Fall Ball

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Delco Transplant

Re: Fall Ball

Post by Delco Transplant »

Had a chance to watch some of the Penn Play Day (Penn, Virginia Tech and Penn State) on Sunday at Franklin Field. Unfortunately, the girls were in the rain, but the fans were able to stay dry under the overhang of the second level.

Virginia Tech looked really good in all aspects of the game. Great ball movement offensively, great defense and re-defending. Tech had several forced turnovers against Penn and a few against PSU. I’m not the biggest Sung fan, but he had his team very well prepared - even if he inexplicably had them only drive half way up the night before and stay in Hagerstown, MD 🤔. Keep an eye on Freshman, Kayla Frank. She found the back of the net 4 or 5 times on Sunday, with some great feeds from her teammates.

Penn State looked good and worked in a lot of their players. Freshman Olivia Dirks looks promising.

I realize it is just Fall Ball, but Penn looks to be down a level from previous years. I’ve never understood why Corbett doesn’t sub more players, especially with free movement.

Most importantly, everyone appeared to get through the games in the rain without any injuries.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Delco Transplant wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:14 am
I realize it is just Fall Ball, but Penn looks to be down a level from previous years. I’ve never understood why Corbett doesn’t sub more players, especially with free movement.
I noticed this when Penn played at Loyola. Daughter told me that Karin was playing players for full games then rotating new players in to those spots and the first players sit out the whole next game. There was some subbing, but for the most part that was what I was told she was doing.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:41 am
Delco Transplant wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:14 am
I noticed this when Penn played at Loyola. Daughter told me that Karin was playing players for full games then rotating new players in to those spots and the first players sit out the whole next game. There was some subbing, but for the most part that was what I was told she was doing.
She just doesn't play her bench much. I went to a Penn game a few years ago to see a neighbor's kid play. Penn had a huge lead throughout the second half and she didn't play the kid. The kid was healthy,and is a fantastic kid who I'm sure is a wonderful team member so I highly doubt there was anything disciplinary going on. Plus, it was an away game and a homecoming for this kid who had a bunch of friends and family present. Some coaches just don't care about that stuff.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Badlands wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:02 pm
I went to a Penn game a few years ago to see a neighbor's kid play. Penn had a huge lead throughout the second half and she didn't play the kid. The kid was healthy,and is a fantastic kid who I'm sure is a wonderful team member so I highly doubt there was anything disciplinary going on. Plus, it was an away game and a homecoming for this kid who had a bunch of friends and family present. Some coaches just don't care about that stuff.
I may know that neighbor of yours :D If it is the same kid, she is fantastic.
Anotherlaxdad

Post by Anotherlaxdad »

I'll play along. Towson outscored all of their opponents except VT and NC. NC looked really, really strong. MD not so much, but they had a lot of kids sit the game out so who really knows what's going on there. I heard MD has a lot of injuries this fall. Teams played this fall; Hopkins, Temple, VT, MD, St Joseph's, UNC, Duke, and Florida.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

More fall ball info with a neat little synopsis of the purpose for playing in the fall.

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/2 ... l-schedule
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Dr. Tact

You at the Maryland play day?
Florida, UVA and Maryland.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Nope... Had a HS tournament for youngest in NoVa... You? If so, what are your thoughts?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess UVA was the best squad today
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Yes UVA looked good. Maryland looked Young.
Florida up and down. Lot of holes. Good goalie.
Stanford, not very good.
moonwater21

Post by moonwater21 »

Did anyone happen to catch the scrimmages happening this weekend with BC, Syracuse and Nothwestern? Would love to know how the teams performed and any possible "scores" from the games.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

moonwater21 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:03 pm Did anyone happen to catch the scrimmages happening this weekend with BC, Syracuse and Nothwestern? Would love to know how the teams performed and any possible "scores" from the games.
Rainy and raw today up in Southern NH; might have been a tough day to watch lax down at Cohasset HS.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:54 pm
moonwater21 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:03 pm Did anyone happen to catch the scrimmages happening this weekend with BC, Syracuse and Nothwestern? Would love to know how the teams performed and any possible "scores" from the games.
Rainy and raw today up in Southern NH; might have been a tough day to watch lax down at Cohasset HS.
Yep—rainy and raw and windy in southern Massachusetts where they played. Funny there aren’t any reports on how the games go during fall season—except on here. I follow a lot of teams on Twitter and there ain’t much there either. That’s alright though. 2020 is fast approaching...
moonwater21

Post by moonwater21 »

wlaxnut wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:09 pm
seacoaster wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:54 pm
Yep—rainy and raw and windy in southern Massachusetts where they played. Funny there aren’t any reports on how the games go during fall season—except on here. I follow a lot of teams on Twitter and there ain’t much there either. That’s alright though. 2020 is fast approaching...
Yeah I know! It's easy to find updates during fall ball on the mens side, but for the women's side its like trying to find a needle in a haystack :? They need to have people at Inside Lacrosse going to the fall ball games on the women's side and updating just like they do for the men's. Wlaxnut-- totally agree with you on wanting someone other than Maryland, Northwestern, or UNC to win it all this year. Would love to see my 'cuse girls finally take it this year, but from seeing info on here from UNC they look like they are going to be a strong team again (which is no surprise to me).
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Well, only 2 months away now, though who knows if teams will have Fall Ball this year with covid numbers on the rise. Just as a refresher, this is what a typical Fall Ball schedule looked like a few years ago:

https://bceagles.com/news/2018/9/18/lac ... edule.aspx
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:39 am Well, only 2 months away now, though who knows if teams will have Fall Ball this year with covid numbers on the rise. Just as a refresher, this is what a typical Fall Ball schedule looked like a few years ago:

I was at the committed games in Philly this weekend. Spoke with my daughters coach and they are planning to have a full schedule for Fall Ball. Keep in mind her school has mandated all attending will require a vaccination.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Itsallgood wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:59 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:39 am Well, only 2 months away now, though who knows if teams will have Fall Ball this year with covid numbers on the rise. Just as a refresher, this is what a typical Fall Ball schedule looked like a few years ago:

I was at the committed games in Philly this weekend. Spoke with my daughters coach and they are planning to have a full schedule for Fall Ball. Keep in mind her school has mandated all attending will require a vaccination.
Thanks—I appreciate the info.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:24 pm

Yes all schools are planning on a full fall schedule. Hopefully that happens as planned and people don't go crazy of these rising numbers. Almost every school is requiring vaccinations(at least almost every D1 lax school) so hopefully the numbers stay down within programs.
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:06 pm Yes all schools are planning on a full fall schedule. Hopefully that happens as planned and people don't go crazy of these rising numbers. Almost every school is requiring vaccinations(at least almost every D1 lax school) so hopefully the numbers stay down within programs.
I wonder if spectators will be allowed. Somehow with the trend (in Massachusetts anyway) I'm doubtful. But who knows where we'll all be in 2 months with numbers and mandates.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:24 am
hmmm wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:06 pm Yes all schools are planning on a full fall schedule. Hopefully that happens as planned and people don't go crazy of these rising numbers. Almost every school is requiring vaccinations(at least almost every D1 lax school) so hopefully the numbers stay down within programs.
I wonder if spectators will be allowed. Somehow with the trend (in Massachusetts anyway) I'm doubtful. But who knows where we'll all be in 2 months with numbers and mandates.
I think it will be by League (again) and that if they learned from the NCAA playoffs, limited attendance can be accommodated.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

hmmm wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:06 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:24 pm

Yes all schools are planning on a full fall schedule. Hopefully that happens as planned and people don't go crazy of these rising numbers. Almost every school is requiring vaccinations(at least almost every D1 lax school) so hopefully the numbers stay down within programs.
Fall ball is literally the best lacrosse - beautiful weather in the northeast, road trip to all day play days, parent tailgates, play a bunch of teams that you don't normally see, most of the roster gets to play, and no one face guards!

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”