Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Progressive Ideology

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:13 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:00 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:35 am https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-f ... ue#image=2

This new mayors leadership should prove everything our FLP folks on this forum have been prognosticating. If you spend enough money you can solve all the problems that a city has to deal with. Good luck to you Ms Mayor, your gonna need it.
No sure I understand...did St. Louis get a boatload of money?

You linked a picture of house being rehabbed by the man cutting the lawn?
How is this a problem?

Or did St. Louis simply elect its first black mayor?
If you read the article it says the new mayor's plan is to invest a significant amount of money in various projects in the city of St Louis. The hope is that doing so will make a difference. I wish the mayor the best of luck. What she is proposing is the same thing many of the more progressive folks on this have been advocating. Time will tell if that idea will work. Why were you hinting there was some sort of racial overtone to what I posted? Is that the only take you got from it? The point of the article was written right there for you to read.
Sorry, I only saw the pictures...when I clicked the x I got the article, now read.

St. Louis has been long starved for money relative to its challenges.

Moving money around is unlikely, IMO, to sufficiently change the paradigm there. There's a reference to a half billion in pandemic relief...depending on how much of that is still available, there could be some real opportunity...same for the infrastructure bills coming. St. Louis has massive infrastructure challenges.

I think there's a growing consensus that reduced police funding is not actually the right answer, though serious reform is very important...but what is really needed is far more spending on all the social infrastructure needs.

Gotta be spent smart, but that's what's needed if we're really going to transform these cities.

Indeed, good luck.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:28 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:35 am https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-f ... ue#image=2

This new mayors leadership should prove everything our FLP folks on this forum have been prognosticating. If you spend enough money you can solve all the problems that a city has to deal with. Good luck to you Ms Mayor, your gonna need it.

How is this a problem?

If you read the article it says the new mayor's plan is to invest a significant amount of money in various projects in the city of St Louis. The hope is that doing so will make a difference. I wish the mayor the best of luck. What she is proposing is the same thing many of the more progressive folks on this have been advocating. Time will tell if that idea will work. Why were you hinting there was some sort of racial overtone to what I posted? Is that the only take you got from it? The point of the article was written right there for you to read.
Sorry, I only saw the pictures...when I clicked the x I got the article, now read.

Moving money around is unlikely, IMO, to sufficiently change the paradigm there. There's a reference to a half billion in pandemic relief...depending on how much of that is still available, there could be some real opportunity...same for the infrastructure bills coming. St. Louis has massive infrastructure challenges.

I think there's a growing consensus that reduced police funding is not actually the right answer, though serious reform is very important...but what is really needed is far more spending on all the social infrastructure needs.

Gotta be spent smart, but that's what's needed if we're really going to transform these cities.

Indeed, good luck.
I agree with you completely. It all depends on how the money is used. I hate repeating this cliche but it is true. Give a person a fish and they will eat for a day. Teach a person how to fish and they can eat for a lifetime.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:03 am

How is this a problem?

Indeed, good luck.
I agree with you completely. It all depends on how the money is used. I hate repeating this cliche but it is true. Give a person a fish and they will eat for a day. Teach a person how to fish and they can eat for a lifetime.
Only problem.....give em a few years and then they'll also be saying St.Louis pushed out minorities in the name of gentrification.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:30 pm

How is this a problem?

Indeed, good luck.
Only problem.....give em a few years and then they'll also be saying St.Louis pushed out minorities in the name of gentrification.
Not sure who you mean by "they", but St. Louis has lots and lots of potential for growth in population.
Yes, there will be gentrification, if the rejuvenation of the city is successful...they key is to help families be successful in their transition, whether in place, or moving elsewhere.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

No sane human can justify trans athletes competing in any Olympics.

Laurel Hubbard of New Zealand just crashed out of the women’s weightlifting, failing in all 3 attempts. As happy I am that this person won’t collect any medal, I’m afraid others will use it to claim that in fact biological makes are not in fact stronger than women.

Think of whatever poor young lady didn’t get to go to the Olympics because of this travesty.

I’m simply assuming this board agrees that trans people should never compete in Olympic competition, though I’m nervous I overestimate some.

Let’s see the replies!
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:10 am No sane human can justify trans athletes competing in any Olympics.

Laurel Hubbard of New Zealand just crashed out of the women’s weightlifting, failing in all 3 attempts. As happy I am that this person won’t collect any medal, I’m afraid others will use it to claim that in fact biological makes are not in fact stronger than women.

Think of whatever poor young lady didn’t get to go to the Olympics because of this travesty.

I’m simply assuming this board agrees that trans people should never compete in Olympic competition, though I’m nervous I overestimate some.

Let’s see the replies!
A bit of a tangent and I had to go back to my memory bank for this. The date is easy for me to remember, February 1, 2003. My youngest son was wrestling in a tournament in Canandaigua. This one match involved a young girl and a young boy. The boy was clueless as to how to wrestle this girl. When the match began he grabbed the young girl by her chest and body slammed her and pinned her A parent sitting behind me summed it up perfectly..if that boy ever touched her like that anytime else they would have thrown his ass in jail. It was shortly after that they announced the space shuttle had burned up on re entry to earth. Not much that happened really mattered after that.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:13 am
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:10 am No sane human can justify trans athletes competing in any Olympics.

Let’s see the replies!
A bit of a tangent and I had to go back to my memory bank for this. The date is easy for me to remember, February 1, 2003. My youngest son was wrestling in a tournament in Canandaigua. This one match involved a young girl and a young boy. The boy was clueless as to how to wrestle this girl. When the match began he grabbed the young girl by her chest and body slammed her and pinned her A parent sitting behind me summed it up perfectly..if that boy ever touched her like that anytime else they would have thrown his ass in jail. It was shortly after that they announced the space shuttle had burned up on re entry to earth. Not much that happened really mattered after that.

It’s a slippery slope indeed when we ignore basic biological facts. It ends up in very bad ways. I’m also certain very few people of the left ever understand that.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

How is this a problem?

Indeed, good luck.
A joke from an older Jewish friend I worked with for a CRE CDO in NYC back in the 2000s when discussing Manhattan gentrification and how you could see it stop within a few blocks of the “X’s” you’d see from aerial shots (projects in Harlem) - “It’s different, they’re not Jews and have to live somewhere, it’s not like they can just all be pushed into the sea...”
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:27 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:13 am

Let’s see the replies!

It’s a slippery slope indeed when we ignore basic biological facts. It ends up in very bad ways. I’m also certain very few people of the left ever understand that.
The slippery slope is only hazardous to those unshod in the shoes of reason.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:40 pm

How is this a problem?

Indeed, good luck.
A joke from an older Jewish friend I worked with for a CRE CDO in NYC back in the 2000s when discussing Manhattan gentrification and how you could see it stop within a few blocks of the “X’s” you’d see from aerial shots (projects in Harlem) - “It’s different, they’re not Jews and have to live somewhere, it’s not like they can just all be pushed into the sea...”
Same in DC, the 'projects' are triangulated by Audi Field, Nats Park, and The Wharf.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

And yet they’ve built townhomes all the way down to the jail on east Capitol and the ballpark area has flipped on its head since the first half of 2000s when I was there and did a deal on a 400 unit multifamily property down there by that crappy Phillips seafood joint.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:53 pm And yet they’ve built townhomes all the way down to the jail on east Capitol and the ballpark area has flipped on its head since the first half of 2000s when I was there and did a deal on a 400 unit multifamily property down there by that crappy Phillips seafood joint.
You'd barely recognize the place now...
~Livy

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:15 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:53 pm And yet they’ve built townhomes all the way down to the jail on east Capitol and the ballpark area has flipped on its head since the first half of 2000s when I was there and did a deal on a 400 unit multifamily property down there by that crappy Phillips seafood joint.
I've been through a hadnful of times past few years but for business so mostly either in NW/Mont Co/and some of NOVA furthest "down" into the capitol core I've stayed last few years was below Logan Circle at a hotel on MassAve (maybe the John Quincy Adams hotel or some presidential name) but aside from Nat Cap Bank it's mainly on the fringes and nowhere near emergent areas of the city like below Eastern Market. Mostly like Bethesda for dinner with the non under FBI investigation folks at Eagle Bank or out in Fairfax/Reston/Dulles area like Freedom Bank and the de novo started by Joe Bracewell and Shaza Anderson near the reston town ctr.

Have a buddy who started a fund last year and got onto George Mason's board who used to work with Eric Kantor the politician as a banker at Moelis I'm due to visit sometime soon in the area but haven't made any plans yet. That'll be my next trip up there most likely.

Was surprised and how yuppiesh Chinatown had gotten. I went to a number of caps and bullets games 02-04 and even "dated" (hung out without a lot of the expensive formal outings as I was balls deep in grad school debt then) the Wizards/Bullets cheerleader coach for a brief stretch so was familiar with the changes around MCI center first part of that last decade but now it is lame and sucks like being in gramercy park without the greenery or the shoppes at buckhead where Kasim Reed proudly declared the project with our tax dough would become the Rodeo Drive of Atlanta...
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:23 pm
I've been through a hadnful of times past few years but for business so mostly either in NW/Mont Co/and some of NOVA furthest "down" into the capitol core I've stayed last few years was below Logan Circle at a hotel on MassAve (maybe the John Quincy Adams hotel or some presidential name) but aside from Nat Cap Bank it's mainly on the fringes and nowhere near emergent areas of the city like below Eastern Market. Mostly like Bethesda for dinner with the non under FBI investigation folks at Eagle Bank or out in Fairfax/Reston/Dulles area like Freedom Bank and the de novo started by Joe Bracewell and Shaza Anderson near the reston town ctr.

Have a buddy who started a fund last year and got onto George Mason's board who used to work with Eric Kantor the politician as a banker at Moelis I'm due to visit sometime soon in the area but haven't made any plans yet. That'll be my next trip up there most likely.

Was surprised and how yuppiesh Chinatown had gotten. I went to a number of caps and bullets games 02-04 and even "dated" (hung out without a lot of the expensive formal outings as I was balls deep in grad school debt then) the Wizards/Bullets cheerleader coach for a brief stretch so was familiar with the changes around MCI center first part of that last decade but now it is lame and sucks like being in gramercy park without the greenery or the shoppes at buckhead where Kasim Reed proudly declared the project with our tax dough would become the Rodeo Drive of Atlanta...
Was her name Carla K. by chance?
~Livy

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:37 pm

No but recall this is like 16 or 17yrs ago now. Recall last time i hung out with her publicly she was showing me some new dance moves they were inplementing - at a restaurant. suddenly I lost her number after that. She wasn't particularly interesting or in the mensa crowd, when I first met her she told me she knows finance "like the rule of 72 you know" so take that for what it's worth. But she had the aesthetic qualities and energy of a professional dancer and that was good enough for like 4-6 weeks of my time in my early mid 20s...
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Man, if these Olympics are proving anything, you got to keep the woke nonsense out of sport.

First the US Women’s soccer team loses, now Gwen Berry finishes almost dead last. The New Zealand trans gal finishes last.

Should be a lesson, but it won’t. I realize the hill we face trying to get the libs back to reality, but it never hurts to point out where they go astray. :lol:

And before you say what about Raven Saunders, I will point out that at least Raven has a sense of humor, plus she’s on record as fighting for everyone, plus she says she loves being an American.

Gwen and Rapinoe are bitter folks. Love Raven.

America is the best, everything always works out in the end!!!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Yeah, this is trolling IMO, Petey.

Just being a jerk.
Rooting for American athletes to not win medals... :roll:
While sitting on your couch...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

As a uncompetitive, unathletic person no less...
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:09 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:37 pm

No but recall this is like 16 or 17yrs ago now. Recall last time i hung out with her publicly she was showing me some new dance moves they were inplementing - at a restaurant. suddenly I lost her number after that. She wasn't particularly interesting or in the mensa crowd, when I first met her she told me she knows finance "like the rule of 72 you know" so take that for what it's worth. But she had the aesthetic qualities and energy of a professional dancer and that was good enough for like 4-6 weeks of my time in my early mid 20s...
Gotcha. My wife was a Bullette' for part of the season in 93 or 94, can't recall...then bounced not even a 1/4 the way thru the season when the cheerleading coach made them put their nose in the corner and stupid sh*t like that for minor issues. The Carla girl was also miss maryland a little before your time.
~Livy

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

This one had been a knicks cheerleader then came down to DC around 02-03 area to do this. Congrats on having a cheerleader wife however. I salute you.

Return to “POLITICS”