January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:56 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:40 am
youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:08 am
Kismet wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:42 am Just curious if there were 4 suicides in your squadron/air wing when you were in the Navy what would your opinion regarding an investigation in that case have been?

You don't find it worthy of exploration in this case as to what might be going on with the police forces in question here?
That is really the 10k dollar question. it scares the bejeebus out of me wondering what was going through their minds. Certainly makes you wonder if they believed or found out that they were intentionally understaffed by those that they are there to protect, or possibly just the shear trauma of being under attack and it just scared the hell out of them.
" found out that they were intentionally understaffed"???
If that was the case, those officers would have surely said so last week.
Yes, that would have ticked them off!

That's not been a question any of them have raised...there have been questions about why there wasn't better intelligence and whether there had been some sort of bias about the likelihood of violence from a white "conservative" crowd, but not intentional understaffing. There have also been questions as to whether they were hung out to dry by the slow political/military response in support (surely it must have felt that way at the time, whether it could have been faster or not).

But I don't think any of that compares (according to the officers under oath) to the trauma of seemingly endless violence and being called traitors and other epithets, whether racial or other, by fellow Americans carrying American flags. And then rejected by a large contingent of Congress as having done their jobs bravely and honorably, pooh poohing the traumas they experienced, etc.
ahhhhh.....so now you get it,......you just will not and can not admit it. 06JAN2021 was immediately after a year of Fu*k The police, defend the police, cops are pigs, violence towards police, media sh*tting on the police, and the people the police protect are shoving them aside like spoiled food.
Huh?
Did the Cap Police complain about that?

Or are you saying the MAGA folks hate police, bought into all that anger at police violence, and racial bias?

I don't see the connection you seem to be trying to draw.
I see them as separate, important issues...why conflate them?

BTW, I have been staunchly in support of good police and policing, and opposed to actually "defunding" police, certainly opposed to vitriol and hate directed at police. I have friends who are policemen; however I think (and they do too) that police reform is very important and that the police unions have been very problematic at cleaning out bad cops.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:09 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:20 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:31 pm Funny how I was just called a leftist even though I'm expressing sympathy for the cops and feds who were only doing their job. Naturally, no criticism for that generalization.
well, you are a "leftist", right? ;)

Personally, I don't think someone who skews hard to the left necessarily is anti-law enforcement. Just as I don't think someone who skews hard right is necessarily pro-crime or pro-criminal. Or is necessarily blind to law enforcement problems.

I just think that if we ascribe some negative to a fellow poster, in a generalized way, simply because they skew left or right, we do a disservice to the discourse.

Posters occupy all sorts of shades of left and right, and they aren't monolithically all the same. Of course, if they reveal their views in that discourse, fair to attribute those views to them in specific.

By contrast, I'm usually ok with statements that are more generalized about "right wingers" or "leftists" or whatever, as long as well founded in fact, not just hyperbole or exaggeration...and even then, generalizing tends to miss nuances.

Just my opinion.

Funny how affirming universal health care, infrastructural building, limited military, Social Security, UBI, etc -- all of which were promoted by our Founding Fathers -- is, somehow, "Marxist" even Marx was born after most of our Founders were dead. At the same time, opposing these things is, somehow, patriotic {sic} in the delusional minds of the radical far right.

Laughable.
I didn't call you a Marxist (I know, others have)...but yeah, on our American policy spectrum you are certainly a "leftist".

Doesn't make you more or less wrong in your views, just a reality as to where you generally fall on the spectrum.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:30 am
Kismet wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:42 am Just curious if there were 4 suicides in your squadron/air wing when you were in the Navy what would your opinion regarding an investigation in that case have been?

You don't find it worthy of exploration in this case as to what might be going on with the police forces in question here?
That is really the 10k dollar question. it scares the bejeebus out of me wondering what was going through their minds. Certainly makes you wonder if they believed or found out that they were intentionally understaffed by those that they are there to protect, or possibly just the shear trauma of being under attack and it just scared the hell out of them.

That's not been a question any of them have raised...there have been questions about why there wasn't better intelligence and whether there had been some sort of bias about the likelihood of violence from a white "conservative" crowd, but not intentional understaffing. There have also been questions as to whether they were hung out to dry by the slow political/military response in support (surely it must have felt that way at the time, whether it could have been faster or not).

But I don't think any of that compares (according to the officers under oath) to the trauma of seemingly endless violence and being called traitors and other epithets, whether racial or other, by fellow Americans carrying American flags. And then rejected by a large contingent of Congress as having done their jobs bravely and honorably, pooh poohing the traumas they experienced, etc.
ahhhhh.....so now you get it,......you just will not and can not admit it. 06JAN2021 was immediately after a year of Fu*k The police, defend the police, cops are pigs, violence towards police, media sh*tting on the police, and the people the police protect are shoving them aside like spoiled food.
Huh?

Or are you saying the MAGA folks hate police, bought into all that anger at police violence, and racial bias?

BTW, I have been staunchly in support of good police and policing, and opposed to actually "defunding" police, certainly opposed to vitriol and hate directed at police. I have friends who are policemen; however I think (and they do too) that police reform is very important and that the police unions have been very problematic at cleaning out bad cops.
Went over your head...but you mentioned it earlier in red. Your comment (in red) applies to ALL men and women and uniform over the past YEAR, not just 6JAN.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:40 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:30 am

Huh?

Went over your head...but you mentioned it earlier in red. Your comment (in red) applies to ALL men and women and uniform over the past YEAR, not just 6JAN.
Ok, but nothing to do with Jan 6 and these suicides, the call by these officers for mental health support to deal with the extraordinary traumas of that day and its aftermath?

That's what we're discussing on here.

Yes, being called epithets has got to be very discouraging for good cops. For bad ones I have no more patience, but most are actually well meaning folks who really do want to protect and serve.

It's an enormous mistake to label all police with the egregious bigotry and violent behaviors of the worst...but the system itself MUST be reformed. Time's up.

BTW, as I'm confident you know, very few police ever go through anything remotely akin to what happened to those cops, whether cap Police or Metro on Jan 6. Very little comes remotely close to that hell.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:34 am
RE: Funny how affirming universal health care, infrastructural building, limited military, Social Security, UBI, etc -- all of which were promoted by our Founding Fathers -- is, somehow, "Marxist" even Marx was born after most of our Founders were dead. At the same time, opposing these things is, somehow, patriotic {sic} in the delusional minds of the radical far right.

Laughable.
---------

I didn't call you a Marxist (I know, others have)...but yeah, on our American policy spectrum you are certainly a "leftist".

Doesn't make you more or less wrong in your views, just a reality as to where you generally fall on the spectrum.

If that is true, then that makes our Founding Fathers leftists as well. And it makes those who oppose their views unpatriotic. On that last point we can both agree. ;)
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:14 pm
RE: Funny how affirming universal health care, infrastructural building, limited military, Social Security, UBI, etc -- all of which were promoted by our Founding Fathers -- is, somehow, "Marxist" even Marx was born after most of our Founders were dead. At the same time, opposing these things is, somehow, patriotic {sic} in the delusional minds of the radical far right.

Laughable.
---------

If that is true, then that makes our Founding Fathers leftists as well. And it makes those who oppose their views unpatriotic. On that last point we can both agree. ;)
sheesh, am I really going to bite???

ok, ok, explain how the Founding Fathers supported universal healthcare, Social Security, universal basic income...I missed those chapters. Blame it on my elitist private education.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:42 am
old salt wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:12 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:43 pm Salty, I had much the same reaction...do you want those parties fully and deeply investigated or are you gonna play defense counsel on here for these a-holes?
The facts are the facts. I'll defend them if they are accused without proof or substantiation. For example -- a member of Congress showing a voter from their district around the Capitol is not necessarily doing a recon with an insurrectionist.
On the Senate investigation, that was GOP led...on that topic.
Are you saying they actually didn't ask the right questions or did you just not like the answers and want another bite at the apple? I don't recall specifically, but were the witnesses under oath
The hearings were (D) lead, chaired by Sen Amy K.
https://www.rules.senate.gov/hearings/e ... us-capitol
And seriously, you don't think the traumas of that day likely contributed to the suicides? Really?
That's not what I said. People choose to end their own life for personal & complex reasons. Not my place to opine, presume or exploit.
Just curious if there were 4 suicides in your squadron/air wing when you were in the Navy what would your opinion regarding an investigation in that case have been?

It's definitely worthy of examination -- discreetly, by someone with access to the facts & with sensitivity toward the family, who is able to address relevant issues.

Otherwise, you get unfounded speculation, as evidenced by subsequent posts in this thread.

Very few specifics have been reported.
3 of the officers were DC Metro police, which has released very little info :

Their 1st, Officer Jeffrey Smith, was reportedly hit in the head with a thrown object.
One (or maybe both} of the 2 in July were part of the DC Metro's emergency response team within the Special Operations Division.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/02/3rd-pol ... p-mob.html
Hashida, joined the MPD in May 2003, and most recently was assigned to the emergency response team within the Special Operations Division.
Hours later, the MPD confirmed that another officer from the same department, Kyle deFreytag, died by suicide, and was found July 10.

Based on that -- were they in the thick of the mob crush OR were they well armed & part of a responding tactical unit which cleared the Capitol building ? We have no indication of what they encountered on Jan 6 & afterward.

There was only 1 Capitol Police suicide. His wife voiced her displeasure with Capitol Police leadership, on & after Jan 6.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wife-of-of ... countable/
The widow of U.S. Capitol Police Officer Howard Liebengood, who died by suicide days after he assisted with riot control at the Capitol during the January 6 attack, is calling for reforms to USCP in the wake of her husband's death....Serena Liebengood wrote that her husband was ordered to remain on duty "practically around the clock" for three days following the insurrection and "was severely sleep deprived" before his death on January 9.

"The Liebengood family wants Howie's death to not have been in vain," she wrote. She called on UCSP to designate her husband's death as "in the line of duty," and wrote "the UCSP must be held accountable for its actions and structural reforms instituted" to address the mental health of its officers.

At a congressional hearing last month, acting UCSP Chief Yogananda Pittman stated that Officer Brian Sicknick, who was injured during the Capitol assault and died on January 7, had died in the line of duty but would not acknowledge that Liebengood died in the line of duty because, she said, "it's still under investigation."
Serena Liebengood said Pittman's "reluctance…is a wrong which must be rectified."
"What must not be lost in all of this is my beloved husband died as the result his dedication to the USCP and the sacrifices he made to his well-being on January 6 and the ensuing days, just as assuredly as if he had been slain on the Capitol steps," she wrote. "Recognition of the cause of his death, much like the critical examination of the riot itself, will remain central to how we make right those tragedies and help avoid their repetition."

The statement did not address whether Liebengood had access to the significant resources in the days between Jan. 6 and Jan. 9.
Last edited by old salt on Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:20 pm

Laughable.
---------

ok, ok, explain how the Founding Fathers supported universal healthcare, Social Security, universal basic income...I missed those chapters. Blame it on my elitist private education.

Easiest thing in the world for someone like me who has done his homework:

viewtopic.php?p=26927#p26927

viewtopic.php?p=87572#p87572
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:55 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:20 pm

Laughable.
---------

Easiest thing in the world for someone like me who has done his homework:

viewtopic.php?p=26927#p26927

viewtopic.php?p=87572#p87572
Did I ask about infrastructure?

You haven't answered my actual question at all.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Thomas Paine on Social Security and UBI: http://piketty.pse.ens.fr/files/Paine1795.pdf

Ben Franklin on universal health care: http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/paharc/features/creation.html

Jefferson on government run health care: https://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/ ... 14c1405324

Need more "proof"? Still convinced all these ideas are "Marxist"??

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:16 pm Thomas Paine on Social Security and UBI: http://piketty.pse.ens.fr/files/Paine1795.pdf

Ben Franklin on universal health care: http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/paharc/features/creation.html

Jefferson on government run health care: https://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/ ... 14c1405324

Need more "proof"? Still convinced all these ideas are "Marxist"??
Man, you're making me work? ;)

Interesting reading...gonna take me a bit...of course, no surprise that you do have some conception about this topic.

Let me ask you, though, do you think Washington, Hamilton, Adams and Adams, much less the majority of the signers of the Constitution, or for that matter the Declaration of Independence, would have agreed with each of these propositions?

Or is your point that these concepts, if not exactly the same, were roughly consistent with at least some of the Founders' views?

I'll buy that.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

these concepts, if not exactly the same, were roughly consistent with at least some of the Founders' views

History reveals a great many cross references to confirm that their thoughts were consistently in agreement with them. For example, Washington and Hamilton on infrastructure, Franklin and Jefferson on health care as well as access to publicly financed education, all of these people on pension rights and relief (an early form of Social Security) for veterans and others who worked for government. Over the years I have found that much info on this can be gleaned from their private letters. Hopefully, some day a series of books or perhaps a one volume encyclopedia should be compiled which presents their views on these topics with cross references to show how they influenced each other on the issues, how they influenced Governor DeWitt Clinton who made the Great Lakes so great by applying their principles, how they influenced John Quincy Adams who wrote on the subject, and how JQA's writings influenced FDR who ultimately put them into practice. This will conclusively prove that not one of these ideas originated with Marx or with socialists. They are not Marxist ideals, they are Americanist.

old salt

Post by old salt »

MI man gets 6 mos time served on guilty plea to non-violent misdemeanor. 4 other counts dropped.
Bail was denied because he had guns back home in the UP & he gloated on FB.
How many murdered during that time by bonded out shooters ? 1 wife beheaded.
https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2 ... eanor.html
After serving nearly seven months in jail, Karl Dresch, an Upper Peninsula Michigan man who broke into the U.S. Capitol along with hundreds of President Donald Trump-supporting rioters on Jan. 6, has been released.

U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson for the District of Columbia called Dresch an “enthusiastic participant” whose “actions didn’t match his rhetoric” when she accepted his plea of guilty to a misdemeanor on Wednesday, Aug. 4, according to the Associated Press.

Dresch, 40, pleaded guilty to willfully and knowingly parading, demonstrating or picketing in a Capitol building and was released on time served. In exchange for his guilty plea, the U.S. Attorney’s Office’s dismissed four other more serious counts, including: tampering with a witness and obstruction of an official proceeding, entering and remaining in the temporary residence of the president, violent entry or disorderly conduct in a restricted residence, disorderly conduct in the Capitol.

Dresch, a married father of a 13-year-old son from Calumet in the Keweenaw Peninsula surrounded by Lake Superior, was jailed following his arrest Jan. 20 arrest and denied bond.

Investigators during service of a search warrant found ammunition in an Atlanta Braves backpack prosecutors believe Dresch wore during the Capitol attack, based on images Dresch posted on social media. Two 12-gauge shotguns, an older Russian rifle and a handgun were also seized from Dresch’s home, according to prior court filings.

Dresch’s childhood friends, neighbors, a pastor, his mayor and local sheriff wrote letters of support asking the federal judge to release Dresch on pretrial bond, but it was denied on May 27.

“I acknowledge that Karl stepped over the line by going in, however, I just want to advise you I don’t believe he is a dangerous man or a danger to the community,” Houghton County Sheriff Brian J. McLean said in his letter to the court. “Yes, there were weapons they found at his (home) in Calumet up here but nearly all homes here have weapons as we have a tremendous number of hunters and fisherman, as well as a long history of military volunteers and retirees.”

The judge in her bond denial order wrote that Dresch “did not break windows or doors to gain entry, and he did not harm anyone on the premises. But he did enter the building and did not simply stand in solidarity with the President outside, and his statements before, during, and after give rise to concerns that defendant was not only an enthusiastic, boastful participant in the assault on democracy that day, but that he stands ready to do it again.”

“Whose House? Our House!” Dresch wrote in a social media post as rioters broke down barriers, smashed windows and injured police on their way into the federal building with the intent of stopping certification of a Joe Biden election victory, which rioters claimed was illegitimate due to unfounded fraud.

Subsequent Facebook posts that contributed to Dresch’s arrest two weeks later gloated, “Patriots in the Capitol,” and depicted him posing inside while raising a “Donald Trump 2020″ flag.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Lock'em up.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:58 pm
these concepts, if not exactly the same, were roughly consistent with at least some of the Founders' views

History reveals a great many cross references to confirm that their thoughts were consistently in agreement with them. For example, Washington and Hamilton on infrastructure, Franklin and Jefferson on health care as well as access to publicly financed education, all of these people on pension rights and relief (an early form of Social Security) for veterans and others who worked for government. Over the years I have found that much info on this can be gleaned from their private letters. Hopefully, some day a series of books or perhaps a one volume encyclopedia should be compiled which presents their views on these topics with cross references to show how they influenced each other on the issues, how they influenced Governor DeWitt Clinton who made the Great Lakes so great by applying their principles, how they influenced John Quincy Adams who wrote on the subject, and how JQA's writings influenced FDR who ultimately put them into practice. This will conclusively prove that not one of these ideas originated with Marx or with socialists. They are not Marxist ideals, they are Americanist.
That would indeed be a fascinating book.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

old salt wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:26 pm MI man gets 6 mos time served on guilty plea to non-violent misdemeanor. 4 other counts dropped.
After serving nearly seven months in jail, Karl Dresch, an Upper Peninsula Michigan man who broke into the U.S. Capitol along with hundreds of President Donald Trump-supporting rioters on Jan. 6, has been released.

U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson for the District of Columbia called Dresch an “enthusiastic participant” whose “actions didn’t match his rhetoric” when she accepted his plea of guilty to a misdemeanor on Wednesday, Aug. 4, according to the Associated Press.

Dresch, 40, pleaded guilty to willfully and knowingly parading, demonstrating or picketing in a Capitol building and was released on time served. In exchange for his guilty plea, the U.S. Attorney’s Office’s dismissed four other more serious counts, including: tampering with a witness and obstruction of an official proceeding, entering and remaining in the temporary residence of the president, violent entry or disorderly conduct in a restricted residence, disorderly conduct in the Capitol.

Dresch, a married father of a 13-year-old son from Calumet in the Keweenaw Peninsula surrounded by Lake Superior, was jailed following his arrest Jan. 20 arrest and denied bond.

Investigators during service of a search warrant found ammunition in an Atlanta Braves backpack prosecutors believe Dresch wore during the Capitol attack, based on images Dresch posted on social media. Two 12-gauge shotguns, an older Russian rifle and a handgun were also seized from Dresch’s home, according to prior court filings.

Dresch’s childhood friends, neighbors, a pastor, his mayor and local sheriff wrote letters of support asking the federal judge to release Dresch on pretrial bond, but it was denied on May 27.

“I acknowledge that Karl stepped over the line by going in, however, I just want to advise you I don’t believe he is a dangerous man or a danger to the community,” Houghton County Sheriff Brian J. McLean said in his letter to the court. “Yes, there were weapons they found at his (home) in Calumet up here but nearly all homes here have weapons as we have a tremendous number of hunters and fisherman, as well as a long history of military volunteers and retirees.”

The judge in her bond denial order wrote that Dresch “did not break windows or doors to gain entry, and he did not harm anyone on the premises. But he did enter the building and did not simply stand in solidarity with the President outside, and his statements before, during, and after give rise to concerns that defendant was not only an enthusiastic, boastful participant in the assault on democracy that day, but that he stands ready to do it again.”

“Whose House? Our House!” Dresch wrote in a social media post as rioters broke down barriers, smashed windows and injured police on their way into the federal building with the intent of stopping certification of a Joe Biden election victory, which rioters claimed was illegitimate due to unfounded fraud.

Subsequent Facebook posts that contributed to Dresch’s arrest two weeks later gloated, “Patriots in the Capitol,” and depicted him posing inside while raising a “Donald Trump 2020″ flag.

The message from this travesty is something most liberals will never grasp. As plainly evidenced by the stupidity of MD’s reply (he’s useful to see the lack of nuance by liberals).

The message should be: imagine detaining anyone on a pretrial no bond deal, only to sentence them to less time than they actually served (likely in solitary, a condition that the United Nations has deemed inhumane and unlawful). Federal judges are incapable of seeing anything other than an energetic carceral system, something that liberals generally deride, unless the imprisoned are their enemies. Total hypocrites. The whole system needs to be undone, and I believe Desantis will get that done starting in 2025.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:31 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:26 pm MI man gets 6 mos time served on guilty plea to non-violent misdemeanor. 4 other counts dropped.

The message from this travesty is something most liberals will never grasp. As plainly evidenced by the stupidity of MD’s reply (he’s useful to see the lack of nuance by liberals).

The message should be: imagine detaining anyone on a pretrial no bond deal, only to sentence them to less time than they actually served (likely in solitary, a condition that the United Nations has deemed inhumane and unlawful). Federal judges are incapable of seeing anything other than an energetic carceral system, something that liberals generally deride, unless the imprisoned are their enemies. Total hypocrites. The whole system needs to be undone, and I believe Desantis will get that done starting in 2025.
"The whole system needs to be undone."

And replaced with what, exactly?

"You break it you bought it."
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
old salt

Post by old salt »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:21 pm "The whole system needs to be undone."

Consistent sentencing & bail/bond. Taking into account criminal record & violent vs non-violent offense.

Bail/bond & sentencing for BLM/Antifa mob rioters in cities across our nation who assault police officers, breach, burn & loot Fed court houses, police stations & private businesses should be the same as for the supposed insurrectionists.

Convicted felons, facing further murder charges, walk free, to kill again or behead their wife, thanks to feckless cash bail "reforms" or Soros funded prosecutors who don't even show up in court.

Demoralized police are afraid to do their jobs because they know they'll be hung out to dry if they try to stop a crime or serve a warrant, while our craven former tough prosecutor VP now helps raise funds to keep criminals on the street.

The system is already broken. Foolish liberal Dems bought it for us, ...with somebody else's money.

From a recent in depth book interview with Bill Bratton about his experiences in Boston, NY, LA, & NY again.
https://www.city-journal.org/policing-a ... am-bratton
{the interviewer} ...the United States saw one of the biggest single-year spikes in homicides in 2020 that we've seen at least in my lifetime. And the source of that has been the topic of a lot of debate, some people blame the economic stress brought by the Covid-19 pandemic, others blame the decrease in police legitimacy. I myself have suggested that the crime spike seems likely due at least in part to shifts in policy that have both raised the transaction cost of enforcing the law while at the same time lowering those breaking it. But I want to just read a short edited excerpt from your chapter on whiz kids and get your reactions.

So, you write that by the end of the 1970s, economic circumstances caused government to start cutting back on resources, budget considerations, creative deinstitutionalization, the court system began to reevaluate America's way of looking at the law and a sizable number of actions that would previously have taken people off the streets became decriminalized. Now, in the last year alone, a New York Times report found that 30 states have passed more than 140 police and criminal justice reforms.

We've seen a steady rate of decarceration over the last decade, somewhere in the range of 20 percent, as well as a 25 percent decline in arrests. We've seen bail reform, sentencing reforms, the election of progressive prosecutors in big cities across the country. And so my question is, do you see any parallels between what's happening in the policy space today and what was going on in the 1970s, and how should we be thinking about before moving forward given your experience with that world?

Bill Bratton: ...what's going on right now? We have the defund-the-police movement, reducing the size of police forces. We have the decriminalization movement with so many of the laws as part of the criminal justice reform effort the police used to deal with issues on the streets are being taken away. And what is the deinstitutionalization happening now? We are emptying our prisons and jails at a rapid rate. And what's coming out of those deals, 50 percent of people who were mentally ill, because we had no mental institutions to put them into, we put them into jail.

So, they're back on the streets, but also a lot of hardened criminals are being let out with no supervision like they did with the mentally ill back in the 1970s, with no jobs, with effectively no controls over their behavior. So, déjà vu all over again
, ...what happened in the 1970s is now happening again, ...we don't have to reinvent the world, we don't have to effectively start from scratch to reform the criminal justice system. So much of what we did was successful, could it be modified, could it have better outcome now that we know some of the unintended consequences?

Certainly, but one of my frustrations... there's this new term... progressive phobia. The progressive group basically has the phobia for anything that came before their ideas. And so, that basically erases the last 50 years of policing as they seek to reform policing. And it's crazy. It's absolutely crazy, because despite our failures, we got a lot of successes, there's a lot of things that worked.

{interviewer} : ...the arc of our history in terms of criminal justice policy. ...I see so many parallels to what is happening today, I see us repeating that history. And what I fear is that, what came after the 1970s will come after what we're doing right now, which was one of the most incredible crime spikes in urban American history in the 1980s and 1990s saw just untold numbers of people shot, killed, wounded, robbed. In 1990, New York City saw 2,262 homicides, more than 114,000 robberies.

Bill Bratton: You know what's even more frightening than that ...? 1990 also saw 5,000 people shot on the streets in New York. And I think the murder count will be even higher now that we have so many improved trauma centers that a lot of those shooting victims are saved that would have been 20 years ago homicide victims. And the shooting number is the one that most frightens me, not so much the homicide number, but the shooting number, because that's the real issue.

But it is this idea that it took almost 25 years to get to 1990, it took us a year to get to 2021. So, the dramatic explosion of crime after almost 30 years of a decline, it was like the pandemic, nobody saw it coming and all of a sudden it was here with such devastating effect. And that's what's the frightening aspect about it. In the twenty-first century, everything is accelerated anyway, we're in the whole world of internet it's digital, but the old-fashioned thing about crime and disorder how did it just fall apart so quickly? I still scratch my head about what the hell happened.

{interviewewr} : It really is a disconcerning and precarious time that I think we're living in. And then I think people in American cities are starting to feel it. And one of the things that you talked about in your chapter on community policing, was this sense that people weren't going to put up with untold amounts of disorder, eventually everyone had a breaking point and you talked about the suburbanization that followed the crime increase.

And when I think about the financial positions of American cities today, they rely on a relatively small slice of their population for their tax base. But these are also people with means to leave if safety is not something that they view is guaranteed to them. And I wonder what you make of the risk of that happening again. Do you see a move away from cities as crime gets out of control? Do you think that that ultimately harms the ability of municipalities to fund their departments to the requisite degree that's going to be necessary to get this problem under control?

Bill Bratton: I do, in the sense that 50 years repeated the cycle, what happened in the 1970s that American cities were dying, American cities were being written off basically, everybody, the whites who could afford to get away from school to segregation, housing desegregation were fleeing... to the suburbs. And we're seeing that potential once again, and with the cities what's left behind in the cities is the poor and the minority, in cities that in many instances rely on not so much manufacturing like they used to years ago, rely now on tourism, rely on the ability to attract outsiders whether to come and work or to come and be entertained, to come and be educated.

If those cities are seen as dangerous places, people who can afford to are going to look to send their kids to school elsewhere, they're going to look to go someplace else for their entertainment. And that's something that New York is going to have to watch very closely, as we hope this will be birth of the Theater District, et cetera. As colleges and universities, as they begin to reopen once again for kids coming back to school. Your parent is going to pay $75,000 to send your kid to NYU.

And you're seeing night after night on the news Washington Square Park degenerating into chaos, is that where you're going to send your kid? USC had an experience years ago, USC receives over a billion dollars a year with Asian students attending USC, principally Chinese. They had a young Chinese student murdered on the periphery of the campus some years ago and the fall-off on Asian applications in that school was immediate and phenomenal. So, those are issues that are going to have to be looked at going forward, that we saw a time when Americans were fleeing the cities.

This audience I'm sure is very familiar with the term broken windows and the idea of references quality of life. ...the basic mission for which the police exist is to prevent, prevent crime and disorder. In the 1970s, ...as we come out of the 1960s, society, government, political leaders said to the police, "You cannot prevent crime, you can only respond to it. Society is going to have to work on what causes crime, poverty, unemployment racism."

So while we fix that, ...you the police you should just basically focus on improved response to crime, 911 calls, numbers of arrests so you can show activity, but it was all after the fact. ...I was assigned to help develop a neighborhood policing program in a very distressed area of Boston that house some of the leading institutions in Boston, ...Northeastern, Boston University, the Museum of Fine Arts, 21 of the leading institutions in Boston were concentrated in an area called Back Bay, Fenway Kenmore, and the crime rate there was phenomenal in the 1970s.

And what was also phenomenal was the disorder, prostitution, aggressive begging, the homeless, graffiti, all the things that drive the public crazy. So, very early on, after having been exposed to Sir Robert Peel's emphasis on crime and disorder, I saw firsthand as I went to community meetings that I organized, people didn't want to talk about the serious crime and there was no shortage of that. They wanted to talk about stuff that was driving them crazy, the prostitute on their doorstep at night, the gang in the corner raising hell all hours of the night.

And why weren't the police doing anything about that? Well, in the 1970s and 1980s, police as we reduced our numbers, as we basically pull back, we focused on responding to 911 calls, and to serious crime and officers were no longer walking a beat so we lost intimacy with the neighborhood. When we got air conditioning in 1978 in our police cars, we just rolled up the windows and we lost even more contact with the neighborhoods. And so, I early on, was exposed to... the idea that it is important to focus on not only serious crime, but what the patient and every community is a patient basically and police chiefs are doctors.

You have to listen to your patient, what do they want you to work on? I understood for the next 50, 40 years that you had to work on both. If you only worked on one, you were not going to cure the patient.

...the rest is history ...the crime turnaround in America began in the subways of New York, the success on the streets of New York, where it was much more visible, really began the catalyst of the trying turnaround in America for so many reasons, quality life enforcement, broken windows, CompStat, focusing on serious crime in a very different way. And the idea of the old adage, if you can make it in New York, you can make it anywhere. New York was viewed as the most dangerous major city in the world at that time and in a few years, it was rated as the safest large city in the world.

{interviewer} : ...in our current moment, calls for police reform has really coalesced around slogans, like defund the police to which you've responded we should refund the police. And so the question is, what do you tell people who argue that you can't achieve reform while rewarding police departments with more funding? Do you see a tension between the calls for defund and the calls for improvements?

Bill Bratton: I certainly do. I'm very active in rebuking the defund-the-police movement label, that at this critical time with rising crime, with rising dissatisfaction with the police, to reform the police to the level of expectation that so many who wants to see police improve, it's going to require refunding as police have for too long in America been asked to do too much with too little, in the sense that the burden of the homelessness, burden of the emotionally disturbed, burden of the drug addicted has fallen to the police to deal with while at the same time, the training is so necessary to deal with the equipment, et cetera.

The ability to recruit people who are capable of dealing with those complex societal issues has just not kept pace. So, the L.A. chapter ...in the book, ...spoke to dealing with a department that had been at war with this black community for 50 years, and the issue of race and police entwined, you can't separate the two and you're never going to resolve police reform or ever resolve the issue of race reformation without basically addressing both issues at the same time. They're joined like this, and you can't separate them.
... The political cowardice of today, phenomenal. Phenomenal.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

old salt wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:30 am
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:21 pm "The whole system needs to be undone."

Consistent sentencing & bail/bond. Taking into account criminal record & violent vs non-violent offense.

Bail/bond & sentencing for BLM/Antifa mob rioters in cities across our nation who assault police officers, breach, burn & loot Fed court houses, police stations & private businesses should be the same as for the supposed insurrectionists.

Convicted felons, facing further murder charges, walk free, to kill again or behead their wife, thanks to feckless cash bail "reforms" or Soros funded prosecutors who don't even show up in court.

Demoralized police are afraid to do their jobs because they know they'll be hung out to dry if they try to stop a crime or serve a warrant, while our craven former tough prosecutor VP now helps raise funds to keep criminals on the street.

The system is already broken. Foolish liberal Dems bought it for us, ...with somebody else's money.

From a recent in depth book interview with Bill Bratton about his experiences in Boston, NY, LA, & NY again.
https://www.city-journal.org/policing-a ... am-bratton
{the interviewer} ...the United States saw one of the biggest single-year spikes in homicides in 2020 that we've seen at least in my lifetime. And the source of that has been the topic of a lot of debate, some people blame the economic stress brought by the Covid-19 pandemic, others blame the decrease in police legitimacy. I myself have suggested that the crime spike seems likely due at least in part to shifts in policy that have both raised the transaction cost of enforcing the law while at the same time lowering those breaking it. But I want to just read a short edited excerpt from your chapter on whiz kids and get your reactions.

So, you write that by the end of the 1970s, economic circumstances caused government to start cutting back on resources, budget considerations, creative deinstitutionalization, the court system began to reevaluate America's way of looking at the law and a sizable number of actions that would previously have taken people off the streets became decriminalized. Now, in the last year alone, a New York Times report found that 30 states have passed more than 140 police and criminal justice reforms.

We've seen a steady rate of decarceration over the last decade, somewhere in the range of 20 percent, as well as a 25 percent decline in arrests. We've seen bail reform, sentencing reforms, the election of progressive prosecutors in big cities across the country. And so my question is, do you see any parallels between what's happening in the policy space today and what was going on in the 1970s, and how should we be thinking about before moving forward given your experience with that world?

Bill Bratton: ...what's going on right now? We have the defund-the-police movement, reducing the size of police forces. We have the decriminalization movement with so many of the laws as part of the criminal justice reform effort the police used to deal with issues on the streets are being taken away. And what is the deinstitutionalization happening now? We are emptying our prisons and jails at a rapid rate. And what's coming out of those deals, 50 percent of people who were mentally ill, because we had no mental institutions to put them into, we put them into jail.

So, they're back on the streets, but also a lot of hardened criminals are being let out with no supervision like they did with the mentally ill back in the 1970s, with no jobs, with effectively no controls over their behavior. So, déjà vu all over again
, ...what happened in the 1970s is now happening again, ...we don't have to reinvent the world, we don't have to effectively start from scratch to reform the criminal justice system. So much of what we did was successful, could it be modified, could it have better outcome now that we know some of the unintended consequences?

Certainly, but one of my frustrations... there's this new term... progressive phobia. The progressive group basically has the phobia for anything that came before their ideas. And so, that basically erases the last 50 years of policing as they seek to reform policing. And it's crazy. It's absolutely crazy, because despite our failures, we got a lot of successes, there's a lot of things that worked.

{interviewer} : ...the arc of our history in terms of criminal justice policy. ...I see so many parallels to what is happening today, I see us repeating that history. And what I fear is that, what came after the 1970s will come after what we're doing right now, which was one of the most incredible crime spikes in urban American history in the 1980s and 1990s saw just untold numbers of people shot, killed, wounded, robbed. In 1990, New York City saw 2,262 homicides, more than 114,000 robberies.

Bill Bratton: You know what's even more frightening than that ...? 1990 also saw 5,000 people shot on the streets in New York. And I think the murder count will be even higher now that we have so many improved trauma centers that a lot of those shooting victims are saved that would have been 20 years ago homicide victims. And the shooting number is the one that most frightens me, not so much the homicide number, but the shooting number, because that's the real issue.

But it is this idea that it took almost 25 years to get to 1990, it took us a year to get to 2021. So, the dramatic explosion of crime after almost 30 years of a decline, it was like the pandemic, nobody saw it coming and all of a sudden it was here with such devastating effect. And that's what's the frightening aspect about it. In the twenty-first century, everything is accelerated anyway, we're in the whole world of internet it's digital, but the old-fashioned thing about crime and disorder how did it just fall apart so quickly? I still scratch my head about what the hell happened.

{interviewewr} : It really is a disconcerning and precarious time that I think we're living in. And then I think people in American cities are starting to feel it. And one of the things that you talked about in your chapter on community policing, was this sense that people weren't going to put up with untold amounts of disorder, eventually everyone had a breaking point and you talked about the suburbanization that followed the crime increase.

And when I think about the financial positions of American cities today, they rely on a relatively small slice of their population for their tax base. But these are also people with means to leave if safety is not something that they view is guaranteed to them. And I wonder what you make of the risk of that happening again. Do you see a move away from cities as crime gets out of control? Do you think that that ultimately harms the ability of municipalities to fund their departments to the requisite degree that's going to be necessary to get this problem under control?

Bill Bratton: I do, in the sense that 50 years repeated the cycle, what happened in the 1970s that American cities were dying, American cities were being written off basically, everybody, the whites who could afford to get away from school to segregation, housing desegregation were fleeing... to the suburbs. And we're seeing that potential once again, and with the cities what's left behind in the cities is the poor and the minority, in cities that in many instances rely on not so much manufacturing like they used to years ago, rely now on tourism, rely on the ability to attract outsiders whether to come and work or to come and be entertained, to come and be educated.

If those cities are seen as dangerous places, people who can afford to are going to look to send their kids to school elsewhere, they're going to look to go someplace else for their entertainment. And that's something that New York is going to have to watch very closely, as we hope this will be birth of the Theater District, et cetera. As colleges and universities, as they begin to reopen once again for kids coming back to school. Your parent is going to pay $75,000 to send your kid to NYU.

And you're seeing night after night on the news Washington Square Park degenerating into chaos, is that where you're going to send your kid? USC had an experience years ago, USC receives over a billion dollars a year with Asian students attending USC, principally Chinese. They had a young Chinese student murdered on the periphery of the campus some years ago and the fall-off on Asian applications in that school was immediate and phenomenal. So, those are issues that are going to have to be looked at going forward, that we saw a time when Americans were fleeing the cities.

This audience I'm sure is very familiar with the term broken windows and the idea of references quality of life. ...the basic mission for which the police exist is to prevent, prevent crime and disorder. In the 1970s, ...as we come out of the 1960s, society, government, political leaders said to the police, "You cannot prevent crime, you can only respond to it. Society is going to have to work on what causes crime, poverty, unemployment racism."

So while we fix that, ...you the police you should just basically focus on improved response to crime, 911 calls, numbers of arrests so you can show activity, but it was all after the fact. ...I was assigned to help develop a neighborhood policing program in a very distressed area of Boston that house some of the leading institutions in Boston, ...Northeastern, Boston University, the Museum of Fine Arts, 21 of the leading institutions in Boston were concentrated in an area called Back Bay, Fenway Kenmore, and the crime rate there was phenomenal in the 1970s.

And what was also phenomenal was the disorder, prostitution, aggressive begging, the homeless, graffiti, all the things that drive the public crazy. So, very early on, after having been exposed to Sir Robert Peel's emphasis on crime and disorder, I saw firsthand as I went to community meetings that I organized, people didn't want to talk about the serious crime and there was no shortage of that. They wanted to talk about stuff that was driving them crazy, the prostitute on their doorstep at night, the gang in the corner raising hell all hours of the night.

And why weren't the police doing anything about that? Well, in the 1970s and 1980s, police as we reduced our numbers, as we basically pull back, we focused on responding to 911 calls, and to serious crime and officers were no longer walking a beat so we lost intimacy with the neighborhood. When we got air conditioning in 1978 in our police cars, we just rolled up the windows and we lost even more contact with the neighborhoods. And so, I early on, was exposed to... the idea that it is important to focus on not only serious crime, but what the patient and every community is a patient basically and police chiefs are doctors.

You have to listen to your patient, what do they want you to work on? I understood for the next 50, 40 years that you had to work on both. If you only worked on one, you were not going to cure the patient.

...the rest is history ...the crime turnaround in America began in the subways of New York, the success on the streets of New York, where it was much more visible, really began the catalyst of the trying turnaround in America for so many reasons, quality life enforcement, broken windows, CompStat, focusing on serious crime in a very different way. And the idea of the old adage, if you can make it in New York, you can make it anywhere. New York was viewed as the most dangerous major city in the world at that time and in a few years, it was rated as the safest large city in the world.

{interviewer} : ...in our current moment, calls for police reform has really coalesced around slogans, like defund the police to which you've responded we should refund the police. And so the question is, what do you tell people who argue that you can't achieve reform while rewarding police departments with more funding? Do you see a tension between the calls for defund and the calls for improvements?

Bill Bratton: I certainly do. I'm very active in rebuking the defund-the-police movement label, that at this critical time with rising crime, with rising dissatisfaction with the police, to reform the police to the level of expectation that so many who wants to see police improve, it's going to require refunding as police have for too long in America been asked to do too much with too little, in the sense that the burden of the homelessness, burden of the emotionally disturbed, burden of the drug addicted has fallen to the police to deal with while at the same time, the training is so necessary to deal with the equipment, et cetera.

The ability to recruit people who are capable of dealing with those complex societal issues has just not kept pace. So, the L.A. chapter ...in the book, ...spoke to dealing with a department that had been at war with this black community for 50 years, and the issue of race and police entwined, you can't separate the two and you're never going to resolve police reform or ever resolve the issue of race reformation without basically addressing both issues at the same time. They're joined like this, and you can't separate them.
... The political cowardice of today, phenomenal. Phenomenal.

OS gets it.

If you are at all invested in the reform of the carceral and policing systems of America, start with the easy stuff. The problem however lies in our left side of America, who either aren’t bright enough to understand how the little things create big things, or simply are unable to rise above partisan differences to actually ever address systemic reform.

If you look at this board alone, behold how liberals like MD and Brooklyn demand pretrial detention and no bail for a guy like Thomas Barrack. I have no idea if Barrack is guilty or not, nor does anyone tbh, nor frankly do I even understand what he’s charged with, and in spite of MD saying he knows everything about everything, liberals don’t even understand the charges. What we ALL know however is Barrack is not charged with a VIOLENT crime. Even the most partisan liberal can agree that violence is not in this guy’s past nor future. So what happens to him? He’s forced to post bail of $250,000,000.00 :lol: :lol: If you can’t understand how idiotic our system is based on this case alone, I’m not sure I can ever help you.

I don’t have a problem if a judge demands $250 million from a career criminal who is charged with and almost surely guilty of a new murder. But non-violent confusing charges? :lol:

It simply eludes liberals that a system which demands $250,000,000.00 from a NON-VIOLENT SUSPECT gives cover to systemic abuses of the indigent or the least able to defend themselves. You need to grasp that basic concept to have any further dialogue with brighter people who are able to see the system for the problem it is, regardless of politics, skin color, or net worth.

Return to “POLITICS”