Utah

D1 Mens Lacrosse
bar_down

Re: Utah

Post by bar_down »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:41 pm
lilax wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:20 pm Can Utah lure away a solid coach from a mid-major.

Someone like Jon Torpey of High Point?

He coached at Denver for a number of years, and clearly still has ties to the West Coast. Nolting is from Colorado.
If the timing were better, Torpey makes some sense as someone who might make a lateral move for this job. I just can't see it happening now given it's already almost mid August. Cassese too, given he has put his hat in the ring for several openings, though I don't know if he'd be interested in this one—and, again, the timing is terrible. If timing weren't an issue, maybe Brian Fisher of Monmouth? He's done some good things there and was a longtime assistant at Notre Dame, so he's got some experience recruiting non hotbed areas.

I think it's more likely to be a current D1 assistant (or maybe a D2/D3 head coach). Kirwan, Wellner, Unterstein, Georgalas, Durkin, Rewkowski come to mind. I don't think John Grant. Jr. would leave Homewood so quickly but he certainly has connections out west and would be a splashy name.

Wellner is a fantastic coach and a great recruiter. Of all the D1 assistants out there you would be hard pressed to find a guy more ready to step into a head coaching role.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

bar_down wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:01 pm
FMUBart wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:18 pm
bar_down wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:32 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:03 am
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:59 am
BigTom5 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:08 am Or one of Lars’ assistants
Yeah I could see Kirwan putting his hat in the ring for this one, like he has for several other recent openings.

The timing stinks—I’m not sure what kind of candidate they’re going to be able to land at this point. They’re better off naming Manny the interim for the upcoming season and doing the real search next spring/summer though based on that press release it doesn’t sound like that’s in the cards.
Suppose guys like Sowell and Meade are floating around out there. Sowell probably could be a great fit just I’ll put w wear coast athletes and crush western Canada for recruits. He could conceivably take down a well established now Denver program run by Matt Brown if he chose and had some breaks. I think a ball roll out recruit like hell guy is the right candidate. Sowell, Kerwick, Desko, etc. not a top down command and control type coach. Sell skiing and Mormon hotties. The Jazz have the reigning NBA mvp. I like Snowbasin Ogden and Salt Lake a lot personally. There’s also a decent little tech sector in the Provo area I believe it was Macafee and some first generation businesses but more contemporary ones there too.

In fact I have deep inside knowledge of Furman ans would expect Utah to have more success than Furman all day and night based on culture and other considerations.

Sowell is a complete non factor in recruiting. During his time at USNA Wellner did 100% the recruiting for the Midshipmen. On my sons visit Sowell said hello, and that's it, the rest of the time he spent with Wellner. I know four kids currently on their roster and all the parents had the same experience, so I know but wasn't unique to my sons recruitment. One would think that Utah would want a coach that enjoys that aspect of running a program.
His SBU success flies contrary to your narrative; and, he obviously trusted Wellner enough to let him do the heavy lifting--it's called delegating. Don't think for a second that Sowell wasn't involved in every recruiting decision..
It isn't a narrative, It's a lived experience. Only one of the two of us has first hand experience with him and recruiting and it ain't you. Of all the schools my son visited he spent at least an hour with each head coach, in three cases the entire time was spent with the head coach except for at the USNA. There Sewell said hello and the rest of the time was spent with Wellner, who is a great guy.

Obviously he watched film and decided who they should recruit but he had nothing to do with the actual recruiting of the player. You can point to his success at Stoney Brook but it speaks volumes that Wellner traded up within weeks of hitting the street and no one has hired Sowell.

I not bashing him as a person as I didn't speak enough with him to form an opinion, but I strongly suspect that the Utah AD isn't going to hire a hands off recruiting head coach right on the heels of a head coach who didn't enjoy recruiting and largely delegated that responsibility to Manny and Ghitleman. Again that isn't narrative. I spent an afternoon with him while he was still at UNC and he told me personally he detested wooing 16 year olds.

The funny thing is that are people that read these boards that have inside knowledge of the coaches and teams you watch every weekend but don't post because of guys like you. Congrats.
bar down, no need to be quite this testy. You simply have a different point of view, different conclusions.

You had said, "Sowell is a complete non factor in recruiting. During his time at USNA Wellner did 100% the recruiting for the Midshipmen."

That's an awfully strong statement, and it indeed is belied by his success at Stony Brook and Dartmouth. Sowell certainly was a significant part of the recruiting process at those schools, regardless of which coach was delegated to as the recruiting coordinator.

That said, your son's experience is consistent, if I recall correctly, with what others said about Wellner being the primary point of contact for recruits at USNA. Certainly worth sharing.

You're also implying something in Sowell's thinking based on what you heard from a different coach about his thinking. BTW, I'm not sure any of these HC's like wooing 16 year olds, much less the 14 year olds they were having to talk to back a few years ago.

Keep posting your views, please, but no need to get your back up IMO.

BTW, I had a bit of exposure to Rick when he was at Dartmouth...personally I found him quite prickly, uninterested in meeting an alum of the program, even a quite active one on the Friends board. That surprised me at the time. On the other hand, he was terrifically successful at bringing serious talent into the program and marshaling that talent in short order in elevating the program during his tenure. Multiple All-Americans, the first time such since my era.
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

Funding didn't come through to pay the coaches...Seems like a mess for the AD.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

bar_down wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:01 pm
FMUBart wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:18 pm
bar_down wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:32 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:03 am
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:59 am
BigTom5 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:08 am Or one of Lars’ assistants
Yeah I could see Kirwan putting his hat in the ring for this one, like he has for several other recent openings.

The timing stinks—I’m not sure what kind of candidate they’re going to be able to land at this point. They’re better off naming Manny the interim for the upcoming season and doing the real search next spring/summer though based on that press release it doesn’t sound like that’s in the cards.
Suppose guys like Sowell and Meade are floating around out there. Sowell probably could be a great fit just I’ll put w wear coast athletes and crush western Canada for recruits. He could conceivably take down a well established now Denver program run by Matt Brown if he chose and had some breaks. I think a ball roll out recruit like hell guy is the right candidate. Sowell, Kerwick, Desko, etc. not a top down command and control type coach. Sell skiing and Mormon hotties. The Jazz have the reigning NBA mvp. I like Snowbasin Ogden and Salt Lake a lot personally. There’s also a decent little tech sector in the Provo area I believe it was Macafee and some first generation businesses but more contemporary ones there too.

In fact I have deep inside knowledge of Furman ans would expect Utah to have more success than Furman all day and night based on culture and other considerations.

Sowell is a complete non factor in recruiting. During his time at USNA Wellner did 100% the recruiting for the Midshipmen. On my sons visit Sowell said hello, and that's it, the rest of the time he spent with Wellner. I know four kids currently on their roster and all the parents had the same experience, so I know but wasn't unique to my sons recruitment. One would think that Utah would want a coach that enjoys that aspect of running a program.
His SBU success flies contrary to your narrative; and, he obviously trusted Wellner enough to let him do the heavy lifting--it's called delegating. Don't think for a second that Sowell wasn't involved in every recruiting decision..
It isn't a narrative, It's a lived experience. Only one of the two of us has first hand experience with him and recruiting and it ain't you. Of all the schools my son visited he spent at least an hour with each head coach, in three cases the entire time was spent with the head coach except for at the USNA. There Sewell said hello and the rest of the time was spent with Wellner, who is a great guy.

Obviously he watched film and decided who they should recruit but he had nothing to do with the actual recruiting of the player. You can point to his success at Stoney Brook but it speaks volumes that Wellner traded up within weeks of hitting the street and no one has hired Sowell.

I not bashing him as a person as I didn't speak enough with him to form an opinion, but I strongly suspect that the Utah AD isn't going to hire a hands off recruiting head coach right on the heels of a head coach who didn't enjoy recruiting and largely delegated that responsibility to Manny and Ghitleman. Again that isn't narrative. I spent an afternoon with him while he was still at UNC and he told me personally he detested wooing 16 year olds.

The funny thing is that are people that read these boards that have inside knowledge of the coaches and teams you watch every weekend but don't post because of guys like you. Congrats.
Sorry to disagree with you and offend your delicate psyche. I simply said your comments were not consistent with Sowell's recruiting ability prior to Navy(when Wellner wasn't there). And you're correct, Sowell hasn't gotten a new D1 gig, but either has Petro, Starsia, Meade, Desko, et al. But, Wellner hasn't been given a shot either. No worries re: your personal attack on me--I'll get over it :D
Last edited by FMUBart on Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

Wouldn't Utah rather find a HC at a mid major who's done a great job and has a proven track record? Greg Raymond, Taylor Wray, Jon Torpey, Brian Voelker, Andrew McMinn, Ryan Polley, Chris Feifs. I bet these names are on a list for the AD.
smoova

Post by smoova »

Sidelinehorn! wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:37 am Funding didn't come through to pay the coaches...Seems like a mess for the AD.
Woah! If this is true, that program could be in some serious trouble.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Was thinking the same thing. I know Utah secured the necessary funding to start the program--perhaps that $$ has run out, with no follow-up? Have to wonder what the commitment level is?
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

smoova wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:07 am
Sidelinehorn! wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:37 am Funding didn't come through to pay the coaches...Seems like a mess for the AD.
If the funding didn’t come through, and they can’t pay the coaches, why did the AD say they are doing a national search for the new coach? Asking honestly. Can’t see an AD or his associate ADs putting in the time to do a national search if they can’t offer the new coach a salary. Right?
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:40 pm
If the funding didn’t come through, and they can’t pay the coaches, why did the AD say they are doing a national search for the new coach? Asking honestly. Can’t see an AD or his associate ADs putting in the time to do a national search if they can’t offer the new coach a salary. Right?
I had heard multiple recruiting violations may have been a factor.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:59 pm
man, quite a few rumors ...anyone have actual insight?

Seems to me that if there were violations, that would be a dismissal, not the seemingly pleasant sounding exit...and no funding would be strange given statement about national search.

Truth is very hard to suppress.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

That wouldn't surprise me. If Holman were to step down - why would he spend all summer on the recruiting trail before announcing in August? And if the Utah AD wanted to make a change, he most likely would have in late May/early June and not have Holman just waste time recruiting all summer. So something must have happened. Either that, or a health situation - which I am sure he would have mentioned in his quote stepping down.

Any word on the possible search? They need to act quick.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:01 pm

Seems to me that if there were violations, that would be a dismissal, not the seemingly pleasant sounding exit...and no funding would be strange given statement about national search.

Perhaps funding isn't enough to pay at the same/prior scale? All conjecture, just a thought..
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

FMUBart wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:57 am

Perhaps funding isn't enough to pay at the same/prior scale? All conjecture, just a thought..
Bingo.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Sidelinehorn! wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:52 am
FMUBart wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:57 am

Bingo.
Jet Blue money dry up?
“I wish you would!”
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Eh I don't totally buy the funding issue. How much was that staff really making? Couldn't have been that much. If they couldn't afford them to the point where they had to literally leave the program, then it's going to be nearly impossible to hire someone else with college coaching experience.

I think the recruiting thing sounds more likely. Over on the UVA Sabre boards, someone mentioned something about how one of their commits had recently flipped to Utah under murky circumstances, and without going into specifics, the implication IMO was that there was a lot more to that story. Perhaps Utah bringing that player in caused some issues, especially if there had already been some concerns from the admin about recruiting.

I don't know anything, but of the two competing explanations, that one sounds more realistic. And it also makes sense given the weird timeline of events. I'm betting a lot of established D1 head coaches are not going to touch this situation with a 10 foot pole. But an assistant or a D2/D3 guy looking to break into the D1 head coaching ranks may be happy to look past it all.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

A couple of guys that I think could be flying under the radar for this job and haven’t been mentioned (at least I didn’t see them). In no particular order.

Eric Seremet - Rutgers
Bill Wilson - Air Force
Jon Thompson - Air Force
Jon Orson / Brad Ross - Navy
Andrew McMinn - RMU
Kip Turner - UVA
Lelan Rogers - Unemployed
Drew Kelleher - Manhattan
Judd Lattimore - Boston U.
Jamison Koesterer - JHU
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

According to information found online the salaries for Brian Holman and Will Manny were 140K and 66K respectively. Compare that to Suny Bing. Head Coach McKeown at 79K with assistant Kline at 49K. It's often speculated that MAAC head jobs are in that same range or less. I have no idea what the expectations and benchmarks were for the Utah program at year five. Were they expecting a better record or acceptance into a more prestigious conference? Maybe they feel we can get same results for less money or in light of the Supreme Court ruling and NIL maybe it's time to review where lacrosse fits into our long range plans.
Bluecollar

Post by Bluecollar »

InsiderRoll wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:27 am A couple of guys that I think could be flying under the radar for this job and haven’t been mentioned (at least I didn’t see them). In no particular order.

Eric Seremet - Rutgers
Bill Wilson - Air Force
Jon Thompson - Air Force
Jon Orson / Brad Ross - Navy
Andrew McMinn - RMU
Kip Turner - UVA
Lelan Rogers - Unemployed
Drew Kelleher - Manhattan
Judd Lattimore - Boston U.
Jamison Koesterer - JHU
A few more:

Nat St. Laurent (ONU/Redwoods)
Mike Abbott (Penn, offense been clicking since he got there)
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

laxpert wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:43 am According to information found online the salaries for Brian Holman and Will Manny were 140K and 66K respectively. Compare that to Suny Bing. Head Coach McKeown at 79K with assistant Kline at 49K. It's often speculated that MAAC head jobs are in that same range or less. I have no idea what the expectations and benchmarks were for the Utah program at year five. Were they expecting a better record or acceptance into a more prestigious conference? Maybe they feel we can get same results for less money or in light of the Supreme Court ruling and NIL maybe it's time to review where lacrosse fits into our long range plans.
This makes sense to me, together with a hefty travel budget, my guess is Utah will be dialing back the salaries more in line with a Jacksonville type structure... Could be wrong, but the job will now potentially been seen as a stepping stone vs destination job for a HC.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:04 pm
laxpert wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:43 am According to information found online the salaries for Brian Holman and Will Manny were 140K and 66K respectively. Compare that to Suny Bing. Head Coach McKeown at 79K with assistant Kline at 49K. It's often speculated that MAAC head jobs are in that same range or less. I have no idea what the expectations and benchmarks were for the Utah program at year five. Were they expecting a better record or acceptance into a more prestigious conference? Maybe they feel we can get same results for less money or in light of the Supreme Court ruling and NIL maybe it's time to review where lacrosse fits into our long range plans.
This makes sense to me, together with a hefty travel budget, my guess is Utah will be dialing back the salaries more in line with a Jacksonville type structure... Could be wrong, but the job will now potentially been seen as a stepping stone vs destination job for a HC.
I’m sure Salt Lake has a meaningful cost of living factor over Vestal NY. I mean you can’t find much above $250-$300k in Broome Co. This is one of my best friends parents house (where he grew up) https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3332 ... 1392_zpid/

They bought in 1989 for around $250k and 30yrs later it’s worth less than $400k in one of the nicer parts of the area known as South Mountain (town of binghamton on vestal border, the family that developed all the retail in vestal parkway and all that student housing as well lives on the end of this street with a helicopter pad and their house is maybe $750k for all that).
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”