ODAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
SouthernLax

Re: ODAC

Post by SouthernLax »

Was in Farmville on Saturday (horrible weather) watching my nephew who plays for CNU and from what we saw there are a lot of kinks to work out for HSC. They have some athletic youngsters that probably had success playing in high school against lower level talent that allowed them to get by without using good lax fundamentals or having a strong lax IQ. That dog doesn't hunt against better college teams. Lots of bad passes, bad decisions, questionable shots and unforced errors. I did hear someone mention that their offense has been struggling to get any rhythm the last couple of games yet they continue to run the same O group out there time after time? Pretty sure CNU ran as many as three different O mid lines at times on Saturday. Maybe HSC could try some new blood to mix it up some? Do hope they get it worked out, we all want Southern lacrosse to get stronger and represent!!!
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

NOKE getting sMOKEed..14-1 end of 3rd.
I like to believe it’s wet grass they are not used to playing on?
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

SouthernLax wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:44 pm Was in Farmville on Saturday (horrible weather) watching my nephew who plays for CNU and from what we saw there are a lot of kinks to work out for HSC. They have some athletic youngsters that probably had success playing in high school against lower level talent that allowed them to get by without using good lax fundamentals or having a strong lax IQ. That dog doesn't hunt against better college teams. Lots of bad passes, bad decisions, questionable shots and unforced errors. I did hear someone mention that their offense has been struggling to get any rhythm the last couple of games yet they continue to run the same O group out there time after time? Pretty sure CNU ran as many as three different O mid lines at times on Saturday. Maybe HSC could try some new blood to mix it up some? Do hope they get it worked out, we all want Southern lacrosse to get stronger and represent!!!
There are a crap ton of young guys that they have to work with. They only returned two players that attempted at least three shots a game (John Burke, Jared Medwar) and only three that attempted at least two shots a game (Jack Hayden). Jayden split time as a backup attackman and a second line middie. Burke played on the first line mid but is back to his natural attack position now, Medwar started on attack last year. Everyone else is either a freshmen, a sophomore who was lightly used last year, or an upperclassmen that just isn't good enough to play regularly. They also just recently got back first line middie Charlie Doetzer from an injury, I believe, who played on the second line midfield unit last year. He missed the first three games, and no he did not play against Greensboro despite the stats having him as played.

So there is going to be some growing pains, especially with the schedule they have had thus far. Not an elite schedule, but four traditionally competitive to great teams and then a pushover in Greensboro. A lot of things that need to improve, most of which would be maintaining possession it seems, but 3-2 is the record the team have at this point. They haven't won a game they should lose, haven't lost a game they should win. This isn't going to be as good of a team as the last two years, the amount of talent they lost over the past two seasons is absolutely massive, it's just too much to overcome to maintain that same level of success. But that's fine, every program has rebuilding years at some point.

Mary Washington took ranked Ursinus to OT over the weekend, and H-SC beat Mary Wash somewhat handily by 7, and that was without Doetzer. Not trying to say that means H-Sc should be ranked and that they would beat Ursinus, just saying it shows that Mary Wash is probably a solid team at worse, probably would be in the middle pack of the ODAC this year.

They could have easily folded and accepted defeat down 6-1 on the road at Catholic but showed tremendous resolve for such a young team to come back to win it in OT, and they did that without their starting goalkeeper who was inactive due to illness as well as without Doetzer.

They only lost to CNU 12-9, a team that just manhandled a far more experienced Roanoke team 17-3.

Cabrini whipped them, but frankly they haven't matched up well with Cabrini in years it seems and this year certainly wasn't going to be any closer given all the losses from last year's squad.
Whodem52

Post by Whodem52 »

Holy Hell Roanoke. Must have had one hell of a party the night before 17-3...... :?:
Nothinbutthelax

LYN dropped a 12-11 heart breaker. Had their chances but caught a couple bad break and York came through.
Coach K ran 3 middie lines and attack was in sync. They played fast are are dangerous. 3 losses to teams in top 7.
Need at least one win at Mustang classic and runner up to get at large bid IMHO.

NOKE struggles continue. 20-6 vs. Denison at home dispells my theory the wet grass was the cause at CNU

13-10 loss to F&M at the home of the generals was surprising considering LYN handled them away.. AJ our hurts but can’t be the only issues.. ODACs shaping up to be quite a battle..
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

W&L while talented is simply not playing well together. The bugs looked good today, Coach K has done a good job with the resources he has. They beat W&L last year when it mattered and did not think they could this year even when AJ gets back but not so sure after today. Bugs are real. Won every category today in a one goal loss to York, got hurt at the dot on faceoffs or it could have gone their way
Nothinbutthelax

Sarro back in line-up and NOKE woke up. Nice beat down on Stevens.
Certainly an eye opener after shaky past couple. Glad to see it.
ODAC just tightened up..
viper

Post by viper »

Nothinbutthelax wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:39 pm Sarro back in line-up and NOKE woke up. Nice beat down on Stevens.
Certainly an eye opener after shaky past couple. Glad to see it.
ODAC just tightened up..
For a beat down, the game was not really decided until the very end as Stevens surged in the fourth quarter. While Lindley and Sarro combined for 9 of NOKE's 12, it was Davies in goal that was the difference with 22 saves.
Nothinbutthelax

Best down in sense Stevens was highly ranked..
Davies is a game changer. I suspect he may be a difference in the battles vs. LYN and W&L. Looking forward to watching.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

The goalie of the winning team had to make 22 saves in a 12-10 game
Stevens led Roanoke in groundballs, turnovers committed, clearing %, face-offs, man up %, shots, and shots on goal. Roanoke had the advantage in saves.

If that's a beatdown, then boy do I have a lot of things I need to reexamine about my life and the world in general.
Nothinbutthelax

10-5 lead after 3 with fairly even stats.
Davies had 9 saves in 4th with a Stevens marking 11 GBs, 17 shots and 6 of 8 FO’s in 4th.
Stevens was a top ranked team. Game on neutral turf and NOKE went 0-2 on man-up and 17-25 clears.
An upset and will retract going with Beat up.
Hoping NOKE gives Dickenson same effort.

LYN and W&L with wide margin wins today clearing bench in ODAC openers. Fun to see the younger talent get game experience.
LYN Has 3 game in next 7 days with Elizabethtown on Teirney field at US Lax HOF complex tomorrow. The back to backs are good prep for Mustang classic next week where they meet Stevenson Friday night and Wesleyan Saturday night. Also good prep. for ODAC tourney...
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Guess William Peace isn't providing live stats or video for the Hampden-Sydney game today but I assume at this point the Tigers are up 10+ with about 15 minutes of real-time action left. Hopefully tomorrow's game redeem an otherwise awful slate of ODAC lacrosse games.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

25-9 win for H-SC. Appears no one was there to stat the game. I tell you what, that never would have happened under my watch!
Big Easy Lax

Post by Big Easy Lax »

thescottharris wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:07 pm 25-9 win for H-SC. Appears no one was there to stat the game. I tell you what, that never would have happened under my watch!
We miss you Scott! :(
oldlaw

Post by oldlaw »

Agree. Hope the job search is bearing fruit, Scott.
richard

Post by richard »

I watched the L-burg E-town game yesterday. It was a good competitive game, closer than the score. L-burg had a big 3rd quarter. Their defense,which is very good, started to get more physical and upset the E-town offense. They missed on a couple of opportunities, one pipe and a doorstep. That and a couple of dubious zebra calls on E-town caused a 3 point swing for L-burg. E-town had a couple of clearing miscues where they wound up in front of the box and once when a defender had a run for glory and stopped for some reason at the midfield line. I would hope that that gets cleared up as the season goes along.
All in all these are two talented and well coached teams. A nice diversion for a Sunday afternoon.
pucksandbones

Post by pucksandbones »

Thought Noke looked pretty decent in the game vs. Dickinson. Had a lot of good opportunities, Dickinson goalie had some nice saves. The Dickinson shooters came out firing though and seemed to have Davies number all day, but they have a few guys who can let it fly. Devils up early in the first quarter, after that things settled down and the game was more back and forth. Sloppy second half for both teams with a lot of unforced turnovers. The defense let Dickinson get their hands free a little too easy, late or no slides and a little bit of ball watching.
Nothinbutthelax

L-burg E-town was a tight game in 1/2 half only. 2nd half was all LYN.
Still looking for LYN to play a complete 60 minutes. After scoring 2 in1st 2 minutes they were down 4-3 after 1st Q. 9 TOS and 0 saves shows how out of sync they were..
E-town goalie is good but LYN also made him look good. Shooting % of 29% is not good enough.
49% FO also needs to improve..Defense is strong. Coach K is still running 4 SSDMs and 4 middies rotate into the 2nd line
Big weekend at the Mustang..
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Interesting to see how Lynchburg does with Stevenson and Wesleyan this weekend. I believe they are capable of winning both contests. Wesleyan’s zone is tough inside but the hornets can extend that zone with good outside shooters. Like to see them at least take one of the two !
Nothinbutthelax

Stevenson is about controling emotions. They are a streaky chippy team. Coach and players can get in your head.. as well as the atmosphere.
Wesleyan may still be improving / replacing graduated players..will they gave the depth and gas left on Saturday night. Their zone will be interesting. Don’t see to much of it. LYN does have a few good outside shooters but thinking inside quick stick goals from #55 Thomas is a must.

I see W&L is back inside top 20. With AJ back deservedly so. Thinking the should handle a struggling Gettysburg but, like LYN need to start hitting on all cylinders for 60 minutes!

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”