Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
nyjay

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by nyjay »

Lighten up, 51. I started whole thing about the Hounds and it was all in good fun. There's no doubt that they have a great program and have owned us over the last couple of years. But (attempt at humor incoming) they are and will always be our little brother, and we have to start beating up on them again to restore the natural order of things.

On a serious note, while Loyola is indeed very good, they're not in the same tier as UVa, UMD and UNC. Depends on location (which I don't think we know at this point), but I don't see how they the Jays are a bigger underdog to Loyola than to either UMD or UNC.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I know its all in fun NY - just don't understand why endowments are brought into it. Sometimes unfortunately the little brother stays younger, faster, stronger.

I guess the reason I think Loyola is almost a bigger challenge than Maryland/UNC is that Lindley - 4 goals in 20 - Olmstead 2 goals - Parias 2 goals - McNulty 1 goal against Hopkins all return - that's 90% of the 10 goals. They also return their goalie who's save percentage was a tad better (53%) then Hopkins' goalies
UNC does lose its entire first midfield and Maryland loses its superstar - very different teams - not saying Hopkins is going to defeat Maryland or UNC at all but of all the teams you might want Milliman to call Petro and say "Can you help a fellow American down on his luck?" (because they look so similar to the 2020 edition) - its Loyola.

Congrats to anyone that got the Bugs Bunny reference
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:15 am Junior is playing on the “Black and Blue Jays” up at Lake Placid this weekend with Haugen, Gags, Nadelen, etc. Nice to see. Not sure if PM is playing this year but I do know he won championship MVP honors a few years back—apparently the guy still handles the stick like he’s a junior in college.
nice. black and blue jays typically struggle somewhat in placid (and they did this year). not sure why other than focus is not commonplace. vibe is more of it.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:18 pm I know its all in fun NY - just don't understand why endowments are brought into it. Sometimes unfortunately the little brother stays younger, faster, stronger.

I guess the reason I think Loyola is almost a bigger challenge than Maryland/UNC is that Lindley - 4 goals in 20 - Olmstead 2 goals - Parias 2 goals - McNulty 1 goal against Hopkins all return - that's 90% of the 10 goals. They also return their goalie who's save percentage was a tad better (53%) then Hopkins' goalies
UNC does lose its entire first midfield and Maryland loses its superstar - very different teams - not saying Hopkins is going to defeat Maryland or UNC at all but of all the teams you might want Milliman to call Petro and say "Can you help a fellow American down on his luck?" (because they look so similar to the 2020 edition) - its Loyola.

Congrats to anyone that got the Bugs Bunny reference
I guess some people just always want to talk about how well-endowed they are?
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Loyola is a very good program and they've pretty much owned us in recent years, but those records were compiled against the previous staff. This is definitely a new era at Homewood. If you were simulating this statistically, you would have to use a "random" effects or "mixed" effects model because the new staff introduces a random element into your simulation. The new model would have a very different baseline.
We will have to see how things play out over the next several years to make meaningful future projections.
Having said that, I think if the game is at Homewood next year, the Jays probably have a fair chance. If they win faceoffs and their offense clicks, who knows? If the game is at Ridley, that's a tough place to play and I would be a lot less optimistic. Not predicting a win against them, just saying I think there's a chance the Jays could win it. Given the level of improvement the team made over the course of last season it will be interesting to see what Hop looks like this Spring after a full offseason and preseason with the new staff.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I think fanlax needs to look into the Sag A situation. There are obviously two people employing that username. I know this because I read the post above and then I remember the diatribe about S-canning Milliman in the middle of the season - we need Sean Nadelen like right now - no punishment is too bad for Baker etc. etc. etc. They can't be the same person.

For the record - this version of Sag A does make a relevant point. The Hopkins staff is different and Epstein shouldn't have even played in '20 and the composition of the Hopkins team has changed more than Loyola's has. I also didn't say Hopkins couldn't win the game - just that it was amongst the hardest of any challenges because of Loyola's experience and their players record of success against Hopkins.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Brody was a fantastic President. I loved the environment he created when I went there although I wasn't a fan of getting rid of the row houses on st paul. I think I looked last spring and Hopkins has had 13 Presidents and Daniels is one of 3 who has not seen a lacrosse championship on his watch.

For yale and harvard it's obviously great for them to play us in the fall and they'll certainly get a lot out of it in terms of seeing how far they have to go after a 1.5 year layoff, but not sure how much we'll learn from the Hopkins end when you're playing folks who haven't been in uniform in awhile.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:56 am For yale and harvard it's obviously great for them to play us in the fall and they'll certainly get a lot out of it in terms of seeing how far they have to go after a 1.5 year layoff, but not sure how much we'll learn from the Hopkins end when you're playing folks who haven't been in uniform in awhile.
There are three other teams playing that weekend.

Also—it doesn't matter. It's fall ball.

Junior is coaching the Canada 6s team with Brodie Merrill. They'll scrimmage PM's Iroquois team in October. Sounds like it starts around when fall ball ends. Good exposure for the staff

https://www.lacrosse.ca/article/68251
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Game at Towson on Friday, Feb. 11: https://towsontigers.com/sports/mens-la ... edule/2022

Friday game is odd. Not sure it counts as "midweek" given it's probably the opening game
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Nothing says lacrosse like night games in early February
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

primitiveskills wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:18 pm Nothing says lacrosse like night games in early February
Do that in Geneva and you’d have a permanent hard on from frostbite..
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

primitiveskills wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:18 pm Nothing says lacrosse like night games in early February
Really nuts. Many major snow storms in the Baltimore region have occurred in February.
Another example of how TV $$$ has shifted the season backwards so as to end on Memorial day !
Years ago the last college game of the season was often on the same day as the Preakness with the game against Mount Washington on the weekend after.
Today's culture has been pixelated.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:22 pm
Really nuts. Many major snow storms in the Baltimore region have occurred in February.
Another example of how TV $$$ has shifted the season backwards so as to end on Memorial day !
Years ago the last college game of the season was often on the same day as the Preakness with the game against Mount Washington on the weekend after.
Today's culture has been pixelated.
I was in DC winter of 2003 if you recall that in February.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:22 pm
I guess the super bowl is feb 13 so lacrosse regular season for us now starts during football season which is probably wild for some of the old guys.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:35 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:22 pm
I guess the super bowl is feb 13 so lacrosse regular season for us now starts during football season which is probably wild for some of the old guys.
Baseball goes from 3rd week in March to Nov now...
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

I remember a few years back we played Navy at night in Feb to open the season at NMCS.
I'm thinking it was 2016?
It was so cold....
I'm still shivering....
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:32 pm I remember a few years back we played Navy at night in Feb to open the season at NMCS.
It was so cold....
I'm still shivering....
At least NMCS doesn't have metal seating. All I can say is you better not have any exposed skin before sitting down at Homewood!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

primitiveskills wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:52 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:32 pm I remember a few years back we played Navy at night in Feb to open the season at NMCS.
It was so cold....
I'm still shivering....
At least NMCS doesn't have metal seating. All I can say is you better not have any exposed skin before sitting down at Homewood!
Do you want the Hopkins girls to be showing exposed skin? I heard that might be detrimental to your boy’s performance.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

It was so cold....
I'm still shivering....
That was the Tinney hidden ball trick game, no?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:25 pm
It was so cold....
I'm still shivering....
That was the Tinney hidden ball trick game, no?
Nah that was at Homewood in 2017

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”