Will Maryland be a Powerhouse again in 2022?

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Will Maryland be a Powerhouse again in 2022?

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Maryland75 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:23 am Please don’t take responses out of context. The quote you used states….The pandemic season and last season are not an indication of the program’s demise nor are players transferring out of Maryland. I never said that Maryland didn’t have transfers out, only that it is not an indication of the programs demise.
For the record, (and I’m not saying you are referencing me when using this word), but I would never use the word ‘demise’ in relation to Maryland. After watching them over the last season and a half – Decline? Yes. Demise? Never. And I leave plenty of room for them to rise again.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

I look at the meaning of decline or demise as pretty much the same thing. Maryland lost a tremendous amount of talent and leadership after their 2019 championship win and faced rebuilding. Perhaps we do hold the program in too high esteem to think that they will always be a perpetual champion. The shortened 2020 season didn’t allow newcomers to get their feet wet and 2021 didn’t allow any contests out of the Big Ten. My take is the teams that did well in 2021 had big star performers (BC, Northwestern, UNC and Syracuse) that carried their teams along with other experienced players. This plus parity is becoming more and more prevalent (Stonybrook, Florida, Loyola etc). I suspect Maryland and Northwestern as well as BC, UNC and perhaps Syracuse will be the core of top teams for some time.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Maryland75 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:23 am I look at the meaning of decline or demise as pretty much the same thing. Maryland lost a tremendous amount of talent and leadership after their 2019 championship win and faced rebuilding. Perhaps we do hold the program in too high esteem to think that they will always be a perpetual champion. The shortened 2020 season didn’t allow newcomers to get their feet wet and 2021 didn’t allow any contests out of the Big Ten. My take is the teams that did well in 2021 had big star performers (BC, Northwestern, UNC and Syracuse) that carried their teams along with other experienced players. This plus parity is becoming more and more prevalent (Stonybrook, Florida, Loyola etc). I suspect Maryland and Northwestern as well as BC, UNC and perhaps Syracuse will be the core of top teams for some time.
Good points.

I looked up both words before I wrote my last post. Demise means death. Decline means descent.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

I was thinking of demise in the terms of succession or transfer of title. I stand corrected though… it should be decline.

Demise
to transfer or be transferred by inheritance, will, or succession
6 tr (Property law) to transfer (an estate, etc.) for a limited period; lease
7 tr to transfer (sovereignty, a title, etc.) by or as if by the death, deposition, etc., of a ruler
OuttaNowhereWregget

Maryland75 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:42 am I was thinking of demise in the terms of succession or transfer of title. I stand corrected though… it should be decline.

Demise
to transfer or be transferred by inheritance, will, or succession
6 tr (Property law) to transfer (an estate, etc.) for a limited period; lease
7 tr to transfer (sovereignty, a title, etc.) by or as if by the death, deposition, etc., of a ruler
I love words. So interesting how the English language has developed over the centuries.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Maryland75 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:23 am I look at the meaning of decline or demise as pretty much the same thing. Maryland lost a tremendous amount of talent and leadership after their 2019 championship win and faced rebuilding. Perhaps we do hold the program in too high esteem to think that they will always be a perpetual champion. The shortened 2020 season didn’t allow newcomers to get their feet wet and 2021 didn’t allow any contests out of the Big Ten. My take is the teams that did well in 2021 had big star performers (BC, Northwestern, UNC and Syracuse) that carried their teams along with other experienced players. This plus parity is becoming more and more prevalent (Stonybrook, Florida, Loyola etc). I suspect Maryland and Northwestern as well as BC, UNC and perhaps Syracuse will be the core of top teams for some time.
What do you see as Maryland’s biggest challenges in ‘22?
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

UMD is royalty
NW, UNC are blue bloods
BC,Syr are upstarts.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Maryland75 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:22 pm Maryland, UNC and BC appear to be the major winners of the countries best recruits for 21/22. Northwestern is probably 4th. These recruits are picked by different Lacrosse magazines and really are picked for their performance statistics. I question why you feel that their choice of college program would cause them to be placed higher.
Because it happens all the time. Girls committed to top end D1 schools are always ranked higher. It will play itself out when they get to college. I have seen every 2021 and 2022 player committed to MD play many, many times. Some of them are great players. Some of them are real head scratchers. Especially with the 2022s. Maybe it is because they didn't get to see them play the summer before 9/1 due to Covid. There's a reason they got rolled by commits of several other schools at the 2 committed tournaments.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:04 pm
hmmm wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:54 pm She's also made some curious recruiting decisions in the 2021/2022 class. Yes those girls are ranked high, but mostly because they're committed to MD and she gets the benefit of the doubt.
Intriguing perspective. Please expound, if you would.
I liken it to the McDonald's All America high school basketball game. The teams are selected after kids make their college commitments. Shockingly, the game is filled with Duke and Carolina commits...
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

At this point it appears that the defense will be more experienced with the addition of Abby Bosco and Clancy Rheude as well as Tori Barretta returning for her Covid 5th year. There is always the possibility that Grace Griffin could fill the spot that Lizzie Colson performed but that puts additional pressure on the offense which underperformed last year. The addition of Aurora Cordingly is a plus on the attack side as well as Shannon Smith at midfield should also help. The biggest challenge on offense will be the integration of skills and how they blend. This includes returning players like Hannah Leaubecker, Libby May and shaylan Ahearn. I’m sure there will also be some integration needed for their new recruits as well since the incoming class is supposedly stellar. Cathy has her work cut out for her on offense but should have loads of talent to work with. I’m some ways it looks like the 2019 team which integrated Erica Evans so successfully but with more people.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

Essexfenwick wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:33 am UMD is royalty
NW, UNC are blue bloods
BC,Syr are upstarts.
I’m not sure I would consider UNC as a blue blood… their two championships are fairly recent and with the talent they have had I would expect more then that. Although Princeton hasn’t won since 2003 they have won three championships as has Virginia with their last in 2004.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Maryland75 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:07 am At this point it appears that the defense will be more experienced with the addition of Abby Bosco and Clancy Rheude as well as Tori Barretta returning for her Covid 5th year. There is always the possibility that Grace Griffin could fill the spot that Lizzie Colson performed but that puts additional pressure on the offense which underperformed last year. The addition of Aurora Cordingly is a plus on the attack side as well as Shannon Smith at midfield should also help. The biggest challenge on offense will be the integration of skills and how they blend. This includes returning players like Hannah Leaubecker, Libby May and shaylan Ahearn. I’m sure there will also be some integration needed for their new recruits as well since the incoming class is supposedly stellar. Cathy has her work cut out for her on offense but should have loads of talent to work with. I’m some ways it looks like the 2019 team which integrated Erica Evans so successfully but with more people.
Very detailed analysis. Thanks for that.

How does Maryland look in goal?

Who will Maryland’s toughest opponents be in the regular season?

Which game(s) will you circle on the calendar when the ‘22 schedule comes out?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Essexfenwick wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:33 am UMD is royalty
NW, UNC are blue bloods
BC,Syr are upstarts.
Great word that ‘upstarts’. I don’t know how much of a Marx Brothers fan you are, but that was the cause of all the trouble in Duck Soup.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

cltlax wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:56 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:04 pm
hmmm wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:54 pm She's also made some curious recruiting decisions in the 2021/2022 class. Yes those girls are ranked high, but mostly because they're committed to MD and she gets the benefit of the doubt.
Intriguing perspective. Please expound, if you would.
I liken it to the McDonald's All America high school basketball game. The teams are selected after kids make their college commitments. Shockingly, the game is filled with Duke and Carolina commits...
I’m not sure the same metrics follow in Lacrosse. Maryland has had highly ranked players such as Taylor Cummings, Megan Whittle, Jen Giles, Katie Schwarzmann, Brooke Griffin etc. to name a few. And these are only from Maryland. There are an equal number from UNC, Northwestern, and other schools.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Maryland75 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:07 am At this point it appears that the defense will be more experienced with the addition of Abby Bosco and Clancy Rheude as well as Tori Barretta returning for her Covid 5th year. There is always the possibility that Grace Griffin could fill the spot that Lizzie Colson performed but that puts additional pressure on the offense which underperformed last year. The addition of Aurora Cordingly is a plus on the attack side as well as Shannon Smith at midfield should also help. The biggest challenge on offense will be the integration of skills and how they blend. This includes returning players like Hannah Leaubecker, Libby May and shaylan Ahearn. I’m sure there will also be some integration needed for their new recruits as well since the incoming class is supposedly stellar. Cathy has her work cut out for her on offense but should have loads of talent to work with. I’m some ways it looks like the 2019 team which integrated Erica Evans so successfully but with more people.
2 of the incoming recruits are coming of ACL surgeries and with both of them speed is by far their top skill so who knows how long it will take to get back to where they were. One of the 2 most likely is out this year as she did extensive damage to her knee. They have a 3rd recruit that may never play lacrosse again due to concussion injuries. I would pump the brakes on this class being "stellar". The goalie is good. The girl that got screwed over by Stanford is good between the 30s. The 2 other defenders besides Kennedy are average. Speaking of Stanford their 2021 class is MUCH better than MD's. But shockingly they all weren't on the UA team.....Probably because they are committed to Stanford and not MD,
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

hmmm wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:58 am
2 of the incoming recruits are coming of ACL surgeries and with both of them speed is by far their top skill so who knows how long it will take to get back to where they were. One of the 2 most likely is out this year as she did extensive damage to her knee. They have a 3rd recruit that may never play lacrosse again due to concussion injuries. I would pump the brakes on this class being "stellar". The goalie is good. The girl that got screwed over by Stanford is good between the 30s. The 2 other defenders besides Kennedy are average. Speaking of Stanford their 2021 class is MUCH better than MD's. But shockingly they all weren't on the UA team.....Probably because they are committed to Stanford and not MD,

SPEED is NOT a skill, it's a gift. A skill is something one can ascertain through teaching and learning. Through training I can help someone improve their speed, quickness, vertical jump but not to the extent of someone who already has those gifts.

As I have said before the Maryland staff is one of the best(Cathy Reese, Lauri Kenis, Caitlyn Phipps) and they have the hardware to show. Some Joan-come-latelys have one trophy and some of you are ready to crown them. Remember what the late Coach Dennis Green said :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPmQC86 ... rsafeway99
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

hmmm wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:45 am
Maryland75 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:22 pm Maryland, UNC and BC appear to be the major winners of the countries best recruits for 21/22. Northwestern is probably 4th. These recruits are picked by different Lacrosse magazines and really are picked for their performance statistics. I question why you feel that their choice of college program would cause them to be placed higher.
Because it happens all the time. Girls committed to top end D1 schools are always ranked higher. It will play itself out when they get to college. I have seen every 2021 and 2022 player committed to MD play many, many times. Some of them are great players. Some of them are real head scratchers. Especially with the 2022s. Maybe it is because they didn't get to see them play the summer before 9/1 due to Covid. There's a reason they got rolled by commits of several other schools at the 2 committed tournaments.
I can see where you would be able to view the 2022 players because they all played club this year, but to be fair the 2021’s haven’t played with their club teams since 2019. Getting together with a bunch of committed and numerous 2023 players to fill out the roster is hardly any way to judge a group. If you are making your assessment based on 2019 then you are way off as far as talent goes. I for one couldn’t make an assessment today because there has been no body of work for the last 2 years. Just one mans opinion. Going by High school play isn’t indicative either as many players don’t even play the same position in High School.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Congrats to incoming Demma Hall ... USA Today National HS Player of the Year.

https://twitter.com/MarylandWLax/status ... 09/photo/1
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Essexfenwick wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:28 pm Congrats to incoming Demma Hall ... USA Today National HS Player of the Year.

Wonder what that is based on.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

hmmm wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:47 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:28 pm Congrats to incoming Demma Hall ... USA Today National HS Player of the Year.

Wonder what that is based on.
I think its based on making fans of teams with 8 or fewer national championships furious.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”