Northwestern Wildcats

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LarryGamLax

Re: Northwestern Wildcats

Post by LarryGamLax »

ONW wrote..."I have one specific question – do you assign any culpability to the head coach of Northwestern for the teams eight yellow cards in last year‘s semi finals? That’s all. I’m not trying to make a statement that BC is better or that Northwestern has no recruits coming in. Very simply – did the Northwestern coaching staff fail to address their teams physicality in last years semi final loss vs Syracuse."

Simple Answer...the coaches will accept the blame for the team's performance. I watched the game. NU played poorly, got outworked and outhustled and showed their frustration. They got eight YC and they lost. Here you are months later trying to asses blame about a game that has already been decided.
The NU coaches took the blame for the loss and acknowledged that Syracuse played better. I'm not going to put up a video clip to confirm that because it's useless. Syracuse won the game and then lost in the final to Boston College. That's all Folks!
Last edited by LarryGamLax on Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:24 am ONW wrote..."I have one specific question – do you assign any culpability to the head coach of Northwestern for the teams eight yellow cards in last year‘s semi finals? That’s all. I’m not trying to make a statement that BC is better or that Northwestern has no recruits coming in. Very simply – did the Northwestern coaching staff fail to address their teams physicality in last years semi final loss vs Syracuse."

Simple Answer...the coaches will accept the blame for the team's performance. I watched the game. NU played poorly, got outworked and outhustled and showed their frustration. They got eight YC and they lost. Here you are months later trying to access blame about a game that has already been decided.
The NU coaches took the blame for the loss and acknowledged that Syracuse played better. I'm not going to put up a video clip to confirm that because it's useless. Syracuse won the game and then lost in the final to Boston College. That's all Folks!

I’m not actually trying to assess blame but to learn something about this great sport and specifically about one of my favorite teams. I probably worded my original post in a misleading way. In a previous post, seacoaster spelled it out for me and my perspective has been adjusted accordingly. I’m a relative newbie to the sport. I’m learning to ask questions rather than make statements. Thanks for your thoughts on this as well. I learned from you too.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:04 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:36 am
seacoaster wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:45 am NU has a 2022 roster up (no freshmen), which shows not only Gilbert, but Pinzone, Girardi, Palermo and Dwyer back as graduate students. With Dwyer, they will get possession of the ball, and with Gilbert and Scane and Holmes and Coykendall, they will score goals. But I don't know much about defense, and the loss of the Copelands complicates that, right?

At this point, I would expect NU will be the same as 2021: scoring 46 goals a game to win, while letting their opponents score 12 or 15. They'll be good, but I'm not sure they will be improved enough to punch through those last two games in May.
If memory serves, you coached at one point, right? What’s your assessment on the number of (purple) yellow cards from last year‘s semifinal game? What degree of accountability do you assign to the head coach?
Coaching high school lacrosse is a long, long, long way from the rarified air you are talking about here: a national semifinal between two very athletic, tough and well-coached teams. But it is just a fact that coaches stand on the sidelines; they can and should make adjustments in defenses, offensive sets, re-defend strategies, and the like. But they don't, in the end, influence the actual play on the field at the granular level you are asking about. I hope this makes sense. Cards happen when kids make a mistake (stick check just too close, stick sliding from shoulder up to neck, etc) or when they are not under control or are frustrated. Coaches can only counsel the players to take care. I am certain -- repeat, certain -- KAH and Scott asked their kids to be aggressive, but avoid the cards. I thought then and still think that the reality in that game was that Syracuse was a better team across nearly the entire field, and that the cards hurt NU, but that the cards were a result of the superiority of Syracuse between the 30s, at defense, and in goal.

Slight disagreement Seacoaster...I thought Syracuse played better overall, but the real difference was in Goal. Goldstock played better for Syracuse, but only made 2 more saves than Doucette, who was terrible. Syracuse had four runs of 3 or more goals that led to big shifts in momentum. To me the game was won in the first half as NU was always playing catch-up. That led to them being overly aggressive and thus, the Yellow Cards.
If you look at the Final Stats, this game was not what you saw on the Final score. Even I was surprised in the final stats with CTs, TOs, FPs. Still didn't change the Final outcome, Syracuse Won!
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:27 am BC has won ONE NC and now you're putting up clips of AWW telling her team something and questioning if KAH and her staff are smart and on top of things like you think the BC staff is. And you have video to prove it!
Just as a footnote: I used the clip of Acacia Walker-Weinstein because it’s the only one I’ve seen where a coach is clearly mouthing words about being careful to avoid cards. If I was watching a game and saw an outstanding sideline shot of Jill Batcheller or Amanda O’Leary mouthing similar words—I would use that clip. When I saw the excellent camerawork by the Syracuse production crew during the 14-13 Boston College win during this past regular season, I thought it would make a great visual aid. As TL would say – that is all.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:58 am
seacoaster wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:04 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:36 am
seacoaster wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:45 am NU has a 2022 roster up (no freshmen), which shows not only Gilbert, but Pinzone, Girardi, Palermo and Dwyer back as graduate students. With Dwyer, they will get possession of the ball, and with Gilbert and Scane and Holmes and Coykendall, they will score goals. But I don't know much about defense, and the loss of the Copelands complicates that, right?

At this point, I would expect NU will be the same as 2021: scoring 46 goals a game to win, while letting their opponents score 12 or 15. They'll be good, but I'm not sure they will be improved enough to punch through those last two games in May.
If memory serves, you coached at one point, right? What’s your assessment on the number of (purple) yellow cards from last year‘s semifinal game? What degree of accountability do you assign to the head coach?
Coaching high school lacrosse is a long, long, long way from the rarified air you are talking about here: a national semifinal between two very athletic, tough and well-coached teams. But it is just a fact that coaches stand on the sidelines; they can and should make adjustments in defenses, offensive sets, re-defend strategies, and the like. But they don't, in the end, influence the actual play on the field at the granular level you are asking about. I hope this makes sense. Cards happen when kids make a mistake (stick check just too close, stick sliding from shoulder up to neck, etc) or when they are not under control or are frustrated. Coaches can only counsel the players to take care. I am certain -- repeat, certain -- KAH and Scott asked their kids to be aggressive, but avoid the cards. I thought then and still think that the reality in that game was that Syracuse was a better team across nearly the entire field, and that the cards hurt NU, but that the cards were a result of the superiority of Syracuse between the 30s, at defense, and in goal.

Slight disagreement Seacoaster...I thought Syracuse played better overall, but the real difference was in Goal. Goldstock played better for Syracuse, but only made 2 more saves than Doucette, who was terrible. Syracuse had four runs of 3 or more goals that led to big shifts in momentum. To me the game was won in the first half as NU was always playing catch-up. That led to them being overly aggressive and thus, the Yellow Cards.
If you look at the Final Stats, this game was not what you saw on the Final score. Even I was surprised in the final stats with CTs, TOs, FPs. Still didn't change the Final outcome, Syracuse Won!
I don't disagree with anything you say here, Larry. I just think that Syracuse was the better team more generally. The cards were, as you say, the result of having to constantly play catch up.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

What are the odds of the same four teams making the final four again. In my opinion very high at maybe 70 percent. Just seems like a big jump for the next group of teams - Fla, SB, Duke, ND, Princeton, Stanford etc.
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:27 am ONW...you are freakin amazing! You have some big ones on you!(sarcasm dripping)
BC has won ONE NC and now you're putting up clips of AWW telling her team something and questioning if KAH and her staff are smart and on top of things like you think the BC staff is. And you have video to prove it! Prove what?
In the last 10 years here's what the NC breakdown looks like...Maryland 4, Northwestern 2 , UNC 2, JMU 1 and BC 1. My math says 4 beats 1.
I get that you support BC and you're excited about winning. Great, but being over-the-top and, frankly, obnoxious about it is no way to win friends and influence people. Telling us about how great the BC recruits are going to be, compared to other recruits, really is a wait and see kind of thing.
AWW has a ways to go before she can get in the neighborhood that Timchal, Amonte Hiller, and Reese are living in.

My point is really simple: Temper your excitement with practicality. Think JMU as a great example.
Footnote number 2 – Not that my OP was even remotely claiming what you allege, but us BC fans are allowed to revel a little. Four straight trips to the national championship game and finally hoisting the trophy at the end is revel worthy. We shouldn’t have to keep quiet with our heads down while we chant in a subdued murmur, “We have only won one national championship compared to Maryland and Northwestern – we are not worthy, we are not worthy.” Don’t be such a killjoy.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:00 pm What are the odds of the same four teams making the final four again. In my opinion very high at maybe 70 percent. Just seems like a big jump for the next group of teams - Fla, SB, Duke, ND, Princeton, Stanford etc.
Don’t forget this team. They are always a threat.

LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Lax101 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:00 pm What are the odds of the same four teams making the final four again. In my opinion very high at maybe 70 percent. Just seems like a big jump for the next group of teams - Fla, SB, Duke, ND, Princeton, Stanford etc.

Teams in the top 20 to me are fairly equal. Most are 2 good attackers, a really good middie, a shutdown defender and a good Goalie away from advancement in the NCAA tournament. A lot of teams have talent, some more than others...and still no NC.

I'm hoping that there will be different teams challenging for the Championship. Last season I really enjoyed the ascension of Drexel, Jacksonville and Rutgers. I enjoyed watching those teams.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

ONW wrote..." “We have only won one national championship compared to Maryland and Northwestern – we are not worthy, we are not worthy.” Don’t be such a killjoy."

Not trying to kill your joy, have at it. I just think you can do so without trying to announce BC superiority over all that is Lacrosse now that they have won. JMU had never been to a final(let alone 3) and they won the NC. Their fans were excited and happy, but I don't remember them doing this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-v20t_ ... noEditions

All you need is to substitute "BC" for this wrestling icon and that is what you BC fans are trying to do. :lol:
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

In my opinion one coach that seems to get a free pass from criticism is Jenny Levy. 2 NC's in 27 years (not sure how many finals appearances) and no Tewaaraton winners when your team year in and year out has the best athletes and best recruits - for example last year's team had 3 #1 middies - Hillman, Mastroiani and Miller. They have studs all over the field. From a talent standpoint they are like Alabama in football. It's very hard to win it all but how can one say they have not underachieved.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Lax101 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:07 pm In my opinion one coach that seems to get a free pass from criticism is Jenny Levy. 2 NC's in 27 years (not sure how many finals appearances) and no Tewaaraton winners when your team year in and year out has the best athletes and best recruits - for example last year's team had 3 #1 middies - Hillman, Mastroiani and Miller. They have studs all over the field. From a talent standpoint they are like Alabama in football. It's very hard to win it all but how can one say they have not underachieved.
Not from me, and pretty sure not from Larry.
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:24 pm ONW wrote..." “We have only won one national championship compared to Maryland and Northwestern – we are not worthy, we are not worthy.” Don’t be such a killjoy."

Not trying to kill your joy, have at it. I just think you can do so without trying to announce BC superiority over all that is Lacrosse now that they have won. JMU had never been to a final(let alone 3) and they won the NC. Their fans were excited and happy, but I don't remember them doing this :

All you need is to substitute "BC" for this wrestling icon and that is what you BC fans are trying to do. :lol:
I don't know any BC fan on these boards announcing BC's superiority over all that is lacrosse. It's a silly analysis and conclusion to be drawn. If you'd like to show me where these statements are made, I'd like to read them.

You do have a hair trigger, Larry. And most of the time, the result of it is to ridicule and criticize others about their so-called uninformed statements or incorrect information. Everyone calls someone out on a statement here from time to time, but it seems to be mostly what you're here for. For all the years you've been involved in this marvelous sport--you don't seem to get much joy out of it based on what you usually post. I'm sure there are a million great stories and anecdotes you could interest, regale and intrigue us with. I'm sure we would all appreciate reading more of that side of you. Whaddaya say--how about more of the lighter side of Larry now and again?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:07 pm In my opinion one coach that seems to get a free pass from criticism is Jenny Levy. 2 NC's in 27 years (not sure how many finals appearances) and no Tewaaraton winners when your team year in and year out has the best athletes and best recruits - for example last year's team had 3 #1 middies - Hillman, Mastroiani and Miller. They have studs all over the field. From a talent standpoint they are like Alabama in football. It's very hard to win it all but how can one say they have not underachieved.
You're relatively new to FanLax (which is great--welcome!) Believe me--Levy has gotten plenty of criticism on these boards. There are certain words one can look up in the search bar. Type Levy and look at the posts from May 28th and after. You'll find a whole lotta rippin' goin' on. A fella named Cletus who I know quite well (wink-wink, nudge-nudge) wasn't as polite to use the word "underachieved". He used "choked". LarryGamLax rips into Levy quite a thorough bit as well. I don't go all in on ripping Levy however. She led the Heels to two national titles in a four year span in the not too distant past, beating Mighty Maryland both times. That ain't nuthin to impugn in my book. But that's just one fellow's opinion...

Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:08 pm

Teams in the top 20 to me are fairly equal. Most are 2 good attackers, a really good middie, a shutdown defender and a good Goalie away from advancement in the NCAA tournament. A lot of teams have talent, some more than others...and still no NC.
^^This is true^^. I might say 3 good attackers, 2 good middies, 2 strong defenders and the 1 good G.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Was Ally Mastrioiani the #1 Middie in 2017 (Inside Lacrosse)? I'm not saying you are wrong (as I cant remember), but wasn't Aldave (a middie) the 2017 #1 recruit? IIRC, they are the same class as both played with D at the Vail tourney.

Maybe you arent referring to IL's rankings, just that they are top middies. Apologies if I misunderstood.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:16 pm
Not from me, and pretty sure not from Larry.
me neither
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

HEY HEY Lax101...are you trying to start trouble? You are NOT allowed to criticize that bastion of Lacrosse talent in Chapel Hill. How dare you! These posters will tear you apart if you attack Blue Lax Heaven or Boston College. :roll:

I'm going to ask you nicely to apologize and then delete your mean post. :lol:
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:26 pm
You do have a hair trigger, Larry. And most of the time, the result of it is to ridicule and criticize others about their so-called uninformed statements or incorrect information. Everyone calls someone out on a statement here from time to time, but it seems to be mostly what you're here for. For all the years you've been involved in this marvelous sport--you don't seem to get much joy out of it based on what you usually post. I'm sure there are a million great stories and anecdotes you could interest, regale and intrigue us with. I'm sure we would all appreciate reading more of that side of you. Whaddaya say--how about more of the lighter side of Larry now and again?
Not playing moderator, as I am not one, though I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night....anyway. I get tired of the personal criticism.

The last two sentences are constructive, the first 4 not so much. Can we keep it above the board? All that those first 4 do is enflame....

Sorry for the interruption to the NU thread...maybe I am off on this, but I am old, and I get tired easily. :o
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:26 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:24 pm ONW wrote..." “We have only won one national championship compared to Maryland and Northwestern – we are not worthy, we are not worthy.” Don’t be such a killjoy."

I don't know any BC fan on these boards announcing BC's superiority over all that is lacrosse. It's a silly analysis and conclusion to be drawn. If you'd like to show me where these statements are made, I'd like to read them.

Quoth The Raven , "Nevermore"!

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”