Taiwan

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Taiwan

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:21 pm @MD,

Unfortunately you only have a superficial knowledge of the subject and, again, you would be well advised to study up on this subject before posting on it. While I am no expert I did study Mandarin for a short while (did rather poorly I must confess) as I have always had an interest on the subject.

The Hakka are a southern Han Chinese people and have long inhabited Formosa. Chiang Kai Chek was from Xikou, Ningbo which is in the Northeastern part of China. He couldn't even begin to speak Cantonese and I seriously doubt he ever learned to speak Fukkien. Those Taiwanese who were loyal to Mao had far greater claim to the island than did the capitalist refugee usurper from the north.
you're treading pretty heavily here...maybe a little less dismissive and actually address the questions.

Again, so what? They were all usurpers...why not ask the current people/citizens of Taiwan who they 'belong' to?

Pretty sure what that answer would be. And exactly why shouldn't that be the most important question?

Or is your problem communism versus capitalism???

And yeah, I know where the Hakka immigrants were from.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:28 pm
you're treading pretty heavily here...maybe a little less dismissive and actually address the questions.

Again, so what? They were all usurpers...why not ask the current people/citizens of Taiwan who they 'belong' to?

Pretty sure what that answer would be. And exactly why shouldn't that be the most important question?

You're not addressing what I wrote.

Ask the current people who they 'belong to'? Let's go a step further and ask the people loyal to PRC that were displaced who they belong to. Plenty of people were displaced and forced to go to mainland China because of usurper Chiang Kai Chek and his forces. I well recall my Chinese teacher (her father was a Manchu and official in Chiang's regime) who was one such beneficiary - a loyalist was purged from his job, forced to go into the mainland, and he got that official's job. That's what happened all over Formosa. By the way, those who lost their jobs and businesses were never compensated by tyrant Chiang and his forces.

Anyone who denies any of this has a problem with historical truth and incontrovertible fact.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

:lol:

Years ago I had a friend who did volunteer work with kids who were newly immigrated from Taiwan. This back in the 1960s. She told me those kids were taught that Chiang Kai Chek was some kind of hero, a liberator, some kind of Robin Hood and George Washington all rolled into one. She, in turn, told them the truth about his usurpation, his tyranny, and how he betrayed China. While her lessons were popular with the kids, the administrators of the charity were not entirely happy with her words. She did not attempt to re-write history. All she did was to speak the truth.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:40 pm :lol:

Years ago I had a friend who did volunteer work with kids who were newly immigrated from Taiwan. This back in the 1960s. She told me those kids were taught that Chiang Kai Chek was some kind of hero, a liberator, some kind of Robin Hood and George Washington all rolled into one. She, in turn, told them the truth about his usurpation, his tyranny, and how he betrayed China. While her lessons were popular with the kids, the administrators of the charity were not entirely happy with her words. She did not attempt to re-write history. All she did was to speak the truth.
They had “CRT” type of education in China!! I wonder what this woman would think of our current debate?
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Taiwan is a democracy. If a majority (or even a significant minority) of the Taiwanese people wanted to be part of the PRC, it would be easy for them to make that known. In that case, we'd have no justification for helping them defend themselves.

They've had ample time to make their intentions known. They do not want to be part of the PRC as it currently exists.
Their neighboring nations support their independence, as they all watch in fear at what is happening in Hong Kong, Tibet & Xinjiang .
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:31 pm MD searching google right about now... :lol: ;)

I had to laugh. 😂

Related

888BC594-E20D-4D1D-A710-43D019E0D813.jpeg
888BC594-E20D-4D1D-A710-43D019E0D813.jpeg (61.91 KiB) Viewed 839 times
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

old salt wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:35 pm Taiwan is a democracy. If a majority (or even a significant minority) of the Taiwanese people wanted to be part of the PRC, it would be easy for them to make that known. In that case, we'd have no justification for helping them defend themselves.

They've had ample time to make their intentions known. They do not want to be part of the PRC as it currently exists.
Their neighboring nations support their independence, as they all watch in fear at what is happening in Hong Kong, Tibet & Xinjiang .

Allow all the people exiled from Formosa along with their families to vote in such a plebiscite so as to make it a true democratic vote.

old salt

Post by old salt »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:59 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:35 pm Taiwan is a democracy. If a majority (or even a significant minority) of the Taiwanese people wanted to be part of the PRC, it would be easy for them to make that known. In that case, we'd have no justification for helping them defend themselves.

Allow all the people exiled from Formosa along with their families to vote in such a plebiscite so as to make it a true democratic vote.
Or the PRC could allow them to emigrate back to Formosa. Fat chance.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

old salt wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:15 pm Or the PRC could allow them to emigrate back to Formosa. Fat chance.
I'm sure they would love to go back - this way they can sue those who stole their lands and property when Chiang invaded.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

John Xina to administer Taiwan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC_14l9cdXw

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:11 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:28 pm

You're not addressing what I wrote.

Ask the current people who they 'belong to'? Let's go a step further and ask the people loyal to PRC that were displaced who they belong to. Plenty of people were displaced and forced to go to mainland China because of usurper Chiang Kai Chek and his forces. I well recall my Chinese teacher (her father was a Manchu and official in Chiang's regime) who was one such beneficiary - a loyalist was purged from his job, forced to go into the mainland, and he got that official's job. That's what happened all over Formosa. By the way, those who lost their jobs and businesses were never compensated by tyrant Chiang and his forces.

Anyone who denies any of this has a problem with historical truth and incontrovertible fact.
So, he was Manchu, therefore communist?

Are you saying that any area, region, island that China, in whatever form of gov't), ever previously conquered therefore 'belongs' to the PRC?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:31 pm MD searching google right about now... :lol: ;)

:D well, that is funny.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:42 am So, he was Manchu, therefore communist?

Are you saying that any area, region, island that China, in whatever form of gov't), ever previously conquered therefore 'belongs' to the PRC?

Read my post just a little more carefully. My teacher's dad was a Manchu who was subservient to the disloyal and anti-left Chiang who was interested in taking all the wealth of China for himself. The latter was interested in fulfilling a Manchu quota so he appointed him to that position in order to satisfy his goal. IIRC, my teacher said ⅓ of the government was Manchu and that Hans and others would comprise the balance. All of China belongs to its legitimate government and that is in Beijing.

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

I thought the new management installed strict new regulations to prevent trolling. I guess those rules are only enforced against one poster here and do not pertain to the buffet blimp.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:14 am I thought the new management installed strict new regulations to prevent trolling. I guess those rules are only enforced against one poster here and do not pertain to the buffet blimp.
If you are referring to Brooklyn on this topic, I think it's quite possible that he honestly believes what he's writing, meaning that's not trolling. I also don't think he's been posting things that are factually incorrect, he's just got a very different take on what they mean.

I vehemently disagree with his take on this, but I've been asking questions about how his logic applies to similar situations. I haven't gotten a clear answer on that aspect, but it does seem apparent that he thinks that 'capitalist' Taiwan is illegitimate whereas 'communist' PRC is legitimate...

I don't get his logic and will keep pressing that question.

Heck, I may learn something. ;)
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:53 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:14 am I thought the new management installed strict new regulations to prevent trolling. I guess those rules are only enforced against one poster here and do not pertain to the buffet blimp.
If you are referring to Brooklyn on this topic, I think it's quite possible that he honestly believes what he's writing, meaning that's not trolling. I also don't think he's been posting things that are factually incorrect, he's just got a very different take on what they mean.

I vehemently disagree with his take on this, but I've been asking questions about how his logic applies to similar situations. I haven't gotten a clear answer on that aspect, but it does seem apparent that he thinks that 'capitalist' Taiwan is illegitimate whereas 'communist' PRC is legitimate...

We have a difference of opinion here. There is a reason why the buffet blimp is the only person on this forum I will never engage with in any way, shape or form. IMO he is a mentally deranged psychopath. If you choose to waste your time doing so.. knock yourself out.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:13 am

We have a difference of opinion here. There is a reason why the buffet blimp is the only person on this forum I will never engage with in any way, shape or form. IMO he is a mentally deranged psychopath. If you choose to waste your time doing so.. knock yourself out.
You sure do spend a lot of time whining about him. ;)
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:25 am

Not as much as you whine about Pete. You do know the blimp is on my ignore list?

:D
Last edited by cradleandshoot on Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:23 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:25 am

Not as much as you whine about Pete. You do know the blimp is on my ignore list?
I often confront Petey directly.
Sometimes a polite disagreement, sometimes even in agreement, sometimes I say he's trolling....when that's what he's doing. Which has been a lot. Less so since his return from the doghouse, but he's slipping back at a times. IMO.

You claim to 'ignore' Brooklyn yet you mention him constantly, disparagingly. :roll:

Return to “POLITICS”