2021 Coaching Carousel

D3 Mens Lacrosse
WhiteCarrera

Re: 2021 Coaching Carousel

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Let's not forget the wise words of our elders:

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step!" (Laozi; according to Wikipedia, some have erroneously ascribed this to Confucius.)

"Great oaks from little acorns grow!" (Geoffrey Chaucer)

"A no-win situation is a possibility every commander may face. Has that never occurred to you?
I don't like to lose. I don't believe in a no-win scenario!" (Admiral James T. Kirk)
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
Homer

Post by Homer »

Switzerland wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:28 am This will be an uphill battle if they intend on playing in '22, and they don't seem to be a part of a conference. Would it be better to take a mulligan and do club status for a year and let the coach recruit and do moderate stuff this fall/spring?
Was curious so I looked into it. WWC appears to be a year into the provisional membership process for D3. Mlax and Wlax were added to meet NCAA sponsorship minimums. So probably no option to downshift without scrambling the whole process:

https://www.warren-wilson.edu/2020/04/1 ... ision-iii/

Still need to find a conference. USA South seems like the only really plausible fit?
laxdad30

Post by laxdad30 »

I agree. He had already applied and got a substantial academic scholarship from BW. then after weeks of my son calling and getting no answer, we finally got a hold of him. He said we should look at other schools. kinda vague. I know its hard to tell kids after over a years worth of constant contact but you as a coach OWE that prospect. Since we had stopped talking to other schools, we had to scramble and see if any that were left had room. And yes his current school is a much better fit and he couldn't be happier.

Also Schools can over recruit especially D3. Some schools like Ohio Northern had like 60 kids on their squad. BW issue was Defensive coach wanted my son, but when he finally went to Keeley, he said he had already picked the Defense he wanted. Stuff happens and there was a lot of miscommunication on their part. Hardest was my son LOVED that school and what it offered, but he said there was no way he would go there and not play lax. Ultimately he found another school that fit better.

KingPrat wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:51 am
River Donkey wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:26 am No such thing as over recruiting in D3, the more on the roster the better. If they “ghosted” your son it must have been for another reason.
This is just incorrect.

I interviewed at a couple schools that put a roster limit on their program for budgetary reasons, and they were adamant that recruiting classes were capped at a certain number. It does exist at the D3 level.

The reality of the situation is that the coach should've followed up and explained the situation. It's a VERY difficult conversation sometimes, and some people just don't know how to handle it.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

laxdad30 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:30 pm I agree. He had already applied and got a substantial academic scholarship from BW. then after weeks of my son calling and getting no answer, we finally got a hold of him. He said we should look at other schools. kinda vague. I know its hard to tell kids after over a years worth of constant contact but you as a coach OWE that prospect. Since we had stopped talking to other schools, we had to scramble and see if any that were left had room. And yes his current school is a much better fit and he couldn't be happier.

Also Schools can over recruit especially D3. Some schools like Ohio Northern had like 60 kids on their squad. BW issue was Defensive coach wanted my son, but when he finally went to Keeley, he said he had already picked the Defense he wanted. Stuff happens and there was a lot of miscommunication on their part. Hardest was my son LOVED that school and what it offered, but he said there was no way he would go there and not play lax. Ultimately he found another school that fit better.
Indeed. Everything happens for a reason, and there is usually a valuable lesson hidden in there somewhere. Glad it worked out for your son, finding a good fit both athletically and academically.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
TopShelf

Post by TopShelf »

laxdad30 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:25 pm Good for him I guess. My son was recruited by Tatro to play there, but after a year of contact and promises the last minute he ghosted us. Apparently Keeley over recruited and didn't need another D-pole. Not a great experience. He found a better suited program anyways. Loved the school, but ghosting us was pretty crappy.

InsiderRoll wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:27 pm
laxdad30 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:17 pm What happened a Baldwin Wallace?

Baldwin Wallace University - (Vacated by Trey Keeley)

any more info on this?
He took the assistant coach position at Cleveland state.
My son had a very similar experience with BW. Head coach saw his film and reached out to him, promised all sorts of merit aid given his test scores, and they talked about BW's strong program in his area of academic interest. We were in the process of setting up a visit (400+ miles away), and all communication stopped. No great loss, didn't have a good feeling about the guy from the outset.
laxdad30

Post by laxdad30 »

Never met the Head Coach. We traveled 2200 miles to visit. (we were on the east coast for a summer Tourney anyways). 2 days before the visit my son was a the Cleveland State camp. Tatro came up to him and was really talking to him and was super excited. Really liked it, but as I said we found a better suited place.
TopShelf wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:08 am
laxdad30 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:25 pm Good for him I guess. My son was recruited by Tatro to play there, but after a year of contact and promises the last minute he ghosted us. Apparently Keeley over recruited and didn't need another D-pole. Not a great experience. He found a better suited program anyways. Loved the school, but ghosting us was pretty crappy.

InsiderRoll wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:27 pm
laxdad30 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:17 pm What happened a Baldwin Wallace?

Baldwin Wallace University - (Vacated by Trey Keeley)

any more info on this?
He took the assistant coach position at Cleveland state.
My son had a very similar experience with BW. Head coach saw his film and reached out to him, promised all sorts of merit aid given his test scores, and they talked about BW's strong program in his area of academic interest. We were in the process of setting up a visit (400+ miles away), and all communication stopped. No great loss, didn't have a good feeling about the guy from the outset.
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

Alvernia University - (Vacated by Carl Haas, 4yrs)
Amherst College - (Vacated by Rashad Devoe, 1yr)
Baldwin Wallace University - (Vacated by Trey Keeley, 4yrs)
Keystone College - (Vacated by Justin Ross, 3yrs)
Lasell University - (Vacated by Bill Mason, 6yrs)
La Roche University - (Vacated by Cody Golon, 1yr)
McDaniel College - (Vacated by Keith Euker, 6yrs)
Monmouth College (IL) - (Vacated by Chris Klaiber, 4yrs)
Salem State - (Vacated by Eric Small, 4yrs)
SUNY-Plattsburgh - (Vacated by Andrew Hauk, 1yr - Being Retained ???)
Trine University - (Vacated by Karl Zimmerman, 7 yrs)
Warren Wilson College - (Vacated by Daniel Gold, 2 yrs)

So this is what we have left? (unless I missed something )

Alvernia and Amherst of been open for a while, anyone know what's up with Alvernia?

Seems like a good school, nice facilities, nice location.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Alvernia conducting on campus interviews this week, hope they will announce soon.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

And Plattsburgh is keeping Hauk, posting was a formality.
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

https://unweagles.com/news/2021/6/17/me ... coach.aspx

Interesting story that seems to have gone unnoticed. University of Northwestern, NCAA tournament team/MLC champions had a coaching change in June. It looks like previous head coach Jay Mayes will be returning to St. Paul's to take over the Eagles.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

LacrosseFan33 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:28 am Alvernia University - (Vacated by Carl Haas, 4yrs)

Alvernia and Amherst of been open for a while, anyone know what's up with Alvernia?

Amherst had on-campus interviews this week. The names I heard were St, Laurent, Holm, and Sax. That was a week ago.
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:20 am
LacrosseFan33 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:28 am Alvernia University - (Vacated by Carl Haas, 4yrs)

Amherst had on-campus interviews this week. The names I heard were St, Laurent, Holm, and Sax. That was a week ago.
I’ll probably eat my words on this but if this list is true, I predict Sr. Laurent gets it and ends up staying at ONU….
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:29 am

I’ll probably eat my words on this but if this list is true, I predict Sr. Laurent gets it and ends up staying at ONU….
Completely agree. Nat has it pretty good at ONU, with a program he’s built from the ground up.

Nat’s name comes attached to every good job that comes open, but is yet to make a move. He’s a good coach, a great guy and I imagine he interviews REALLY REALLY well. There’s no doubt that he’s been offered a few of them….I just think he loves where he’s at.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

And it's very possible that Amherst went after him instead of the other way around. I imagine it would be a shock to his recruiting mindset -- 15 top recruits is a lot different that 40 heartbeats.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

VTLaxGuy wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:26 am

Completely agree. Nat has it pretty good at ONU, with a program he’s built from the ground up.

Nat’s name comes attached to every good job that comes open, but is yet to make a move. He’s a good coach, a great guy and I imagine he interviews REALLY REALLY well. There’s no doubt that he’s been offered a few of them….I just think he loves where he’s at.
I heard he was offered Denison and demanded a ridiculous 10 year contract. He’s in demand but if that’s true he seems a little out of touch about his value.
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

boredatwork wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:34 pm https://unweagles.com/news/2021/6/17/me ... coach.aspx

Interesting story that seems to have gone unnoticed. University of Northwestern, NCAA tournament team/MLC champions had a coaching change in June. It looks like previous head coach Jay Mayes will be returning to St. Paul's to take over the Eagles.
Mayes is ALL over the place...Hope he sticks with a program because he's a good coach.
KingPrat

Post by KingPrat »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:39 am I heard he was offered Denison and demanded a ridiculous 10 year contract. He’s in demand but if that’s true he seems a little out of touch about his value.
The way I read this is that he's REALLY happy at ONU and it would take a monster situation like that to get him to leave. Good for him to feel he's in that type of situation.

I believe he was in the mix at Amherst last year as well, and I'm assuming their offer at the time didn't move the needle. I'd be curious what their mindset is this time around.

Also, Sax is an interesting name - Catholic blew through the Landmark this year, closest win they had was 5 goals over Scranton. Had a respectable game against Lynchburg, lost that one in the 1st Q. He's young, certainly, but a year at D1 and a year as a HC. Holm has certainly paid his dues as well.
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

Add in North Central University (D3) in Minnesota - Job is going full time, not posted yet, hopefully next week
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:39 am
VTLaxGuy wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:26 am

I heard he was offered Denison and demanded a ridiculous 10 year contract. He’s in demand but if that’s true he seems a little out of touch about his value.
Don't believe everything you hear. I have never heard of a D3 doing multi year contracts. And if so, do you honestly believe he asked for a ten year deal? Really?
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

[/quote]

Don't believe everything you hear. I have never heard of a D3 doing multi year contracts. And if so, do you honestly believe he asked for a ten year deal? Really?
[/quote]

10 years seems extreme and unlikely, but yes. I have heard of D3s making multi-year contacts.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”