VIRGINIA Lacrosse

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: VIRGINIA Lacrosse

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:49 pm I was surprised to see the switch in goal myself. Rode has played well, but he has had some turnovers. Coaches and players alike do boast about the stable of quality goalies in Charlottesville, so I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two more goalie changes this season from Tiffany. I really like that #11, that kid is impressive.
Johnny,
Rode is certainly capable of outstanding play.
But, he's averaged 43% over 3 games, with just one over 50%.
That's not sustainable.

I'd have had the #2 up and ready by midway in the 3rd Q vs Loyola, as it was noticeable during warm-up during half time that Alex just wasn't sharp in the net.
boxlacrosse

Post by boxlacrosse »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:39 pm
boxlacrosse wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:48 pm Yeah those are the stats. Not complaining about the switch it looks like it works. I am saying this is a contextual world what I mean by Solomon is there's a big difference between a Princeton with a nice shooter and they are a well coached team, and a high powered ACC team with a star surrounded by a much stronger supporting cast on both ends of the field. It won't work if a Syracuse or Army type team get 50 shots a game with 35 of em on cage and apply tough defense at the other end of the field can clear well. that's a different game and probably a different outcome.

I have no idea what this is coach "At Princeton, then at the Dome this Saturday. UNC maybe in there w Marist & VMI as far as signifance. Who knows? As quirky as they are." Sounds confusing.
Since your first 4 posts on FL, at least under this moniker, are all on this topic, we can't be sure whether you're trolling UVA or Princeton. Perhaps both.

I don't know what "contextual world" you live in, but your statement "there's a big difference between a Princeton with a nice shooter" reveals how little you obviously know, perhaps not just about Princeton but maybe about the game in general? You do realize that Yale won the title last year, right?

More to the point, Sowers isn't merely a "nice shooter" (he had 27 goals last year; 10 more than Solomon btw), he's primarily a feeder (56 assists). QB type. 83 points over 13 games.

Solomon is a terrific player but he had a whopping 39 points over 15 games. He, too, is more of a feeder than shooter, with 17 goals and 39 assists.

Let me help you with the math: Sowers averaged 6.4 points per game; Solomon averaged 2.6 points per game.

And hey, that's continuing in 2019 with Sowers averaging 6.5 points per game, Solomon averaging 2 points.

Let me help you even further: against UVA last year, Solomon scored 2 points in a one goal victory; Sowers scored 5 points in a 3 goal loss.

With all due respect to Cuse (I assume you must be an Orange fan and are just trolling), you may want to at least be in the ballpark.

Until seeing this goalie performance at UVA, I'd have had Cuse vs UVA at a very comfortable spread for Cuse. After all, your goalie is averaging 63% over 3 games! Outstanding!

Now, I have more of a question mark about the contest. As a UVA fan, that at least provides some hope.
Well exactly. We agree. Sowers is very good with not much of a supporting cast. Solomon has a stronger supporting cast around him and can shoot or distribute. Sowers doesn't have much to distribute to and it makes defending easier and limits the required slide packages. Your hoos have even more talent distributed around the O but are poorly organized and coached at that end of the field and therein lies a surprising weakness. it remains to be seen if your goalie can handle multiple shooters with good shot selection and again I think Desko will be able to exploit that plus the dome is not friendly to visiting teams. that being said it will be a close game.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

boxlacrosse wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:55 pm
boxlacrosse wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:48 pm Yeah those are the stats. Not complaining about the switch it looks like it works. I am saying this is a contextual world what I mean by Solomon is there's a big difference between a Princeton with a nice shooter and they are a well coached team, and a high powered ACC team with a star surrounded by a much stronger supporting cast on both ends of the field. It won't work if a Syracuse or Army type team get 50 shots a game with 35 of em on cage and apply tough defense at the other end of the field can clear well. that's a different game and probably a different outcome.

I have no idea what this is coach "At Princeton, then at the Dome this Saturday. UNC maybe in there w Marist & VMI as far as signifance. Who knows? As quirky as they are." Sounds confusing.
Since your first 4 posts on FL, at least under this moniker, are all on this topic, we can't be sure whether you're trolling UVA or Princeton. Perhaps both.

I don't know what "contextual world" you live in, but your statement "there's a big difference between a Princeton with a nice shooter" reveals how little you obviously know, perhaps not just about Princeton but maybe about the game in general? You do realize that Yale won the title last year, right?

More to the point, Sowers isn't merely a "nice shooter" (he had 27 goals last year; 10 more than Solomon btw), he's primarily a feeder (56 assists). QB type. 83 points over 13 games.

Solomon is a terrific player but he had a whopping 39 points over 15 games. He, too, is more of a feeder than shooter, with 17 goals and 39 assists.

Let me help you with the math: Sowers averaged 6.4 points per game; Solomon averaged 2.6 points per game.

And hey, that's continuing in 2019 with Sowers averaging 6.5 points per game, Solomon averaging 2 points.

Let me help you even further: against UVA last year, Solomon scored 2 points in a one goal victory; Sowers scored 5 points in a 3 goal loss.

With all due respect to Cuse (I assume you must be an Orange fan and are just trolling), you may want to at least be in the ballpark.

Until seeing this goalie performance at UVA, I'd have had Cuse vs UVA at a very comfortable spread for Cuse. After all, your goalie is averaging 63% over 3 games! Outstanding!

Now, I have more of a question mark about the contest. As a UVA fan, that at least provides some hope.
Well exactly. We agree. Sowers is very good with not much of a supporting cast. Solomon has a stronger supporting cast around him and can shoot or distribute. Sowers doesn't have much to distribute to and it makes defending easier and limits the required slide packages. Your hoos have even more talent distributed around the O but are poorly organized and coached at that end of the field and therein lies a surprising weakness. it remains to be seen if your goalie can handle multiple shooters with good shot selection and again I think Desko will be able to exploit that plus the dome is not friendly to visiting teams. that being said it will be a close game.
The most idiotic thing I have read this season but it’s still early in the season.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:58 pm

The most idiotic thing I have read this season but it’s still early in the season.
snicker.
maybe box is talking about a syracuse team from 15 or 20 years ago? he's not talking about one from the last couple years. averaging 11 per game last year, this year.
last year, they took all of 34 shots a game. 34!

in 2018, p'ton and 'cuse played 4 of the same schools - uva, hop, rutgers and cornell. syracuse played uva and cornell twice.
the tigers scored 53 goals in 4 games and went 2 and 2.
the orange scored 56 goals in 6 games and went 1 and 5.
so much for that high powered acc offense with a star surrounded by a stronger supporting cast.

this year is smaller sample size, but offensive numbers are further skewed by both teams so far... there's a bigger gap.

anyway, the 'hoos defense has been less than stellar, getting lit up won't surprise me coming from any team. hopefully, burkinshaw won't have to keep standing on his head. but it's nice to know that he can.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks 'box' is out to lunch.

Maybe Solomon's frat bro?

That said, wgdsr is right, defense needs to get much better.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Certainly, Sowers is a step up from Solomon, but after that I agree with you. Virginia's defensive schemes seem pretty questionable too.
Live Free or Die!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Cooter wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:50 am Virginia's defensive schemes seem pretty questionable too.
In this link there are a bunch of defensive breakdowns that need fixing....ASAP.

@3:30 - Looked to toying with Zone score PU form 12 yards out.
@4:37 - defender running around lost at top of box. PU score from 10+ yards out
@4:48 - What is #28 doing? looks lost. PU Score from 10+ yards out
@5:22 - Pole inside is lost reacahing for a player that is not there. PU Goal 10 yards out
@6:34 - Pole again is lost inside. This is not some new offense PU is running. Goal on the doorstep
@838 - Why is SSDM standing in front of the cage when it is clear a screen is taking place, very slow to go, if it all.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

To be fair, of course, I think we could take any set of scores from any game, any team, and find a defensive breakdown of some sort on about half the scores. Maybe more!

That said, always good to look for patterns of issues in order to correct them going forward.
Pretty sure that's what most any competent coaching staff does!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Cooter wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:50 am
Certainly, Sowers is a step up from Solomon, but after that I agree with you. Virginia's defensive schemes seem pretty questionable too.
Except that the statement: "Sowers doesn't have much to distribute to and it makes defending easier and limits the required slide packages." is total hooey.

Clearly there are players who put the ball in the back of the net off of Sowers feeds!
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:45 pm
Except that the statement: "Sowers doesn't have much to distribute to and it makes defending easier and limits the required slide packages." is total hooey.

Clearly there are players who put the ball in the back of the net off of Sowers feeds!
Sower's passes to himself. That is how he racks up assists.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:42 pm To be fair, of course, I think we could take any set of scores from any game, any team, and find a defensive breakdown of some sort on about half the scores. Maybe more!

That said, always good to look for patterns of issues in order to correct them going forward.
Pretty sure that's what most any competent coaching staff does!
Agreed MD, not trying to call anyone out, just supporting the discussion WRT defensive strategy. It reminds me of the JHU discussions about Petro, either the schematics are so plentiful/micromanaged that the players are thinking too much or the plans keep changing and they are second guessing themselves. It may very be a combination of the two it is still taking time to digest and translate.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:51 pm

Hah !
That may just happen, I wouldn’t put it past Sowers.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Taking out Sowers 4 goals on 9 shots, the other Princeton players scored 7 goals on 47 shots against Virginia.
Live Free or Die!
Typical Lax Dad

10stone5 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:36 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:51 pm

Hah !
That may just happen, I wouldn’t put it past Sowers.
Just might.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Cooter wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:19 pm

Taking out Sowers 4 goals on 9 shots, the other Princeton players scored 7 goals on 47 shots against Virginia.
When you played, did you have a teammate that drew as much attention as Sowers?
“I wish you would!”
boxlacrosse

Post by boxlacrosse »

So let's do simple math on that. Sowers shoots 44% and the others shoot 14% if these stats are correct. So what if only one other Princeton player shot at Sowers accuracy. That would be 6.56 shots per player if you use the 7/47 math. So if just one other player shot as well as Sowers at 44% then 6.56 shots would result in 2.8 additional goals. If the other lesser player shot 33% then it would have resulted in 2 additional goals. Or IOW, Princeton would have won by 1 or 2 goals with no OT. Also, with these shooting percentages, Sowers is the only one you would really worry about doubling all the time and tune the slide package to.
Typical Lax Dad

boxlacrosse wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:03 pm

So let's do simple math on that. Sowers shoots 44% and the others shoot 14% if these stats are correct. So what if only one other Princeton player shot at Sowers accuracy. That would be 6.56 shots per player if you use the 7/47 math. So if just one other player shot as well as Sowers at 44% then 6.56 shots would result in 2.8 additional goals. If the other lesser player shot 33% then it would have resulted in 2 additional goals. Or IOW, Princeton would have won by 1 or 2 goals with no OT. Also, with these shooting percentages, Sowers is the only one you would really worry about doubling all the time and tune the slide package to.
How did you handle the quick double? Sowers looks for the highest percentage shooter in the country mid slide. May be back this week.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

deleted
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Glad you can do math, but this is a ridiculous analysis.

You're looking at a single game in which the opposing goalie had an AA day.

It's nonsensical to draw a conclusion about shooters on one game.

Over two games (still way, way too small a sample), PU has 5 players shooting at 37.5"% or better, Sowers not being the highest. Those are their 5 highest scorers. They do have one frequent shooter at just 16.7%.

Overall at 29.8%. BTW, Syracuse is currently shooting 26.4%.

Over the full 2018 season, PU shot 35.8%; Syracuse 32.8%
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:43 pm

Glad you can do math, but this is a ridiculous analysis.

You're looking at a single game in which the opposing goalie had an AA day.

It's nonsensical to draw a conclusion about shooters on one game.

Over two games (still way, way too small a sample), PU has 5 players shooting at 37.5"% or better, Sowers not being the highest. Those are their 5 highest scorers. They do have one frequent shooter at just 16.7%.

Overall at 29.8%. BTW, Syracuse is currently shooting 26.4%.

Over the full 2018 season, PU shot 35.8%; Syracuse 32.8%
Didn’t the goalie set an NCAA freshman record for saves? The Princeton 33 goal scorer that led the nation in shooting percentage last season will be back at some point. He may help.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”