Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
nyjay

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by nyjay »

With this schedule, things could spin wildly out of control, but I don't think they are going to. Feel like the ship has been righted and is back on course. I'm cautiously optimistic and generally agree with Sag.

Don't really disagree with 16 either, but are we really a "big" underdog to Loyola "until further notice"? I mean, that's a very solid and well-run program, with consistently good D's and Toomey's a great coach, but I don't think they are a legit final four contender like the others named in that tier (certainly, UMd, UVa and UNC are, and G'Town is on the rise and probably on the cusp of that tier). Loyola's more a top 9-12 kind of team to me.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:48 am With this schedule, things could spin wildly out of control, but I don't think they are going to. Feel like the ship has been righted and is back on course. I'm cautiously optimistic and generally agree with Sag.

Don't really disagree with 16 either, but are we really a "big" underdog to Loyola "until further notice"? I mean, that's a very solid and well-run program, with consistently good D's and Toomey's a great coach, but I don't think they are a legit final four contender like the others named in that tier (certainly, UMd, UVa and UNC are, and G'Town is on the rise and probably on the cusp of that tier). Loyola's more a top 9-12 kind of team to me.
Loyola is a quarterfinalist that’s returning most of its contributors and we haven’t beaten them since 2017, which required Tinney’s OT heroics. 1-4 against the Hounds in the last five. Maybe “big” underdog was a slight exaggeration, but definite indisputable underdogs as things stand currently. Perhaps the perception to that changes by the time the teams actually meet. I prefer our chances against Georgetown to be honest. Another quarterfinalist but they lose Carraway and don’t have any recent history of dominating us.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:50 am
nyjay wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:48 am With this schedule, things could spin wildly out of control, but I don't think they are going to. Feel like the ship has been righted and is back on course. I'm cautiously optimistic and generally agree with Sag.

Loyola is a quarterfinalist that’s returning most of its contributors and we haven’t beaten them since 2017, which required Tinney’s OT heroics. 1-4 against the Hounds in the last five. Maybe “big” underdog was a slight exaggeration, but definite indisputable underdogs as things stand currently. Perhaps the perception to that changes by the time the teams actually meet. I prefer our chances against Georgetown to be honest. Another quarterfinalist but they lose Carraway and don’t have any recent history of dominating us.
I thought their run this year was a bit on the flukey side, but maybe that's just me. They've definitely had our number the last couple years, can't argue about that. Maybe I'm just reacting to the fact that I'm really not sure I want to live in a world where the Jays aren't even in the same tier as Loyola.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

nyjay wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:05 pm

I thought their run this year was a bit on the flukey side, but maybe that's just me. They've definitely had our number the last couple years, can't argue about that. Maybe I'm just reacting to the fact that I'm really not sure I want to live in a world where the Jays aren't even in the same tier as Loyola.
:D
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Speaking of Tinney, has anyone seen him recently in the PLL? Was there early but haven’t seen him play or on a roster since week 2
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Then you may want to giddyup with it...

:lol: ;)
a fan

Post by a fan »

If I'm a Hop Fan, I'm excited by this schedule.

This is the OLD Hopkins tough-as-nails schedule. Milliman is sending a message, if you ask me. (and I know you're not)

More bites at the apple, more chances at QW's, and we all know the NCAA likes SOS, as stupid as that is. They'll make the tourney every year with this schedule, coupled with an average performance.

And they'll arrive at the Tourney, ready to compete. Good on Milliman for this.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:18 pm

Luckily, I don't think we're quite there yet. Seppuku can wait until at least following next year's game.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

a fan wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:32 pm
If I'm a Hop Fan, I'm excited by this schedule.

This is the OLD Hopkins tough-as-nails schedule. Milliman is sending a message, if you ask me. (and I know you're not)

More bites at the apple, more chances at QW's, and we all know the NCAA likes SOS, as stupid as that is. They'll make the tourney every year with this schedule, coupled with an average performance.

And they'll arrive at the Tourney, ready to compete. Good on Milliman for this.
100% agree. And as I mentioned in an earlier post, I think it's a great recruiting tool as well and have to believe that the timing of the announcement was purposely in advance of September 1.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

nyjay wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:30 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:18 pm

Luckily, I don't think we're quite there yet. Seppuku can wait until at least following next year's game.
In all fairness, I think you guys will be ok. Give PM a chance to get his feet under him and a few recruiting classes in the books. The Jays showed some toughness last year. And it appeared to come from the top down. That's a good sign.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Agreed, Kram. I just hope that means we can go back to beating up our little brother up the street on the regular again. Would be another sign that the world is healing.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Johns Hopkins Endowment $8.8 billion
Loyola Maryland Endowment $232 million
Towson endowment $87 million
Yes little brother and yes I know Princetons endowment dwarfs ours too.

As for the midweek games the smart move would be to have georgetown/loyola/towson the following weekend if they're not the midweek game so that way regardless of whether they're home or road there's less potential travel.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

flalax22 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:32 pm

Speaking of Tinney, has anyone seen him recently in the PLL? Was there early but haven’t seen him play or on a roster since week 2
I saw him play in the MD summer league a couple weeks ago but obviously not the same thing. :D
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Hopkins should make the tourney if they go .500 agaisnt that schedule. SOS should matter
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:01 pm Johns Hopkins Endowment $8.8 billion
Loyola Maryland Endowment $232 million
Towson endowment $87 million
Yes little brother and yes I know Princetons endowment dwarfs ours too.

As for the midweek games the smart move would be to have georgetown/loyola/towson the following weekend if they're not the midweek game so that way regardless of whether they're home or road there's less potential travel.

Institution State 2019 endowment
(billions USD)[11]
Harvard University Massachusetts $40.58
Yale University Connecticut $31.20
Stanford University California $28.90
Princeton University New Jersey $26.56
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Massachusetts $18.50
University of Pennsylvania Pennsylvania $14.88
University of Notre Dame Indiana $11.96
Columbia University New York $11.26
Northwestern University Illinois $10.93
Duke University North Carolina $8.47
Washington University in St. Louis Missouri $8.42
University of Chicago Illinois $8.20
Emory University Georgia $7.94
Cornell University New York $7.22
Vanderbilt University Tennessee $6.92
Johns Hopkins University Maryland $6.75

24/7 Wall St. reviewed federally funded research and development grants and Pell Grant disbursements for recipients of financial aid in 1,871 major universities. Johns Hopkins University received nearly $2 billion from the U.S. government in 2015, more than double second-place University of Washington. Yale University rounds out the top 20, receiving approximately $480 million in federal funds in 2015.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

The $8.8 billion endowment figure comes straight from Johns Hopkins.

Ron Daniels, who will likely be remembered as one of the greatest of all Johns Hopkins University presidents, just had his contract unanimously renewed through 2029. Plus, for what it’s worth, Coach Milliman is for all practical purposes, “President Daniels’ lacrosse coach.” Milliman’s success will be Daniels’ success.

Go Blue Jays!

Daniels' focus on enhancing student access—aided by a historic $1.8 billion gift from philanthropist, businessman, and three-term New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg in support of undergraduate financial aid—has helped make Johns Hopkins one of the nation's leading institutions in terms of undergraduate student diversity and academic excellence. Similarly, the recently announced Vivien Thomas Scholars Initiative promises to bolster inclusivity and achievement among the university's STEM PhD programs.

The university has also made unprecedented investments in its faculty over the past decade, including the Bloomberg Distinguished Professors program, which has resulted in the recruitment or promotion of 50 leading interdisciplinary scholars, and the Catalyst and Discovery Awards, which have supported the research of nearly 800 faculty members since their inception in 2015.

During Daniels' presidency, the university has created 320 new endowed professorships, an 89% increase, and its overall endowment has grown from just under $2 billion to $8.8 billion.

https://hub.jhu.edu/2021/06/28/ron-dani ... year-term/

Yep … President Daniels … one of the best Hopkins presidents of all time.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:15 pm
During Daniels' presidency, the university has created 320 new endowed professorships, an 89% increase, and its overall endowment has grown from just under $2 billion to $8.8 billion. [/i]

https://hub.jhu.edu/2021/06/28/ron-dani ... year-term/

Yep … President Daniels … one of the best Hopkins presidents of all time.

DocBarrister 8-)
I would say Mike Bloomberg is one of the best Presidents (de facto) of all time, not so sure about RD.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:15 pm Plus, for what it’s worth, Coach Milliman is for all practical purposes, “President Daniels’ lacrosse coach.” Milliman’s success will be Daniels’ success.
How about - it's not worth anything??? Look, I have no idea about the inner workings of the Johns Hopkins University and all that encompasses (and whether he's a great president or a horrible one) but I find it very easy to believe that his overwhelming "state of being" with respect to the lacrosse program is apathy. As long as those boys with sticks don't create any bad publicity - his main thought is likely "whatever" - he might be able to pick Milliman out of a line-up but barely. If they have met twice I would be pretty surprised. Daniels would be happy to have his picture taken with a trophy or if he's in town show up at halftime of a game to celebrate something or another for 15 minutes but if Milliman enjoys success the one who will be tatooing it on her forehead is Baker.

I don't think he spends much time worrying about lacrosse
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/realest ... O#image=19
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Junior is playing on the “Black and Blue Jays” up at Lake Placid this weekend with Haugen, Gags, Nadelen, etc. Nice to see. Not sure if PM is playing this year but I do know he won championship MVP honors a few years back—apparently the guy still handles the stick like he’s a junior in college.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

With regards to the schedule - no one should be predicting wins and losses at this point and trying to whip out our endowment as something to behold against Loyola is just plain silly. To paraphrase Pedro Martinez - "Just call the Greyhounds my daddy". 6-1 against the Jays since 2013 - at least 3 of them out and out routs. In 4 of those 7 games Hopkins never got to 9 goals. In 2014 they got to 10 with two late goals down 13-8. In 2019 the score was 15-6 with 20 minutes left in the game - I think it's safe to say that if Loyola wanted - it could have been under 10. The only game where Hopkins was legitimately over 10 in a competitive game was 2017 - the lone W over the past 7 times they played - and that went to OT (Loyola had the ball last in regulation and Spencer found a wide open player in OT for a step down and he went stick side high and Logan saved it - anywhere else and we could easily be talking 0-7). You think Hopkins SHOULD win this game? Hounds have everybody back - beat Denver in Denver and held Duke to 10 goals - cut back on your edibles. If I were a Vegas oddsmaker - aside from UVA - this is the biggest preseason Hopkins underdog.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”