Utah

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Henpecked

Re: Utah

Post by Henpecked »

The Press release was a little insane in my opinion.

He said that he "had a five year commitment in mind" when he signed up five years ago. Oh really? So why didn't he have some sort of succession plan in place if that was the case?

The other part that is crazytown is that he said "I feel like we have accomplished all of our goals." All of them? Really? Was it their goal to never have a winning record and have a turnstile locker room with players coming and going? Was it their goal to leave two weeks before the freshman class came in?

Like I said earlier, I like Holman and his crew. They seem like really nice guys. However, there has to be something behind the scenes that happened for him to leave at this point. I have heard lots of rumors about the staff but I would never repeat them in this forum.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Henpecked wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:36 am The Press release was a little insane in my opinion.

He said that he "had a five year commitment in mind" when he signed up five years ago. Oh really? So why didn't he have some sort of succession plan in place if that was the case?

The other part that is crazytown is that he said "I feel like we have accomplished all of our goals." All of them? Really? Was it their goal to never have a winning record and have a turnstile locker room with players coming and going? Was it their goal to leave two weeks before the freshman class came in?

Like I said earlier, I like Holman and his crew. They seem like really nice guys. However, there has to be something behind the scenes that happened for him to leave at this point. I have heard lots of rumors about the staff but I would never repeat them in this forum.
hmmm, right above you say Brian shouldn't be replaced by Marcus, because of "massive turnover'..."team culture"; and now say you've heard "rumors about the staff"...that's an awful lot of shade to be throwing at the "staff" that you would "never repeat on this forum". Sure as heck sounds like you're directing this shade specifically at Marcus.

If there really is some specific insight, might as well come out and say it.

I don't know Marcus, though I do know Adam a bit and my son played for him, very much appreciated him. And was a 9th grader behind Marcus as a senior at Gilman. Always had a good impression. So, I may be a bit oversensitive.

However, I want to be consistent with my general view that we should not quash actual information on these boards, unpleasant as it may be, especially if it involves the safety and leadership of youngsters in their charge. I've been critical of other coaches in this regard and on LP that was quashed...I'd like to think we can be more straightforward on FL.

Of course, if we don't actually know something specific, we shouldn't just seed rumors that are unfounded.

My opinion.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:41 am
TNLAX wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:27 am They have very impressive asst. coaches there at Utah. Wouldn’t be surprised to see his son Marcus land the head job.
BCS jobs should not be going to a guy with no head coaching experience, and no collegiate coaching experience outside of working for your dad as an assistant.

Their press release makes it sound like they will look far and wide for the replacement. I would be shocked if this job went to Marcus Holman. Marcus may be a great coach, and person. But most of the time, head jobs at this level go to guys with much longer and diverse resumes.

Brad Ross at Navy could be a good fit out there. Young, experience at OSU recruiting to a non hot bed BCS school. Trying to think of some others. Five years ago I would have said Brown at Denver; but think he must be close to taking over for the Big Man.

Any others?
I agree, to many people in lacrosse associate being a good player with being a good coach. Coaching college lacrosse is a lot more then X’s and O’s. Head coach is more of a general manager of the program then a coach.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:53 am
Henpecked wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:36 am The Press release was a little insane in my opinion.

hmmm, right above you say Brian shouldn't be replaced by Marcus, because of "massive turnover'..."team culture"; and now say you've heard "rumors about the staff"...that's an awful lot of shade to be throwing at the "staff" that you would "never repeat on this forum". Sure as heck sounds like you're directing this shade specifically at Marcus.

I don't know Marcus, though I do know Adam a bit and my son played for him, very much appreciated him. And was a 9th grader behind Marcus as a senior at Gilman. Always had a good impression. So, I may be a bit oversensitive.

However, I want to be consistent with my general view that we should not quash actual information on these boards, unpleasant as it may be, especially if it involves the safety and leadership of youngsters in their charge. I've been critical of other coaches in this regard and on LP that was quashed...I'd like to think we can be more straightforward on FL.

Of course, if we don't actually know something specific, we shouldn't just seed rumors that are unfounded.

My opinion.
I was not throwing shade at anyone. I was not singling out Marcus either. I was sharing relevant and true facts about the turnover. Tons of kids have come and gone after just a single year playing at Utah.

I don't want to get into the rumors (that have been shared on the Utah thread for the past two years - you can read them yourself) because I have no first-hand knowledge about them.

The press release was a joke. It came across as if he wanted to re-write history. They were not successful. They did not accomplish all of their goals. And they did not do any sort of succession planning.

Leaving this late in the summer puts this program in a really bad spot.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

River Donkey wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:56 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:41 am
TNLAX wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:27 am They have very impressive asst. coaches there at Utah. Wouldn’t be surprised to see his son Marcus land the head job.
BCS jobs should not be going to a guy with no head coaching experience, and no collegiate coaching experience outside of working for your dad as an assistant.

Their press release makes it sound like they will look far and wide for the replacement. I would be shocked if this job went to Marcus Holman. Marcus may be a great coach, and person. But most of the time, head jobs at this level go to guys with much longer and diverse resumes.

Brad Ross at Navy could be a good fit out there. Young, experience at OSU recruiting to a non hot bed BCS school. Trying to think of some others. Five years ago I would have said Brown at Denver; but think he must be close to taking over for the Big Man.

Any others?
I agree, to many people in lacrosse associate being a good player with being a good coach. Coaching college lacrosse is a lot more then X’s and O’s. Head coach is more of a general manager of the program then a coach.
Certainly agree.
Smarts, leadership qualities, high EQ all WAY more important than credibility from when played...as well as a passion for the tactics and subtleties of the game.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Henpecked wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:33 pm

My opinion.
I was not throwing shade at anyone. I was not singling out Marcus either. I was sharing relevant and true facts about the turnover. Tons of kids have come and gone after just a single year playing at Utah.

I don't want to get into the rumors (that have been shared on the Utah thread for the past two years - you can read them yourself) because I have no first-hand knowledge about them.

The press release was a joke. It came across as if he wanted to re-write history. They were not successful. They did not accomplish all of their goals. And they did not do any sort of succession planning.

I'll take a look for the rumors on the past thread.
If someone actually knows something, happy to get a PM.

I do agree that the timing is troubling and the release raises questions. Maybe not as much as the cluster that was the release of your program's coach when he was fired from his first HC position, but certainly raises questions.

However, turnover of kids to and from Utah is zero surprise to me.
Especially in the start-up phase.
IMO, it's going to continue to be very, very tough to get that program over the hump to a self-sustaining, destination for top talent. Possible, but really challenging.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:32 pm

My opinion.

I do agree that the timing is troubling and the release raises questions. Maybe not as much as the cluster that was the release of your program's coach when he was fired from his first HC position, but certainly raises questions.

IMO, it's going to continue to be very, very tough to get that program over the hump to a self-sustaining, destination for top talent. Possible, but really challenging.
Speaking of shade, I know how much you love DeLuca.

Can't go a week without throwing some shade his way. I think it's time you move on from that narrative. We get it. You hate the guy.
Surfs_Up

Post by Surfs_Up »

Utah would seem to be an easy place to recruit. You have so many kids that want to go to a Big School, Big Football program, beautiful city not in the NorthEast. Very few schools can offer that in D1.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Henpecked wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:49 pm

My opinion.

Can't go a week without throwing some shade his way. I think it's time you move on from that narrative. We get it. You hate the guy.
A week? A month? 6months.
When was the last time I said boo about him?
EDIT: found a post back in February correcting the record misstated by another poster re Deluca. My factual post ended very positively re him and the program. Since then, just two other total posts re Delaware, one about the upcoming schedule and hoping they would get some games in this spring and the last just a few weeks ago complimenting you for your excellent post-season write-up.

Seriously, I DO think that open discussion of those who have been granted responsibility and authority over youngsters, at any level of our sport, and have abrogated that responsibility in some way, is quite appropriate for discussion.

I can be highly specific and was, but that's long past and I'm hoping that he is, today, a better coach and more importantly a better person today for your program. It's a terrific opportunity for him and his family and likewise playing ball at Delaware is for the youngsters in his charge. Good luck to all.

On a personal level, I'll remain "from Missouri" on him. But that's just me.
bar_down

Post by bar_down »

Holman’s behavior on the sideline during the RMU game was borderline bizarre and Ghitleman’s behavior was far worse. I think the pressure to win effected Holman. I had the pleasure of spending an afternoon with him seven years ago. He was really delightful to talk to, then at the RMU game I saw a maniac on the sidelines who spent the entire game cursing at the officials, his players and the RMU players and staff. It was sad to see.

Other than Manny none of the other assistants are head coaching material but Utah can and should do better than promoting one of them.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Henpecked wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:49 pm

My opinion.

I’ve heard a bunch more recently from his time at Cornell so I can understand the discussion on DeLuca. Also wonder about the Utah staff for a variety of reasons but have more concrete info on DeLuca than Holman. One wonders if they thought it was their program vs the universities however based on all I’ve seen.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

I’d be shocked if any of those assistants landed that job. They come off as awfully immature at times. There are a number of stories about them and their concern with their “influencer” status effecting their work. Will Manny’s name has been tossed around a little bit here, he’s never even coached a team with a winning record before. If Utah wants to get $erious with this search, they can. But I think to convince a big name to come and lead an A-Sun program they will need to put a $250k+ salary up. Otherwise they will looking for young up and comers.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Watch them hire Matt Kerwick...
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

They need to move quickly since a number of schools are reporting back to campus in the coming weeks for fall ball. I’m sure some names should surface soon…

I wouldn’t sleep on Matt Brown. I wonder if he’s gotten tired of being the coach in waiting year after year, and from everything I’ve read - Coach T isn’t slowing down.
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

Its bad timing for Uath program, but being a head coach isn't just going to practice and games, that is actually just a small part of the job, its just the part we all see. There is a lot that goes on in the background that would wear any coach down.

Recruiting is tough and its a big competition. 4 months a year you are traveling to tournaments, pretty much all the time you are talking to recruits and their parents, finally you have to sell the school and campus. The bst programs either have prestige ( ie the cadailac of programs) or some of the best damn salesmen. I imagine Uath was a really tough sale Salt Lake not known at a hppening place.

Dealing with the admiinistration. There can be high expetation for success not based on reality. There can be fiction have members who aren't pro sport who make it tough. Finally there are new attitude on campuses that conflicts with the concept of competition, getting the best players, working hard to improve and winning don't seem to be part of it.

The players are much different from the past. I have heard so many stories that my last thought is always that never would have happened when I played. Coaches today need to have an much different skill set.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Galloway? Now that the Cuse job is not forthcoming could he look to make the move?
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

AreaLax wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:27 am Galloway? Now that the Cuse job is not forthcoming could he look to make the move?
I think with the way the press release sounds, they are heading towards much bigger head coaching fish than Galloway
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Everyone forget about Lars?
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:42 pm Everyone forget about Lars?
:lol:

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”