North Carolina

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Lax101

Re: North Carolina

Post by Lax101 »

I think more and more lax fans not connected to UNC root against them because they are stacked with talent each year and have big name players transferring in each year (many of which are probably ring chasing). They have 5 such transfers the past 2 years. I know for a fact that many of these highly touted transfers are going there for little or no scholarship money. There is a reason they are going to UNC and not other schools where money may be available. They want to win. Do others agree? Seems like the average fan loved seeing them lose to BC last year.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:49 pm Not singling you out here Larry, your post was just the most relevant - I actually haven't really seen any transfers come out and say that the transfer was specifically academic, that the school only had the graduate program they were interested in, or that it was academic over athletic. Now, on the other hand, they also don't directly say it's in the hopes of winning a national championship either. I think some posters were just giving the transfers the benefit of the doubt and not wanting to align them with the negative connotation that comes along with "chip chasing" - which, I agree with you Larry, I don't think should really even have that connotation. If they want to do it, it's their choice, their college experience, their life
I think that I remember Sammy Mueller leaving UVA because they didnt allow her to do the graduate program she wanted and that Northwestern would.

Not that her motivations were academic first, but I do think she acknowledged that NU provided her a place to get what she wanted.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:07 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:49 pm Not singling you out here Larry, your post was just the most relevant - I actually haven't really seen any transfers come out and say that the transfer was specifically academic, that the school only had the graduate program they were interested in, or that it was academic over athletic. Now, on the other hand, they also don't directly say it's in the hopes of winning a national championship either. I think some posters were just giving the transfers the benefit of the doubt and not wanting to align them with the negative connotation that comes along with "chip chasing" - which, I agree with you Larry, I don't think should really even have that connotation. If they want to do it, it's their choice, their college experience, their life
I think that I remember Sammy Mueller leaving UVA because they didnt allow her to do the graduate program she wanted and that Northwestern would.

Not that her motivations were academic first, but I do think she acknowledged that NU provided her a place to get what she wanted.
There isn't a problem with that either. That's great when it works out like that. I know her older sister played at NU as well so she was probably familiar with the program.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Lax101 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:00 pm From a lax standpoint I'm surprised Aldave chose UNC. She has not been herself the last 2 years from a mobility standpoint (due in part to injuries). UNC is all about speed. Levy loves speed in the midfield so it might not be a great fit for Aldave. Her game now fits better at attack but there is more competition there than middy. At attack you have 4 lefties in Ortega, Geiersbach, Scanone and Gentile (incoming sophomore hurt last year). You have Wurzburger, Rose Growney and Warehime and freshman redshirt Reilly Casey. On top of that there could be 2022 freshman coming in. It's going to be a battle for playing time at attack. I definitely don't see Aldave starting on attack. I see her playing attack on a string for one of the middies or playing second line middy. She is a great girl with a super high lax IQ but when I look at the UNC roster and how she might fit in I just don't see her having a big role.
The '22 roster is out and #31 (Wurzburger has #13) will play attack:

Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:49 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:43 pm
I am all for the players going where they want to go and using their Sport(s) to further their education. BRAVO! However, don't try to gas me up on the tank of "this is the ONLY place that had the graduate program she was looking for". Such high faluttin crapola!
Just say "I want to win a National Championship and School X gives me the best opportunity to do that". Leave the education out of it completely or make it secondary.

KEEP IT REAL!
Not singling you out here Larry, your post was just the most relevant - I actually haven't really seen any transfers come out and say that the transfer was specifically academic, that the school only had the graduate program they were interested in, or that it was academic over athletic. Now, on the other hand, they also don't directly say it's in the hopes of winning a national championship either. I think some posters were just giving the transfers the benefit of the doubt and not wanting to align them with the negative connotation that comes along with "chip chasing" - which, I agree with you Larry, I don't think should really even have that connotation. If they want to do it, it's their choice, their college experience, their life
When Charlotte north left Duke to transfer …and ultimately chose BC she told various people it was because the major she wanted to pursue was not available at Duke. Because at the time you weren’t allowed to transfer to same conference…so she petitioned to go to BC and that was the reason she cited. I’m sure that was a legit reason .
McKeldin45

Post by McKeldin45 »

Isn’t North’s major Sociology?
fourtyfive

Post by fourtyfive »

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:53 pm
I am all for the players going where they want to go and using their Sport(s) to further their education. BRAVO! However, don't try to gas me up on the tank of "this is the ONLY place that had the graduate program she was looking for". Such high faluttin crapola!
Just say "I want to win a National Championship and School X gives me the best opportunity to do that". Leave the education out of it completely or make it secondary.

KEEP IT REAL!
Not singling you out here Larry, your post was just the most relevant - I actually haven't really seen any transfers come out and say that the transfer was specifically academic, that the school only had the graduate program they were interested in, or that it was academic over athletic. Now, on the other hand, they also don't directly say it's in the hopes of winning a national championship either. I think some posters were just giving the transfers the benefit of the doubt and not wanting to align them with the negative connotation that comes along with "chip chasing" - which, I agree with you Larry, I don't think should really even have that connotation. If they want to do it, it's their choice, their college experience, their life
When Charlotte north left Duke to transfer …and ultimately chose BC she told various people it was because the major she wanted to pursue was not available at Duke. Because at the time you weren’t allowed to transfer to same conference…so she petitioned to go to BC and that was the reason she cited. I’m sure that was a legit reason .
North cited mental distress….Y’all never ever have the right facts on these boards. They didn’t even spell Aldave’s high school right in that post & Levy asked her to play midfield. Once again stop assuming
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

McKeldin45 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:57 pm Isn’t North’s major Sociology?
Yes. Not sure where that nonsense came from for why she left Duke. That's not true
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

fourtyfive wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:10 pm

KEEP IT REAL!
North cited mental distress….Y’all never ever have the right facts on these boards. They didn’t even spell Aldave’s high school right in that post & Levy asked her to play midfield. Once again stop assuming
Before mental distress…it was unavailable major. No assumption.
fourtyfive

Post by fourtyfive »

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:19 pm

KEEP IT REAL!
so basically a BS reason you just said so yourself 😂 if one excuse didn’t work let me try another!
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:19 pm

KEEP IT REAL!
Duke has a Sociology program
McKeldin45

Post by McKeldin45 »

I have no clue how BC got her past the one year wait out. She must have gotten the rich white girl pass.
OuttaNowhereWregget

fourtyfive wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:10 pm Levy asked her to play midfield.
Do you mean for the upcoming season? I may be misunderstanding you. On the '22 Carolina roster, Aldave is listed as #31 and as Attacker. As I say--I leave room for the fact that I may be misinterpreting what you're saying.
McKeldin45

Post by McKeldin45 »

I wonder how Charlotte did get to play right away? Hmmm.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

McKeldin45 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:42 pm I wonder how Charlotte did get to play right away? Hmmm.
Duke agreed to release her. Same thing happened with Connor Cannizzaro left MD to go to Denver. He ended up being the best player on the DU team that beat the Terps in the championship game.
OuttaNowhereWregget

McKeldin45 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:42 pm I wonder how Charlotte did get to play right away? Hmmm.
I remember how it all developed. Us BC fans were excited to learn that North was coming to The Heights. But then cold water when we learned of the one year within conference waiting rule. It was discussed on these boards at length at the time. And then all of a sudden, the restriction was lifted and lo and behold, Charlotte was to play in 2020. I still don't know what happened behind the scenes. Ultimately, it isn't important (to me anyway)--she was and is one of the major reasons BC is now a national champion. No disputing that. Scored 8 goals during the final weekend--6 in the final game. Tewaaraton winner. Whatever happened to allow her to bypass a rule that most certainly was put in place because some men's college football or basketball teams were taking advantage, it was just and right that Charlotte North was able to play immediately.
McKeldin45

Post by McKeldin45 »

Well I guess North was another sociology major at Duke. A rich legacy. I guess that’s why she went for the title at BC. She could have gone to JHU and gotten beaten 3 times by the worst team Maryland has fielded, even with Janine Tucker’s 3 second violation defense.
Last edited by McKeldin45 on Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OuttaNowhereWregget

It still tickles me that North got a measure of revenge against Carolina. Her being discussed under the North Carolina topic has to be a bit galling to Tar Heels fans. She was mocked by players on the Heels sidelines when she was with Duke during the ACC 2019 semifinal. Now two years later, her display case bursting with hardware, anyone laughing at her looks silly. Anyone attempting to diminish her accomplishments and world class skill and athleticism--pathetic.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:55 pm
I remember how it all developed. Us BC fans were excited to learn that North was coming to The Heights. But then cold water when we learned of the one year within conference waiting rule. It was discussed on these boards at length at the time. And then all of a sudden, the restriction was lifted and lo and behold, Charlotte was to play in 2020. I still don't know what happened behind the scenes. Ultimately, it isn't important (to me anyway)--she was and is one of the major reasons BC is now a national champion. No disputing that. Scored 8 goals during the final weekend--6 in the final game. Tewaaraton winner. Whatever happened to allow her to bypass a rule that most certainly was put in place because some men's college football or basketball teams were taking advantage, it was just and right that Charlotte North was able to play immediately.
I mean unless other female players in the past, who wished to transfer, did not because this rule was in place....I guess it just sucked for anyone else.
When my daughter played in the ACC it was known that you could not transfer within your conference unless you wanted to sit out a year. But hey it worked out for CN so thats all that matters.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

KEEP IT REAL!
Wasn't assuming. There was speculation earlier about Aldave fitting in to the midfield or attacking units, I was just adding defense because she is capable of playing on all 3.

I guess I should have been more specific...when I mentioned transfers citing academics as a reason to transfer I was referring to 5th year COVID transfers looking to take their 5th year elsewhere after graduating with their degree from their respective college/university

There are also many reasons beyond academics and athletics that an athlete chooses to transfer that are just as valid as athletics and academics - social/student life is a really big one.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”