Northwestern Wildcats

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Northwestern Wildcats

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:29 pm Not playing moderator, as I am not one, though I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night....anyway. I get tired of the personal criticism.

The last two sentences are constructive, the first 4 not so much. Can we keep it above the board? All that those first 4 do is enflame....

Sorry for the interruption to the NU thread...maybe I am off on this, but I am old, and I get tired easily. :o
I think it would make sense in the context of recent posts. A quick search would reveal said context and previous enflaming content. My intention was and is to make an appeal to see the kinder gentler side. Yet without truth mixed in, it means little.
OuttaNowhereWregget

I sorted this list by position. It seems NU has 3 pure defenders without factoring in the midfielders who play defense, and without knowing who the incoming first year defenders/midfielders are...

https://nusports.com/sports/womens-lacr ... t=position

OuttaNowhereWregget

I love Northwestern, but I would be embarrassed to mention this on social media:

#1 NCAA scoring offense—NCAA record 20.12 goals per game.

Where were these 20 goals when they faced their toughest competition last year in the NCAA semifinal versus Syracuse? They squeaked out only 13 goals. Come to think of it, the last time they made it to the NCAA semifinals they were only able to squeak out 13 vs Maryland, as well. They were dominated—in both games. Plus they played only 17 where most teams advancing to the final four played 20 or 21. I know, it’s probably a student or a member of the marketing department, but still…

edit: added the Instagram post that prompted this
Last edited by OuttaNowhereWregget on Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:53 am I love Northwestern, but I would be embarrassed to mention this on social media:

Where were these 20 goals when they faced their toughest competition last year in the NCAA semifinal versus Syracuse? They squeaked out only 13 goals. Come to think of it, the last time they made it to the NCAA semifinals they were only able to squeak out 13 vs Maryland, as well. They were dominated—in both games. Plus they played only 17 where most teams advancing to the final four played 20 or 21. I know, it’s probably a student or a member of the marketing department, but still…
They were over 20 goals against B1G and Duke as follows:

Ohio State - 2 times
Penn State - once
Rutgers - 3 times
MD - 2 times
Duke - once

Duke game was the only surprise over 20 goals. The biggest surprise was 19-4 over Denver in the second round.
OuttaNowhereWregget

I wasn’t surprised with the Duke number. They played their championship game the week before against Maryland. They were sated by the time they got to Evanston.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:53 am I love Northwestern, but I would be embarrassed to mention this on social media:

I think this is a pretty good, neat statistic that illustrates that the B1G was kind of a mediocre league bottom to top.
OuttaNowhereWregget

And as far as Northwestern goes, until they win another national championship, they will be singing right along with The Boss:

hmmm

Post by hmmm »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:46 pm

I think this is a pretty good, neat statistic that illustrates that the B1G was kind of a mediocre league bottom to top.
Well NW beat Duke 22-10 so what does that say about the ACC top to bottom? NW had a bad day against Syracuse.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Duke hasn’t been a serious contender in the ACC for years and years. The “iron” of the ACC is BC, Carolina and Syracuse. Then everybody else in varying degrees of mediocrity.

A bad day? That’s like saying Nixon had a disappointing second term.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

hmmm wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:50 pm

Well NW beat Duke 22-10 so what does that say about the ACC top to bottom? NW had a bad day against Syracuse.
From that single data point, not much. That...Duke had a bad day? Or just that NU beat badly the No. 5 team in the ACC, which itself had a losing record in conference.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:15 pm

From that single data point, not much. That...Duke had a bad day? Or just that NU beat badly the No. 5 team in the ACC, which itself had a losing record in conference.
Makes my point for me. Can't call one conference mediocre when they didn't play by the same rules in terms of scheduling last year. Duke and UVA didn't beat a ranked team other than each other and were ranked in the top 10 all year due to OOC wins against bad teams. Meanwhile a team like PSU beat MD twice and Rutgers once and wasn't even ranked.
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:26 pm Makes my point for me. Can't call one conference mediocre when they didn't play by the same rules in terms of scheduling last year. Duke and UVA didn't beat a ranked team other than each other and were ranked in the top 10 all year due to OOC wins against bad teams. Meanwhile a team like PSU beat MD twice and Rutgers once and wasn't even ranked.
Well, we know the polls mean less than nothing. If you matched the ACC versus the Big 10 from top to bottom, it wouldn’t even be close. BC would beat Northwestern, Syracuse would destroy Maryland, North Carolina would bulldoze Rutgers...you get the idea.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:35 pm
hmmm wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:26 pm Makes my point for me. Can't call one conference mediocre when they didn't play by the same rules in terms of scheduling last year. Duke and UVA didn't beat a ranked team other than each other and were ranked in the top 10 all year due to OOC wins against bad teams. Meanwhile a team like PSU beat MD twice and Rutgers once and wasn't even ranked.
Well, we know the polls mean less than nothing. If you matched the ACC versus the Big 10 from top to bottom, it wouldn’t even be close. BC would beat Northwestern, Syracuse would destroy Maryland, North Carolina would bulldoze Rutgers...you get the idea.
So you stop at 3 teams? UVA and Duke were no better than Hopkins, PSU, OSU or Michigan this year. And Va Tech and Louisville wouldn't win a game in the Big Ten just like they didn't in the ACC other than against each other and the Va Tech win over UVA.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

You're amazing...and not in a good way. NU played poorly against Syracuse in the Final Four this season. They played poorly...and Syracuse played well. Syracuse deserved the win and that's pretty much all there is to it. Doing some type of Forensic analysis is unnecessary, especially when no one has died. NU is not even close to dead.
And when NU got throttled by Maryland in the Final Four in 2019, you failed to state what happened a few weeks earlier that led up to that event. You took the easy route..."Maryland beat NU by double digits, so all the king's horses and all the king's men..."
That's just not what happened at all.

Seacoaster, I'm very surprised at you. Why? You actually said that the Big 10 "was kind of a mediocre league bottom to top." HUH! So a vaunted POWER 5 conference makes a decision about where their athletes would play and compete because of the Pandemic, and you say that the teams have fallen off because they did not "face strong competition"? I know that it's not that simple and it never is.
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:07 pm You're amazing.
Thanks, Lar. You’re not so bad yourself.

But seriously – when was the last time Northwestern was a serious threat to win the national title? This has been a pattern for years now. They can’t run with the big dogs anymore—let’s face it. Until they win another national championship, I don’t want to hear about their past accomplishments. What-have-you-done-for-me-lately is the engine that drives sports.
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:45 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:35 pm
So you stop at 3 teams? UVA and Duke were no better than Hopkins, PSU, OSU or Michigan this year. And Va Tech and Louisville wouldn't win a game in the Big Ten just like they didn't in the ACC other than against each other and the Va Tech win over UVA.
I thought I was clear by “...you get the idea.” Go the rest of the way with both conferences. By the time you get to the end of those seven games, the ACC will easily be superior.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

hmmm wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:26 pm
seacoaster wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:15 pm

Makes my point for me. Can't call one conference mediocre when they didn't play by the same rules in terms of scheduling last year. Duke and UVA didn't beat a ranked team other than each other and were ranked in the top 10 all year due to OOC wins against bad teams. Meanwhile a team like PSU beat MD twice and Rutgers once and wasn't even ranked.
I wasn't picking a fight -- not knowingly anyway. Couple of things, or three. First, I understand that this last year was unique and hard to determine which conference was better, worse, average, etc. Second, I am a Syracuse fan, that's true, but I'm really a fan of the game. My sense, from ardently watching lacrosse for the last 14 or 15 years, was that the B1G was a mediocre conference compared to the ACC and compared to previous versions of the B1G. And third, Duke and UVA were average in the ACC; they'd finish second and third in the B1G last year. JMHO.
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:07 pm And when NU got throttled by Maryland in the Final Four in 2019, you failed to state what happened a few weeks earlier that led up to that event.
You're not referencing the Big 10 championship, are you? If so--let me quote you to yourself--GTHOH. What is that worth? Especially when you are humiliated by the same team weeks later when it really matters--in the NCAA semifinal. Ohio State knocked off Maryland in the 2015 Big 10 championship and went on to lose their final two games, while Maryland went on to win their 12th national title. Ask Jenny Levy what winning the ACC championship this year means to her after losing to BC in the NCAA semi's. Jenny Levy--who has coached her team to Two national titles during a stretch when NU got to the NCAA title game Zero times, and hasn't been since 2012. Sometimes, one has to look past the reputation to the current state of things.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:16 pm

But seriously – when was the last time Northwestern was a serious threat to win the national title? This has been a pattern for years now. They can’t run with the big dogs anymore—let’s face it. Until they win another national championship, I don’t want to hear about their past accomplishments. What-have-you-done-for-me-lately is the engine that drives sports.

Dude, your vaunted BC has the exact same amount of National Titles as JMU...ONE! Let me repeat that for the hard of hearing ONE! That's good, but it's only one. And it took them FOUR times to get there. JMU did it in their only appearance...and they beat your vaunted BC. What does it say about your allusions of a Dynasty when one of your 3 losses, in the Finals, was to a team from a non-Power 5 conference or as you might say '2nd level'??

As Dale Krantz(Rossington-Collins Band) sang on "Opportunity" :

Opportunity is for the taking
Look inside yourself, you'll see
Then go clean up your own Backyard
Leave my yard to me
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:50 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:16 pm

Dude, your vaunted BC has the exact same amount of National Titles as JMU...ONE! Let me repeat that for the hard of hearing ONE! That's good, but it's only one. And it took them FOUR times to get there. JMU did it in their only appearance...and they beat your vaunted BC. What does it say about your allusions of a Dynasty when one of your 3 losses, in the Finals, was to a team from a non-Power 5 conference or as you might say '2nd level'??

As Dale Krantz(Rossington-Collins Band) sang on "Opportunity" :

Opportunity is for the taking
Look inside yourself, you'll see
Then go clean up your own Backyard
Leave my yard to me
Way to avoid the point, Larry. This is the NU thread, not BC. Any thoughts on what I said about Northwestern? (And you show me one place where I wrote BC was a dynasty.)

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”