Who is supporting the immigrant caravan?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
jhu72

Re: Who is supporting the immigrant caravan?

Post by jhu72 »

No sure what gay men have to do with the immigrant caravan, but in my experience with my two son's high school friends, some who are gay (all out while in HS), the young men were models of desirable behavior. Pleasant, smart, caring, helpful. A joy to be around. Every mother's dream son. These young men still visit our home from time to time. My 3 kids all had a wide circle of friends in HS, LGB, straight, athletes, nerds, all races, all ethnicities, all religions. None of these kids seemed to give a care about the differences in backgrounds. A much different experience from my HS experience where their was very little "visible" diversity, and the only diversity generally recognized was of the religious variety.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:23 am
Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:42 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:31 am
Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:24 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:31 amNeither do I. When i was in HS a close friend of mind was gay. The worst day of his life may have been our senior prom having to take a girl to the dance and pretend it did not bother him.
he was out in HS? Or just out with you (and few others)?
Just with me and a few friends. He would have been terrified to come out in 1976.
And for good reason. That's super impressive Old Salt. Courageous guy and there must be something special about you that he trusted you with this information. That's great. :)
I think you're talking to cradle, not Old Salt.

Good story, cradle. I didn't have any friends who were 'out' in '76, though the following year a friend visited our college with his singing group and told me, though it's not as if it had been difficult to guess. Very good guy, well liked in HS, just not 'out'; went to NYC, on stage, acting, singing, directing...died at tail end of HIV. Tragic. Several others came out much later...had a very tough time in HS. One, very angry about it, I persuaded to come to our 25th reunion party at our home...sure enough warmly accepted, he's now very much re-engaged with our school, as well as class. Times change.
I have two sets of friends who recently had their kids come out. One is a girl that is transitioning. Parents are supportive. Second is a guy. Mother is fine with it, father in denial. Oddly, I suspected it about 3 years ago. Father football guy…played and coached.
“I wish you would!”
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:42 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:23 am I think you're talking to cradle, not Old Salt.
You're correct. Sorry, Cradle.

My sister graduated from a local private school in '82 or '83. Several of her closest friends were openly out. I think living within shooting distance of NYC helped. Though, to do the same at our local public school would've been a very different experience for these boys. In other words, relativity to a major city is not a insta-cure for homophobia. Bottomline, they were out and it was the early 80s. That's pretty long ago. Pretty good. I think MTV also helped. Having Kajagoogoo and Boy George and whoever else on a loop 24 hours a day 7 days a week I think also helped the cause. And, MD, like you lost a lot of these friends during the AIDS crisis. Massive number of deaths within the gay community. Massive...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Anyone care to share why Cuban's will be treated differently than those walking in from our southern border?

Camilo Montoya-Galvez
@camiloreports
DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said Haitian and Cuban migrants and asylum-seekers who try to come to the U.S. by boat will not be allowed to enter the country.

Even if asylum-seekers establish fear of persecution, they will be resettled in third countries, Mayorkas said.
Maybe it is because they will all vote a certain way and call BS to the party of pandering?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:36 pm Anyone care to share why Cuban's will be treated differently than those walking in from our southern border?

Camilo Montoya-Galvez
@camiloreports
DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said Haitian and Cuban migrants and asylum-seekers who try to come to the U.S. by boat will not be allowed to enter the country.

Even if asylum-seekers establish fear of persecution, they will be resettled in third countries, Mayorkas said.
Maybe it is because they will all vote a certain way and call BS to the party of pandering?
NO WAY!! Are you implying our FLP friends on this forum are wading hip deep in their own hypocrisy? :o
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:46 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:36 pm Anyone care to share why Cuban's will be treated differently than those walking in from our southern border?

Camilo Montoya-Galvez
@camiloreports

NO WAY!! Are you implying our FLP friends on this forum are wading hip deep in their own hypocrisy? :o
Inquiring minds certainly would like to know. #OnlySomeLatinLivesMatter ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:59 pm

Camilo Montoya-Galvez
@camiloreports

Inquiring minds certainly would like to know. #OnlySomeLatinLivesMatter ;)
I believe that Bernie Sanders is the only politician on the independent/ Democrat side to blame the chaos in Cuba on America. I'm guessing at least a few of our fellow posters here will very quickly jump on that bandwagon. I'm certain it has nothing to do with 60 plus years of failure of the regime in Cuber. Maybe Michael Moore can go over there and sort it out. He is an expert on Cuber or so he says. :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Camilo Montoya-Galvez
@camiloreports

... I'd say it is you guys wading hip deep in that hypocrisy. You guys are ok with Cuban's being allowed in illegally? :lol:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:47 pm

Camilo Montoya-Galvez
@camiloreports

... I'd say it is you guys wading hip deep in that hypocrisy. You guys are ok with Cuban's being allowed in illegally? :lol:
😂😂 nice pivot, care a answer why Cubans would be treated differently than the thousands rolling in?
~Livy

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:07 am
jhu72 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:47 pm

Camilo Montoya-Galvez
@camiloreports

😂😂 nice pivot, care a answer why Cubans would be treated differently than the thousands rolling in?
... I think Biden is trying to deal humanely with a difficult problem. Notice it is not just Cubans, there are Haitians as well. His folks have made similar statements about those trekking through Mexico. People probably don't remember all the people that died the last time Cubans decided to set sail. I doubt the warning will stick, Biden will be forced to relax the restrictions.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Great idea !
https://news.yahoo.com/texas-democrat-c ... 54377.html
Rep. Henry Cuellar (D-Texas) and Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) urged President Biden on Friday to name Obama-era Department of Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson to a special role focused on dealing with migration at the border.

Although Cuellar supports Biden, he has been one of the few Democrats to consistently sound the alarm on overwhelmed border agency resources and the impact on his border district.

The two sent a letter to Biden asking him to create the position and appoint Johnson. "We've had border czars in the past," Cuellar said at a press briefing Friday

What they're saying: "[W]e request that you immediately create a special executive position vested with the authority to implement federal policies which prioritize the health and safety of U.S. communities at the southern border," the Graham and Cueller wrote in the letter.

"Jeh Johnson carries an exceptional bipartisan reputation for pragmatic approaches to complex border security and immigration challenges."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

That would imply the VP is doing a poor job, no? Or, that Trump was right...its a cluster eff and we need to shut it down, then open it back up in a controlled measure.
~Livy

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:57 am That would imply the VP is doing a poor job, no? Or, that Trump was right...its a cluster eff and we need to shut it down, then open it back up in a controlled measure.
"Shut if down, then open it back up..." :roll:

The VP's portfolio was to focus on root causes of the migration, to pay attention to what policies the US should apply to the regions from which these migrants are fleeing. Not border security and management.

Sure sounds to me like they've recognized that they still have a mess at the border, both practically and politically. In addition to the migrant pressure, there are serious issues with the contractors employed. They don't want to take a heavy, militaristic approach, but they do need to put far more attention to it.

Jeb Johnson brings high credibility. Not a bad idea.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:07 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:57 am That would imply the VP is doing a poor job, no? Or, that Trump was right...its a cluster eff and we need to shut it down, then open it back up in a controlled measure.

The VP's portfolio was to focus on root causes of the migration, to pay attention to what policies the US should apply to the regions from which these migrants are fleeing. Not border security and management.

Sure sounds to me like they've recognized that they still have a mess at the border, both practically and politically. In addition to the migrant pressure, there are serious issues with the contractors employed. They don't want to take a heavy, militaristic approach, but they do need to put far more attention to it.

:lol: :lol:
~Livy

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:19 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:07 am

:lol: :lol:
Which part(s) of my post do you find humorous?

Do you think Jeh (caught the spellcheck) Johnson isn't credible?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Biden is the new Trump....who knew? BREAKING: The Biden Administration has renewed/extended Title 42, the Trump era COVID-19 policy that allows migrants to be expelled from the United States & returned to Mexico immediately due to public health concerns. Migrant unaccompanied children are exempted. @FoxNews

https://twitter.com/billfoxla/status/14 ... 72353?s=21
~Livy

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:21 pm Biden is the new Trump....who knew? BREAKING: The Biden Administration has renewed/extended Title 42, the Trump era COVID-19 policy that allows migrants to be expelled from the United States & returned to Mexico immediately due to public health concerns. Migrant unaccompanied children are exempted. @FoxNews

https://twitter.com/billfoxla/status/14 ... 72353?s=21
Were children exempted under Trump?
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

News report indicates that the USA is going to allow thousands of new immigrants from Afghanistan. Where's the outrage from the right wingers who say we don't need new immigrants?
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:44 pm News report indicates that the USA is going to allow thousands of new immigrants from Afghanistan. Where's the outrage from the right wingers who say we don't need new immigrants?

At this stage, with millions crossing into the US from Mexico, no one would even notice a few thousand afghanis.

The question I have of Democrats is: are you really okay with a borderless America? So far as I can tell, America no longer cares who comes into our country. It’s open borders on the southern line. No one is turned back.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:44 pm News report indicates that the USA is going to allow thousands of new immigrants from Afghanistan. Where's the outrage from the right wingers who say we don't need new immigrants?
The same place it was when we welcomed Vietnamese refugees after we withdrew from Vietnam.

Return to “POLITICS”