Boston College

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Boston College

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

BCGold wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:41 am Well said, they are stacked.

AWW and staff are I’m sure already working to figure out how to maximize the talent they have, plus working in the Freshman who have loads of potential, but got sparse playing time due to the players u mentioned ahead of them Then u have the high end recruits coming in.

They have the right chemistry now, and the staff will earn their pay figuring out the best line up to put on the field. Obviously a team can never have enough talent, but ultimately there is only 1 ball, and only so many possessions.

I’m intrigued by BC’s defense maybe more than the offense. Freshman Scales came thru big time in the tourney, as did other young defenders. That’s a group that I think hasn’t reached their potential simply due to age. In other words, how much better can Charlotte North be next year compared to this year? On the other hand, the Frosh Defense that played great still haven’t reached their potential and have a high ceiling.

If everything falls together…and with AWW and staff I’m confident it will…2022 should be a special year for the Eagles, with hopefully a repeat Natty!
All great points, Gold. And I fully agree with you on the defense. So many of these first and second year players who became key contributors in the last two games, I just didn’t see them coming. Did you?
BCGold

Post by BCGold »

I didn’t, but honestly in my opinion defense is harder to judge for the average fan.

We see the 4 and 5 star attackers and midfielders, they are mostly known commodities that coaches have been watching for years. But to me, other than a handful of standouts, defensive players aren’t as heralded coming in as the offensive players. That said, Coach Kent did an amazing job producing a cohesive defensive unit that was the difference in the NCAA Tourney.

Also, a defensive minded midfielder can often slip under the radar for the average fan. Example being Hollie Schliecher who played lights out against Carolina and Syr. Now I’m sure the coaches and players are well aware of those skills/intangibles on the defensive end, but just like in most sports, the goals and assists tend to draw most of the attention.

On another note, if ur bored go back and read the beginning of this thread last year…. expectations for BC were barely top 20!!!
And that’s not a shot at posters who predicted a .500 season due to still recovering from the graduation of Appuzzo, Arsenault and Kent.
Then there was back and forth with posters saying they wouldn’t take Charlotte North on their team as a transfer!

Again, no shot at those opinions, I wasn’t far off from them either

Just highlighting what a magical season it was for BC, and how often times u never know what stars have been waiting in the wings who then thrive when it’s their moment in the sun!
OuttaNowhereWregget

BCGold wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:32 pm I didn’t, but honestly in my opinion defense is harder to judge for the average fan.

We see the 4 and 5 star attackers and midfielders, they are mostly known commodities that coaches have been watching for years. But to me, other than a handful of standouts, defensive players aren’t as heralded coming in as the offensive players. That said, Coach Kent did an amazing job producing a cohesive defensive unit that was the difference in the NCAA Tourney.

Also, a defensive minded midfielder can often slip under the radar for the average fan. Example being Hollie Schliecher who played lights out against Carolina and Syr. Now I’m sure the coaches and players are well aware of those skills/intangibles on the defensive end, but just like in most sports, the goals and assists tend to draw most of the attention.

On another note, if ur bored go back and read the beginning of this thread last year…. expectations for BC were barely top 20!!!
And that’s not a shot at posters who predicted a .500 season due to still recovering from the graduation of Appuzzo, Arsenault and Kent.
Then there was back and forth with posters saying they wouldn’t take Charlotte North on their team as a transfer!

Again, no shot at those opinions, I wasn’t far off from them either

Just highlighting what a magical season it was for BC, and how often times u never know what stars have been waiting in the wings who then thrive when it’s their moment in the sun!

🤣 I remember – I was chief among the naysayers. Yeah, if there are rockstar defenders, so to speak, Sydney Scales is well on her way to being one. I’m still stunned at how she shut down Jamie Ortega in the semi‘s. That was something else. Hunter Roman has some nifty skills. Can’t wait to see how she has improved for next season. And I’m sure I’m leaving out others. You’re so right about Hollie. She was so impressive this year. She’s almost impossible to ride in the midfield. So surehanded and she’s got amazing moves. Belle Smith as well.

And yes—kudos and more kudos to Coach Kent. I have never seen such a shark-like defense that pounced on vulnerable attackers. As soon as they sensed a weakness they went on attack themselves.
BCGold

Re: Boston College, Sam Apuzzo

Post by BCGold »

As expected, Sam Apuzzo elevated to Asst Coach position that opened up with Kayla Trainor’s getting Syr job
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Boston College, Sam Apuzzo

BCGold wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:15 pm As expected, Sam Apuzzo elevated to Asst Coach position that opened up with Kayla Trainor’s getting Syr job
How do you think she’ll do? How much of an assistant coach’s job is just passing along to the players what the head coach wants, and how much is their own thoughts and strategies which they submit to the head coach in team meetings and such? Coach Acacia and Kayla Treanor had a very special relationship. Anyone watching them on the sidelines over the past few years could pick that up easily. I’m sure she will be missed very much.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Apuzzo will do great. She is so familiar with the team and all of the opposing ACC teams she will face. She will go from leading the draw team to leading the offense. She is brilliant offensively and the team loves and respects her. How many offensive players can you name that dominated the game without being a ball dominant player. So much of her game was about high lax IQ - off ball movement, dynamic cutting, sharing the ball, exposing the team's weaknesses, etc. Great move for BC to keep her and not look outside the BC network.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:10 pm Apuzzo will do great. She is so familiar with the team and all of the opposing ACC teams she will face. She will go from leading the draw team to leading the offense. She is brilliant offensively and the team loves and respects her. How many offensive players can you name that dominated the game without being a ball dominant player. So much of her game was about high lax IQ - off ball movement, dynamic cutting, sharing the ball, exposing the team's weaknesses, etc. Great move for BC to keep her and not look outside the BC network.
Agree on all. And WOW was she tenacious on the ride. She caused so many turnovers on the redefend during her playing days. As the color guy says during this sequence--she never stops working. If she can inspire her charges to ride with the same energy and determination she did, the rest of the NCAA will be miserable playing the Eagles while she's an assistant coach at The Heights.

BCGold

Post by BCGold »

Thanks for that info on Sam

I ASSUMED that she had all the attributes u describe, but it seems u have more first hand knowledge that confirms that she has what it takes to replace a coach of Kayla Trainor’s level.
OuttaNowhereWregget

BCGold wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:41 am AWW and staff are I’m sure already working to figure out how to maximize the talent they have, plus working in the Freshman who have loads of potential, but got sparse playing time due to the players u mentioned ahead of them Then u have the high end recruits coming in.

They have the right chemistry now, and the staff will earn their pay figuring out the best line up to put on the field. Obviously a team can never have enough talent, but ultimately there is only 1 ball, and only so many possessions.
These are interesting and challenging things to consider. If speculating about the starting lineup of attackers and midfielders making up the seven for next season:
North, Urbank, Medjid, Smith, Mossman, Courtney and Cassidy Weeks.

Some of these players are already written in ink--maybe the first 5? After that, will either of the Hasselbeck sisters move into a starting role? Agostino? Coach Acacia has no reservations about putting rookies into starting roles as we saw last season. There's an old proverb--"a persons gift makes room for them". That was certainly the case with Belle Smith and Sydney Scales. Will there be more players among the incoming underclass for 2022? And I notice I haven't even mentioned those who are now about to enter their sophomore years (well--Annabelle Hasselbeck but I grouped her in with her younger sister Mallory).

How key is chemistry and how does one manage that as a coach? Have you observed other situations where chemistry changed (not for the better) due to the insertion of younger (though by no means less talented or skilled) players into the mix?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:58 am
BCGold wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:41 am AWW and staff are I’m sure already working to figure out how to maximize the talent they have, plus working in the Freshman who have loads of potential, but got sparse playing time due to the players u mentioned ahead of them Then u have the high end recruits coming in.

These are interesting and challenging things to consider. If speculating about the starting lineup of attackers and midfielders making up the seven for next season:
North, Urbank, Medjid, Smith, Mossman, Courtney and Cassidy Weeks.

Some of these players are already written in ink--maybe the first 5? After that, will either of the Hasselbeck sisters move into a starting role? Agostino? Coach Acacia has no reservations about putting rookies into starting roles as we saw last season. There's an old proverb--"a persons gift makes room for them". That was certainly the case with Belle Smith and Sydney Scales. Will there be more players among the incoming underclass for 2022? And I notice I haven't even mentioned those who are now about to enter their sophomore years (well--Annabelle Hasselbeck but I grouped her in with her younger sister Mallory).

How key is chemistry and how does one manage that as a coach? Have you observed other situations where chemistry changed (not for the better) due to the insertion of younger (though by no means less talented or skilled) players into the mix?
This issue -- how do we maintain our esprit de corps with only X number of kids playing -- is one of the hardest parts of any team culture to establish and maintain. Every kid on the roster was the best or one of the two or three best players on their high school roster, and now they are not seeing the field and have to be motivated to be part of the scout team, and get whatever playing time the game and opponents warrant and the coaching staff gives you. The Fifth Year Covid Holdovers have to be an issue for any team like BC. North and Urbank stay? This means two excellent attackers sit or have a ton less playing time. Agostino and Hasselbeck-2 come in and "steal" or earn playing time from the Weeks sisters, who just last year played a pivotal role in winning a trophy? So I'd say your first four are written in stone. From the tape I have seen, I think Agostino will see the field; her speed is Division 1 caliber.

I don't know how college coaches manage "chemistry" under these circumstances, other than by establishing a genuine and fair meritocracy understood and accepted by the kids (what the coaches call "buy-in"). And the dynamics change every year. Consider this hypothetical: Hasselbeck-1; she's a good player, but (in my view) not yet a great player. Agostino and little sister come in, and she drops to No. 6 on the midfield depth chart (behind Weeks, Weeks, Smith, Agostino, and Hasselbeck-2). All you can say is that the kids playing the best in practice and in the games will get the bulk of the PT. The rest of you have to be committed to improving and doing whatever it is you can to help. With a roster of 40 alphas and maybe 15-18 slots for big important minutes on the field, this is a tough and relentlessly recurring issue.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Few critical thngs ... the BC team is all about chemistry and unselfish play so that will always be a key factor. Urbank is not coming back so that opens up an attacker spot. The younger Hasselback will play attack in college so she will complete with Kayla Martello and few other young players for playing time. BC plays 2 lines of middies most of the year (shortened that during the final four) so girls like Agostino will have a good shot at playing time.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Lax101 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:18 am Few critical thngs ... the BC team is all about chemistry and unselfish play so that will always be a key factor. Urbank is not coming back so that opens up an attacker spot. The younger Hasselback will play attack in college so she will complete with Kayla Martello and few other young players for playing time. BC plays 2 lines of middies most of the year (shortened that during the final four) so girls like Agostino will have a good shot at playing time.
I actually thought Urbank was coming back; thanks for the clarification.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:31 am
Lax101 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:18 am Few critical thngs ... the BC team is all about chemistry and unselfish play so that will always be a key factor. Urbank is not coming back so that opens up an attacker spot. The younger Hasselback will play attack in college so she will complete with Kayla Martello and few other young players for playing time. BC plays 2 lines of middies most of the year (shortened that during the final four) so girls like Agostino will have a good shot at playing time.
I actually thought Urbank was coming back; thanks for the clarification.
I didn't either. From everything I saw it seemed clear she was leaving, but knew it was possible she might still have another year since she DNP in 2017, thank you!
BCGold

Post by BCGold »

I’m sure the Maryland’s/North Carolina/Northwestern dynasty type teams have faced similar talent rich dilemmas with stacked championship teams absorbing top notch recruiting classes… obviously a pleasant dilemma to have, but ur right, coaches have to be careful how they handle those situations.

Gotta remember too that unf injuries occur, as do circumstances non-lacrosse related, so having depth is huge.

We could have the same discussion about about dealing with a plethora of talent for Syr or Carolina as well, I’m sure it’ll all work out, but if not the transfer portal is available.

Imagine Alabama/Clemson/Ohio State football every year, or Kentucky/Kansas in hoops. Same deal where incoming recruits or redshirted players may be more talented than those who won championships the year before.
OuttaNowhereWregget

seacoaster wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:27 pm
Lax247 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:17 pm
seacoaster wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:08 pm
Lax247 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:36 pm
njbill wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:04 pm Someone posted links to a couple of Syracuse post game interviews. Haven’t seen any of the BC interviews, which I assume included North. I would hope one of the reporters would’ve asked her if she is returning. The reporter who interviewed the BC coach on TV after the game failed to do so.
North and Urbank will return for 2022.
Urbank was a senior in 2020, I think, and a Graduate student this year. Does she still have medical redshirt eligibility (from the knee issues)?
yes
Good. Love her gritty game.
Last edited by OuttaNowhereWregget on Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

BCGold wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:46 pm I’m sure the Maryland’s/North Carolina/Northwestern dynasty type teams have faced similar talent rich dilemmas with stacked championship teams absorbing top notch recruiting classes… obviously a pleasant dilemma to have, but ur right, coaches have to be careful how they handle those situations.

Gotta remember too that unf injuries occur, as do circumstances non-lacrosse related, so having depth is huge.

We could have the same discussion about about dealing with a plethora of talent for Syr or Carolina as well, I’m sure it’ll all work out, but if not the transfer portal is available.

Imagine Alabama/Clemson/Ohio State football every year, or Kentucky/Kansas in hoops. Same deal where incoming recruits or redshirted players may be more talented than those who won championships the year before.
Well, yeah; my post focused on BC because this is the BC thread. But I am saying it about coaching at a high level in college sports. Every year is a new challenge at establishing and maintaining esprit de corps.
BCGold

Post by BCGold »

Yup, that’s totally how I read it, agree completely
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

More accolades for the 2021 Eagles as AWW was just named the IWLCA D1 Coach of the Year. This is the second time she has won the award in four seasons, having also won it in 2017 in a rare instance in which it went to a coach who didn't win the national championship.
https://www.iwlca.org/news_article/show/1175730
OuttaNowhereWregget

Belle Smith is Inside Lacrosse’s Rookie of the Year. Easy choice.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... itle/58247

Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Such an exciting player to watch on both ends of the field. Rare to see a true two way middy who has great offensive skills. Will be fun to watch her develop as a player. She got better and better as the year went on.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”