Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Russell Allen new head coach at Canisius

Read all about it:

https://twitter.com/canisiuswlax/status ... 64167?s=21
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

I always find it interesting when schools hire someone with : no scholarship experience at any level, no NCAA Division 1 compliance experience, and no NCAA Division 1 recruiting experience.....to run an NCAA Division 1 program.

He may do a hell of a job there. And I am sure he is a great guy to boot. But divvying up scholarships, balancing a bigger budget, complying with nuanced D1 legislation, and recruiting in a completely different landscape is going to be a significant learning curve for him.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:01 pm I always find it interesting when schools hire someone with : no scholarship experience at any level, no NCAA Division 1 compliance experience, and no NCAA Division 1 recruiting experience.....to run an NCAA Division 1 program.

He may do a hell of a job there. And I am sure he is a great guy to boot. But divvying up scholarships, balancing a bigger budget, complying with nuanced D1 legislation, and recruiting in a completely different landscape is going to be a significant learning curve for him.

REALLY? You went THERE? And then you throw out "I am sure he's a great guy to boot". WT EFF?? Smh, because you act like this is Neurosurgery. Does he have a college degree? Does he have coaching experience? Can he add, subtract, multiply and divide? You seem to feel that dividing up scholarships, budget balancing and recruiting is tantamount to climbing Mt. Olympus in pajamas. What you said was freaking insulting!
I am sure that you did not mean it that way, but that's exactly how it comes off. This man has been coaching for a while(unlike a 3 year asst who got a HC job at a top 5 D1 program) and I'm going to believe that he KNOWS what to do.

Best of luck to Coach Allen in this new challenge.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

I went there, Larry. You seem to imply that the three year assistant that took over a top five program isn't ready. Why? Because she doesn't have the relevant experience? Doesn't that sound like the exact argument I just made about the Canisius coach?

And yes, I threw in the part about "I am sure he is a nice guy" because if I didn't, people would say I was attacking his character or something. Because God forbid you offer a coherent, fact based argument on this forum. Nothing I said about the Canisius hire was untrue. You may argue the relevance of what I brought up; and you certainly have the right to do so. But you cannot argue whether my point was based in fact. It was. He has never dealt with scholarships (and the parental negotiation that takes place with them), never dealt with Division 1 recruiting bylaws, never dealt with club coaches trying to "place" their players at certain programs at the Division 1 level, and never deal with hours restrictions at the Division 1 level. These things are fact. Can he do them? I have no idea; never met the guy. Should these things have been taken into consideration when he was hired? I hope they were. What were the qualifications of the female candidates for this position? If I were a female coach with experience at the Division 1 level and applied for this job and didn't get it, I would have some questions. Wouldn't you, Larry?

If Alabama football hired a Division 3 football coach that had not spent any time at the BCS level as an assistant or head coach, would you be concerned about his/her ability to recruit, coach, market, deal with ESPN and the media, and be the CEO of an SEC program?
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

ps. I love you, Lar!
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

Asa goldstock asst coach at usc 👍🏼
OuttaNowhereWregget

Cagekeeper wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:51 pm Asa goldstock asst coach at usc 👍🏼
Some kind of goaltender shuttle between USC and Syracuse...
Ipayforlax

New Clemson HC is……

Post by Ipayforlax »

Kwolek from Richmond.
seacoaster

Re: New Clemson HC is……

Post by seacoaster »

Ipayforlax wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:15 am Kwolek from Richmond.
She did a good job at Richmond, made them a real contender in the A10, although I thought they underperformed this past year. Good gig for her, and an opening in Spiderville.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:53 am
She did a good job at Richmond, made them a real contender in the A10, although I thought they underperformed this past year. Good gig for her, and an opening in Spiderville.
Yep, good hire
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

I think we will see Richmond decline from its recent success. Good Hire.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:12 pm
had to go back and check - but Richmond was 17-2 the last 2 years, pretty impressive until you check the SOS. I like the hire, anytime you have a chance to be a head coach in the ACC - you take it.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

8meterPA wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:19 pm
had to go back and check - but Richmond was 17-2 the last 2 years, pretty impressive until you check the SOS. I like the hire, anytime you have a chance to be a head coach in the ACC - you take it.
Kind of suprised . Thought job would go to maybe a more well known coach. That’s gotta be a great job at a cool place to play.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Laxfan500 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:18 pm
Kind of suprised . Thought job would go to maybe a more well known coach. That’s gotta be a great job at a cool place to play.
She's well known in my neck of the woods. While starting a new program will be tough in the ACC, she's in the ACC💪
Bart

Post by Bart »

I just googled “ Clemson women’s lacrosse coach” and saw nothing official. Only coach i see is club. Nothing on the site either. Soooooo when is the announcement? Kwolek is also still listed under Coaches on the updated 2022 roster.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Bart wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:27 am
I just googled “ Clemson women’s lacrosse coach” and saw nothing official. Only coach i see is club. Nothing on the site either. Soooooo when is the announcement? Kwolek is also still listed under Coaches on the updated 2022 roster.
Sometimes certain programs are lax when it comes to posting announcements on the team website. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you haven't observed yourself. For instance, yesterday afternoon Ohio St welcomed via Twitter and Instagram former High Point attacker Ashley Chisholm coming to Buckeye nation, yet there's still no official write-up/announcement on the team website at this point.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Really? THE ACC...you take it! Why? So if you don't take an ACC JOB, then you should feel shame? Worthless? Consider yourself not a good coach?
I'm surprised at how snooty that actually sounded...or am I being a bit sensitive. Coaching the game at any of the 3 levels should be considered an honor. If you are who I think you are, then you know exactly what I mean. Being a snob is not going to grow the game, but only succeed in keeping it stagnant.

Would love to hear your thoughts and others as well.
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:16 pm
8meterPA wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:19 pm had to go back and check - but Richmond was 17-2 the last 2 years, pretty impressive until you check the SOS. I like the hire, anytime you have a chance to be a head coach in the ACC - you take it.
Really? THE ACC...you take it! Why? So if you don't take an ACC JOB, then you should feel shame? Worthless? Consider yourself not a good coach?
I'm surprised at how snooty that actually sounded...or am I being a bit sensitive. Coaching the game at any of the 3 levels should be considered an honor. If you are who I think you are, then you know exactly what I mean. Being a snob is not going to grow the game, but only succeed in keeping it stagnant.

Would love to hear your thoughts and others as well.

The one, the only--Hair Trigger Larry, folks. WOW!

(Not criticizing you, Larry. Just kind of laughing from the sidelines. No offense intended.)
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:18 pm
Very excited to see this job go to a PROVEN head coach. Kwolek has done an excellent job at Richmond. Obviously that is no guarantee she will do the same at Clemson. But glad to see it go to a proven head coach. These are BIG jobs. And while the trend is to hire the kid who played US or at Northwestern/Maryland etc...Clemson bucks that trend and hires the proven leader and winner. Good for them.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”