Will Maryland be a Powerhouse again in 2022?

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Will Maryland be a Powerhouse again in 2022?

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

It's well documented that the Terps have not been their old dominant selves over the past two seasons. During that stretch, their combined record is 13-10; 6-10 vs ranked teams; 0-6 vs top 10. Very different numbers than what is typical if one compares with the two previous years before 2020. Over those 2 years (2018-19) their combined record was 42-3; 31-2 vs ranked teams; 17-2 vs top 10. You could look it up.

Obviously--Maryland is not where they want to be. There have been some highly touted players leaving College Park over the last couple of years, most notably defender Emma Schettig (to Notre Dame). But there have also been a good number of players coming to Maryland. With all the recent intriguing incoming transfers so far this offseason which include some very talented players--like graduate student attacker Aurora Cordingley formerly of JHU. Others include: So M Natalie Pansini (Princeton); So M Shannon Smith (Carolina); Jr D Clancy Rheude (Albany); Gr D Abby Bosco (Penn)--it appears coach Cathy Reese is trying to quickly get her team back up where they belong. (Cool song by Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warmes comes to mind writing that.)

But will she be successful?

That's a tough one to answer definitively. Every dynasty comes to an end at some point. We saw it with Timchal's Terps at the turn of the century, and we saw it with Northwestern recently. These programs still won but they went through a period of not being serious threats to win it all. It took Maryland 9 years after Timchal to get back to the final game when they won again for Reese's 1st back in 2010. Northwestern hasn't been back to the final game since they last won in 2012. It happens to all dynasties. I think there is common ground to stand on and acknowledge that there is at least a pause in the Reese dynasty. I'll venture to say chapter 2 of the Maryland dynasty is over.

Will Reese be able to start another chapter in 2022? Does her style/philosophy/strategy still communicate as well with the new players coming in each year?

As far as the players, there is no doubt Maryland still gets an extremely high quality of recruits coming in each year. The Terps have 6 competing in the All-America game today! Entering her sophomore season, Hannah Leubecker could be exceptional next year as she showed flashes of athleticism and scoring brilliance during 2021. Will there be emerging leaders on offense again--the way they had to a degree with Jen Giles and Erica Evans in 2019? (pictured above)
Last edited by OuttaNowhereWregget on Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
seacoaster

Re: Will Maryland be a Powerhouse again in 2022?

Post by seacoaster »

Maryland should be shopping around for a new coach. She’s a meany.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:32 pm
It's well documented that the Terps have not been their old dominant selves over the past two seasons. During that stretch, their combined record is 13-10; 6-10 vs ranked teams; 0-6 vs top 10. Very different numbers than what is typical if one compares with the two previous years before 2020. Over those 2 years (2018-19) their combined record was 42-3; 31-2 vs ranked teams; 17-2 vs top 10. You could look it up.

That's a tough one to answer definitively. Every dynasty comes to an end at some point. We saw it with Timchal's Terps at the turn of the century, and we saw it with Northwestern recently.

Will Reese be able to start another chapter in 2022? Well--let's look at Reese herself to begin with. Has she lost any power in the locker room? Does her style/philosophy/strategy still communicate as well with the new players coming in each year? I have frequently thought back to an unforgettable scene from last years game at NU in late March where it looked like Reese lost her composure.
I think way too much emphasis is put solely on winning champinoships being the meaning of a "dynasty". Sure, sports journalists don't usually attach the word "dynasty" to a team or person unless they are winning championships, but the fact that from 1990-2021, a period of 31 years, the Terps have made it to championship weekend 24 times including 10 straight years from 2009-2019, speaks for itself. Even with the brief hiatus from championship weekend from '04-'08, I don't think any other program has had consistency like that over a span of 30 years.

There's been a lot of great discussion on the wlax forum about team chemistry and creating team culture and UMD is a great case study for it. Reese has been able to consistently reload for over a decade. After Cummings (lead the team in points, assists, draw controls, ground balls, and caused turnovers her junior & senior year) & Mercer (one of the most dominant, shut down, transition sparking, defenders in the nation) graduated and the Terps seemed a little more beatable. Still a top 5 team & loaded with talent, but not as overwhelmingly dominant. And what do they do? Come out the next season go 23-0, win the championship, and have a Tewaaraton winner for the 4th straight year.

We must just have different opinions on what makes a team a powerhouse and when that title can be revoked, but I really can't get behind a generalization like that after only 1.5 seasons.

As for losing her composure, I really didn't see anything in that video clip that looked anything even close to alarming. Was she fired up? Sure. Few things are more frustrating as a coach than when your team is not playing up to their potential. Look at her reaction within the context of the game:

1. the box score shows that this was NU's 6th goal in 4 minutes
2. that 6 goal run took a very close 10-7 game and blew it wide open to 15-7
3. From the commentary it sounds like one of NU's top 5 scorers was left wide open on the doorstep, which is a mistake that potentially commits several cardinal sins of defense (getting caught ball watching, prioritizing your mark over a threat in the 8, lack of communication, sliding, etc.)

Even without the context, I still don't think it's noteworthy. With the context...tbh I wouldn't have blamed her if she were more angry.

Look at the players' body language - eye contact, nodding in agreement, it's positive.
Last edited by wlaxphan20 on Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:02 pm I think way too much emphasis is put solely on winning champinoships being the meaning of a "dynasty". Sure, sports journalists don't usually attach the word "dynasty" to a team or person unless they are winning championships, but the fact that from 1990-2021, a period of 31 years, the Terps have made it to championship weekend 24 including 10 straight years from 2009-2019. Even with the brief hiatus from championship weekend from '04-'08, I don't think any other program has had consistency like that over a span of 30 years.

There's been a lot of great discussion on the wlax forum about team chemistry and creating team culture and UMD is a great case study for it. Reese has been able to consistently reload for over a decade. After Cummings (lead the team in points, assists, draw controls, ground balls, and caused turnovers her junior & senior year) & Mercer (one of the most dominant, shut down, transition sparking, defenders in the nation) graduated and the Terps seemed a little more beatable. Still a top 5 team & loaded with talent, but not as overwhelmingly dominant. And what do they do? Come out the next season go 23-0, win the championship, and have a Tewaaraton winner for the 4th straight year.

We must just have different opinions on what makes a team a powerhouse and when that title can be revoked, but I really can't get behind a generalization like that after only 1.5 seasons.

As for losing her composure, I really didn't see anything in that video clip that looked anything even close to alarming. Was she fired up? Sure. Few things are more frustrating as a coach than when your team is not playing up to their potential. Look at her reaction within the context of the game:

3. From the commentary it sounds like one of NU's top 5 scorers was left wide open on the doorstep, which is a mistake that potentially commits several cardinal sins of defense (getting caught ball watching, prioritizing your mark over a threat in the 8, lack of communication, sliding, etc.)

Even without the context, I still don't think it's noteworthy. With the context...tbh I wouldn't have blamed her if she were more angry.

Look at the players' body language - eye contact, nodding in agreement, it's positive.
Good points. What are your thoughts for '22? How do you think they'll do with all the transfers and incoming rookies?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:29 pm
Good points. What are your thoughts for '22? How do you think they'll do with all the transfers and incoming rookies?
I think they'll definitely be happy to play a non-conference schedule. The '21 season must have felt like Groundhog Day. They add yet another Carroll County Player of the Year to their roster which is never a bad thing. I think the class they graduated in 2019 left a very big gap at every level of the field. Caroline Steele (A), Jen Giles (M), Meghan Siverson (M), Erica Evans (M), Julia Braig (D), and Megan Taylor (G) all graduated. Then you had the cancelation of 2020 which seemed like a blessing in disguise since it allowed Colson to recover from tearing her ACL, but Kali Hartshorn choosing not to return for a 5th year coupled with Colson not being fully recovered by the start of the season meant they were very green around the ears everywhere on the field. In 2021 only 5 starters had more than 10 games experience under their belt - the rest had fewer or none at all because they were true freshmen. Players who would have gotten experience in a reserve role in 2020 never were able to gain that experience or confidence either because of the canceled season.

A lot of young players with little to no experience were essentially thrown in the deep end, and I think that will benefit them in 2022. These players have their feet wet, there's great talent coming in (always is, Reese has it growing in her own backyard), and veteran leadership from their own program and others as well. There's no undefeated at home win streak or defending national championship monkey on their back either. Maryland is always a disciplined, fundamentally sound program tactically and individually. If things go well, they should be a top 10 team this season.

Transfers into UMD have usually done well. Kathy Rudkin, Meghan Siverson, and Erica Evans all fit in nicely. I don't think anyone transfers into UMD because they want to be an all-star.

I'll admit I don't know much about Maryland's incoming class but it's usually mostly in-state players with some Long Island sprinkled in there. Maybe a dash of NJ or upstate NY, with the tiniest dab of southeastern PA.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

#1 inside lacrosse recruiting classes 2021 and 2022.

Some good pieces coming back

Transfers

Should be ok.
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:06 pm I think they'll definitely be happy to play a non-conference schedule. The '21 season must have felt like Groundhog Day.
Why do you suppose?

(The Groundhog Day comment gave me a chuckle. I always appreciate an aptly applied cultural reference.)
OuttaNowhereWregget

Essexfenwick wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:16 pm #1 inside lacrosse recruiting classes 2021 and 2022.

Transfers

Should be ok.
Do you think they'll win the Big 10? How deep do you see them going in the NCAA's?
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Essexfenwick wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:16 pm #1 inside lacrosse recruiting classes 2021 and 2022.

Transfers

Should be ok.
The Inside Lax top recruiting class may be like a Sports illustrated cover curse. Hasn’t worked out to well lately from my recollection. See ND and Penn State for examples
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Dasher wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:32 am

Transfers

Should be ok.
The Inside Lax top recruiting class may be like a Sports illustrated cover curse. Hasn’t worked out too well lately from my recollection. See ND and Penn State for examples
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:20 am
wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:06 pm I think they'll definitely be happy to play a non-conference schedule. The '21 season must have felt like Groundhog Day.
Why do you suppose?

(The Groundhog Day comment gave me a chuckle. I always appreciate an aptly applied cultural reference.)
Their out of conference schedule has been pretty consistent. UNC, Florida, Cuse, Princeton, JMU, UVA, & William and Mary have been pretty regularly scheduled since Maryland joined the Big 10 from the ACC in 2015. They also play Penn a lot. There are a couple other programs that are close in proximity which is convenient - Navy, Georgetown, & Towson have showed up on their schedule too.

I imagine once you've got an out of conference match-up both coaches like, it pretty much stays on the schedule and alternates hosts each year. It would be much harder to start completely blank each season from a logistical standpoint. I don't know everything that goes in to planning a schedule like that, but I imagine personal relationships go into it as well. I know it's been mentioned in several articles over the years about how Cathy Reese and Jenny Levy both really wanted to keep each other on their schedules after Maryland left the ACC. I think that conference change turned out great for the fans too, who now get to see these two teams play a lot earlier in the season.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:21 am

Transfers

Should be ok.
Do you think they'll win the Big 10? How deep do you see them going in the NCAA's?
I honestly have no idea. It’s really up to the actual caliber of players. The coaches have a proven culture so the players have to have athletic arrogance. They have some base pieces returning and they will need a couple freshmen and a few transfers to be really good.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

2021 class as a whole country-wide is not considered to be very strong so having the #1 class in that group may not equate to much on the field. It's amazing how some classes overall are strong and others are somewhat weak. For example the 2016 class was exceptionally strong, 2020 class is said to be strong, whereas 2021 is considered weak overall in comparison to those classes.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Lax101 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:05 pm 2021 class as a whole country-wide is not considered to be very strong so having the #1 class in that group may not equate to much on the field. It's amazing how some classes overall are strong and others are somewhat weak. For example the 2016 class was exceptionally strong, 2020 class is said to be strong, whereas 2021 is considered weak overall in comparison to those classes.

Good thing UMD has the number one class in 2002 also. Whew! That would suck if they were stuck with only the crappy number one 2021 class. I think Cathy wants to get UMD to 20 nattys by the end of her career and she’s gonna need all the number one classes she can get to get those 5 more nattys. If she’s not careful .. BC might win 14 straight and tie UMD and that would be a major choke job.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Lax101 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:05 pm 2021 class as a whole country-wide is not considered to be very strong so having the #1 class in that group may not equate to much on the field. It's amazing how some classes overall are strong and others are somewhat weak. For example the 2016 class was exceptionally strong, 2020 class is said to be strong, whereas 2021 is considered weak overall in comparison to those classes.
You keep saying this but a lot of those girls from the "strong 2020 class" couldn't get on the field this past year and several have already transferred out of their school
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Transfers

Should be ok.
They Don't have to win the Big 10. All they have to do is get into the NCAA Tournament and be one of the contenders. I see them being able to do that with no problem.
You're acting like the world has gone into another dimension. It has not. They have a staff that has won FIVE...5 National Championships since 2010. Isn't that more than anyone else? That answer would be YES! You guys love to beat your chests and bump your gums about a team who has won ONE NC(last season) after 4 tries and about a team that has won NONE and just got a 27 yr. old(with 3 years coaching experience as an Assistant) to take over as HC of a team that played in this past season's Final. You guys should hit your nearest Sports Book and see what kind of action you can get. You love the shiny new toys, so let's see how they work next season.
In my book, Reese and Company are solid and have trophies in their cases that show they are the real deal. They'll be better than just fine.
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:25 pm

Transfers

Should be ok.
They Don't have to win the Big 10. All they have to do is get into the NCAA Tournament and be one of the contenders. I see them being able to do that with no problem.
You're acting like the world has gone into another dimension. It has not. They have a staff that has won FIVE...5 National Championships since 2010. Isn't that more than anyone else? That answer would be YES! You guys love to beat your chests and bump your gums about a team who has won ONE NC(last season) after 4 tries and about a team that has won NONE and just got a 27 yr. old(with 3 years coaching experience as an Assistant) to take over as HC of a team that played in this past season's Final. You guys should hit your nearest Sports Book and see what kind of action you can get. You love the shiny new toys, so let's see how they work next season.
In my book, Reese and Company are solid and have trophies in their cases that show they are the real deal. They'll be better than just fine.
How do you think they'll do next season, Larry?
How far do you see them advancing in the NCAA's?
Do you think they're a serious threat to win another national championship in '22?
I'm interested in your perspective.
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:29 am Their out of conference schedule has been pretty consistent. UNC, Florida, Cuse, Princeton, JMU, UVA, & William and Mary have been pretty regularly scheduled since Maryland joined the Big 10 from the ACC in 2015. They also play Penn a lot. There are a couple other programs that are close in proximity which is convenient - Navy, Georgetown, & Towson have showed up on their schedule too.
Some of those games will be marquee matchups next year, provided they do play all the usual regulars you mentioned. The Florida game as Maryland will look to avenge their last loss to the Gators. I just came across this bit of history the other day on Twitter. https://twitter.com/GatorsLAX/status/12 ... 73856?s=20
That was some kind of day for Florida. Perhaps the highlight of their career for many of the Florida players. But I digress.
The game against Carolina is always Game of the Week worthy, if not the game itself, certainly the anticipation for it. Syracuse is typically big but I think the Orange will roll over the Terps next season. JMU might be a tossup. Who knows what the Ivy game(s) will look like after such a long hibernation for the Ancient Eight. Maryland is still a huge draw so any game they play against the top ranked teams next year will be intriguing. Just 6-1/2 months away...
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:25 pm They Don't have to win the Big 10. All they have to do is get into the NCAA Tournament and be one of the contenders. I see them being able to do that with no problem.

Obviously. BC didn't win the ACC regular season or even make it to the ACC final in the tournament last year on their way to their first national title.

You're acting like the world has gone into another dimension. It has not. They have a staff that has won FIVE...5 National Championships since 2010. Isn't that more than anyone else? That answer would be YES!

True--but only 1 in the last 3, and bounced in the 2nd round last season.

You guys love to beat your chests and bump your gums about a team who has won ONE NC(last season) after 4 tries

I don't know who you mean by "you guys". I think it's only natural for BC fans to revel in their first national title after 3 consecutive unsuccessful trips previously. There hasn't been any chest beating at this address. In fact, I've been an advocate for the team staying humble and not making comments to the press about winning again next year, which unfortunately have already been made.

and about a team that has won NONE and just got a 27 yr. old(with 3 years coaching experience as an Assistant) to take over as HC of a team that played in this past season's Final.

I have never read any chest beating comments about Syracuse on these boards. The Syracuse fans here are highly supportive of their Orange but no one is trumpeting their greatness in comparison to Maryland. And I don't think Ms. Treanor's age or lack of coaching experience is relevant. Late 20's isn't out of the ordinary for a first time head coach, especially in the ACC.

You guys should hit your nearest Sports Book and see what kind of action you can get.

Do sports books even take action on women's lacrosse? I'd love to know of an online site just to see what the lines were before certain big games. It would provide some good fodder for discussion and gentlemen's wagers. Plus any sports book taking action for next years national championship would undoubtedly place Syracuse and BC above Maryland to win it all.

If a LarryGamLax Sports Book existed, what would you set the odds at for next years national championship for BC, Carolina, Syracuse, Maryland, etc?

You love the shiny new toys, so let's see how they work next season.

Without a doubt--both Syracuse and BC will be intriguing teams to track and watch over the next few seasons.

In my book, Reese and Company are solid and have trophies in their cases that show they are the real deal.

They'll be better than just fine.

OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:02 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:32 pm

That's a tough one to answer definitively. Every dynasty comes to an end at some point. We saw it with Timchal's Terps at the turn of the century, and we saw it with Northwestern recently.

Will Reese be able to start another chapter in 2022? Well--let's look at Reese herself to begin with. Has she lost any power in the locker room? Does her style/philosophy/strategy still communicate as well with the new players coming in each year? I have frequently thought back to an unforgettable scene from last years game at NU in late March where it looked like Reese lost her composure.
I think way too much emphasis is put solely on winning champinoships being the meaning of a "dynasty". Sure, sports journalists don't usually attach the word "dynasty" to a team or person unless they are winning championships, but the fact that from 1990-2021, a period of 31 years, the Terps have made it to championship weekend 24 times including 10 straight years from 2009-2019, speaks for itself. Even with the brief hiatus from championship weekend from '04-'08, I don't think any other program has had consistency like that over a span of 30 years.

Thanks for taking the time to explain things from an obviously more experienced perspective. I learned a lot from reading your comments.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”