THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by 51percentcorn »

This is worse than the Wharton push/no push call in the Dome - wake me when this is over

While the female color person had trouble with terminology and was too monotone - she doesn't need to be Dick Vitale but some emotion might be nice - she had enough experience with the game to note that the Carolina mid-fielders - especially Atayan #24 - were getting free alley dodges with the Hopkins SSDM no where to be found - Atayan scored one time and he was literally not touched the entire 15-20 yard dodge. I get conditions were bad but it didn't happen when Hopkins had the ball. Again without those 3 transition goals - likely 0-3 and at DEFCON 5.

Princeton scored 23 in their first game and had something like 34 shots on goal against UVA - I'm looking into my crystal ball and I am not seeing 24 saves for Hopkins. Their face-off guys are at 60%. Uh-oh
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:19 am This is worse than the Wharton push/no push call in the Dome - wake me when this is over

While the female color person had trouble with terminology and was too monotone - she doesn't need to be Dick Vitale but some emotion might be nice - she had enough experience with the game to note that the Carolina mid-fielders - especially Atayan #24 - were getting free alley dodges with the Hopkins SSDM no where to be found - Atayan scored one time and he was literally not touched the entire 15-20 yard dodge. I get conditions were bad but it didn't happen when Hopkins had the ball. Again without those 3 transition goals - likely 0-3 and at DEFCON 5.

Princeton scored 23 in their first game and had something like 34 shots on goal against UVA - I'm looking into my crystal ball and I am not seeing 24 saves for Hopkins. Their face-off guys are at 60%. Uh-oh
Wrong DEFCON. You meant DEFCON 1 aka COCKED PISTOL.

Not DEFCON 5.

runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:19 am This is worse than the Wharton push/no push call in the Dome - wake me when this is over

Or....clearly the same as the season ending injury to Josh Dionne, caused by an illegal cross check to the chest.

This is the vaunted Hopkins thread, shirley someone knows the origin and entemology behind the cross check, (personnel) and hold (tech) making its way into the rule book.....but changing to a non-call, NO CALL.
The clowns at US lacrosse made cross checking LEGAL for first time 8 year old players.........awesomer. :roll: :roll:
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

This at least the second time in a single calendar year that the Wombat has had to educate us about the Defcon grading rubric.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Princeton hasn't been able to buy a faceoff the last few years (when Currier wasn't cheating). If they've suddenly found 1 or 2 good FOGOs it could be another long day in NJ for the Jays. Narewski is the real deal, so I don't foresee a dominant Princeton effort there, but he'll certainly need to have a respectable game.

Sowers gave Foley some trouble last year, luckily the rest of the Princeton offense had an off day, we controlled faceoffs, and worked their shorties on defense. Austin Sims who destroyed us two years ago had a rare off day shooting the ball and Princeton got very little else from its midfield. Tinney, obviously no longer a factor, and DeSimone both had good days dodging from the midfield. Saturday would be a great time for DeSimone to have a breakout game. Someone said it best earlier—he's currently on a milk carton. Last year was also a good game for Williams with 4 goals as the Princeton D looked a little lost trying to figure out his size. Valis had 3 goals as an off-ball finisher—who is stepping into that role this year? Smith? Cattoni? He's scored in each game so far, impressive for a freshman middie, but he should probably have twice as many goals as he does. He's been stoned on the crease more than once.

The Jays got off the bus in Carolina, something they failed to do in Jersey two years ago. I don't really want to be 1-3 headed into the Dome next week, last year's 18-7 demolition notwithstanding. At 2-2, with a chance to go 3-2 and our two "easiest" games of the season on deck after that, things could start to turn around but it needs to begin this weekend with a W against a solid Princeton team.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:11 am This at least the second time in a single calendar year that the Wombat has had to educate us about the Defcon grading rubric.
It’s what I do.

DMac

Post by DMac »

reLAX wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:09 am
44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:13 pm
PeteStreet wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:08 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:29 pm :lol: :lol:
Is "clearances" a word in lacrosse?
Not any more than "Attacker" :lol:

These announcers are just horrible...
I usually enjoy listening to student announcers. Not today.
That said, I can come down off my ledge.
The female announcer is a former lacrosse goalie. In wonens lacrosse the term is attacker and defender. They take draws, not face offs. I do agree with “clearances” being odd.
That's pretty much the point, re, no? It was a mlax she was doing. Have seen several times when male announcers doing wlax games have used the wrong terminology and the women (when there used to be women who hung out around here/LP) were very quick to come on and correct them. In the Cuse-Army mlax game in the Dome the other day (the scoreboard shows FOs and shots) it still said draws on the scoreboard for the first part of the game because the girls had played Northwestern a couple of hours earlier. They changed it FOs eventually because that's what it should be.
If I remember correctly, the male announcer was actually the one using clearances.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sorry - I wasn't aware that any reference to Defense Conditions had to tie out with the official ranking by the United States military. I think the point was made - 0-3 would have been a big problem with the impending two games on the road.
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:21 am Narewski is the real deal, so I don't foresee a dominant Princeton effort there, but he'll certainly need to have a respectable game.
Let's temper the expectations on the kid. I can remember the predictions in '16 for Turnbaugh after the win at Navy and the extremely close loss at Loyola. Matt N. has gone 56% since facing Woodall - 51% overall. I'm not going to barbeque the child for losing a lot of F/Os to Woodall his first game ever but again Savio/Tucci aren't exactly Baptiste/Ierlan. Princeton went 62% against UVA - though it seems UVA is struggling somewhat there. You never can tell about unknown face-off match-ups - I certainly wouldn't be surprised by a 50/50ish outcome - I think the point is it better be because the Tigers are putting what must be 30 or more shots on goal in their two games. Monmouth and UVA are not defensive juggernauts to date but then again with 17/18/10 GA neither is Hopkins.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:28 am Sorry - I wasn't aware that any reference to Defense Conditions had to tie out with the official ranking by the United States military. I think the point was made - 0-3 would have been a big problem with the impending two games on the road.
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:21 am Narewski is the real deal, so I don't foresee a dominant Princeton effort there, but he'll certainly need to have a respectable game.
Let's temper the expectations on the kid. I can remember the predictions in '16 for Turnbaugh after the win at Navy and the extremely close loss at Loyola. Matt N. has gone 56% since facing Woodall - 51% overall. I'm not going to barbeque the child for losing a lot of F/Os to Woodall his first game ever but again Savio/Tucci aren't exactly Baptiste/Ierlan. Princeton went 62% against UVA - though it seems UVA is struggling somewhat there. You never can tell about unknown face-off match-ups - I certainly wouldn't be surprised by a 50/50ish outcome - I think the point is it better be because the Tigers are putting what must be 30 or more shots on goal in their two games. Monmouth and UVA are not defensive juggernauts to date but then again with 17/18/10 GA neither is Hopkins.
Savio was 15/28 against UVA and 16/23 against Rutgers, so 31/51 (60%) in the two games outside of facing Narewski. He's not Woodall (few guys are) but he's solid, and Narewski got the best of him.

Tucci was 54/88 (61%) in UNC's first three games—granted against weak competition but Carolina fans couldn't stop talking about how they found their next great FOGO. Narewski brought him back down to earth a little bit.

I'm not saying he will be the next Trevor Baptiste, or even the next Hunter Moreland, but I think it's fair to call him "the real deal" based on what we've seen from him to this point. It's not just that he's winning some faceoffs—it's the way in which he's winning them. He's won more than a couple to himself, and would have been quite a few more than that if not for the mud last week. Also, outside of Woodall, he's not getting beat cleanly very often. Moreland did a ton for this program in his career but we all know he wasn't the world's greatest athlete, in part due to an accumulation of lower body injuries. Narewski is big (6'3'') for a FOGO and has adequate speed.

I was impressed by how he gained momentum as the Carolina game went on. He won 8/13 faceoffs after halftime which tells me either A) he made a good adjustment or B) the other guy started getting tired, but he didn't. Either way, it was good.

Perhaps I'm irrationally optimistic but to my eyes, Narewski has "it"—the game tape shows a kid with a lot of potential. Now of course cue him winning 30% against Princeton.
reasure1

Post by reasure1 »

It appears that the men like the mud, great game at UNC, on the road no less, and they won a close game.
viper

Post by viper »

reasure1 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:03 pm It appears that the men like the mud, great game at UNC, on the road no less, and they won a close game.
The irony of life, look what's opening at UNC for this Saturday's UNC-Denver game. No more mud-bowls in Chapel Hill!

https://goheels.com/news/2019/2/25/wome ... adium.aspx
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

viper wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:07 am
reasure1 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:03 pm It appears that the men like the mud, great game at UNC, on the road no less, and they won a close game.
The irony of life, look what's opening at UNC for this Saturday's UNC-Denver game. No more mud-bowls in Chapel Hill!

i'm pretty sure it's a grass field. they like grass @ carolina.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

wgdsr wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:17 am
viper wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:07 am

i'm pretty sure it's a grass field. they like grass @ carolina.
With all the UNC support on this thread and anti-Hopkins woofers, you’d think there would be one true Tarhole to have given us the low down on this new facility in the past week and a half.

We’ve been infested by Fake Woofers.
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:56 am
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:28 am Sorry - I wasn't aware that any reference to Defense Conditions had to tie out with the official ranking by the United States military. I think the point was made - 0-3 would have been a big problem with the impending two games on the road.
Savio was 15/28 against UVA and 16/23 against Rutgers, so 31/51 (60%) in the two games outside of facing Narewski. He's not Woodall (few guys are) but he's solid, and Narewski got the best of him.

Tucci was 54/88 (61%) in UNC's first three games—granted against weak competition but Carolina fans couldn't stop talking about how they found their next great FOGO. Narewski brought him back down to earth a little bit.

I'm not saying he will be the next Trevor Baptiste, or even the next Hunter Moreland, but I think it's fair to call him "the real deal" based on what we've seen from him to this point. It's not just that he's winning some faceoffs—it's the way in which he's winning them. He's won more than a couple to himself, and would have been quite a few more than that if not for the mud last week. Also, outside of Woodall, he's not getting beat cleanly very often. Moreland did a ton for this program in his career but we all know he wasn't the world's greatest athlete, in part due to an accumulation of lower body injuries. Narewski is big (6'3'') for a FOGO and has adequate speed.

I was impressed by how he gained momentum as the Carolina game went on. He won 8/13 faceoffs after halftime which tells me either A) he made a good adjustment or B) the other guy started getting tired, but he didn't. Either way, it was good.

Perhaps I'm irrationally optimistic but to my eyes, Narewski has "it"—the game tape shows a kid with a lot of potential. Now of course cue him winning 30% against Princeton.

I thought that he won the initial clamp a lot against UNC , but he wasn’t able to secure the gb I mostly blame this on the field conditions. He would have won more if not for the field conditions.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

anyone have a preview of what saturday should look like and what if any changes they expect in the lineup for us?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:59 pm anyone have a preview of what saturday should look like and what if any changes they expect in the lineup for us?
Is Jack Lyne hurt, again. Hasn't played a lick this season, last I checked.

pgct.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

So here we are at the same point as last year. While there are few "good loses", after today's Towson/Loyola game our two don't look quite as bad. Can we turn it around again?
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
WeWantMoreLax

Post by WeWantMoreLax »

Drcthru wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:26 pm So here we are at the same point as last year. While there are few "good loses", after today's Towson/Loyola game our two don't look quite as bad. Can we turn it around again?
Absolutely agreee. In fact I hopped on here just to see what people had to say about the “other battle for Charles Street” tonight. I feel like it said as much for the Blue Jays as it did for either of the teams playing. No shame in a loss to either of those teams.

That said, our guys will probably need to figure out how to beat at least one of them at some point later in the year.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Drcthru wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:26 pm So here we are at the same point as last year. While there are few "good loses", after today's Towson/Loyola game our two don't look quite as bad. Can we turn it around again?
What Nadelen is doing at Towson is very impressive

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”