Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by 51percentcorn »

a fan wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:03 pm I get it now. For you, the entire 2021 season didn't happen, and you're giving Milliman a full mulligan.

I point to the scoreboard.....you point to Covid. Any comparison is pointless.
Wrong again - Of course 2021 happened and again to Milliman's credit he never sought the pandemic as a crutch. But that does't mean you can ignore the following:
- Hopkins changed the entire coaching staff
- Hopkins had zero fall practices
- Hopkins had a suspension of spring practices
- Hopkins played no out of conference opponents - the 2019 juggernaught you keep pointing to the scoreboard for won 4 OOC games of their 8 - so the 2019 team didn't play an NCAA finalist 3 times or an almost NCAA semifinalist 3 times

Had ALL those things except the first been different - not to mention the noise around replacing the Hopkins legend - I believe the record would have likely been different towards the positive side of the ledger - assuming Delta and other variants don't put the country completely off track - we will get to see a more apt comparison
Homer

Post by Homer »

a fan wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:07 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:10 pm So if Hopkins goes 10-3 next year - wins the BIG and wins a first round game - Not saying anything like that is going to happen but it's possible (2011 following 2010) they are 13-4 does that change anything in this equation?
No. Because now Milliman is playing an entirely different roster.

Milliman made his choices with a fairly similar roster (until the end of the year), and won four games. You're not holding your coaches to this same standard. Food for thought.
The 2021 roster wasn't especially similar to 2019.

(I assume that's the relevant question here, because nobody's seriously disputing that 21>20, right? Unless I'm really missing something.)

Defensive starters in 2019:

Goal: Darby
Close: Foley, Colwell, Rapine
Rope: Hubler, Jones, Kuhn (LSM)

Only 1 of those 7 was on the team in 2021, and he was pushed down the depth chart by a transfer and a '20 freshman. So a completely different look there, including the subtraction of a 2nd-team AA at close.

Offensive starters in 2019:

Attack: Epstein, Williams, Marr
Mid: DeSimone, Smith, Concannon

3 of 6 available to play with in 2021. One of those a shell of the player he was in '19, possibly due to lingering effects of injury. Not a total overhaul, but not striking continuity, either.
lorin

Post by lorin »

Homer wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:14 am
51percentcorn wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:10 pm So if Hopkins goes 10-3 next year - wins the BIG and wins a first round game - Not saying anything like that is going to happen but it's possible (2011 following 2010) they are 13-4 does that change anything in this equation?

Milliman made his choices with a fairly similar roster (until the end of the year), and won four games. You're not holding your coaches to this same standard. Food for thought.

(I assume that's the relevant question here, because nobody's seriously disputing that 21>20, right? Unless I'm really missing something.)

Only 1 of those 7 was on the team in 2021, and he was pushed down the depth chart by a transfer and a '20 freshman. So a completely different look there, including the subtraction of a 2nd-team AA at close.

3 of 6 available to play with in 2021. One of those a shell of the player he was in '19, possibly due to lingering effects of injury. Not a total overhaul, but not striking continuity, either.
I watched last couple of games I think Epstein has a big year in 2022
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-love Petro but I have more confidence as a blue jays fan in PM going into 2022 than I would if I were a cuse fan w/Petro as my dc. Watched him struggle for over a decade for the most part and I'm sure changing polo shirts is the difference. we'll see.
-3 weeks until the guys return to homewood.
-as for the big ten next year, I expect we'll be picked number 2 preseason. Rutgers has lost a lot, not sure where penn state and ohio state are in their rebuilds, and michigan after a decade almost in the game hasn't shown they are an annual ncaa threat although they're making progress.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Anyone who suggests there was nothing different about Hop's 2021 season relative to other peer programs is not a person discussing in good faith. Ignore.

Watched a bit of the Adrenaline all-star game yesterday, Sam Teachout had a nice goal in transition where he snared a bad pass, turned and fired it between the goalie's legs. He certainly looks the part of a Division 1 midfielder. Not sure how much PT will be up for grabs immediately but he might be someone to watch.

Heard Prouty might be coming back next season after all. Getting a master's at the business school. As is Reinson. DeSo is doing a master's program within Krieger. Not sure Keogh's deal. With the new faceoff rules you really want at least 2 guys who can take draws, which means ideally you'd have 4 on the roster. Otherwise one guy is standing around at practice.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Ok. You're certainly not wrong. But then the only comparison you can make to judge a coach's choices and decisions are the results---the scoreboard. W's and L's. And these posters don't like that, either.

Pretty obvious to this outside observer that you have a bunch of frustrated fans who had enough of Petro, and at the same time are more than willing to glass-half-full a 4-9 season.

And that's fine. More power to them. This all started from my simple comment: you can understand now WHY Benson put DeSimone at middy.

It's hardly trolling to back up one of Hopkins' own coaches.....
Wood Sticks 4ever

Post by Wood Sticks 4ever »

I see a new commit today from Andrew Bigelow (Class of 2022), a D from Nichols School. Anyone have any info?
The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Wood Sticks 4ever wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:00 pm I see a new commit today from Andrew Bigelow (Class of 2022), a D from Nichols School. Anyone have any info?
Don't know anything, but he looks big. Very apt name.

Reminder that the goalie in that class, Lucas Lawas, reclassed as a 2023 after transferring to the Hill Academy. So the '22s still need a goalie.

Marquis/Collison/Iler is going to be a very fun group on offense. Smith had a good year for Bayport Blue Point on Long Island and plays all over the field for Team 91. I don't know much about the other guys in that class. Didden helped anchor the defense for Deerfield, which may have been the best high school team in the country this spring. Trepeta has been playing with a bulky knee brace after tearing his ACL last year. Should be fine come the spring of '23.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:15 pm
Wood Sticks 4ever wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:00 pm I see a new commit today from Andrew Bigelow (Class of 2022), a D from Nichols School. Anyone have any info?

Reminder that the goalie in that class, Lucas Lawas, reclassed as a 2023 after transferring to the Hill Academy. So the '22s still need a goalie.

Marquis/Collison/Iler is going to be a very fun group on offense. Smith had a good year for Bayport Blue Point on Long Island and plays all over the field for Team 91. I don't know much about the other guys in that class. Didden helped anchor the defense for Deerfield, which may have been the best high school team in the country this spring. Trepeta has been playing with a bulky knee brace after tearing his ACL last year. Should be fine come the spring of '23.
The Marquis-Collison combo has potential to be very fun/ productive Canadian combo. Marquis' vision/passing plus Collison's finishing should work well together. Have seen Iler several times. On the smaller side but quick, has a good shot, and a good passer. Rob Guida may be a good comp/ceiling.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

primitiveskills wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:24 pm

The Marquis-Collison combo has potential to be very fun/ productive Canadian combo. Marquis' vision/passing plus Collison's finishing should work well together. Have seen Iler several times. On the smaller side but quick, has a good shot, and a good passer. Rob Guida may be a good comp/ceiling.
Yup.

Collison IMO is the guy Jr. is waiting for.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Iler unfortunately has had so little reps the past couple years,

I’m not even sure San Ramon Valley High (CA) got in much
more than 7-8 games this year,

Hopefully he is taking advantage of the clubs opening up
and getting in some reps this summer with the Outlaws or
one of those good west coast clubs.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

a fan wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:03 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:14 pm False. You're cherry picking a Hopkins season where the coaches never saw the players in person until January - Except for any other team that switched coaching staffs between 20 and 21 - it was NOT the same. Plus Hopkins and the state of Maryland had very conservative protocols - see jhuo6 posts - and they had to stop practice for a week until te WaWA situation was resolved.
I get it now. For you, the entire 2021 season didn't happen, and you're giving Milliman a full mulligan.

I point to the scoreboard.....you point to Covid. Any comparison is pointless.

That's cool. Enjoy your weekend.
Your scoreboard includes wins against Mt. St. Mary's and Delaware. Pretty sure if Hop was allowed to play OOC games this year they'd have won more than 4 games. And not every team did deal with the same circumstances this season. Hopkins was one of 2 programs that had no fall practice, and they are the only one that was doing so with a new staff. If you can't see how far the team came in a short season from how they played early to how they played in their last 4 games I don't think there's any point even arguing with you.
a fan

Post by a fan »

hmmm wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:22 pm If you can't see how far the team came in a short season from how they played early to how they played in their last 4 games I don't think there's any point even arguing with you.
Case in point of glass half empty for Petro, and glass half full for Milliman. You're making my point for me.

So you want to look at the 10th game of the season through #13 in 2021 (last game, plus the Big Ten Tournament), and tell me how much better the team was playing than they were on their losing streak?

How did Petro do during the Big Ten Tourney in 2020. Have a look. Tell me how Petro did.

And for the record, I absolutely believe that they looked much better as a team when Milliman put in your all-freshman line of middies in the last few games. I agree.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:11 pm

Ok. You're certainly not wrong. But then the only comparison you can make to judge a coach's choices and decisions are the results---the scoreboard. W's and L's. And these posters don't like that, either.

Pretty obvious to this outside observer that you have a bunch of frustrated fans who had enough of Petro, and at the same time are more than willing to glass-half-full a 4-9 season.

And that's fine. More power to them. This all started from my simple comment: you can understand now WHY Benson put DeSimone at middy.

It's hardly trolling to back up one of Hopkins' own coaches.....
You do have some understanding that the Blue Jays played one of the toughest schedules in college lacrosse? Three games were against a national championship finalist and three other games were against an NCAA quarterfinalist that was just a single OT goal away from the Final Four. Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State were not exactly talentless teams.

As Peter Milliman said, the Blue Jays are their record. Still, it’s hard to argue against the notion that the Hopkins team we saw in the B1G tournament was one of the ten best in the country. That’s a lot better than the summer club team we saw in the opener against Ohio State.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

a fan wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:36 pm How did Petro do during the Big Ten Tourney in 2020. Have a look. Tell me how Petro did.
I'm not sure whether you mean '20 because there wasn't a BIG tournament - if that's your point I submit there was a real possibility of them missing said event if the season had continued. If you are referring to '19 - they somehow solved Maryland twice that season and undeniably played well offensively against Penn State in the final (helped by 6 EMO goals). Then they went to South Bend and promptly got boat raced by a team that wasn't boat racing anybody 16-9 (10-3 at the half).
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

A number of current and incoming Jays are playing Jr. A in Canada this summer:

Toronto Beaches: Jakson Raposo and Matt Collison ('22)
Mimico Mountaineers: Johnathan Peshko
Six Nations Arrows: Hayden Fox
Oakville Buzz: Eric McDonald ('22)
Coquitlam Adanacs: Jack Charboneau ('21)
Port Coquitlam Saints: Stu Phillips ('21)

A lot of these games are available online for those interested.

Epstein, McDermott, Marquis ('22), LaDrido, Brunner (in the transfer portal) are all playing in US box leagues. There may be others, but those are the ones I'm aware of. Grimes has been playing with the US U21 team. DeSo and Maher have played some in the LI College league, which I think finishes up this week.

Of note, Phillips is 9th in scoring in the BCJLL, the top box league in western Canada. LaDrido led his team to a California box title, though I'm pretty sure there were only three teams in the league. Epstein and Zinn (RIP) basically accounted for all of their team's scoring in CT.

Todaro ('21) will play in the UA game at Homewood this Saturday on ESPNU.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:57 am A number of current and incoming Jays are playing Jr. A in Canada this summer:

Epstein, McDermott, Marquis ('22), LaDrido, Brunner (in the transfer portal) are all playing in US box leagues. There may be others, but those are the ones I'm aware of. Grimes has been playing with the US U21 team. DeSo and Maher have played some in the LI College league, which I think finishes up this week.

Of note, Phillips is 9th in scoring in the BCJLL, the top box league in western Canada. LaDrido led his team to a California box title, though I'm pretty sure there were only three teams in the league. Epstein and Zinn (RIP) basically accounted for all of their team's scoring in CT.

Thanks for the great update. Busy summer for the young men!

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:57 am A number of current and incoming Jays are playing Jr. A in Canada this summer:

Ryan Evans has also been playing in the Baltimore summer league with a BL alumni team. Grimes has been playing for another team in the same league.
a fan

Post by a fan »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:22 am
a fan wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:36 pm How did Petro do during the Big Ten Tourney in 2020. Have a look. Tell me how Petro did.
I'm not sure whether you mean '20 because there wasn't a BIG tournament - if that's your point I submit there was a real possibility of them missing said event if the season had continued.
Right. Glass half empty. I get it. Petro= fire. And fire= bad. ;)

And yes, my point was that unlike Milliman and his Covid season? Petro didn't get a chance to turn the season around in 2020. Covid took that from him. But Petro doesn't get Covid excuses the way Milliman does.

We both had our say. Best of luck to your new coach. Hopefully, Covid won't invade fall ball again.

I'm not optimistic.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Ok - last time but surely (and I would never call you Shirley) there's a difference between a 19 season or so term coach having a normal season (as defined by all the available practices executed) stopped vs a coach - take Milliman out of it - any coach - never having seen a team before/denied the what 4/5 weeks of fall practice etc. etc. etc. Don't deny that Petro did not get a chance to right the listing ship - the eye test suggests that would have been a monumental task. I have no idea or knowledge about what went down and whether the Daniels cabal just had it in for him or whether the support of influential alumni was waning with the downward trends in performance. I do think the performance of the team in the Hopkins 2021 season was affected by COVID - team practices are better then not - I don't think the 2-4 performance in 2020 was COVID related - COVID prevented any chance to write a different chapter.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”