D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: North Carolina

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

hmmm wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:53 am
Cagekeeper wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:47 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:07 am
Bart wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:34 am
Lax101 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:03 pm One last clarification regarding LI players. I'm not talking about "all or most LI players". Like most areas the overwhelming majority of players on LI are not very good and do not have the grit and determination factor I am referring to. I'm talking about the upper Tier high D1 prospect. We can agree to disagree but in my experience having multiple D1 daughters that played against LI for years there is somewhat unique about the upper Tier D1 LI lax player. I think having 7 of them on BC helped them navigate their way from a rank of #17 to National Champs. It certainly was not the only factor but those kids had fearlessness , confidence and a tenacity that is needed to compete at the highest level.
What you are describing is exactly what separates the average prospect from any upper Tier D1 women's lacrosse prospect. It is not endemic to LI kids.
8-)
I believe Cuse has 15 or so Long Island players as well. Something coaches like about the style/attitude I assume
That's not really surprising though is it? LI kids look at Syracuse as a destination school. Most girls from MD have no interest in spending 4 years in Syracuse.
What do you all think about Boston as a destination? What’s the general consensus about the city and the surrounding area? The academics? And the actual lacrosse program?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:06 pm
hmmm wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:53 am
Cagekeeper wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:47 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:07 am
Bart wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:34 am
Lax101 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:03 pm One last clarification regarding LI players. I'm not talking about "all or most LI players". Like most areas the overwhelming majority of players on LI are not very good and do not have the grit and determination factor I am referring to. I'm talking about the upper Tier high D1 prospect. We can agree to disagree but in my experience having multiple D1 daughters that played against LI for years there is somewhat unique about the upper Tier D1 LI lax player. I think having 7 of them on BC helped them navigate their way from a rank of #17 to National Champs. It certainly was not the only factor but those kids had fearlessness , confidence and a tenacity that is needed to compete at the highest level.
What you are describing is exactly what separates the average prospect from any upper Tier D1 women's lacrosse prospect. It is not endemic to LI kids.
8-)
I believe Cuse has 15 or so Long Island players as well. Something coaches like about the style/attitude I assume
That's not really surprising though is it? LI kids look at Syracuse as a destination school. Most girls from MD have no interest in spending 4 years in Syracuse.
What do you all think about Boston as a destination? What’s the general consensus about the city and the surrounding area? The academics? And the actual lacrosse program?
BC is probably a tier below the more southern ACC schools(UVA, UNC, Duke) and some of the Big Ten Schools in terms of where MD girls really want to go. Mostly because being from here those are the teams you see a lot and historically those were so popular. You have a lot of alums of those schools in MD and the club directors have great relationships with those coaches. BC is definitely more of a draw than Syracuse due to location and academics. Having said that, winning a national championship can only help them.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:19 am People close to Aldave are saying it will most likely be UNC. Not sure that it is the best fit for her from a lax standpoint.
Now that Carolina is confirmed, would you care to expound?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:27 pm
Lax101 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:19 am People close to Aldave are saying it will most likely be UNC. Not sure that it is the best fit for her from a lax standpoint.
UNC plays a speedy transition game. Doesn't necessarily fit Andie's strengths. Not trying to speak for Lax101 but those are my thoughts.
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:55 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:27 pm
UNC plays a speedy transition game. Doesn't necessarily fit Andie's strengths. Not trying to speak for Lax101 but those are my thoughts.
Interesting. How do you think Levy will use Aldave? How would you use her if you were the coach?
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

From a lax standpoint I'm surprised Aldave chose UNC. She has not been herself the last 2 years from a mobility standpoint (due in part to injuries). UNC is all about speed. Levy loves speed in the midfield so it might not be a great fit for Aldave. Her game now fits better at attack but there is more competition there than middy. At attack you have 4 lefties in Ortega, Geiersbach, Scanone and Gentile (incoming sophomore hurt last year). You have Wurzburger, Rose Growney and Warehime and freshman redshirt Reilly Casey. On top of that there could be 2022 freshman coming in. It's going to be a battle for playing time at attack. I definitely don't see Aldave starting on attack. I see her playing attack on a string for one of the middies or playing second line middy. She is a great girl with a super high lax IQ but when I look at the UNC roster and how she might fit in I just don't see her having a big role.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Is it possible it isn't all about lacrosse? Maybe UNC offers a graduate program she is really interested in and this helped with her decision to play an extra year of college lacrosse.
Lewisfrederick

Post by Lewisfrederick »

Lax101 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:00 pm From a lax standpoint I'm surprised Aldave chose UNC. She has not been herself the last 2 years from a mobility standpoint (due in part to injuries). UNC is all about speed. Levy loves speed in the midfield so it might not be a great fit for Aldave. Her game now fits better at attack but there is more competition there than middy. At attack you have 4 lefties in Ortega, Geiersbach, Scanone and Gentile (incoming sophomore hurt last year). You have Wurzburger, Rose Growney and Warehime and freshman redshirt Reilly Casey. On top of that there could be 2022 freshman coming in. It's going to be a battle for playing time at attack. I definitely don't see Aldave starting on attack. I see her playing attack on a string for one of the middies or playing second line middy. She is a great girl with a super high lax IQ but when I look at the UNC roster and how she might fit in I just don't see her having a big role.
I posted this in the Transfer portal discussion, but I feel like I should post this again here.
“Aldave did not struggle in 2020. The reason she did not score 30 points was because of the pandemic limiting Notre Dame to 7 games. In those 7 games she scored 17 goals and was named a Inside Lax’s 1st Team All American. This past year she was dealing with injuries all year, however let’s not create some false narrative that she has been struggling for multiple years, because that is simply false.”
You claiming that she has not been herself these last two years is not accurate. She is one season removed from being a 1st team all American.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

TNLAX wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:14 pm Is it possible it isn't all about lacrosse? Maybe UNC offers a graduate program she is really interested in and this helped with her decision to play an extra year of college lacrosse.
Nope, it's the best shot to win a national championship.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

TNLAX wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:14 pm Is it possible it isn't all about lacrosse? Maybe UNC offers a graduate program she is really interested in and this helped with her decision to play an extra year of college lacrosse.

Soooo, none of the other D1 programs(100+) have A graduate program or THEE graduate program that she would be interested in, Right? Really? GTHOH! You know what it is, so call it that...Ring chasing.
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:06 pm

Soooo, none of the other D1 programs(100+) have A graduate program or THEE graduate program that she would be interested in, Right? Really? GTHOH! You know what it is, so call it that...Ring chasing.
tff. I was thinkin it, but didn’t wanna say it.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:25 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:06 pm

tff. I was thinkin it, but didn’t wanna say it.
I am all for the players going where they want to go and using their Sport(s) to further their education. BRAVO! However, don't try to gas me up on the tank of "this is the ONLY place that had the graduate program she was looking for". Such high faluttin crapola!
Just say "I want to win a National Championship and School X gives me the best opportunity to do that". Leave the education out of it completely or make it secondary.

KEEP IT REAL!
richard

Post by richard »

I assume that applies to the ladies headed to Md. also. :lol:
McKeldin45

Post by McKeldin45 »

I’m just asking??? How many National Championships does UNC have in WLAX?
OuttaNowhereWregget

richard wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:10 am I assume that applies to the ladies headed to Md. also. :lol:
I don’t know for sure but I assume one of the qualifying rebuttals could be, “Well, all the players who have transferred to Terpville this offseason aren’t blue chip players like Aldave.”

As for me, I think your (great) point should be considered a given.
OuttaNowhereWregget

McKeldin45 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:23 am I’m just asking??? How many National Championships does UNC have in WLAX?
That would be two, but I get the impression this is a rhetorical question.
laxstan8

Post by laxstan8 »

Lax101 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:00 pm From a lax standpoint I'm surprised Aldave chose UNC. She has not been herself the last 2 years from a mobility standpoint (due in part to injuries). UNC is all about speed. Levy loves speed in the midfield so it might not be a great fit for Aldave. Her game now fits better at attack but there is more competition there than middy. At attack you have 4 lefties in Ortega, Geiersbach, Scanone and Gentile (incoming sophomore hurt last year). You have Wurzburger, Rose Growney and Warehime and freshman redshirt Reilly Casey. On top of that there could be 2022 freshman coming in. It's going to be a battle for playing time at attack. I definitely don't see Aldave starting on attack. I see her playing attack on a string for one of the middies or playing second line middy. She is a great girl with a super high lax IQ but when I look at the UNC roster and how she might fit in I just don't see her having a big role.
I agree with this. UNC's style of offense doesn't strike me as something Aldave would buy into, solely because she is not traditionally a run and gun player like UNC recruits. However, she could be working this off season to better suit her game to the UNC offense. But then again, why didn't she choose a school with an offense that she could fall right into? UNC seems like a tough team to penetrate right now, even if you're Andie Aldave. I'm interested to see how her piece fits into the puzzle.
richard

Post by richard »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:25 am
richard wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:10 am I assume that applies to the ladies headed to Md. also. :lol:
I don’t know for sure but I assume one of the qualifying rebuttals could be, “Well, all the players who have transferred to Terpville this offseason aren’t blue chip players like Aldave.”

So, that is a non qualifier?
OuttaNowhereWregget

richard wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:54 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:25 am

So, that is a non qualifier?
Indubitably, sir!
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:43 pm
I am all for the players going where they want to go and using their Sport(s) to further their education. BRAVO! However, don't try to gas me up on the tank of "this is the ONLY place that had the graduate program she was looking for". Such high faluttin crapola!
Just say "I want to win a National Championship and School X gives me the best opportunity to do that". Leave the education out of it completely or make it secondary.

KEEP IT REAL!
Not singling you out here Larry, your post was just the most relevant - I actually haven't really seen any transfers come out and say that the transfer was specifically academic, that the school only had the graduate program they were interested in, or that it was academic over athletic. Now, on the other hand, they also don't directly say it's in the hopes of winning a national championship either. I think some posters were just giving the transfers the benefit of the doubt and not wanting to align them with the negative connotation that comes along with "chip chasing" - which, I agree with you Larry, I don't think should really even have that connotation. If they want to do it, it's their choice, their college experience, their life

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”