlords defend their own territory. Could happen.

Return to “POLITICS”