New Pro Women's League

D1 Womens Lacrosse
spartanslynx

Re: New Pro Women's League

Post by spartanslynx »

O'Donnell, Douty, Benson, Ohlmiller pick the first week teams 7 pm ET live through Facebook

https://facebook.com/events/s/athletes- ... 801979635/

I expect Treanor, Arsenault, Cummings & Tumolo in the first round.
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

ProudPapa wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:27 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:44 pm As I have said many times before The world is not ready for Pro Women's Lacrosse. Men's Pro is only doing okay because of the Big Bucks and Big Network behind it. The women have neither. The WNBA exist because of the support of the NBA. If the NBA decided tomorrow to withdraw from the WNBA, that league folds overnight. Sit down and watch a WNBA game. More than half the arena is covered in Blackout screens because they are not drawing anything close to NBA numbers. If Basketball(one of the three most popular sports in the world) isn't drawing the numbers, then what do you think Women's Lacrosse will do?

The time is not right for this. Lacrosse still needs to grow and DIVERSIFY before it can really gain mass acceptance and popularity.

BTW...if you don't believe me, fact check and post your findings. I have no problem admitting if I'm wrong. And keep in mind that Women's/Girl's athletics are my Business.

The men’s league is not doing “okay”. It is a fiscal disaster. The women’s league will fare even worse. The only fans will be the parents of the players.
Magically prove your claim. How can you prove it is a "fiscal disaster"?

Hint: You can't.
totc

Post by totc »

How can Premier Lacrosse be a disaster when they got $13 million in venture capital in its first preseason?
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Maybe the fact that the players are getting paid about half of what they were originally told they were going to receive is a good indication that the PLL isn't doing all that well. I would guess the Rabil's are doing fine though.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

totc wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:05 am How can Premier Lacrosse be a disaster when they got $13 million in venture capital in its first preseason?
And I have heard that they have had a huge burn rate with that money.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

The ladies are getting some pretty good coverage this weekend. Games will be on FS1, CBS Sports Network and YouTube. Doubt if I'll watch any of it but, they got some pretty good networks to sign on.

LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

I'm sorry, but I don't care about the network coverage. Where are the games going to be played at? What's the capacity of the venues? Who will attend? The TV coverage will be dubious, because I am trying to figure out who will sit to watch a Women's Lacrosse game on a nice Summer day.

I will hit my old refrain again...show me that there has been significant growth in attendance of the College game that will justify the presence of a Professional League? I support Girls Lacrosse at the Club/Middle School/High School level. I also support Women's Lacrosse at the Collegiate level and ALL 3 DIVISIONS. My dedication should never be questioned, but I do not see how the decision was made for a Pro League.

I'm interested to hear others respond to my take.

(BTW...I will watch a little on Saturday and Sunday. My Health has me limited in mobility, thus a captured audience.)
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:02 pm I'm sorry, but I don't care about the network coverage. Where are the games going to be played at? What's the capacity of the venues? Who will attend? The TV coverage will be dubious, because I am trying to figure out who will sit to watch a Women's Lacrosse game on a nice Summer day.

I will hit my old refrain again...show me that there has been significant growth in attendance of the College game that will justify the presence of a Professional League? I support Girls Lacrosse at the Club/Middle School/High School level. I also support Women's Lacrosse at the Collegiate level and ALL 3 DIVISIONS. My dedication should never be questioned, but I do not see how the decision was made for a Pro League.

I'm interested to hear others respond to my take.

(BTW...I will watch a little on Saturday and Sunday. My Health has me limited in mobility, thus a captured audience.)
I agree with everything you say, and have said, on this subject, Larry. I've seen two other pro women's lacrosse ventures crash and burn since I've been paying attention. It took years for the NFL to catch on. Folks preferred the college game for decades. Women's lacrosse is a long way away from that. It would be fun to watch some of the greats still playing. But that's just not reality right now. As long as they leave us what we have, I'm content.
totc

Post by totc »

Watching the game; when the league said "limited access" for the first doubleheader, they meant it. Fewer people in the stands than at some JV games. Why did AU do this? It's fiscal suicide selling tickets to only a third of the doubleheaders. Especially when you consider that Sunday afternoon's games will be held in 93-degree heat.
DMac

Post by DMac »

How are you watching it?
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:19 pm How are you watching it?
CBS Sports Network here in Massachusetts via YouTube TV—for me anyway...
DMac

Post by DMac »

Found it, thanks.
McCool with the cool goal.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Cuse gals killin' it!!!
Majorana...GOAL!!!!!
Treanor...GOAL!!!!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Wow, just saw Halle's first goal....nothing but sweeeet!
OuttaNowhereWregget

In case folks want to take a little gander at some of the beginning of the first game, here's a 9 minute sample. DMac's right--Halle's 1st goal was something. She's obviously still got the chops. Her second shot was a cannon blast off the post. Both included here:

DMac

Post by DMac »

Treanor to Majorana to Levy....GOAL!!! Gotta love those Cuse gals.
Nice toss by Halle.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Changed it up a bit this time.
Levy to Majorana to Treanor....GOAL!!!!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Cuse wins it....ooops, Team Ohmiller wins it 11-3.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Overall, watching the game lost its lustre soon after. I cut out after a quarter or so. Not much more than a novelty. No continuity for the teams and which players are on which teams. The league has new teams chosen every Monday. It was thrilling to see Majorana score the way she did and rip that other shot off the post, but next week she's on a new team wearing new colors (unless she gets picked for the same team again). Not the same as a real established league with teams that have the same players each week, teams that make trades, sign free agents, draft out of college, vie for playoff spots, have homefield advantage, etc.

On the bright side, NCAA D1 lacrosse is only 6-1/2 months away...
DMac

Post by DMac »

I imagine there will be many with a lot of criticisms...league can't make it, 10v10 makes it too much like the men's game, shorter field....etc. For myself, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Fast moving game, very few whistles, very good D, very good stickwork, passing, shooting. Don't care about re-choosing of teams, whether or not the league will make it...etc, just enjoy watching these gals play. Absolutely terrific players, enjoyed seeing Halle play again, Treanor too, as well as others. It's fun to watch in my book.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”